Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

I suppose a binary bus would just be a taxi?

Mototaxi, the pillion seat is either occupied or it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I am duty-bound at this point to recommend "Encounter at Farpost: thread for posting whenever you watch a TNG episode" which is mostly me expressing surprise at how racist the first season is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Frakes specifically pushed hard for a male actor, 'cause he owns, but Berman gonna Berman

Always seemed like a cool dude even before I heard that story. Rikers a pretty great character in that he's kind of a sexhaver in the Kirk mould, but he's always respectful and consent is his kink. Plus you know a tromboner can give good head

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Always seemed like a cool dude even before I heard that story. Rikers a pretty great character in that he's kind of a sexhaver in the Kirk mould, but he's always respectful and consent is his kink. Plus you know a tromboner can give good head

Yeah absolutely. Amazing that the loving 90s had a better example of a sex positive male character who isn't a letchy weirdo or abuser or (frankly just a flat out rapist) than anything I can think of since

Like, TNG has hardcore End of History vibes and sometimes it's laughably naive and optimistic - looking back on it from Hell Year 2021 - but also it's flat out refreshing compared to, well, anything post 9/11 and all the Hard Men Making Hard Choices poo poo that essentially became mandatory

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 25, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah absolutely. Amazing that the loving 90s had a better example of a sex positive male character who isn't a letchy weirdo or abuser or (frankly just a flat out rapist) than anything I can think of since

Like, TNG has hardcore End of History vibes and sometimes it's laughably naive and optimistic - looking back on it from Hell Year 2021 - but also it's flat out refreshing compared to, well, anything post 9/11 and all the Hard Men Making Hard Choices poo poo that essentially became mandatory

I know what you mean about the End of History vibes but I do feel duty bound to point out that in Star Trek's history of Earth the 90s were a period where ultrafascist techbros try to genetically engineer themselves into Ubermensch and then embark on a global war to enslave the rest of mankind and kill each other, and then when the unaugmented humans won the war, they learned basically nothing and collapsed into a thermonuclear WWIII. Earth only reached the End of History when everyone finally got together, said "gently caress that" and decided to share the Earth in common. So while it had the "everything will be alright" vibe, Star Trek held no illusions that Paradise was a straight road away from post-Cold War global capitalism.

I really liked the optimistic 90s era of Star Trek, with its fundamentally positive view of human nature. As you say, it's a refreshing antidote to the very jaded and cynical view of humanity you see pretty much everywhere else. Its nice to watch a show where the main characters are regularly the ones saying "look, let's stop fighting, and talk" rather than reaching for guns to solve every problem.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Reveilled posted:

Earth only reached the End of History when everyone finally got together, said "gently caress that" and decided to share the Earth in common.

You mean when aliens showed up

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1463886950704820232

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can only understand this to mean he proposes to replace all young men with young women, so that the demographics match up with the role models.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Watching doctor who would also make me want to do crime but not specifically because of who is playing the doctor.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
doctor who stole the tardis, which is a police box.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I really liked the optimistic 90s era of Star Trek, with its fundamentally positive view of human nature. As you say, it's a refreshing antidote to the very jaded and cynical view of humanity you see pretty much everywhere else. Its nice to watch a show where the main characters are regularly the ones saying "look, let's stop fighting, and talk" rather than reaching for guns to solve every problem.

A joke I like to make is that the reason I'm so angry and disappointed all the time as an adult is that I was brought up on TNG and just kinda expected that people in real life would be similarly professional in their attitude to work and respectful towards each other, and willing to talk about things calmly and rationally

Like, just imagine having a single workplace interaction as productive, mature and generally as decent as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

lol

lmao

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
dr whom has given rise to generations of poor grammar :nono:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Yeah I really love the fact that everyone is a decent person and good at what they do. I suppose nothing's impossible when you have luxury space communism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

dr whom has given rise to generations of poor grammar :nono:
Dr Who is actually the name of the frankenstein.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

I watched through every season a year or so back, and TNG's optimism is so refreshing in light of modern TV just being so obsessively grimdark. To the point that it's becoming so relentlessly dark you can't even put a cartoon on without it suddenly turning into Tarantino.

It's odd but a lot of people really, really liked Pike in the new season exactly because he was a return to that kind of unrelenting positivity, even in the face of recieving the foreknowledge of his absolutely brutal fate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You mean when aliens showed up

Yeah important to remember that in Star Trek canonically we were too stupid to save ourselves and humanity basically owes it's continued existence and prosperity to Vulcan intervention.

Nevertheless, Irish Reunification 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I watched through every season a year or so back, and TNG's optimism is so refreshing in light of modern TV just being so obsessively grimdark. To the point that it's becoming so relentlessly dark you can't even put a cartoon on without it suddenly turning into Tarantino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0FrhRKYEts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 90s itself was pretty full of grimdark comics, bored office drone turns 2edgy4u, and
tho.

But yes, it hadn't seeped obsessively into everything, and at least it was purposefully amoral or morally ambiguous, even if that wasn't how it was received, which was better than the post-9/11 "and the guy whose toes we ate was a terrorist, so everyone was happy"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

"and the guy whose toes we ate was a terrorist, so everyone was happy"

Especially Tarantino.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They turned Steve Austin into a Irish woman so I'm going to steal a car.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I must have missed the Star Wars movie where Luke Skywalker was magically gender swapped. Or was that a Disney+ show?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

christ I remember this lmao

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I did TNG and then DS9 all the way through with my younger lad over the last year or two or three-
There's some great episodes in TNG but goddamn it had a lot of filler and aye, it really went on the roddenberry utopian view

Going then to DS9 was a sharp contrast in tone and while I prefer it a lot in terms of story/quality, I did miss the childhood feel of TNG already expressed itt of a society that got past a lot of its bullshit

Gonna do voyager too but I'm cutting it down to about a dozen episodes just for the plot cause even childhood me knew most of that poo poo was terrible

If you like any trek and haven't bingewatched lower decks stop what you are doing, pirate that poo poo and go have yourself a drat good time imo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

If you like any trek and haven't bingewatched lower decks stop what you are doing, pirate that poo poo and go have yourself a drat good time imo

I made it 15 minutes into Lower Decks and gave up. Does it improve?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DesperateDan posted:

I did TNG and then DS9 all the way through with my younger lad over the last year or two or three-
There's some great episodes in TNG but goddamn it had a lot of filler and aye, it really went on the roddenberry utopian view

You're absolutely right about TNG but honestly I enjoyed a lot of the filler because part of what I loved about the show was the soapy stuff, getting to know the characters and seeing them interact and be normal flawed people with dumb problems in addition to being hotshot Starfleet officers.

Necrothatcher posted:

Are you mad, Lower Decks is great! It's really cool that they commissioned it as an actual official canon Trek that can use the same characters etc but they let themselves have fun with it and don't take themselves at all seriously, unlike some of the mainline entries.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Gonna do voyager too but I'm cutting it down to about a dozen episodes just for the plot cause even childhood me knew most of that poo poo was terrible

I've just done Voyager, and did the same only watched selected episodes.

And personally can't stand Lower Decks. I don't see why Rick and Morty'ing something that tries to make a serious message sometimes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realise there was one in Stratford. It's replaced the lovely little Pizza Hut too by the looks of Google maps. :dance:

There used to be a Wendy's in Oxford St back in the 80s. My friends and I used to spend hours and hours in there on a Saturday afternoon / evening. Their burgers were great (and square LOL)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Going then to DS9 was a sharp contrast in tone and while I prefer it a lot in terms of story/quality, I did miss the childhood feel of TNG already expressed itt of a society that got past a lot of its bullshit
DS9 was interesting because it's trying, in a cack-handed way, to adress the issue of what happens when you create the perfect* society, and how you deal with those who are not part of it. Like the trad Ferenghi's absolute hatred of the idea that human replicators could end up destroying their economy.

Or the prime directive which really comes across as liberal handwringing combined with a decent dose of bootstraps motivation; maybe these noble savages deserve the dignity of dying of the plague, and so on. It's just interesting to look back on in the light of refugee problems where the west acknowledges that the rest of the world is going to poo poo, and we have the near-unlimited resources to stop it or at the very least help, but also we've monstered the outsiders to the point that people panic about muslamic rapists every time they see a non-pink face in tesco. So we can't let them in of course, not until they've passed the tests and proven that they're one of the good ones.

And then you have Code of Honor which is just wild to think about anyone clearing for TV.

In DS9, I feel like Berman never really understood what it was that made the fed powerful, so you have stupid things like various Starfleet officers talking about wages and not being able to afford things, and in general Trek moves from an implied moniless society in early TNG to later seasons where they're playing poker and the engineer has to drop out of a game that's 'too rich for his blood.'

* Perfect being a relative term, in that the Cardassians and Dominion both thought that their civilisations were 'perfect' and that anyone not living within their systems merely needed to be converted. The Borg also being a more obvious example of this, though not as present in DS9.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I feel like everybody in this thread is aware of the Culture novels but just in case, they do an excellent job of depicting a utopian spacefaring society grappling with how to interact with others. Reading them felt like a natural next step for someone who enjoyed TNG and DS9. Plus you have the added benefits of books being able to depict some wild poo poo that no TV show has the budget for and far less bland politics from a singular author rather than a writers room

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though conversely I think that at least in the ones I read, banks doesn't... really spend a lot of time with a lot of the concepts he creates? Like the societal stuff seems very much like a backdrop to just watching characters go around and do things that... in general do not seem to necessitate the setting they are occuring in, really.

This can be a good or bad thing I suppose depending on what you want, but also I found the books I read to be absolutely miserable in tone and simultaneously hard to follow and also seemingly only somewhat interested in the actual weird world they take place in. It is weird enough to be disorienting but that isn't the point of the book.

I read consider phlebas and the player of games and then got half way through excession before I stopped because I wasn't really enjoying any of them all that much.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also judging by the queues it's possible that at least a million or two of those journeys to and from Stratford were people going to try out the Wendy's on the Broadway - it's loving good, by the way, best price/taste ratio for a burger I've ever had.

Yeah I am familiar with Wendys from when I lived in the US. It's an aight burg in general, havent had the UK one yet.

There's a Popeye's round there too as of about 5 days ago, apparently.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

josh04 posted:

I am duty-bound at this point to recommend "Encounter at Farpost: thread for posting whenever you watch a TNG episode" which is mostly me expressing surprise at how racist the first season is.

Ha last time I saw a random TNG episode on telly and put it on, it turned out to be the season 1 episode where they visit a planet of African stereotypes

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

The first ep is terrible, the main character is awful but tones it down throughout the season and they get into some really good trek

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

happyhippy posted:

I've just done Voyager, and did the same only watched selected episodes.

And personally can't stand Lower Decks. I don't see why Rick and Morty'ing something that tries to make a serious message sometimes.

The Rick and Morty style of writing is definitely a barrier to entry, but honestly there's clearly a ton of love and respect for Trek's history and world building in there. It's also not just injokes, there's some actually good critique of things like class divisions and racism within the Star Trek universe in there too.

Plus it correctly identifies Miles O'brien as the most important person in Starfleet history.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

It's brilliant, man, seriously

ThomasPaine posted:

You're absolutely right about TNG but honestly I enjoyed a lot of the filler because part of what I loved about the show was the soapy stuff, getting to know the characters and seeing them interact and be normal flawed people with dumb problems in addition to being hotshot Starfleet officers.

:hai:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Though conversely I think that at least in the ones I read, banks doesn't... really spend a lot of time with a lot of the concepts he creates? Like the societal stuff seems very much like a backdrop to just watching characters go around and do things that... in general do not seem to necessitate the setting they are occuring in, really.

This can be a good or bad thing I suppose depending on what you want, but also I found the books I read to be absolutely miserable in tone and simultaneously hard to follow and also seemingly only somewhat interested in the actual weird world they take place in. It is weird enough to be disorienting but that isn't the point of the book.

I read consider phlebas and the player of games and then got half way through excession before I stopped because I wasn't really enjoying any of them all that much.

Banks pretty much made it clear that he couldn't really write about people just hanging out in utopia because it'd be boring as gently caress, so he always wrote about stuff going on around the periphery of the Culture, and usually with newcomers or outsiders as protagonists

But if it didn't work for you, it didn't work for you

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

You've definitely given it a fair shot with those books, so I guess I'll just say that I found the tone to be broadly optimistic. A lot of the books focus on people who don't really fit in with the broader Culture and who need something more than living in luxury gay space communism to feel fulfilled, so I agree that each book only gives you a little piece of what their society is like. I enjoy the puzzle aspect of figuring out how it all works, but Banks also wrote this for people that want an overview of the big picture.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Yes. When has a Star Trek show's 1st season not sucked? They get a lot less Rick and Morty later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure I understand that, as I said the sort of just... there element of the setting could be a benefit, it gives the writing a kind of dreamy quality almost where absurd stuff just gets offhandedly mentioned as being in the background of a scene.

I think the main things that put me off are probably just the tone, despite being theoretically in the amazing space future, all the bits I read were profoundly miserable and depressing, which given what I understand of his other work doesn't seem surprising. And also I would describe it as character focused but I'll be damned if I can tell you anything about the personality of any of the characters. I would summarize book 1 as "guy goes and visits the worst places in space while everyone gets killed but it probably looks extremely cool" and the second one as "guy goes and visits another horrible place in space and has angst and there is less cool stuff to look at" And I don't remember anything about excession other than the spaceships have IRC and like to Post.

The only parts I actually remember are some of the offhand imagery, but that was never seemingly the point of the books and I can't remember what the gently caress I actually spent most of my time reading except that there was a lot of focus on characters I have absolutely no memory of whatsoever so it can't have been that interesting.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 25, 2021