Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

The correct sequence can be found by looking for mistakes in the bathroom tile pattern
so procedurally generated, is it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ashcans posted:

The correct sequence can be found by looking for mistakes in the bathroom tile pattern

Speaking of that.......
The tiles in my shower are all the same but every so often at a regular interval, there is a tile with a little leaf/ flowery type design on it.
There's only maybe half a dozen of those ones In the shower but one was put in there upside down. Or possibly only one was put in right side up. Luckily it doesn't bother me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://www.peak-experience-japan.com/blog/315

quote:

The most famous element of this shrine is the Yomeimon gate, designated as a National Treasure. It is also called as Higurashi mon (the gate of the setting sun) because one could gaze upon it all day and never tire! It is ornamented with many sculptures and pillars and a pillar is reversed. The reason why it is reversed, because it is said that the perfect work will be destroyed one day, so that it had been built intentionally unfinished.

But I don't think this applies to your bathroom tile…

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I showed my dad all your responses to the Mystery Switch and he said, "These people are pretty funny, and some of them have used enough neurons that they deserve more information." He is going to write up a list of everything he knows about the switch/wiring and hopefully that will answer some questions (and probably ask more).

In the meantime, here are some more pics.

Switch A--turns the lamp off/porch light on or vice versa.
Switch B--turns the porch light off if it's on, has no effect on the lamp
Outlet C--lamp must be plugged in and turned on for the porch light to work
Wire Nut D--always hot
Wire Nut E--"I don't know" (three wires twisted together)
???--this wire exists but may or may not actually go to the bulb

There are also wires outside of the box! Who knows. More to come.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 26, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Vim Fuego posted:

The student and the master were in the PO's house. The master turned on the light and the student saw an array of thirty switches.

The student said "How can this be? Are there 6 studs? Are there thirty old work boxes stuck to the drywall?"

The master said "lol that you think there are boxes."

The student was struck with awe.

perfection

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

wood

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The stairs would have been neat on their own. That floor is ugly.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah it's fine as an accent, but the whole floor is just too loud

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

creaks, does it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"Oh, no!" I shout in overacted horror as I spill my bucket of liquid wood grain down the stairs in the background of an infomercial.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wood knot.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Speaking of puzzle games:

https://i.imgur.com/iX8Mb3g.mp4

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

this looks like somebody is learning to apply textures to a game map

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I like it, but if you're going to do poo poo like that, maybe make your own bannister railing/posts instead of buying a Home Depot special.

I wonder how long it took to cut all of that and puzzle it together.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I showed my dad all your responses to the Mystery Switch and he said, "These people are pretty funny, and some of them have used enough neurons that they deserve more information." He is going to write up a list of everything he knows about the switch/wiring and hopefully that will answer some questions (and probably ask more).

In the meantime, here are some more pics.

Switch A--turns the lamp off/porch light on or vice versa.
Switch B--turns the porch light off if it's on, has no effect on the lamp
Outlet C--lamp must be plugged in and turned on for the porch light to work
Wire Nut D--always hot
Wire Nut E--"I don't know" (three wires twisted together)
???--this wire exists but may or may not actually go to the bulb

There are also wires outside of the box! Who knows. More to come.

Can you pull the outlet out and get a pic of its wiring?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

That's just insane and ridiculous and it almost feels intentional on the part of the installers. It's sort of magical actually.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Open fridge, open oven, open drawer, obvs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Should have done some editing and had a key appear in the drawer at the end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blistex posted:

Should have done some editing and had a key appear in the drawer at the end.

The key is for the door below, of course, which requires setting everything back to access.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Sure I can help clear out some clogged gutters, you said they are where now?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What exactly the gently caress kind of downspout/elbow is that? I've only ever seen them with rounded corners, not squared off. That almost looks like rectangular aluminum tube welded together :stonk:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

D34THROW posted:

What exactly the gently caress kind of downspout/elbow is that? I've only ever seen them with rounded corners, not squared off. That almost looks like rectangular aluminum tube welded together :stonk:

It looks like one of the 3' extenders people put on the downspouts next to their house so water doesn't pool adjacent to their foundation.

This one clearly got covered by a few seasons of dirt washout and then grass grew on top of it. I'd guess they haven't done any gutter cleaning for three seasons at least. Shameful.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Even rich people can't afford good taste.

NSFW https://i.redd.it/sovql85367281.jpg

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah wtf, a real manly Greek has a small penis!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Why pay all that money to lovely render a dong in tile, only to get such ugly background tiles.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My friends are pointing out that with that draw, he'll never hit anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I understand that there is foreshortening on his right arm, but his left arm is still way too loving big.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Why is the back of his hand turned inward like that? He's not grabbing the arrow, he's dabbing

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Even rich people can't afford good taste.

NSFW https://i.redd.it/sovql85367281.jpg

Just needs a discreetly placed wash cloth hanger

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

why does a shower stall need a bathtub faucet?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Filling mop buckets and such, I suppose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why does a shower stall need a bathtub faucet?

Muslim footwash? IDK.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So where do I put the fox and the chicken?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So where do I put the fox and the chicken?

If you have to ask...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The Thrilling Conclusion to The Mystery Switch! I gotta call an electrician

my dad posted:

Here's the updated schematic. Someone in your thread had the right idea, the porch light is getting it's neutral through the indoor light. Since the porch light is an LED bulb, it doesn't draw much current so it gets enough voltage. With an incandescent bulb, the porch light would get brighter or dimmer depending on the position of the indoor lamp switch.

As it is now, there is no neutral in the box. My guess is that someone wanted the outlet controlled by the switch and it wasn't wired that way originally. I think this was an ugly work around to keep the porch light working. I suspect the neutral wires to the box were repurposed and are no longer neutral. There could have been two weird rewirings of this box in the past. Who knows.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I really want to know where the lead-to-nowhere off E is going now, because I'm pretty sure the only destination it has is in fact nowhere. Anything it could be tied to would have to be displaying the same behavior as the porch light based on that diagram right? (Unless it was tied to a neutral somewhere, in which case we wouldn't have the current problem. I think? I'm not an electrician, I just like puzzles.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
When I get the Real Electrician (tm) in I will be sure to ask.

edit: there's a bunch of wires in the basement that go to nowhere, maybe it's one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thats still not right. He's drawn a short circuit, where flipping the switch just connects hot to neutral.

I also don't understand a couple of things. It's clearly been rewired based on the plastic insulated wires as well as the cloth insulated. But the box doesn't look replaced. I suspect the outlet was wired to the switch originally, then rewired to be always hot and perhaps wrongly, and then re wired again to be switched again wrongly. I think the real crimes are in the outlet box.

I hope we get a true conclusion!

It reminded me of the outlet I just replaced which seems to feed something, but I couldn't figure it out so I just capped it off and hoped that I would discover it eventually. It's been a month.. No leads.