Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kung Food posted:

I've seen a lot of speculation that it's going to be Mel.

Wait, if Mel's not extremely dead, then how is her mother going to come back and swear vengeance on everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
New champion options:
Mel
Sevika
Sky but she's better now
Robot Councillor
Vander just as himself
Mel's mom
Yordle madam
The red haired guy with glasses who shows up at least twice
Jayce's favorite kid but he's better now

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BiggestBatman posted:

New champion options:
Mel
Sevika
Sky but she's better now
Robot Councillor
Vander just as himself
Mel's mom
Yordle madam

I demand Claggor

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BiggestBatman posted:

New champion options:
Mel
Sevika
Sky but she's better now
Robot Councillor
Vander just as himself
Mel's mom
Yordle madam

gimp Yordle
Imagine Dragons

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Probably some of these will appear / maybe already exist in other Riot games like LoR

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Piell posted:

I demand Claggor

Claggor becomes nautilus

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Sevika seems like the easiest fit for a champion. Her second fight with Vi in particular seemed like an ability showcase.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I can't believe nobody else wants more of the Evil Leprechaun Chembaron from that single scene he was in.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I want to see "Draven, the Arcane rendition".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Char posted:

I want to see "Draven, the Arcane rendition".

Hell, Darius already has an immeasurably tragic backstory as it is. Wouldn't take much to fit him in the background somewhere.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Swains rise to power (which involves draven/darius) would be a killer story to tell in the arcane style, but unfortunately I don’t see how they could do it justice in season 2 even with all the noxus setup they did

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If we're spitballing on stories we want to see, I'd give anything for a miniseries of Riven post-Ionian Invasion in Fortiche's style. I think it'd require an even defter hand than Arcane, but a traumatized soldier dealing with the aftermath of war is unusually unexplored territory for an otherwise conflict-heavy genre.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think Arcane is probably always gonna be about Piltover and Zaun with the main characters in this season as at the least major fixtures if not always the main characters, any other settings would probably be adjacent shows with a different name and they'll create some sort of umbrella name for them all at that point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

I think Arcane is probably always gonna be about Piltover and Zaun with the main characters in this season as at the least major fixtures if not always the main characters, any other settings would probably be adjacent shows with a different name and they'll create some sort of umbrella name for them all at that point.

Happily there's a lot of fun stuff you could theoretically do. Like Riven alone has enough for some good arcs that could tie in both Noxus and Ionia.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Yone chasing Yasuo chasing Riven chasing Singed.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Svensken posted:

Yone chasing Yasuo chasing Riven chasing Singed.

smh never chase singed

Svensken
May 29, 2010
He gets away at the end to be the big bad the Shurima season, somehow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The 'fun' thing about Singed is that you could do, like, four or five entirely unrelated stories in which Singed keeps showing up to do evil things. He is impressively terrible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just binged the whole show. My head is full of gently caress, I have never been this emotionally impacted by television before in my life. Not even the good parts of Breaking Bad hit me this hard.

A TV show based on loving League of Legends of all things has no right to be anywhere close to this good. I love it so much.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I was actually surprised we didn't see Ryze or any other rune mage this season beyond the very brief Jayce intro/backstory, considering the central theme was all about magic and runes.

I'd love to see Demacia at some point as Garen, Luxe, Sona etc. where some of my favorite champs back in the day, but that might just be left for a future season (or even another show in this universe).

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've read somewhere that arcane is only supposed to be this plot (which may transition to Noxus eventually, possibly), but it's likely they'll make other shows about other parts of the lore.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Just binged the whole show. My head is full of gently caress, I have never been this emotionally impacted by television before in my life. Not even the good parts of Breaking Bad hit me this hard.

A TV show based on loving League of Legends of all things has no right to be anywhere close to this good. I love it so much.

When episode 9 finished and the credits started rolling, I took my headphones off and just sat in the dark with my thoughts for a while. It's genuinely unforgettable television.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
If someone had told me that one of the best animated shows ever would be a LOL spawn i would've laughed and mocked them. And yet, here we are...
Congrats to Riot and Fortiche, the animation oozes style and creativity, and the story and dialogue and VA are insanely good. This might have just set new standards for animated shows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

When episode 9 finished and the credits started rolling, I took my headphones off and just sat in the dark with my thoughts for a while. It's genuinely unforgettable television.

I've been doing this thing that I haven't done since I watched Fury Road for the first time where the thought creeps into my head, "Why am I not re-watching it right now?"

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah I'm rewatching a show (immediately, for my own amusement) for the first time ever and it's better than the first watch.

Also it's so beautiful, sometimes I pause it and just marvel at the composition.

(The plot does suffer a bit when you actually stop and think about some things, but that's true for pretty much every fantasy story in the world)

Sadly the whole show has this hazy atmosphere, which looks absolutely great (and probably hides some rough edges), but also makes it so most screenshots don't really look good on their own. No arcane wallpaper for me!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pidan posted:

Sadly the whole show has this hazy atmosphere, which looks absolutely great (and probably hides some rough edges), but also makes it so most screenshots don't really look good on their own. No arcane wallpaper for me!

Most of the 4k upscales I've seen look pretty drat good, so Netflix's compression is probably partly to blame. The fuzzing seems to be used whenever they need to try to blend the characters more into the stylized environments (especially the clearly handpainted ones), but any shot where they've got a focus on the characters and fade the background out looks just stunning.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Never cared for LoL but this was really good.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Season 1 was so good that I'm really worried about how the next season will turn out. I just can't imagine that this type of quality isn't the result of some lightning-in-a-bottle situation.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Vulin posted:

Season 1 was so good that I'm really worried about how the next season will turn out. I just can't imagine that this type of quality isn't the result of some lightning-in-a-bottle situation.

Riot animations have been pretty consistently good in terms of dramaturgy and visuals for years, so I'm not too concerned. It probably won't be as mind-blowing as the first season, if only because expectations will be a lot higher, but I'd expect it to be good.

Some previous LoL-related animations that I like:
- Music videos
Awaken - might be less relatable for non-players but I liked this a lot when it first came out
RISE - this one's about e-sports so don't try to follow the plot, but it's very beautiful, maybe also fortiche

- Narrative
Ionia - this is about the quality I expected from a league TV show, which would already have been perfectly acceptable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ionia's a good one, even if it's oddly jarring for Akali to sound like Ashly Burch. I also dig Warriors. I think Ez/Kai'Sa would be a fun dynamic, even if they need to do something for Kai'Sa's design, sort of like they did for Ahri in Ruined King. (Features Urgot who some of us have been talking about.)

Baseless speculation to follow: On the 'Warwick is Vander' front one of Warwick's lines to an enemy Vi is 'who taught you how to punch.'

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

pidan posted:

People have doing 4k upscaled stills from Arcane.

See: here, here, here, and here.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 26, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dawgstar posted:

Ionia's a good one, even if it's oddly jarring for Akali to sound like Ashly Burch. I also dig Warriors. I think Ez/Kai'Sa would be a fun dynamic, even if they need to do something for Kai'Sa's design, sort of like they did for Ahri in Ruined King. (Features Urgot who some of us have been talking about.)

Baseless speculation to follow: On the 'Warwick is Vander' front one of Warwick's lines to an enemy Vi is 'who taught you how to punch.'

On that speculation he has a line for Jinx too. “You were there.”

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I could see them able to get another series from Swain's rise to power and war's with ionia, Sylas and the Mageseekers, some Jhin Murder Mysteries or something in Shurima with the desert characters, or Bilgewater for knockoff Pirates of the Caribbean but with Sea Monsters, beyond that I can't think of any of their characters with much interesting to dig into.

Wouldn't mind a excuse for Fortiche to animate Tahm Kench or Fiddlesticks though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just finished this and goddamn the animation is really excellent. Possibly the best I've ever seen. The soundtrack is also a real banger.

I like that there really isn't a "bad guy" (except maybe Jynx?) in that all the main characters are doing something they see as good, even Silco earnestly is trying to be a good father to Jynx in his own hosed up way, and is willing to sacrifice his empire he's built for her.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So I'm guessing Ekko is eventually go full Teferi since his nickname is "the boy who broke time"?

Got a very Eberron vibe from Arcane, really cool setting. I'll probably check out the turn-based rpg, although I'm never trying LoL.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

So I'm guessing Ekko is eventually go full Teferi since his nickname is "the boy who broke time"?

Got a very Eberron vibe from Arcane, really cool setting. I'll probably check out the turn-based rpg, although I'm never trying LoL.

Think more save states, he locks a moment and can rewind to it with his tech. There is a separate full Teferi character in Shurima the desert land south of P&Z.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Think more save states, he locks a moment and can rewind to it with his tech. There is a separate full Teferi character in Shurima the desert land south of P&Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLq1-O0KIgY&t=56s

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like that there really isn't a "bad guy" (except maybe Jynx?) in that all the main characters are doing something they see as good, even Silco earnestly is trying to be a good father to Jynx in his own hosed up way, and is willing to sacrifice his empire he's built for her.

Silco is the central antagonist, but Arcane is very much a series of tragedies that were completely avoidable, except they weren't. The interesting thing about Silco is that he does truly believe in his revolution, far more than the other chembarons in Act 3. I wish there had been a little more about his and Vander's failed attempt to give context as to what exactly went down and what happened between them. But the end result was that Silco's crusade became as much about revenge against Piltover as it did about freedom for Zaun. Even if Jayce had given Silco favorable terms, he would have found some excuse not to accept them.

And I definitely wouldn't call Jinx a villain in this season. Come Season 2 though, I don't see any way she won't be a living nightmare for everyone top to bottom.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

1stGear posted:

Silco is the central antagonist, but Arcane is very much a series of tragedies that were completely avoidable, except they weren't. The interesting thing about Silco is that he does truly believe in his revolution, far more than the other chembarons in Act 3. I wish there had been a little more about his and Vander's failed attempt to give context as to what exactly went down and what happened between them. But the end result was that Silco's crusade became as much about revenge against Piltover as it did about freedom for Zaun. Even if Jayce had given Silco favorable terms, he would have found some excuse not to accept them.

And I definitely wouldn't call Jinx a villain in this season. Come Season 2 though, I don't see any way she won't be a living nightmare for everyone top to bottom.

Jinx became the goddamn joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A friend pointed out there are several scenes where crows (or ravens?) are extremely prominent. Swain is totally pulling strings or at least getting the lay of the land in Piltover, right? Between that and Mel's brother getting murked in Noxus, seems like pretty solid evidence to me. It makes me wonder if we're gonna get the Noxus show as a direct spinoff a-la The CW's DC superhero shows.