Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Samsung browser that they released for WearOS isn't exclusive to their apps, you can install it on on Wear 2.0 devices as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Though, that browser mentioned above doesn't seem to actually launch on my Ticwatch, so who knows.

Speaking of Ticwatch, it's really crazy how this large battery+FSTN screen changes how you use this device.

I took it off charge on Friday evening around 6pm and wore it until I went to bed around 1:30am. I didn't wear it really over the weekend (was using my Watch 4 instead), but I didn't have it on charge either, just sitting on the table. I wore it most of the day yesterday (taking it off at night to do sleep tracking with the Watch 4). I put it back on this morning and it's currently at 25% battery.

Yeah, I haven't worn it continuously so there was no interaction with the screen over the weekend nor any physical metric tracking, but still. I'm currently on hour 88 or so since I last charged it and I have 1/4th of the battery left.

If you are a "during the day" watch wearer, I could easily see you going 4-5 days between charges.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Galaxy Watch 4 supposedly getting a fix for HR tracking issues in an update that's currently downloading for me, crossing my fingers because if that's fixed then there is nothing else I'd change about this watch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yay, either Google or Samsung fixed the watch not vibrating/alerting when a Gmail notification comes through.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Does the watch 4 not show the whole text message text on the watch when paired with pixel? This seems to have stopped since I switched from Samsung. Used Google messages on both.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you make sure to reinstall Messages on the watch when you reset it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Did you make sure to reinstall Messages on the watch when you reset it?

It was installed but had to allow some permissions on the watch after tapping it. Hopefully that fixes it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I actually had a hell of a time pairing to my new Pixel 6 Pro. Maybe it was because I do two watches (Normal for exercise and sleep, Classic for every day wearing.)

I got the normal active paired, but when I paired the classic it seemed to work ok, but it couldn't update the Samsung apps and it couldn't download watch faces from Samsung. Just resetting the watch by itself didn't fix, I had to clear out the Galaxy Wear app and Watch 4 plug-in data which meant I had to start over with both watches. It eventually worked though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seems it works now but only if I tap on the messages logo. Some sort of privacy setting? I only get the sender name. Same as slack.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do you have Watch Settings->Notifications-> Advanced notification settings-> Show with details flipped on?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Do you have Watch Settings->Notifications-> Advanced notification settings-> Show with details flipped on?

I did not, thanks, that was probably it.

Nice to be the one getting tech support for once.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm going to order a Watch4 Classic, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between the 42mm and 46mm. I'm I think an average-sized guy (5'10", 160 lbs), and I've had what appears to be the 42mm version of the Moto 360 2nd generation for five years. I know that the bigger watch obviously has a bigger battery and a bigger screen, although the pixel density is greater on the smaller watch. Anything else to consider to help me decide?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Battery wise, I've had no trouble with the smaller Watch 4 Classic. For a while I was even wearing it to bed and charging it in the morning. It's not a "charge once a week" or even "charge every other day" watch, but I don't run into battery anxiety in the evening with AOD on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Great to hear. I'm sure anything will be better than this thing with a ~3-year-old battery that lasts 12 hours maybe half the time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gotta say I've been impressed with the battery life of the Ticwatch E3 over my old Ticwatch E2. More than a day with my normal use, which is a bit better than before. I also like that I can make an answer calls from my wrist since it has a mic and speaker, although I haven't played around with it much. The screen is great, though, and the 4100 processor is definitely snappier than the 2100.

Now if only my leather watchband would arrive for it. I really liked the hybrid band I got for my E2 but of course the E3 takes a different size.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well this is a bit annoying. My Watch4 Classic just arrived, and supposedly both it (42 mm size) and Mt Moto 360 both use 22mm watch bands, but the arms on the Watch4 seem like half a mm closer together, so my band from my Moto won't fit!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Watch 4 uses 20mm, not 22mm.

All watch 4 models are 20mm regardless of case size.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, my mistake. I misremembered what I'd looked up a couple days ago. According to Android Central, the 42 mm Moto 360 uses 20 mm bands, not 22 as I said. So it still should fit (it's definitely way less than 2 mm difference).

Lol I just realized that with the dumb charging puck Samsung has, a metal bracelet/band would make charging basically impossible. I'm definitely going to miss the Moto charging cradle.

hooah fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 2, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I need to talk about how good the cloud sync is on the Watch 4 since I had a situation this weekend that had me scratching my head until I realized what happened.

I got my new Pixel 6 pro and I got my watches all paired up to it on Thursday (yes, watches, shuttup, read thread title.)

I was going away for the weekend so I decided to take the TicWatch Pro 3 because I couldn't be bothered to want to charge it. Incidentally I left at around 1pm Friday and got home at 10pm Sunday and I still have 34% left on the TicWatch Pro 3

Well, on the drive back I got a notification on my phone "disconnected from Watch 4." Huh. Weird.

Well, then I got home and realized I had left the watch 4 on and off the charger and it must have finally died Sunday afternoon and disconnected. The entire weekend I had remained connected to my watch 4 sitting at home even though I was 250 miles away.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Lol I just realized that with the dumb charging puck Samsung has, a metal bracelet/band would make charging basically impossible. I'm definitely going to miss the Moto charging cradle.

I've got a (super cheap) metal link bracelet on my Active 2, and eventually 3D printed a little stand that fits the puck and lets the band hang below. It does work without doing that though, just awkward to plug it in, so to speak.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

hooah posted:

I just turn the watch on its side and stick the charger to the back of it. It will stand up with help of the band and the puck will stay attached due to magnets and it acts as a tiny clock display for you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, I didn't think about putting the puck on its side. Is there a way to change the color of the charging screen? Having the nice red was good with the Moto.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Regarding using the Watch4 as a bedside clock - is there a way to get it to stay on while charging?

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Looking to potentially change out my old Pebble Time Steel I've been using for the last 3-4 years. Honestly it does almost everything I need a smartwatch to do (notifications, reading texts, alarms/sleep tracking), and love that I only need to charge it once a week or so, but it would be nice to have NFC payments, be able to respond to text message, better activity tracking and on board music storage. It seems like if I want something with comparable battery life the Ticwatch series is what I should be looking at, but open to suggestions. Could also wait if there's something clearly better on the horizon since my Pebble is still doing just fine.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got through my first PagerDuty rotation, and have had my watch4 classic for a couple months now. I am happy with it. The sleep data is interesting.

The XDA-Dante63 mod to let you use EKG/BP with a non samsung phone continues to work well.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

Chu020 posted:

It seems like if I want something with comparable battery life the Ticwatch series is what I should be looking at, but open to suggestions.

The Ticwatch series really doesn't have comparable battery life, you'll probably get somewhere around 2-3 days. But that's about as good as you're gonna get these days, sadly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Chu020 posted:

Looking to potentially change out my old Pebble Time Steel I've been using for the last 3-4 years. Honestly it does almost everything I need a smartwatch to do (notifications, reading texts, alarms/sleep tracking), and love that I only need to charge it once a week or so, but it would be nice to have NFC payments, be able to respond to text message, better activity tracking and on board music storage. It seems like if I want something with comparable battery life the Ticwatch series is what I should be looking at, but open to suggestions. Could also wait if there's something clearly better on the horizon since my Pebble is still doing just fine.

I used the original Steel for a few years I guess until I got a Huawei watch with my old P20 Pro. That was a nice upgrade, getting extra features in exchange for lesser battery life. Trying to do most anything on that watch however was pretty slow, and I was glad to upgrade to the Ticwatch Pro 3 which has all the features, gets ~3 day battery life and no longer lags like hell when I'm trying to bring up tap when going through a drive thru or whatever. They just released an Ultra version of that watch so it might be worth a look for you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone with a Watch4 had problems with deleting emails from the Gmail notification? The first time I tap the button it says to check my phone. Well, nothing is happening over there. Then I tap it again and it says "Couldn't complete action".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Has anyone with a Watch4 had problems with deleting emails from the Gmail notification? The first time I tap the button it says to check my phone. Well, nothing is happening over there. Then I tap it again and it says "Couldn't complete action".

It's a dumb dialog because you don't have to check your phone. When you hit delete on the notification, it does actually delete it. You then just have to dismiss the notification on the watch (which is now kinda empty because the email in question is gone.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

It's a dumb dialog because you don't have to check your phone. When you hit delete on the notification, it does actually delete it. You then just have to dismiss the notification on the watch (which is now kinda empty because the email in question is gone.)

Lol sure enough! That's janky as hell compared to the WearOS 2.0 behavior.

Ln a separate note, is there a way to set up Google Pay so I only need the PIN when I want to use Pay? I thought "oh, this has NFC, I can try out paying with my watch", but when I learned that it forced a PIN lock for every interaction with the watch I noped right out of that.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

hooah posted:

...but when I learned that it forced a PIN lock for every interaction with the watch...

It should stay unlocked after one pin entry as long as the watch is on your wrist.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Qylvaran posted:

It should stay unlocked after one pin entry as long as the watch is on your wrist.

Hmm, maybe I took my watch off more than I remember. Entirely possible since I was trying to fit my existing 20mm band onto it, without success.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it should stay unlocked unless it detects you took it off.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Hmm, maybe I took my watch off more than I remember. Entirely possible since I was trying to fit my existing 20mm band onto it, without success.

It could be too loose or the sensor might be dirty. It happened to me once that my watch kept locking up, but cleaning/readjusting the fit fixed it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
How the gently caress do I dismiss an alarm that is going off on a watch4

I put my finger on the X and slide it towards the 9 position and it seems like half the time this just snoozes it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cabbages and Kings posted:

How the gently caress do I dismiss an alarm that is going off on a watch4

I put my finger on the X and slide it towards the 9 position and it seems like half the time this just snoozes it

It can be tricky sometimes, you really need to drag it across the outer edge of the screen rather than straight up.

In other news, Samsung revived Wear OS!

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/wear-os-share-surges-samsungs-highest-quarterly-smartwatch-shipments-q3-2021/

quote:

Samsung achieved its highest quarterly shipments with the launch of the Galaxy Watch 4 series, narrowing the gap with Apple.
With Samsungs move to use Wear OS, the OSs share in the smartwatch market increased to 17% in Q3 2021 from 4% in Q2 2021.

In the same period, Apple watch sales marketshare slipped from 28% to 22%.

Now, granted, there are still a SHITTON more Apple watches out there, the Series 7 was delayed so that can account for the shipment drop, and it remains to be seen if this momentum can be sustained, but it's a nice showing right off the bat. The Watch 4 isn't a flop at any rate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are willing to put up with promised wear 3.0 upgrades, there are some decent deals today.

The Gen 6 is down to $209-$229 depending on band style.
The Ticwatch E3 is down to $139
The Ticwatch Pro 3 (non ultra) is down to $199

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I really like my Ticwatch E3, but find the available watch faces lacking. Is there a good clearinghouse for watch faces outside the Play Store or Mobvoi itself? Or a way to just make my own face that does what I want? I've found one that is workable but I actually liked the face I found for my E2 better, but it doesn't seem to exist for the E3. :confused:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pear watchface 4 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Another year another Pixel Watch "leak"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/2/22814461/google-pixel-watch-wear-os-2022-rohan