Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
The best Final Fantasy is Lunar Silver Star Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man I remember trying to like that game, the singing and general horniness were too great to overcome

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

X JAKK posted:

For the GBA

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

Deathloop is cool as gently caress, I think you'd like it. The world is really cool, the acting is really good (like to the extent it's actually a draw) and the basic gameplay is fun.

I think the things putting people off are:

1. There's Dark Souls style invasions.
This is A Scary Thing™ because it means you are not 'safe' in your single player experience! ...Except that you totally are. The consequence for getting killed by the invader is often zero, and that's if they even ever find you.

2. It's a speedrun puzzle.
The object of the game, is to play through the various maps, during different times of day, enough that you can work out the perfect order to complete them in. You're essentially doing a boss-only speedrun challenge, and trying to work out the optimal path through the game. This is intimidating because it sounds like it's harder than just playing a game 'normally'.

I mean, sure, there are obviously other reasons people wouldn't like it. But I think these are really the big two as to why it's got backlash, and I think they're quite reactionary complaints that are more about the perception of the issue than a bad experience.

It's interesting from a design standpoint and I'm sure I'll pick it up someday but they definitely rushed it and it doesn't have the polish level both Dishonored games did.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

pretty soft girl posted:

6 is boring as poo poo to slog through and 4's cast of idiot characters becomes increasingly unlikeable every time I look at it and I say that as someone who loved both of those games growing up

Throw all FFs in the garbage other than 5 and maybe 1 with the randomizer

I’d probably agree if I played them now, but I know we’ll enough to avoid replaying any of them these days.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm playing Gears 5 for the first time (Steam version) and

A) this game is so perfectly made for a controller it's unreal

B) the skiff sections are a nice change of pace and it's really chill :imunfunny: just cruising around on that thing

itry
Aug 23, 2019

X JAKK posted:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man I remember trying to like that game, the singing and general horniness were too great to overcome

Wiki is telling me that this masterpiece was released for PC 20 years ago, and yet it is not on Steam. Prime for a Steam re-release?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If your game doesn't have a save and quit option your game is poo poo. I'll make exceptions for games that let me save then quit but if you're doing that might as well give me a save and quit menu option. I tried No Umbrellas Allowed and when I realized I need to complete a day to actually save I requested a refund. Like what the gently caress. I still kind of think I'm missing something and it must let me save.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 25, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X JAKK posted:

i remember seeing that in stores as a kid and assuming since it came on a bunch of discs like my favorite game ff7 that that must mean it was also as good as my favorite game ff7. never got around to playing it but i still have a laugh about that dumbass assumption every once in a while

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

galagazombie posted:

Morrowind and Skyrim are not only great without mods, but outright shouldn’t be played with them until you’ve fully experienced at least one full playthrough.

Nah, the menu system sucks and skyui should just be shipped with the game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

site posted:

i remember seeing that in stores as a kid and assuming since it came on a bunch of discs like my favorite game ff7 that that must mean it was also as good as my favorite game ff7. never got around to playing it but i still have a laugh about that dumbass assumption every once in a while

It is

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Y’all should post about final fantasy in the final fantasy thread where we have established that each final fantasy is the best final fantasy, and also the worst

Especially FF5 which is available now on steam and is the best final fantasy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983885&perpage=40&noseen=1

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm just a casual FF player and the last one I played was 12. I can't post with the best of them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

If your game doesn't have a save and quit option your game is poo poo. I'll make exceptions for games that let me save then quit but if you're doing that might as well give me a save and quit menu option. I tried No Umbrellas Allowed and when I realized I need to complete a day to actually save I requested a refund. Like what the gently caress. I still kind of think I'm missing something and it must let me save.

Any game that doesn't let me save and resume from any point I want can never be better than a 7/10.

Not being able to save doesn't make the game more challenging, it just makes it tedious.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

load up a game and hit f5, if it doesn't quicksave hit alt-f4 and uninstall

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this but unironically

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wsit I’m lost at what you are all talking about. Are you complaining about lack of quicksaves/suspends? Or that there are games you can’t save progress on? Do they even make the latter anymore? Or are you complaining about not being able to cheat with save states?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

Wsit I’m lost at what you are all talking about. Are you complaining about lack of quicksaves/suspends? Or that there are games you can’t save progress on? Do they even make the latter anymore? Or are you complaining about not being able to cheat with save states?

Sounds like he means “save at any time”. Like this clown is rage uninstalling Stardew Valley because he can’t save-quit in middle of one the ten minute long days.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm playing Gears 5 for the first time (Steam version) and

A) this game is so perfectly made for a controller it's unreal

B) the skiff sections are a nice change of pace and it's really chill :imunfunny: just cruising around on that thing

Gears 5 is extremely well optimized, even for a modest PC like my own.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gears 5 was an extremely competently made cover shooter.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I only played 1-3 but they were all pretty, big budget, highly produced romps and none overstayed their welcome

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Sounds like he means “save at any time”. Like this clown is rage uninstalling Stardew Valley because he can’t save-quit in middle of one the ten minute long days.

A single player game telling me that I have to redo stuff if I have the nerve to stop playing it? Yeah no gently caress that. If I'm willing to quit to save scum then you can just let me. That being said I will totally save scum if you let me quick save, so yeah I'm not necessarily against a lack of quick save.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The worst thing about RDR2 is that I had to loving look up how to save in it. That's some real poo poo UI.

But yeah, being able to save whenever is great, and playing (for example) old final fantasy games is pretty miserable for the lack of it.

I'd complain about saving in the newest idolmaster game, but lol none of you are playing that. (It's bad)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zenostein posted:

The worst thing about RDR2 is that I had to loving look up how to save in it. That's some real poo poo UI.

But yeah, being able to save whenever is great, and playing (for example) old final fantasy games is pretty miserable for the lack of it.

I'd complain about saving in the newest idolmaster game, but lol none of you are playing that. (It's bad)

I thought rdr2 was autosave only until like Chapter 4

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
RDR2 autosaves like every 12 seconds I promise you that you didn't do anything all that huge since the last time it saved for you

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm old*, i gotta save before i quit the game.

*I started playing that rachet & clank game sony gave out like 2 years ago and I have no idea when it saves. Autosaves are cool, but if you can't tell when it's saving that's total bullshit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itry posted:

I'm just a casual FF player and the last one I played was 12. I can't post with the best of them.

If you stopped at 12 you are already the best of them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Any game that doesn't let me save and resume from any point I want can never be better than a 7/10.

Not being able to save doesn't make the game more challenging, it just makes it tedious.

not having saves is a good move in a strategy game that's undermined by savescumming and more games should do something like invisible inc as compared to xcom which is fundamentally a game about savescumming, and the worse for it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it's what made WRATH really jump out at me during its pitch; quicksave anywhere you like, but they're a consumable resource so you don't compulsively mash the button. What a very reasonable approach.

The last game that I can think of that did something like that was Severance, which just put an adjective next to your save file based on saves per level, so it was nothing more than cosmetic in a single player experience, but it drove some people up the wall. Like the #1 mod did nothing but remove that, since people couldn't handle the game calling them a coward for quicksaving every corridor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Serephina posted:

The last game that I can think of that did something like that was Severance, which just put an adjective next to your save file based on saves per level, so it was nothing more than cosmetic in a single player experience, but it drove some people up the wall. Like the #1 mod did nothing but remove that, since people couldn't handle the game calling them a coward for quicksaving every corridor.

lol this owns

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Only thing that could have been better is if the devs kept releasing patches that made the asterisk mod not work.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i bet there are still pc gamers who are hammering F5 every four seconds, despite the fact that it doesn't do anything, its just so built into their muscle memory

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Streetfighter 2 added a digit to the end of your score if you continued, and people would post their 'high scores' and get mocked because 120,002 meant you continued twice and it didn't count or something

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't quick save or save at all until after a major game event. I make my decision and solidify it, for better or worse. gently caress your perfect run poo poo. I am the queen of ruined runs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Xbox/Nintendo analog stick layout is objectively better than the Sony layout.

"Oh no," you say, "Sony is better." Because that is what you are used to. The truth is that the original PS control was essentially the same as the Super Nintendo controller. They later added dual analog sticks with the Dualshock. All they did was add them to the bottom of the normal controller and have stuck with that design ever since. Xbox actually looked at peoples hands and input usage on the controller and designed around that.

Look at your hand and think about the natural placement of your thumbs. That's right, they should be on the buttons and the left analog stick of a Xbox/Nintendo controller. You have to actually move them out to cover the Sony analogs or the dpad/analog on a good controller.

It's okay to admit that Sony has stuck with a poor layout because they don't want to admit that Xbox does it better. Just as it's okay to admit that there are far more and better games on a Sony console.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Except that Microsoft and Nintendo flipped each other's layout and it's loving annoying.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waltzing Along posted:

The Xbox/Nintendo analog stick layout is objectively better than the Sony layout.

"Oh no," you say, "Sony is better." Because that is what you are used to. The truth is that the original PS control was essentially the same as the Super Nintendo controller. They later added dual analog sticks with the Dualshock. All they did was add them to the bottom of the normal controller and have stuck with that design ever since. Xbox actually looked at peoples hands and input usage on the controller and designed around that.

Look at your hand and think about the natural placement of your thumbs. That's right, they should be on the buttons and the left analog stick of a Xbox/Nintendo controller. You have to actually move them out to cover the Sony analogs or the dpad/analog on a good controller.

It's okay to admit that Sony has stuck with a poor layout because they don't want to admit that Xbox does it better. Just as it's okay to admit that there are far more and better games on a Sony console.

Meh. I felt like this until the PS4 came out and had a new controller honestly. Turns out the spacing and placement of the sticks is a lot more important than if you swap one for the D-pad on the left. It’s really more that the Playstation’s original controller design just had dual sticks stapled on to it and it was kind of clunky. The DualShock 4 and Dualsense are just fine.

It’s weird how they kept the design without any major changes for 15 years though, now that I think about it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The DualShock only still exists for branding purposes. It became so iconic, so visually self explanatory, so representative and visual shorthand of the consoles themselves, that they can’t change to the objectively better stick layout that everyone else, even third party PlayStation controllers, uses.

Also it’s infuriating to no end that all three companies have an X button and it’s located somewhere different on all three.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

poverty goat posted:

not having saves is a good move in a strategy game that's undermined by savescumming and more games should do something like invisible inc as compared to xcom which is fundamentally a game about savescumming, and the worse for it

Quicksave/quickload suck rear end but being able to stop playing whenever and resume where you left off is great. That's why save-and-quit is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Waltzing Along posted:

"Oh no," you say, "Sony is better." Because that is what you are used to. The truth is that the original PS control was essentially the same as the Super Nintendo controller. They later added dual analog sticks with the Dualshock. All they did was add them to the bottom of the normal controller and have stuck with that design ever since. Xbox actually looked at peoples hands and input usage on the controller and designed around that

lol no they didn't, they just copied the dreamcast controller and put the extra stick and buttons whatever they would fit

you're twisting your brain to find meaning in tea leaves