Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

It’s a very Final Fantasy/anime decision but I kind of dig it.

I did not want to shell out for the pure white dye, but you can definitely do that look in Final Fantasy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Based on the places they've visited so far (all small, isolated towns where nobody ever leaves), I've been assuming there will be no "pale, short Cairhienen" etc. and every place contains a huge variety of people. I kind of hope they fake us out on the borderlands: "What, just because Lan's actor is Asian, you think everyone in the samurai nation looks like him? Pretty hosed up, bro."

Thom did say last episode you can only really tell where someone is from by their accent and their dress, so looks like they are going with everywhere being a ethnic hodgepodge.

Not sure where they are getting all those extras from in the Czech Republic though since thats where they film right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Thom did say last episode you can only really tell where someone is from by their accent and their dress, so looks like they are going with everywhere being a ethnic hodgepodge.

Not sure where they are getting all those extras from in the Czech Republic though since thats where they film right?

Apparently they've done a lot of casting across Europe and England.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

in the pacific show they hired tourists for extras

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Suuuper excited to see The Professor (Alvaro Morte) get some spoken lines this episode. His casting as Logain was one of the big selling points to get my non-book-reading wife to watch with me.

She was a bit meh through the first episode—she thinks that it really should have been 10-70 minutes longer, since it rushed through a lot of things that would have benefitted from a bit more screen time explaining them. But she was 100% hooked when we got to Thom’s song.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

it's up. fuckin logain time

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Black tendrils for Saidin confirmation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Logain's freaking brilliant and saidin itself whispering to him, drat

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rarity posted:

Logain's freaking brilliant and saidin itself whispering to him, drat

Only seen the opening so far, but drat that was a great way to visualize both the madness of men using Saidan, his particular madness and the corruption all at once. it did a great job selling his charisma as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Alexandre Willaume absolutely killed the Owyn scene

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Warder and AS vs Dragon’s Army was dope. Dude getting thrown through a tree!

HOLY gently caress NYANAEVE!!!!!!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nynaeve is a loving badass holy poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Show owns.

Owns owns owns owns owns

Nynaeve oh my god :stwoon:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Watched episode 1

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

lmao at Nynaeve getting super saiyan hair when she channels

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This was written by Dave Hill who wrote 15 episodes of Game of Thrones.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Show is good, y'all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

theblackw0lf posted:

This was written by Dave Hill who wrote 15 episodes of Game of Thrones.

Er I think you'll find he's a glorified coffee boy :smug:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Honestly, I was in before this ep, but it was with all the caveats “Can’t be a direct adaptation”, “Happy they’re even making it,” “Not on board with all the changes but giving them the benefit of the doubt.”

After this ep, I’m all in. The warders were awesome. I loved Owein and Ihvon being all cuddly. I totally took the bait in the Grimewell farmhouse and was about to rage-quit but then…redemption. Logain is cool as hell but I still see Curtis Armstrong every time I see him. His channeling and the taint were awesome.

If they can keep this pace and quality it’s gonna be a hell of a ride.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jeff Bezos the people demand that you release the next episode tomorrow!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess if people were wanting to see more channeling then this episode absolutely delivered

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
First book is on Audible narrated by Rosamund Pike and drat it owns so far.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Miss Mowcher posted:

Oh crap I’m going to have to get the entire audible series again if she narrates all of them. Just listened to a sample it’s so good.

Also EOTW is number 5 on Amazon’s best selling list.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
that was killer and im going to put it on again now

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Miss Mowcher posted:

It's also on sale, at least in the UK digital storefront. It's down from it's normal price of £43 to £8; which is a pretty big discount. Edit: Actually, Audible are doing a site wide sale at the moment that just happens to include that book, but is far from limited to it or the series as a whole. Almost everything seems to be down to £8 at the moment. They do big sales like that every few months from what I can tell, but it is fortuitous timing regardless.

I'll probably pick it up at some point in the next day or two, because the small snippet she read is good. Also, the bonus animation for this week on the X-Ray feature was an Aes Sedai teaching some novices about controlling Saidar, and how it differs from Saidin; the male half of the One Power. It lays out that women surrender to Saidar, and that it feels almost gentle and calming akin to what Egwene went through during her test for the Women's Circle in the first episode, while men must tame a raging torrent to control it. It also went over how people have to visualize something to use the power. The mental image normally evoked by women in the books is a budding flower, which is also used in this short.

It does make me wonder if aphantasics just can't channel in that case. Which would apply to me, personally. A lot of fantasy books I read growing up talked about visualizing something in your mind's eye to use magic, and the idea of visualizing something or a "mind's eye" at all sounded like magic to me, because I'd struggle to imagine a mono colored field in my head.

The trivia notes for this week are as follows:

Amazon Prime X-Ray Trivia posted:

• Ghaeldan is a small country that runs along the foothills of the Mountains of mist. It's government is a hereditary monarchy, however the king or queen must also be advised by a council of nobility and wealthy merchants. For the past 70 years, Ghealdn has actively been protecting itself from being absorbed by it's larger neighbour, Amadicia - the seat of the infamous Children of the Light.
  • The Karaethon Cycle, also called the Prophecies of the Dragon, speaks about the Dragon's coming. There are multiple passages directly discussing her of him either breaking the world or saving it. "All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to the Dragon who shall be born again. May the Light save us."
  • Men must mentally wade through a vile corruption of "Saidin" - the male half of the source, in order to reach the One Power. Eventually, this terrible corruption begins to poison a man's mind and body until both are overwhelmed with madness. The madness takes all shapes, though hearing voices is a clear sign that the mind is truly sick, and to keep him from being destructive, he must be stopped.
  • There are five weaves of the power: air, water, earth, fire and spirit. Each can be used on its own or in combination with one another to achieve incredible feats. There are many ways to weave the threads of the One Power; healing for example uses air, water and spirit, while throwing a fireball requires fire and air. Earth and air might be used to loosen mortar so that an Aes Sedai could use air to throw stones from a building at some Shadowspawn.
  • The White Tower is the home to all Aes Sedai. It has stood in the city of Tar Valon for over 2000 years, keeping the seat of the most powerful organization in the world safe. The monolith of the White Tower represents an unbroken sisterhood since the time of the Breaking of the World.
  • The Tuatha'an are a group of people with no country as their home. Traveling continuously from the Breaking, this group of individuals, also known as "Seekers", are constantly looking for the "Song". While no one living has heard this Song, most of the Seekers insist they will know it when they hear it.
  • Strength in the One Power differs wildly between individuals; while channelers of the opposite sex cannot tell exactly how powerful each other are, one can get an idea by using a shield and measuring the difficulty. Both men and women can usually tell how strong a person of the same sex is if they are actively embracing the One Power.
  • The Aes Sedai are comprised of seven groups known as "Ajahs". Each Ajah is distinct with their own set of goals. Blues invest themselves in causes such as righteousness and justice, Reds are a force that police the misuse of the One Power with a strong focus on men who can channel and Greens are the "Battle Ajah"; their entire purpose is to train and stand ready to fight in The Last Battle between the Dark One and the Dragon Reborn.
  • "Shielding" an individual can be taxing on a channeler depending on the strength of both the person being shielded and whether or not that person is actively trying to break out of the shield. It is described by the channelers holding on to the shield as if they are being pushed or shoved constantly.
  • In the books, the "On the Road" chapters are an integral part of the development of the characters from The Two Rivers. There are multiple villages, inns, farms and people met along the way.
  • The Way of the Leaf is a purely pacifist lifestyle only practiced by the Seekers. They will not raise a hand to defend themselves, their loved ones or use violence to hunt game for meat. They use the life of a leaf as a metaphor for their time in the world, as it does no harm and when it finally falls the leaf will nourish new growth.
  • Birgitte is a hero who is a genius with a bow and appears to have been spun out by the Wheel many times to have multiple adventures.
  • "Gentling" is when a man specifically is cut off from the male half of the source and forever unable to touch the One Power again, while still being able to feel its presence. This experience is devastating, akin to being castrated and lobotomized at the same time. Most men immediately lose the will to live after being Gentled.
  • Warders share a unique bond with one another and proudly enter a lifelong brotherhood when submitting to the bonding by an Aes Sedai. Most Warders live at the White Tower, constantly training with one another as well as other young men hoping to one day bond with a Sister and become a Warder themselves.
  • Reincarnation is a reality in this world. Lives are also known as threads. When a person dies, their thread is temporarily drooped but not broke and thus has an opportunity for the Wheel to weave a new life back into the Pattern.
  • Fades travel via shadows. It is unknown how far one can move, if the shadows must be in the same area or if shadows could be far apart. The ability makes this deadly opponent even more unpredictable and difficult to kill.
  • The White Tower has many laws and customs, laws are written down while customs can at times be even more powerful than the laws set forth by Aes Sedai. When either are broken, the punishments can be severe and even humiliating for these incredibly proud women.
  • Malkier, once a great city in the Borderlands, was lost to the Shadow 40 odd years ago. The Old Tongue is a nearly extinct language spoken in the Age of Legends. It is taught to nobles, remembered by ancient places like Malkier, remembered in pieces by people with the Old Blood running through their veins or researched and studied by the Aes Sedai.
  • There are many types of different Wards created by the One Power; some can keep specific things out like vermin, others act as silent alarms that can only be detected by the channeler that set them, and yet others act as a buffer to keep food from spoiling. Wards are yet another example of the adaptability of the One Power.
  • When becoming an Aes Sedai a woman must endure an incredibly brutal test that requires perfect serenity and calm while channeling 100 different weaves of the One Power. Serenity and calm in tense situations including battle are cornerstone to becoming and being an Aees Sedai.
  • In the books, "shielding" a man embracing the male half of The Source is incredibly difficult. Linking is typically needed and is the process of a channeler combining their own strength to another. The linked women, known as as a circle have no ability to channel the power themselves and must give over control of the circle to a single person so that they may meld all of the Power and direct it as needed.
  • A woman's first embracing of The One Power unguided often happens when they are desperate or feel they need something. It can be as minor as wanting to overhear a conversation or as major as saving a life. Typically, if the woman survives whatever weave she creates in that moment, it will become her own special talent in the One Power.

There's some interesting tidbits in there. The note on Birgitte just makes me sad that Mat dropped the doll when fleeing the Fade. It's soppy, but the little girl telling Mat that Birgitte had always wanted to travel really got me, and I hoped he'd have it for at least a little while; even before she was killed.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 26, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
new ep huh

nice

discord me

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That was awesome. Also, I think I missed the discord too.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The first three eps were ok/good/good but this ep loving ruled

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Skyl3lazer posted:

The first three eps were ok/good/good but this ep loving ruled

more and more people are saying this

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This episode ruled. Nynaeve rules

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I really dislike the way they shoot conversations. It fucken creeps me out how far zoomed into faces they go and the way it zooms in and back out slowly is bad

but that was fucken awesome.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Wedge Regret
Having them all drink out of the cocktail shaker I got as a gift last Valentines was weird.

Also the traveller knock off people seem cool and good.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 26, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Random farmhouse slaughter seems a bit edgy grimdark for me, but I guess I can see the purpose of the scene if I tilt my head a bit.

Really enjoyed Nynaeve popping her ult, though

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Couldn't have said it better 👏

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RIP Else

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Even the WoT Reddit thread seems happy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I take it Logain got Gentled (i.e. stripped of the ability to use magic) at the end of the episode? Which, presuming that's true, is a pretty big change the show has made from the books, yes? The first really major one, as such; though possibly/presumably not the last.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BrianWilly posted:

Random farmhouse slaughter seems a bit edgy grimdark for me, but I guess I can see the purpose of the scene if I tilt my head a bit.

Servants of the dark one aren't exactly nice and cuddly!!!

tsob posted:

I take it Logain got Gentled (i.e. stripped of the ability to use magic) at the end of the episode? Which, presuming that's true, is a pretty big change the show has made from the books, yes? The first really major one, as such; though possibly/presumably not the last.

Kinda? Book v show comparison: are you implying he wasn't gentled in the book? the only real difference here is it happens before he gets to the tower, instead of vaguely offscreen sometime between when Rand sees him in Caemlyn and when Egwene sees him moping in the tower. This version was loving sick.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

tsob posted:

logain got gentled in the books too. mat runs into him cleaning or something in the white tower when he’s healing from the dagger in the beginning of book 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gwaihir posted:

Kinda? Book v show comparison: are you implying he wasn't gentled in the book? the only real difference here is it happens before he gets to the tower, instead of vaguely offscreen sometime between when Rand sees him in Caemlyn and when Egwene sees him moping in the tower. This version was loving sick.

No, in this case I think I just remembered wrong about the character and thought Logain was a channeler for a lot longer in the story. He presumably isn't so, and I'm probably just mixing him up with a different character or something.

Edit: Oh, reading up on it I basically just forgot and/or mixed up a lot of poo poo that happened in the books in the roughly two decades since I've read them. Never mind.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 26, 2021