Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weird how that started happening around 25 years after we started burning coal like madmen, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fame Douglas posted:

That seems unlikely.

I was thinking of Seventh-Day Adventists, who have a (pre-pandemic) life expectancy of 89

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Laterite posted:

Weird how that started happening around 25 years after we started burning coal like madmen, huh?

Um correlation is not causation, and furthermore

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

I was thinking of Seventh-Day Adventists, who have a (pre-pandemic) life expectancy of 89

Wealthier people tend to live longer is all I'm seeing here.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Tabletops posted:

nano particles you breath can enter your brain via your olfactory nerve. 50% attach and travel up into your brain in about 4 days. with some particulates, up to 30% of of what you breathed would attach to your olfactory nerve.

60% of nano particle you breath that enter your lungs will pass into your bloodstream in 2 days.

nanoparticulates in general are poorly studied, vastly underestimated in terms of human health.

so many industries create nanoparticulates that are basically unknown to science but logically exist. regulators don’t care about particulates smaller than .3 microns. even though we know that particles smaller than that are far worse for human health. once you’re in that range where particles can pass through your skin, hitch rides on nerves, accumulate in your eyes , enter your blood stream from your lungs. it’s pretty hosed up.

did junji ito write this

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

jetz0r posted:

lmao if you're not wearing an n95 mask anytime you're outdoors near civilization now

n95s are not effective for nano particles. I think some studies have shown 60% effectiveness down to 50nm or so dropping off hard after that. also varies wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer.

really need a p100 papr system

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

how am I not dead already

you are, you just don't know it yet

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw my boomer parents for thanksgiving, and my dad said while he knew climate change was bad, he went through this little thing called the vietnam war draft

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chamale posted:

Humans are pretty tough. Lots of people live to 65 on an all cheetos and slurpees diet. People who don't drink or smoke or eat meat live to an average of 90, but they're a bunch of minmaxers

You say that but they're so got drat fragile

Who wants to live to 90 in this day and age anyway? What's that, like 2080? Hellish

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I saw my boomer parents for thanksgiving, and my dad said while he knew climate change was bad, he went through this little thing called the vietnam war draft

Oh, that's spectacular.

He got the draft, the entire biosphere gets Agent Orange. Or something.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Tabletops posted:

n95s are not effective for nano particles. I think some studies have shown 60% effectiveness down to 50nm or so dropping off hard after that. also varies wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer.

really need a p100 papr system

i'm wearing them anyways for covid. the nano particle reduction is a bonus. p100s come out when the smoke is bad enough, though.

you can tell p100s filter a lot more because of how they clip smells. specifically dirty combustion smells, like leafblowers. those smell the same in an n95, but the smell while wearing a p100 is very different because all the tiny carbon bits and poo poo is being trapped, so you mostly get the even smaller vapors that get through the filter.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

jetz0r posted:

i'm wearing them anyways for covid. the nano particle reduction is a bonus. p100s come out when the smoke is bad enough, though.

you can tell p100s filter a lot more because of how they clip smells. specifically dirty combustion smells, like leafblowers. those smell the same in an n95, but the smell while wearing a p100 is very different because all the tiny carbon bits and poo poo is being trapped, so you mostly get the even smaller vapors that get through the filter.

I love papr p100 systems, even just hoods. cleanest air you’ll ever breath

edit: also they’re surprisingly comfortable

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I've seen 3 separate groups of people smugly go "Checkmate, Climateailures" over this same article

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1463903558923870212

Their take is that the ocean warming "before climate change" is proof that climate change isn't happening?

Not that a natural millennia long changing of global water temperatures is a normal natural process we are turbo charging and adding onto or making worse

"Ocean get heat before heat make? Why so, fool?"

Rapid Atlantification along the Fram Strait at the beginning of the 20th century

A smooth brained idiot will, of course, absolutely point to this and claim it as evidence that warming is a natural function.

Anyone who has been following this for a while will feel their stomach drop a few notches as they put two and two together: The process of climate warming is an exponential function, starting out gentle and leading to a hockey stick in due time once it really kicks in. All of our modeling is based on an assumption that we are on the relatively flat part of the doom curve still, based on an assumed start date in the early 1900's, and any projections regarding impacts thus depend on us not yet at the brief sharply vertical axis immediately before the death of all things.

Everything which has been happening, seemingly decades before it was "supposed to" based on current modeling? That bizarre situation we've been in for years now where everything is breaking down faster than expected? How many times have we said that, or heard it, in the past few years? All of these feedback loops beginning to trigger out of the blue when even "worst case" RCP 8.5 has them stable for decades still? Permafrost melting out 70-90 years ahead of schedule? Greenland shedding ice like a dog in the springtime?

That's because it's assumed we're still on the gentle horizontal, with time to brake before we hit the wall.

If this paper is correct, we are not. We already heading up that vertical axis of rapidly exponential doom. We ran out of runway twenty years or more ago. Our models are inherently forward shifted, that's what this article is saying bluntly. If the data is correct, and the arctic was warming that fast, that early, the modeling is wrong. Any projections coming out of it regarding impacts on weather patterns, triggering of feedback loops, and forward warming by X date, are decades in the past.

I have to wonder if this is why they quietly shifted the "pre-industrial" date for modelling forward from the 1800's, back in the mid 2010's. They knew.

Good poo poo, good poo poo. What a banger of a week this has been.

Rime has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Nov 26, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A Terrible Person posted:

Oh, that's spectacular.

He got the draft, the entire biosphere gets Agent Orange. Or something.

I was telling them about how being 39, I've had two lives, before 2000 were things were generally nice, and then after where things have continued to get worse. He said I should be thankful for capitalism because the super hot 1999 stonk market let them pay for my college in full lol

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/25/fertilizer-shortage-north-america-farmers-food-prices
North American fertilizer shortage sparks fears of higher food prices
Warning to ‘get your fertilizer now’ as farmers postpone nitrogen purchases, raising threat of rush on supplies before planting season

A global shortage of nitrogen fertilizer is driving prices to record levels, prompting North America’s farmers to delay purchases and raising the risk of a spring scramble to apply the crop nutrient before planting season.

World food prices hit a 10-year high in October, according to the UN food agency, led by increases in cereal crops such as wheat and vegetable oils.

The Texas Arctic blast in February and Hurricane Ida in August disrupted US fertilizer production. Then, prices of natural gas, a key input in producing nitrogen, soared in Europe due to high demand and low supplies. Global urea prices this month topped $1,000 a tonne for the first time, according to BMO Capital Markets. Russia and China have curbed exports.

Global nitrogen fertilizer sales were worth $53bn in 2020, and prices are at least 80% higher so far this year, according to Argus Media.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I really like the "you benefited at some point from capitalism, so you can't criticize it" argument, especially when you benefitted at a time when you had no meaningful choice to opt out

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

petit choux posted:

There are things that pull you under and
There are things that drag you down
But there's a power and a vital presence
That's lurking all around

(Apologies for quoting Bad Religion from 89 or so)

recipe for hate came out in 93, OP

(it's my favorite album, and i listen to a lot of music)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i really picked the wrong month to stop drinking didn't i?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I was telling them about how being 39, I've had two lives, before 2000 were things were generally nice, and then after where things have continued to get worse. He said I should be thankful for capitalism because the super hot 1999 stonk market let them pay for my college in full lol

Ah, the sweet taste of survivor's guilt where your degree may or may not be worth anything to you but everyone else is floundering paying years after the fact for the same "privilege."

Sorry, kinda in a weird place myself.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

actionjackson posted:

Things started to get worse in the 80s don't kid yourself

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol havent been reading this thread but i just realised based on my genetics I'm probably going to live to be over 90 and lolol the horrors i get to see

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what, you've got some genetic predisposition to not dying of starvation or deadly wet bulb temperatures or drowning or being buried alive in mudslides?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Maybe not all at once

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i got bad news for you then

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

mawarannahr posted:

it’s find-out-o-clock for Canada

Death to Canada.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I've seen 3 separate groups of people smugly go "Checkmate, Climateailures" over this same article

Their take is that the ocean warming "before climate change" is proof that climate change isn't happening?

Not that a natural millennia long changing of global water temperatures is a normal natural process we are turbo charging and adding onto or making worse

"Ocean get heat before heat make? Why so, fool?"

These people are evil beyond reckoning and I hope you told them that

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
A rising tide drowns us all equally.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

apatheticman posted:

A rising tide drowns us all equally.

In other news, superyachts are THE hot new multi-billionaire mobile bolthole hedge against Elonsyium missing its launch date! Get yours now with combination helipad/launchpad!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In other news, superyachts are THE hot new multi-billionaire mobile bolthole hedge against Elonsyium missing its launch date! Get yours now with combination helipad/launchpad!

Imma turn my corpse into a mine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Things started to get worse in the 80s don't kid yourself

I agree, I'd say basically 1980 and reaganomics, where you get the wage and productivity split

however you can't deny poo poo has gone into over drive since 2000, with 9/11, all the oil wars, the 2008 recession, and then climate change really accelerating since 2010 or so

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Was it this thread that had the long, sudden, unexpected derail about dental hygiene and the dangers of infection? Because, if so, I would like to thank you all for ramping my personal anxiety beyond the stratosphere.

Waiting a few more weeks to afford getting multiple teeth pulled and then immediately losing my job in the resulting downtime. Or dying from infection in the meantime, I guess?

Lmao lol

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Was it this thread that had the long, sudden, unexpected derail about dental hygiene and the dangers of infection? Because, if so, I would like to thank you all for ramping my personal anxiety beyond the stratosphere.

Waiting a few more weeks to afford getting multiple teeth pulled and then immediately losing my job in the resulting downtime. Or dying from infection in the meantime, I guess?

Lmao lol

Just as a general rule of thumb - any problems in your head in general can get to your brain or important nerves real fuckin' quick. The mouth is a common vector because, well, food + regular gas exchange + warm = bacteria playground but just in general don't mess around with things gone wrong around your brain meat case.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dark and wet too

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Lmao lol

same as someone who struggled with taking even the smallest amount of care for my teeth due to mental illness and other stuff for many many years.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Complications posted:

Just as a general rule of thumb - any problems in your head in general can get to your brain or important nerves real fuckin' quick. The mouth is a common vector because, well, food + regular gas exchange + warm = bacteria playground but just in general don't mess around with things gone wrong around your brain meat case.

I had a root canal in like 2008, the tooth it was on had a contained infection, dentist was like "we're closed this weekend so just go to the ER if there is any issues".

Went to bed with some medium dental pain thought it was just the freezing wearing off.

Woke up, face was inflated, got my roommate to drive me to the hospital.

Walked in, there was a dude with a piece of metal in his leg, some dude holding a knife in his arm. Go up to the nurse and I'm like
"Id like to see a doctor"
He's like "What for?" and looks up and is like "oh"
I joked that it was my ankle.

I was in seeing a doctor in less than a minute. An IV in my arm in less than 5.

Also a doctor explained to a resident why it was the case.

They do not gently caress around. (also this was Canada)

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Nov 26, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

To be honest considering how dangerous infections of the mouth can be that was probably the right call on the triage. Hell they might have even done it in the states! For tens of thousands probably

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell they might have even done it in the states! For tens of thousands probably

Exactly why I been holding off until some of my teeth are black stumps and most of the rest have taken on a sorta grayish half-transparent look.

And now I am half assured I am going to die.

Wonderful.

On the plus side, at least I'm dodging Covid!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

actionjackson posted:

I agree, I'd say basically 1980 and reaganomics, where you get the wage and productivity split

however you can't deny poo poo has gone into over drive since 2000, with 9/11, all the oil wars, the 2008 recession, and then climate change really accelerating since 2010 or so

gently caress you, I'm an American. I'll deny whatever I want. I'll deny what's right in front of my face! You can't tell me what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Not trying to be a concern troll here but if the warming started a lot earlier than previously thought would that not mean that the rate of warming we've been measuring is slower than we thought it was?