Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize it was just in South Africa. I guess this means I am all clear to lick doorknobs at my Thanksgiving gathering now.

Myabe it will get here by Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

withak posted:

I didn't realize it was just in South Africa. I guess this means I am all clear to lick doorknobs at my Thanksgiving gathering now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1463911577544011780

Gauteng's capital is Johannesburg and there have been many flights into US and other international cities, from a location where it's been the dominant variant for new for weeks..

Good thing the CDC was given billions to update and improve surveillance but somehow hasn't done anything.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah if that variant is up to 90% of cases in a large city, it's safe to assume it's already made its way to several travel hubs and will be fanning out before too long

edit: i hope they call this variant 69 due to the position of the spike deletion

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 25, 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bad Purchase posted:

edit: i hope they call this variant 69 due to the position of the spike deletion

If it kills the 'nice' meme it would almost be worth it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

withak posted:

no virus has ever crossed a border before

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

withak posted:

It could be here already.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe I should hold off on doorknob licking then??

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So far it's feeling like the Moderna booster is hitting me about as hard as Moderna #2 did - feel feverish and achy and generally uncomfortable, like not mildly so. Throwing ibuprofen staggered with aspirin and acetaminophen at it.

Still better than Moderna #1 - after that one I had about 24 hours of extreme sound sensitivity where normal household noises were painful.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

withak posted:

Maybe I should hold off on doorknob licking then??

you fool how do you think you acquire immunity?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

withak posted:

I didn't realize it was just in South Africa.

It's been detected in Hong Kong as well

quote:

The first cases of the variant were collected in Botswana on 11 November, and the earliest in South Africa was recorded three days later. The case found in Hong Kong was a 36-year-old man who had a negative PCR test before flying from Hong Kong to South Africa, where he stayed from 22 October to 11 November. He tested negative on his return to Hong Kong, but tested positive on 13 November while in quarantine.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/24/scientists-warn-of-new-covid-variant-with-high-number-of-mutations

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Famous South African holiday Thanksgiving

If it's spreading rapidly in South Africa then it's already in America

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like seriously I can't even imagine looking at that infection curve and being like "well nothing to worry about, South Africa is leagues away"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
But if so many people are vaccinated, why aren't cases going down yet? - an idiot somewhere

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Blitter posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1463911577544011780

Gauteng's capital is Johannesburg and there have been many flights into US and other international cities, from a location where it's been the dominant variant for new for weeks..

Good thing the CDC was given billions to update and improve surveillance but somehow hasn't done anything.

We're on the brink of winding back the last of our covid restrictions now, but we should probably start reimposing them before the new strain has a chance to take hold here. We have a high vaccination rate here but not a lot of people have received 3rd doses yet and our vaccination rate may turn out to be irrelevant with his strain.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
UK put South Africa on Red List, see you guys in 2024 :smith:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol that the government didn’t institute mandatory covid vaccinations like with polio. What a colossal fuckup

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

While hearing about a new strain isn't great, it feels like over the last year we have had a lot more reports of strains of interest than we have had actual problems arise. Like, sure, the Delta variant was a game-changer, but I remember reports about variants of concern from Peru and other places that ended up not being a thing. Remain vigilant, get vaccinated, but I'm reserving getting too paranoid about variants until we have documented spread and clear evidence the vaccines are insufficient against a given strain.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My body is a soup of chemicals, AZ x 2 , Pfizer Boostee, Flu shot, let's do this :getin:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

none of those variants had basically vertical graphs of them out-competing delta.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

none of those variants had basically vertical graphs of them out-competing delta.

But it also doesn't say much about vaccine effectiveness given SA has something like a 24% vaccination rate.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
crossposting from the DnD thread,

The first graphic here is slightly misleading, the variant did not suddenly spike to 75% of cases in South Africa. The data for the last two weeks is incomplete. If you look through the whole thread, they find lots of cases in Gauteng Province but also rising cases in Limpopo and North West provinces:

https://twitter.com/miamalan/status/1463846548727635968
In the second figure you'll note that recent data is missing for most of the other provinces, the blue blob is B.1.1.529 in Gauteng but they don't have data from the same time period for most/all the other provinces.

The tweet thread isn't deliberately trying to mislead, I'm just saying if you look at the "B.1.1.529 Becoming Dominant" slide with nation-wide proportions and conclude that the new variant has suddenly overtaken the entire nation with 75% of cases of the last two weeks, that's not an accurate interpretation. Almost all the recent data is from Gauteng province where the variant is many of the cases. It did definitely spike in that province, you can see the shift from red/yellow to blue, but it's not 75% of the whole nation in a few weeks.

It's still of great concern, that particular interpretation is inaccurate though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Beachcomber posted:

If it kills the 'nice' meme it would almost be worth it.

nothing will kill the nice meme

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
“outcompete delta” is a concerning phrase considering that delta owned the other variants so hard that it’s >99.9% of cases in most places. Let’s hope the vaccines still prevent severe disease from this one!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Best case imo is the vaccines provide good protection but it can easily bypass immunity from previous infections so all the chuds catch covid again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

Best case imo is the vaccines provide good protection but it can easily bypass immunity from previous infections so all the chuds catch covid again.

Isn't that fairly true of covid in general already? Natural immunity is okay but not durable, leading to reinfection being pretty likely?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Isn't that fairly true of covid in general already? Natural immunity is okay but not durable, leading to reinfection being pretty likely?
I believe delta evaded the immunity of people who had original Covid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah there's lots of chatter but nothing concrete yet
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1463977571746516998

.... but the UK and Israel just banned travel from several African countries as a precaution
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1463976694486818817
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1463980260224077829

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
*Delta Airlines breathes a quiet sigh of relief*

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... but the UK and Israel just banned travel from several African countries as a precaution
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1463976694486818817
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1463980260224077829

Understandable. Taking a "wait until there's more data" attitude towards Delta allowed it to rip through one unprepared country after another.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't wait until the usual suspects try to blame all of our problems on Africa instead of China.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

Does the variant exist in the US yet? It’s like the only country to celebrate Thanksgiving

A couple of Canadians are currently hammering out angry effort posts

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just talked to my cousin in North Dakota. She and her two kids have asthma so she's been taking it very seriously, but she said literally everyone else she knows in North Dakota has had covid, with zero exceptions. drat.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zugzwang posted:

“outcompete delta” is a concerning phrase considering that delta owned the other variants so hard that it’s >99.9% of cases in most places. Let’s hope the vaccines still prevent severe disease from this one!

"outcompete delta" is better than, "does not need to compete with delta, both strains circulating at the same time"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1464085486713061376?s=21

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lolie posted:

Understandable. Taking a "wait until there's more data" attitude towards Delta allowed it to rip through one unprepared country after another.

We're almost ready to act now though!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

If you read this carefully you'll see that it may be less transmissible and the vaccines may be more effective.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Well they didn't really hit a large surge until after they opened their doors to the uncultured Western barbarians so there might be something in that ..... :thunk:

reminder that Takeshi tried to save them all

quote:

Takeshi Kitano, known as “Beat Takeshi”—a world-renowned film director who rarely speaks seriously on sensitive political issues—also made his position on the issue clear.

“The fact that Tokyo is asking local municipalities to secure beds means they are anticipating they will have sick patients to put in them. They might as well be saying: ‘Hey, we have plenty of morgues in Tokyo! In fact, we've got American-sized coffins, European-sized coffins… we've got all the coffins you need. A great selection! Come to Tokyo for the Olympics!’

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"outcompete delta" is better than, "does not need to compete with delta, both strains circulating at the same time"
:shepface:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Anyone know what the the cheapest 3m filter is that is covid "approved"?

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

After two doses of AZ earlier in the year i got my Pfizer booster a few hours ago, other than a slight niggle at the injection site nothing to report.

22 hours later; feeling very washed out (much like my previous AZ experience), jab site tender.... it's doing its job. :)

24 hours later; uncomfortable night full of aching muscles/joints and a bit of a temperature, got 9 hours sleep which was nice.

Feeling perfectly fine now, jobs done. :cheersbird: