Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Powerful "THERE ARE NO FACTS ABOUT UNICORNS" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I want to make a joke about Santa spreading their fears instead of their mothers but I don't know just how to fill everything in.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I want to make a joke about Santa spreading their fears instead of their mothers but I don't know just how to fill everything in.

Curious, since your mother is an expert at getting filled in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cinni posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/22/22796271/uber-eats-order-weed-cannabis-marijuana-app-ontario-canada-no-delivery

"Uber is partnering with a cannabis retailer in Canada to allow cannabis purchases via its Uber Eats food delivery platform. The arrangement does not include delivery of weed orders, however, but makes it possible for users in Ontario to order products from Tokyo Smoke in a dedicated section on the Uber Eats app.

For customers in Ontario, in the Uber Eats app, select either the “cannabis” category or search for “Tokyo Smoke.” After confirming their age, the customer is directed to the menu of a Tokyo Smoke store in the area to place their order, which Uber says will be filled within an hour. The consumer then picks up their order at the Tokyo Smoke store."

So what is Uber Eats really doing besides being the middle man to let you preorder at a premium, when you have to go all the way down to the store yourself to get it anyway. What value is this adding besides checking what the 1 dispensary they're using has on menu beforehand? Wouldn't they already have a website that can do these things (or should at least by now)?

Uber cannot die quickly enough

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Blue Moonlight posted:

Much like how nobody who was following the instructions given when setting up a phone key on a Tesla was locked out of their car, nobody following the directions on a smart deadbolt is going to be locked out of their house. Both are going to tell you to have the physical key on you in the event of failure, because both are intended as a supplemental unlocking mechanism, not as a replacement.

Of course, as per usual with Tesla, they brought it on themselves by trying to be as precious and magical as possible with their implementation, resulting in their customers giving it way more faith than it deserves. I’ve certainly had times with my phone key where it didn’t unlock or start my Tesla (usually because Bluetooth decides to be, well, Bluetooth), and I grumble and dredge the key card out of my wallet and am on my way. For these people to not have touched the hot pan on this in the past almost defies belief.

Regarding break-ins, I don’t know that a smart deadbolt realistically changes the math on how likely a break-in is, or how readily it could be addressed (hell, on mine, the drat thing is so loud that someone could probably pick the lock or break a window more surreptitiously, hah). Maybe that changes as adoption grows though.

I will totally agree on the point of reliance on an app - all my smart things have to have physical controls and basic operability even without connectivity.

They are significantly mote vulnerable to intrusion than non-digital locks

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Improbable Lobster posted:

They are significantly mote vulnerable to intrusion than non-digital locks

Hope you don’t have any windows in your house

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People respond when they hear windows breaking

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brother Tadger posted:

I think the difference is that you can pick an IoT lock from farther away and then just walk in the unlocked door like you own the place. Breaking in through a window involves skulking and noise.

An IoT lock also tells you the mark probably has a lot of other expensive electronics inside, so you don't waste time breaking into some old's house who hasn't bought a new TV since 1998.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Uber cannot die quickly enough

Sounds completely reasonable to me.
Use uber to order weed that doesn't get delivered, then take an uber to pick the weed up, take uber back home.

Win Win (for uber)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Brother Tadger posted:

I can't steal your car by standing in your driveway and looking through your window

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29517/watch-car-thieves-steal-a-tesla-model-s-in-under-30-seconds-using-a-relay-device

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wesleywillis posted:

Sounds completely reasonable to me.
Use uber to order weed that doesn't get delivered, then take an uber to pick the weed up, take uber back home.

Win Win (for uber)

As far as I can tell it's actually "order your weed through ubereats, walk to the weed store,get your weed and then walk home"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

As far as I can tell it's actually "order your weed through ubereats, walk to the weed store,get your weed and then walk home"

"Well, yeah you *could* walk there. But walking is for suckers so why not 'grab an uber' instead?" - Uber CEO and board members.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

wesleywillis posted:

"Well, yeah you *could* walk there. But walking is for suckers so why not 'grab an uber' instead?" - Uber CEO and board members.

Have you considered maybe taking an electric scooter from your front door to your Uber?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Enrique, please fetch me my marihuana

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

During the Cowboys game tonight there was this long maudlin animated commercial about a son leaving his family farm, which then goes out of business. The commercial ends with him returning, bringing the farm back to life and then revealing that this was somehow a commercial for Chipotle

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

what :pwn:

those types of commercials are the worst. and they’re always way too long

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HOLY gently caress posted:

what :pwn:

those types of commercials are the worst. and they’re always way too long

https://twitter.com/ChipotleTweets/status/1460643659414532098

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
See, that one I could've generally guessed, because a lot of restaurant or supermarket chains like to run some 'we support local farmers' ads to give the big chain some heart and make you feel like they're not just a soulless corporate giant.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
chipotle supports America's hard-working e.coli farmers :patriot:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

the holy poopacy posted:

chipotle supports America's hard-working e.coli farmers :patriot:

that's a drat fine username/post combo

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Chipotle manager on Friday morning:

"Who in the gently caress authorized this?"

"Uhh you did boss, you saw it on Monday. Authorized it and everything."

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

It’s even longer than I thought :gonk:

The animals are really cute though

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Following the success of smoked brisket and barbacoa, Chipotle is adding a new protein to its menu, which will be available in burrito, salad, and bowl: bacteria!! Stop in and receive a bacterial load today.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Certainly an improvement on the loads that are usually in my burrito

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In a weird way it reminds of an episode of Gintama where it was a whole dramatic story about war, loss, and a planet where a terraforming computer had gone out of control and then in last minute it turned out the whole episode was an advertisement for a hair-growth shampoo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alhazred posted:

I actually like this marketing move. It's fifty years since homosexuality was decriminalized in Norway and to celebrate that the mail service made a commercial about a man falling in love with Santa:
https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1463544981075988489

Haha, "Santa can't be gay because he's married to Mrs. Claus." I guess these people have never gone on a dating site as a man seeking a man.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BattleMaster posted:

Haha, "Santa can't be gay because he's married to Mrs. Claus." I guess these people have never gone on a dating site as a man seeking a man.

Ever notice how Santa and Mrs. Claus don't have kids?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Alhazred posted:

I actually like this marketing move. It's fifty years since homosexuality was decriminalized in Norway and to celebrate that the mail service made a commercial about a man falling in love with Santa:
https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1463544981075988489

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOLam2AwXY

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is crazy, Santa Claus was very, very clear that he delivers present to all the good girls and boys.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm willing to bet this has been posted elsewhere, but it's a good fit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

I watched this last night - it's an almost two-hour documentary about the fiasco of the FastPass system in Disney theme parks.

This is not a topic I thought I would be interested in, initially. I've enjoyed other Defunctland videos in the past, but this one is, like, Jon Bois good. Strong recommend.

also, people who are obsessed with Disney vacations are loving insane

That certainly was a lot of time to say that Westerns loving suck at queuing and will spend decades of time and billions of dollars instead of learning some patience.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ever notice how Santa and Mrs. Claus don't have kids?

Extremely rude, they are infertile, and have decided that the all of the elves of the north pole shall be their children and put their efforts into that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Volmarias posted:

Extremely rude, they are infertile, and have decided that the all of the elves of the north pole shall be their children and put their efforts into that.

Dooming them to a hellish life of unending enforced chores??

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
All the elves are their children, and Mrs. Klaus is endlessly spawning new broods.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Croccers posted:

That certainly was a lot of time to say that Westerns loving suck at queuing

*Misses the 3:10 to Yuma*

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Croccers posted:

That certainly was a lot of time to say that Westerns loving suck at queuing and will spend decades of time and billions of dollars instead of learning some patience.
I can patiently wait at home. Why should I pay an amusement park for that experience?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Croccers posted:

Clearly you have never been to China.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I went to disneyland exactly once and they had a thing where you could get a ticket with a timeslot instead of queuing so we got a bunch of tickets for things and then walked around looking at stuff and never actually queued for anything. It was pretty great and I assume that system is still there and also in disneyworld so I genuinely don't understand why people without disabilities keep talking about queues.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

I went to disneyland exactly once and they had a thing where you could get a ticket with a timeslot instead of queuing so we got a bunch of tickets for things and then walked around looking at stuff and never actually queued for anything. It was pretty great and I assume that system is still there and also in disneyworld so I genuinely don't understand why people without disabilities keep talking about queues.

well your memory is wrong because you're talking about fastpass and you could only get one at a time

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Splicer posted:

That system became completely broken from being overused, tied to a broken app in the rush to make apps of everything, and used as a way to promote SYNERGY! with Disneys other products which is what the documentary’s about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alaois posted:

well your memory is wrong because you're talking about fastpass and you could only get one at a time
Wait that's the thing people were hiring children with disabilities to abuse?

Jesus christ.