Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think I only ran out of XP in late ARR because I switched jobs around 30, and because I didn't do leveling roulette every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do leveling roulette every day and you shouldn't ever run into msq gaps.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You don't even need to do it every day, really. Like, from 47-49 will take two days of leveling roulette plus one or two days of Frontlines roulette.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kwyndig posted:

Do leveling roulette every day and you shouldn't ever run into msq gaps.

but it takes thirty minutes and gets boring super fast

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cant imagine anything less boring than number going up, personally

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm hardly one to talk since I haven't done leveling roulette since I got my last 80. I'd do adventurer in need for materia but I also have a huge stockpile of plani- and stellaclusters.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TyrantWD posted:

i thought you could level by purely doing the MSQs, and I would even join in on FATES when I saw others doing them.

you can actually, cos i did just that. plus random fates and class (glad/pal) quests and no daily roulettes until i started getting my pugilist up and GC seals post ARR. but the irony is, i didnt skip any ARR and was level 54 when i beat it and never had any too low level gaps and i switched at level 26 from archer to gladiator, so :shrug:

but yeah do what others are saying, you can easy get 2-3 levels per run doing the daily roulette and then the highest *6-9 dungeon you got, cos im levelling up a pugilist that way at the moment and its a breeze. not seen anyone mention this but if you start a new class too from level 1, best way to get that to level 15/16 so you can do the daily roulette is completing the hunting log for that class too.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 26, 2021

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Eat food or drink water before finishing quests for an extra 3%. The hunting log is also ok for XP.

I was always way ahead of the MSQ requirements, but my server had the Road to 70 buff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heran Bago posted:

Eat food or drink water before finishing quests for an extra 3%. The hunting log is also ok for XP.

I thought that was just kill XP! Good to know!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I thought that was just kill XP! Good to know!

It is just kill XP!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I had the well fed buff up pretty religiously and outpaced ARR by a good 4 to 5 levels the whole way. I only ever did MSQ, Blue quests whenever I saw them, and the Hunting log.

Speaking of...now that I in that limbo between ARR and HW, should I just focus on powering through MSQ quests to get to HW, or is it worthwhile to branch out into the inundation of other stuff that just unlocked? I've been tempted to farm poetics but I dunno if that gear is just going to be replaced immediately. Also is there any point to running the hard modes of dungeons right now?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I had the well fed buff up pretty religiously and outpaced ARR by a good 4 to 5 levels the whole way. I only ever did MSQ, Blue quests whenever I saw them, and the Hunting log.

Speaking of...now that I in that limbo between ARR and HW, should I just focus on powering through MSQ quests to get to HW, or is it worthwhile to branch out into the inundation of other stuff that just unlocked? I've been tempted to farm poetics but I dunno if that gear is just going to be replaced immediately. Also is there any point to running the hard modes of dungeons right now?

Branch out!

1) crystal tower is mandatory to clear 2.5 so if you don't work it as you go along you're going to have to stop and do it all at a rather inconvenient plot juncture anyway.

2) Ironworks poetics gear won't be replaced until level 55 dungeon or level 56 vendor/crafted drops.

3) "Hard mode" dungeons are actual full sequels with new stories, new fights, and new design. Most are a lot of fun and really cool. Also, every first time clear gets you poetics, which see #2.

With flight and the ARR tweaks they did to msq in 5.3 it's less likely to happen, but over the years I have seen a number of folks try to do nothing but msq straight to HW and burn out, so try to avoid that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, it's a good idea to break up the MSQ with some of that other stuff. Especially the Crystal Tower raids, you have to do them but the game forces you into it at a really awkward point. Better to go do them early.

Poetics gear stays relevant until around level 55, and that holds true for the other expansions too. It always lasts about five levels, and that just means you can start getting better pieces of gear, it's not totally worthless. It's definitely worth getting.

The point of running hard mode dungeons is that they're fun and have cool stuff in 'em. "Hard mode" is kind of a misnomer, they're not actually harder (sometimes they're much easier), it's just the term for remixed dungeons that use the same basic map. But they're usually VERY different, with completely new bosses and enemies, absolutely worth checking out.

Especially Tam-Tara hard.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also you will get plenty of poetics from just doing all the new stuff that unlocks + first-time bonuses on it, so you probably don't need to farm explicitly unless you are gearing up multiple jobs ----there is a cap, after all.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

It is just kill XP!

Lmao I have been hydrating for no reason.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have 3 jobs at level 30 because I keep out leveling the msq.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's one way to handle the oodles of exp they vomit all over you at lower levels. Just remember to keep your main a level of two in advance.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I finally did it. I am no longer a free trial player. I bought the starter pack and went straight to the market board. Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Gonna mogstation upgrade for that helm of light too and buy endwalker when i get close to stormblood i guess lol

Question tho, i kinda wanna change my first name and saw they charge for it lol but i got a bottle of fantasia from finishing arr, will that let me change my name or it is just appearence?

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 26, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

I finally did it. I am no longer a free trial player. I bought the starter pack and went straight to the market board. Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Gonna mogstation upgrade for that helm of light too and buy endwalker when i get close to stormblood i guess lol

Question ho, i kinda wanna change my first name and saw they charge for it lol but i got a bottle of fantasia from finishing arr, will that let me change my name or it is just appearence?

Fantasia is basically everything but the name, including even letting you change your patron diety and nameday if you care to.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vikar Jerome posted:

Question ho, i kinda wanna change my first name and saw they charge for it lol but i got a bottle of fantasia from finishing arr, will that let me change my name or it is just appearence?

It's just appearance, name change is a separate charge. It's a shame, but it does mean we're gonna see a lot of male viera with the last name "Tia" on the third :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Heran Bago posted:

Lmao I have been hydrating for no reason.

You still want to do it in level appropriate dungeons (like within 5 levels or so) because kill XP is the most significant source in them and they give out a huge chunk.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Begemot posted:

It's just appearance, name change is a separate charge. It's a shame, but it does mean we're gonna see a lot of male viera with the last name "Tia" on the third :v:

Wait are we really getting bunny bois? I thought that was a meme lmao. Only thing i know about endwalker is stuff from the two trailers and the new classes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes come Endwalker male viera will be playable. You can make one now by downloading the benchmark tool and it'll let you pre set up one.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait are we really getting bunny bois? I thought that was a meme lmao. Only thing i know about endwalker is stuff from the two trailers and the new classes.

Bunny boys are going to be in at launch, yep. They're tiny emo twinks (their minimum and maximum heights are smaller than female viera at the same slider values).

Hrothgals are also coming but they didn't want to rush them so those are in the pipeline and we haven't seen their design yet.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NxPJ_BPSwU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Bunny boys are going to be in at launch, yep. They're tiny emo twinks (their minimum and maximum heights are smaller than female viera at the same slider values).

Hrothgals are also coming but they didn't want to rush them so those are in the pipeline and we haven't seen their design yet.

I was devastated to learn hrothgals are not in the near future :negative:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skypie posted:

I was devastated to learn hrothgals are not in the near future :negative:

They'll probably be in like 6.1 or 6.2, so next year some time.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. in my mind the fact they didn't come right out and give a 7.0 release date for hrothgals means they're going to be sometime in the Endwalker cycle.

Based on previous history too this means we may well get a sneak preview of them via quests too.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah my buddy said they're probably coming in the first or second patch too. I'm just being dramatic :v:

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to speedrun leveling a gathering job to 80 before next Friday?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skypie posted:

Yeah my buddy said they're probably coming in the first or second patch too. I'm just being dramatic :v:

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to speedrun leveling a gathering job to 80 before next Friday?

Absolutely, those are the fastest jobs to level. I got miner to 50 in like two hours, it's ridiculous.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

man I wish you could bank xp and spend it where you want

sub 50 alt leveling sucks enormous amounts of rear end

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Begemot posted:

Absolutely, those are the fastest jobs to level. I got miner to 50 in like two hours, it's ridiculous.

Cool. Might make it my goal to get at least one up there so I can try to make some money early in the expansion. I want to try and get a house when the new Ward opens up later in the expansion

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fishing you can get to 80 in like a day just playing for 15 minutes every 2 hours with Ocean Fishing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

That's one way to handle the oodles of exp they vomit all over you at lower levels. Just remember to keep your main a level of two in advance.

Why, and what's a main?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You get an xp bonus for classes that are below the level of your highest level class, and your main is just your highest level class.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Mikey Purp posted:

As someone who did more or less mainline MSQ in that stretch (it was fine) - it’s not just Crystal Tower that’s mandatory, there are also 3 required hard mode primals. They are easy fights through the finder but no reason to put them off until you hit the hard requirement point for them, might as well do them as you go.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Folks consider their "main" the job they play as their primary job when running content or doing things for the first time. You often will hear folks also talking about their "main" healer or dps or tank as the job they favor for a role even if they prefer a different role. As an example, Paladin is my main job. It's what I do MSQ and most new content on when doing it for the first time. I consider Scholar my healer "main" but it's not my primary job, just my primary healer selection.

It's terminology largely carried over from other mmos where you have to roll up different characters to play different jobs and folks have their main character and then alt characters to play around with.

14 features the Armory bonus, which is free bonus exp for jobs lower level than your highest level job (100% bonus exp for jobs 1-70, 50% for 71-80; when Endwalker drops the ranges will increase to 1-80 and 81-90).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pwnstar posted:

Fishing you can get to 80 in like a day just playing for 15 minutes every 2 hours with Ocean Fishing.

Yeah, Ocean Fishing is great if you have any interest in fishing at all. The XP is amazing, there are lots of fun achievements and cosmetic rewards, and it's also just relaxing fun on a party boat for when you're suffering from plot burnout. Bring lots of inventory space, though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tortolia posted:

14 features the Armory bonus, which is free bonus exp for jobs lower level than your highest level job (100% bonus exp for jobs 1-70, 50% for 71-80; when Endwalker drops the ranges will increase to 1-80 and 81-90).

Oh wow that really puts the 3% food bonus in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can buy food items for like 4 gil a piece so it's not a terrible idea to just stock up and pop food anytime you are in a dungeon. 3% isn't much but it adds up.