Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Doing the needful

Bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

pseudorandom posted:

Doing the needful

Bonus:

Is the background an AI generated goatse?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bike tory posted:

My packrat tendencies date back to this poo poo. I still have terabytes of old like 480p episodes of poo poo that I'll never, ever watch but can't bring myself to delete because somewhere in the back of my mind I think it's important to have stuff to share and offer in return.

I also have this and it really came in handy when I started going out into the field for work; you'd almost always have power but absolutely never have internet. So I would pack a hard-drive of data for the project I was on, and a hard-drive of movies and tv shows for the downtime.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Bismuth posted:

Is the background an AI generated goatse?

I wouldn't define myself as artificial or intelligent, so no. But it is several images I photoshopped together.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/539285683911786496/913196777233068082/tumblr_r2ppe8tl8w1qgz7mu_720.mp4

Sound on for God's sake

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Bonus" captures the heart and soul of the virgin social media user vs. the Chad true poster

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ty

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lmao

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc825fekWVY

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'd just like to say that I appreciate whoever 's been posting the star trek time loop meme and that this in no way a request for it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tree Bucket posted:

I'd just like to say that I appreciate whoever 's been posting the star trek time loop meme and that this in no way a request for it

My wife keeps threatening to leave me if I don't stop answering the phone like this, but I have convictions, dammit

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

pseudorandom posted:

I wouldn't define myself as artificial or intelligent, so no. But it is several images I photoshopped together.

Why not just use goatse :confused:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

OwlFancier posted:

I do not want to eat liberals even if you put them in a pie.

That's how you catch prion diseases.

Liberal meat: the Forbidden Turkey

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Bismuth posted:

Why not just use goatse :confused:

My (apparently poorly executed) intention was a cross-section where the bus was in the larger of the two rings, like a glass jar, so I made one myself trying to construct that perspective. Like, the perspective I was trying to make would have the front of the bus facing other hand.

:thejoke:

pseudorandom has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Nov 26, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I concur that it would make little sense to have the people looking at either side of the image if they were not located horizontally upon the meatus event horizon.

I support your creative decision making in this endeavour.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Brawnfire posted:

why do I bother

:mood:

i appreciated this

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Nov 26, 2021

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Tree Bucket posted:

Huh, I think it's only been posted once.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

flavor.flv posted:

My wife keeps threatening to leave me if I don't stop answering the phone like this, but I have convictions, dammit

Is there any context to this? Do you and your wife threaten to leave each other over anything else?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

mrpwase posted:

Is there any context to this? Do you and your wife threaten to leave each other over anything else?

Hello, yes, this is meme.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Magnificent

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

This is it. You have won at memes.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://twitter.com/ambient_soup/status/1463757435575967744?s=21

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok so I google'd this, and IRC is basically a chat room, and dcc is file sharing, but why is there a bot involved? Do you host the files on the IRC server? Were they powerful enough for filesharing?

It seems kind of like torrents? But worse? Was this before torrents were a thing?

I have used IRC a lot and still use it. Some communities that have always been there don't really like to move to more modern places.

I never used DCC or filesharing bots though so my explanation here will have some guesses on that part.

So, at its core, IRC is a distributed chat network. In fact, there are many such IRC networks. Each IRC network consists of one or more IRC servers that run an IRC server software, meaning that people can connect to them with IRC clients and chat to each other. Every server can have many different chat rooms (channels) such as #somethingawful, #weird_pr0n_discussion and #computer_help. Private message rooms are also available. Servers have administrators that do technical maintenance and ban spammers and stuff - but channel also have their own individual moderators so channel rules are often more specific than server rules.

Of course, if you let thousands of people use the same IRC server it gets sluggish. So usually you hook a bunch of IRC servers together, hosted all over the world, making an IRC network. The server admins together form the network administration team, and any chat message posted to a channel gets automatically sent to the same channel in all other servers, as if everyone is connected through the same single server. People are often evenly distributed across the servers in a network by having the URL round-robin through them as people connect.

It's good to realize that IRC networks are often run by volunteers, and that two separate IRC networks are not connected in any way. Only the servers within an IRC network are connected. So, a channel #somethingawful on the Libera network wouldn't be connected to a channel #somethingawful on EFnet.

Then, IRC bots. IRC bots are programs that run like clients and show up as regular users on an IRC server. You can send them commands and they will react as programmed. For instance you got bots that can store funny quotes and you can ask them to send a quote from its database.

Since people don't usually have a stable enough home connection, IRC bots like that are usually run from some online server. Not from an IRC server, mind you, just from a machine that is set up to act like an IRC client. But since it's on a hosting platform somewhere in the ~~cloud~~ you call it a server. I don't make the rules.

You could theoretically run a bot as an IRC server and connect it to the network. In fact this is commonly done for a group of very special bots called "services". They take care of stuff like nickname registration so that randos can't take your nickname when you're out. Since they need direct access to the IRC server backend to block nicknames they do need this server access.

And this is where a bit of guesswork comes in.

I believe those warez bots are/were bots of the first type - the one that act like regular users. They run on a server on some hosting platform - but that server does not just host the bot IRC client software but also a bunch of warez files. When you request a file through an IRC message over a network, the bot sets up a DCC connection with you. Direct-client-connect, completely bypassing the server. DCC was invented to have direct messaging for people who don't have IRC networks in common. But someone found out that you can use these direct messages to encode files and send those over the network. So it sends the file from the bot's server directly to you, without the IRC network being involved.

This, theoretically means that no files ever go over the IRC network itself, meaning that if the FBI comes snooping they won't find anything except for file requests and will have a harder time proving that files were actually sent.

I think the transfer speed is just limited by your and the bot's internet connection.

So the file sending is "peer to peer" but only in the sense that the other peer is always the same bot, so it's basically just a centralized download, but in the olden days a bit harder to track by authorities than a regular website.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have used IRC a lot and still use it. Some communities that have always been there don't really like to move to more modern places.

I never used DCC or filesharing bots though so my explanation here will have some guesses on that part.

So, at its core, IRC is a distributed chat network. In fact, there are many such IRC networks. Each IRC network consists of one or more IRC servers that run an IRC server software, meaning that people can connect to them with IRC clients and chat to each other. Every server can have many different chat rooms (channels) such as #somethingawful, #weird_pr0n_discussion and #computer_help. Private message rooms are also available. Servers have administrators that do technical maintenance and ban spammers and stuff - but channel also have their own individual moderators so channel rules are often more specific than server rules.

Of course, if you let thousands of people use the same IRC server it gets sluggish. So usually you hook a bunch of IRC servers together, hosted all over the world, making an IRC network. The server admins together form the network administration team, and any chat message posted to a channel gets automatically sent to the same channel in all other servers, as if everyone is connected through the same single server. People are often evenly distributed across the servers in a network by having the URL round-robin through them as people connect.

It's good to realize that IRC networks are often run by volunteers, and that two separate IRC networks are not connected in any way. Only the servers within an IRC network are connected. So, a channel #somethingawful on the Libera network wouldn't be connected to a channel #somethingawful on EFnet.

Then, IRC bots. IRC bots are programs that run like clients and show up as regular users on an IRC server. You can send them commands and they will react as programmed. For instance you got bots that can store funny quotes and you can ask them to send a quote from its database.

Since people don't usually have a stable enough home connection, IRC bots like that are usually run from some online server. Not from an IRC server, mind you, just from a machine that is set up to act like an IRC client. But since it's on a hosting platform somewhere in the ~~cloud~~ you call it a server. I don't make the rules.

You could theoretically run a bot as an IRC server and connect it to the network. In fact this is commonly done for a group of very special bots called "services". They take care of stuff like nickname registration so that randos can't take your nickname when you're out. Since they need direct access to the IRC server backend to block nicknames they do need this server access.

And this is where a bit of guesswork comes in.

I believe those warez bots are/were bots of the first type - the one that act like regular users. They run on a server on some hosting platform - but that server does not just host the bot IRC client software but also a bunch of warez files. When you request a file through an IRC message over a network, the bot sets up a DCC connection with you. Direct-client-connect, completely bypassing the server. DCC was invented to have direct messaging for people who don't have IRC networks in common. But someone found out that you can use these direct messages to encode files and send those over the network. So it sends the file from the bot's server directly to you, without the IRC network being involved.

This, theoretically means that no files ever go over the IRC network itself, meaning that if the FBI comes snooping they won't find anything except for file requests and will have a harder time proving that files were actually sent.

I think the transfer speed is just limited by your and the bot's internet connection.

So the file sending is "peer to peer" but only in the sense that the other peer is always the same bot, so it's basically just a centralized download, but in the olden days a bit harder to track by authorities than a regular website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

https://twitter.com/HawtKoffee/status/1463680837984129027?t=RmSOqrqnNF9z1VwALtkZCg&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Where is the lunatic jumping around the cabin like a methed up kangaroo

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Baron von der Loon posted:

Huh, I think it's only been posted once.

Or a dozen, or a hundred. It’s impossible to tell.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

SimonSays posted:

I moo at them of course.

Got really angry reading the post this was replying to and basically yelled this at my phone thank you

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:popeye:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My first thought was that it would all be binary option memes a la Virgin vs Chad, Pooh vs Fancy Pooh, hotline bling Drake etc.

I can only assume this has already been made by someone.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPdp8o_ujg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/DailyTF2Memes/status/1456579640366182400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n