Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Weirdes thanksgiving tradition was the ’Now eat this entire unpeeled orange, or you will never be a part of this family’ from the last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

axolotl farmer posted:

Weirdes thanksgiving tradition was the ’Now eat this entire unpeeled orange, or you will never be a part of this family’ from the last thread.

Is this a hazing ritual?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

value-brand cereal posted:

You know who had a great reason to never eat food prepared by and at her mother in law's place? The lady who asked if she was the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to eat food that constantly had the MIL's hair in it. Such as a loaf of pound cake with hair threaded through it. Also it was revealed the MIL keeps her hair brush in the kitchen. Idk I just remembered that grossness and wanted to share 😁

Imagine that, but a joint instead.
yeah, thats why I'm always doing the rolling if my neighbor wants to come down and smoke a few.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Professor Wayne posted:

hot dog to microwave
Excuse me, what??

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

PancakeTransmission posted:

Excuse me, what??

Do you eat them cold or warm them in the kettle or coffee machine, or what?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is this a hazing ritual?

Yes.

AITA for refusing to participate in my bf’s family’s bizarre orange tradition?

quote:

My bf and I have been together a while now but I hadn’t met his family until a week ago when they invited us to stay at their house. I was very excited to meet his parents for the first time and they were super sweet when I got there. Both of them are lovey people and we all got along well.

They gave us free rein to do whatever but the one thing they insisted on was that we join them for their tradition of eating oranges as a family on Saturday mornings. They grow their own oranges and have been doing this since my bf was a kid so he was especially thrilled to share the tradition with me as a “rite of passage”.

So the morning came and his mom brought in some fresh oranges from the garden. We sat at the table and I was getting ready to peel my orange when I saw my bf’s mom BITE into her orange like it was an apple!!!With the peel still on!!! I was so stunned when I saw my bf and his dad do the same thing with their oranges, as if it were totally normal.

I guess they noticed my shock because they asked me why I wasn’t eating. So I started to peel my orange but then his mom told me to stop, that I was eating it wrong and had to bite into it with the skin to “get the full experience”. I politely told her that I like to peel my oranges and I’m sure they taste just as great either way but she kept insisting that I had to bite into my orange for tradition.

After saying multiple times that I’d rather peel it and the family (including bf) pushing back, I put the orange back on the table and said though I appreciate the gesture, I personally feel uncomfortable eating oranges that way and I’d rather not participate.

Things were tense after that and we left the next day. When we got home, my bf chewed me out for being rude and embarrassing him and his family. He said I should’ve just eaten the orange “the right way” since his parents were gracious to let me stay with them. I can see his point and I apologized for causing any hurt (I really do like his family and think they’re great people) but stand by my decision to opt out of the orange tradition.

He feels I could’ve compromised and I feel that I should be able to eat things how I want. It’s a silly squabble in the grand scheme of things but my bf and I are really at odds about who’s in the wrong and would love an outside opinion.

EDIT: Some people have been asking what kind of oranges/whether they’re actually oranges. All I can say is that I was told they were oranges and they looked like typical oranges with thick skin. Here’s a photo of the trees in their backyard from a few years back, for anyone who wants to see for themselves.

EDIT 2: Lots of frequently asked questions so I’ll just answer them here.

No, they don’t just bite into it once to make it easier to peel. They don’t peel the oranges at all. They eat the whole thing - fruit, skin, and pith - like one would eat an apple. Yes it is messy. Yes the skin is thick.

The tradition involves eating the entire orange like that, not just a bite. I do recognize that I could’ve surrendered a bite to keep the peace, however.

This is the first time I’ve seen my bf eat an orange. He never ate them with me as he would say that nothing compares to his parents’ oranges. He has seen me, our friends, and people in TV shows/movies eat peeled oranges. I assume the same goes for his parents. My bf has never commented before on the common peeling technique.

His parents do this EVERY Saturday. I am not sure how they eat their oranges on other days, but I imagine it’s the same. The whole family is expected to participate every Saturday when at the parents’ house, but I don’t have to do it in my own home.

The reason I didn’t try one bite is mostly because I was caught so off guard since all my bf told me was that we were going to eat oranges. He didn’t let me know about the method in advance so I panicked. That and the insistence that I eat the ENTIRE fruit the way they wanted me to turned me off of trying it. I might be open to trying it in the future.

I think that covers it! Thanks for the comments, I’ll definitely share with my boyfriend.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yes.

This is amazing.

I had a friend in school who would always eat the entire peanut, shell and all. He'd insist I was 'wasting the good part' when I chucked the shells and he would actually eat my discarded shells. Apparently his whole family did this and it was Very Normal. Even he had the awareness to know it was weird and unusual and didn't encourage other people to do it, probably because he wanted to eat their shells.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

soon to be followed by "AITA for dumping my idiot bf due to his wierd family"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

This is amazing.

I had a friend in school who would always eat the entire peanut, shell and all. He'd insist I was 'wasting the good part' when I chucked the shells and he would actually eat my discarded shells. Apparently his whole family did this and it was Very Normal. Even he had the awareness to know it was weird and unusual and didn't encourage other people to do it, probably because he wanted to eat their shells.

I eat salted peanuts shell on and yes I am 100% aware it is weird but I won't ever stop.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Invisible Clergy posted:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

drat what did that guy think of like, Logan's Roadhouse where the floors were absolutely covered in discarded shells

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's just being hardcore.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Desert Bus posted:

I eat salted peanuts shell on and yes I am 100% aware it is weird but I won't ever stop.

I like to peel potatoes and eat them raw. Everyone I have ever told has recoiled in horror.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like to peel potatoes and eat them raw. Everyone I have ever told has recoiled in horror.

I know raw potatoes contain solanine? I think it is? But you're making me want to try at least a bite from one now. Is this how I die? From eating a raw potato because another Goon said it was good?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Invisible Clergy posted:

Up until seeing this post a few minutes ago, I sincerely didn't know that I find the idea of microwaved sausages grossly offensive. And I've had a fair few foul bachelor years.

Put them in boiling water on the stovetop, like a normal person.

Fake edit: Then again, I'm happy to be explained that American hotdogs can't be boiled because of either HFCS or the water over there having a lower boiling point that is not sufficient to make subprime meat products safe to eat.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My wife’s family eat the whole shrimp. Tail, shell, eyes, whiskers, the works. Sitting there crunching it up like a little raccoon or something. First time I ate tiger prawns in front of them they acted like I was crazy for not eating the whole thing, and argued over what was left.

An old acquaintance used to eat pistachios with the shell on, until one went through the roof of his mouth, got infected, and he ended up on a liquid diet for three weeks. Eat things properly!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Sanford posted:

My wife’s family eat the whole shrimp. Tail, shell, eyes, whiskers, the works. Sitting there crunching it up like a little raccoon or something. First time I ate tiger prawns in front of them they acted like I was crazy for not eating the whole thing, and argued over what was left.

An old acquaintance used to eat pistachios with the shell on, until one went through the roof of his mouth, got infected, and he ended up on a liquid diet for three weeks. Eat things properly!

Shrimp tails are crispy and delicious. Eating the loving shell? What.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Desert Bus posted:

I know raw potatoes contain solanine? I think it is? But you're making me want to try at least a bite from one now. Is this how I die? From eating a raw potato because another Goon said it was good?

I never said it was good! My mother used to make homemade french fries when I was young and would let the uncooked fries soak in salt water before frying them. I started sneaking some of those and eventually just moved up to straight up eating a raw potato every now and then. My wife and one of my best friends both tried and they couldn't make it past sinking their teeth into one.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

I never said it was good! My mother used to make homemade french fries when I was young and would let the uncooked fries soak in salt water before frying them. I started sneaking some of those and eventually just moved up to straight up eating a raw potato every now and then. My wife and one of my best friends both tried and they couldn't make it past sinking their teeth into one.

So far I have admitted to eating peanut shells and shrimp tails so my idea of "edible" and "good" may not vibe with what other people think. You keep eating raw potato so you either enjoy it and think it is good or you are addicted to the poison and can't stop.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

I know raw potatoes contain solanine?

That's potatoes that have turned green from exposure to light.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

That's potatoes that have turned green from exposure to light.

I thought the green was from being exposed to light and making more sugar but apparently you are correct and it also ups the Tropane alkaloids. I learned something new today, thanks!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The last few pages remind me that every year around this time I am grateful we don't have loving thanksgiving here.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

a podcast for cats posted:

Up until seeing this post a few minutes ago, I sincerely didn't know that I find the idea of microwaved sausages grossly offensive. And I've had a fair few foul bachelor years.

Fake edit: Then again, I'm happy to be explained that American hotdogs can't be boiled because of either HFCS or the water over there having a lower boiling point that is not sufficient to make subprime meat products safe to eat.

I’m not taking ten+ drat minutes to boil a hotdog when I can just throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it’ll come out just as good. If for some reason I want to cook them proper then I throw them in a frying pan. Boiling hotdogs is the worst option by far

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, boiling is just gross.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The mom isn't being disrespectful, the son seems to be trying to shield his baby chicky nuggy girlfriend from being ridiculed by his family for her actually ridiculous need to bring a solo meal to a dinner party for the sole reason of being tired of having traditional Thanksgiving food on Thanksgiving?

So I think what makes this slightly worse is it seems she's bringing a full meal for everyone, not just for her. Like the OP said it would be different if it had been some sides or whatever but it was a whole other thanksgiving meal. Which I would expect she is thinking people will share. Unless I've misread that in what he's saying.

Even if it is just for her it's weird and she shouldn't go.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 26, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aramoro posted:

So I think what makes this slightly worse is it seems she's bringing a full meal for everyone, not just for her. Like the OP said it would be different if it had been some sides or whatever but it was a whole other thanksgiving meal. Which I would expect she is thinking people will share. Unless I've misread that in what he's saying.

I think you misread it, she just wants to bring a meal for herself.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think you misread it, she just wants to bring a meal for herself.

I think you might be right there, I read adding a new flavour for thanksgiving as adding something new for everyone. Like i would never bring food to someone else's house that wasn't for everyone so I projected my own thoughts onto that.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

His Divine Shadow posted:

The last few pages remind me that every year around this time I am grateful we don't have loving thanksgiving here.
Yeah it's like some kind of weird version of Valentine's day that people freak out about being single/alone for the day, along with a lot of weird eating rituals. I'm seeing a lot of memes online about being forced to eat terrible green bean casseroles and dealing with people you hate???

If you hate your family just don't go!!

Ziv Zulander posted:

I’m not taking ten+ drat minutes to boil a hotdog when I can just throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it’ll come out just as good. If for some reason I want to cook them proper then I throw them in a frying pan. Boiling hotdogs is the worst option by far
According to my scientific research (googling "best way to cook a hot dog"), some sites say that microwaving is the worst due to uneven cooking and chance of bursting it. Of course some say that boiling is bad/gross - but I'm not talking about boiling 100 hot dogs all day in a food truck/cart - just enough to eat right now. But guess what? I also put ketchup (tomato sauce) on my hot dog :colbert:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Ziv Zulander posted:

This, in turn, made me wonder how the original goon who pooped in their socks in order to not to waste valuable WoW time defended their decision.

Anyway, I'm willing to concede that we're probably talking about slightly different types of sausage and boiling might be more accurately defined as poaching.

Putting any type of hotdog like object in cold water and bringing it to a boil is bad, we can agree with that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Tony Abbott vs raw unpeeled onion

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Hot dogs are by definition precooked, so are safe to eat at any temperature. They are often warmed to make eating them more pleasant. Personally I will spiral cut and grill them or if I can't use a grill for whatever reason pan fry them to get a bit of a texture on there.

While like all American food, hot dogs are full of HFCS, there is nothing that makes the water unsafe.

Even if you are Mount McKinley, the highest point in the US, water boils at 175f. Boiling the hot dogs is only warming them. They are already cooked, so if the water is warm at all, it's fine.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

This is amazing.

Was your friend a goat?

PancakeTransmission posted:

According to my scientific research (googling "best way to cook a hot dog"), some sites say that microwaving is the worst due to uneven cooking and chance of bursting it. Of course some say that boiling is bad/gross - but I'm not talking about boiling 100 hot dogs all day in a food truck/cart - just enough to eat right now. But guess what? I also put ketchup (tomato sauce) on my hot dog :colbert:

If you microwave a hot dog, poke it with a fork or knife so the steam can escape, like a baked potato, how hard is this. Microwaving is gross though because they'll always be cold in the middle, like boiling.

Hot dog carts are filled with lukewarm water to keep the dogs warm, it's not boiling in order to cook them.

This, in turn, made me wonder how the original goon who pooped in their socks in order to not to waste valuable WoW time defended their decision.

Anyway, I'm willing to concede that we're probably talking about slightly different types of sausage and boiling might be more accurately defined as poaching.

Putting any type of hotdog like object in cold water and bringing it to a boil is bad, we can agree with that.

I think you are talking about sausages such as bratwursts.

Boiled meat = bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

coronatae posted:

drat what did that guy think of like, Logan's Roadhouse where the floors were absolutely covered in discarded shells

Potential aflatoxin nightmare.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That friends, is why I bake my hot dogs

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Someone really needs to bring Cumberland sausage to America.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah, but then you have eisaa peitää lämminmakkara which is so much worse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Hot dog carts are filled with lukewarm water to keep the dogs warm, it's not boiling in order to cook them.

Please tell me that by 'lukewarm' you mean ~65c, not 37c.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Tony Abbott vs raw unpeeled onion

i actually tried this once as a joke and it turned out to be pretty tasty

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

axolotl farmer posted:

Yeah, but then you have eisaa peitää lämminmakkara which is so much worse.

Huh? They are covered, with cheese.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Barudak posted:

Sous vide them....

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Barudak posted:

I heat mine to an normal human internal body temperature of 98.1f by sticking them up my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Batterypowered7 posted:

they're missing out, because yummo

i always set a tater aside when I'm peeling a bunch so I can snack on it