Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
That was it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

THE BAR posted:

Hardwar.

"The Martian Serviette"!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I thought it would have a simple title, but I didn't think it would be that straight-forward. But yes, it was Trucks. Thank you.

Wow, 1997, eh? I think whoever made that video had trouble setting the game up, because I don't remember the performance being that bad. I didn't know how accurate me saying "early 3D" was tho, it looks really rough.

Edit: I'm glad I made the previous post instead of my usual method of searching at Mobygames. It doesn't even seem to have a page on there. This game must have been more obscure than I originally thought.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 26, 2021

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

That last post reminded me of a game that I can only define as "Freelancer in Mars(or some other planet, idk)". You drove a small customizable flying taxi/ship, doing mercenary work for several corporations. The world felt pretty alive (or at least it did to my 13 year old self), and there would be skirmishes between other taxi drivers as you went about your business.

The world was industrial, low poly and very, very brown.

1990-ish?

That's Hardwar and while the company that made it imploded 20 years ago, one of the developers is still releasing unofficial patches for it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

kaschei posted:

I hope this is close enough to a game:

A cartridge for the Atari 2600 that let you do some kind of programmable drawing. Not any of the Basics and I don't think it was delta draw. I recall that either it came with a demo or had a manual with code you could type in (AFAIK there was no way to save programs) to create the deforming, color-changing triangles that would later become a popular Screensaver in windows 3.1

What was this cartridge? What language did it let you use to describe the drawing?

Was it Logo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Logo

Logo was a very popular drawing language in the 80s that you could find on just about every computer system out there back then.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_graphics

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Gromit posted:

Was it Logo?

Logo was a very popular drawing language in the 80s that you could find on just about every computer system out there back then.

God, I spent about twenty minutes trying to think of this before.

I was thinking Lotus? no... Locus? no... gah!!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ToxicFrog posted:

That's Hardwar and while the company that made it imploded 20 years ago, one of the developers is still releasing unofficial patches for it.

I love Hardwar so much. Exploiting the physics to send some poor sap into a tunnel bouncing frenzy is one of my favourite things to do. :allears:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gromit posted:

Was it Logo?

It wasn’t released on the 2600 though, so not sure it’s that or just the poster misremembering the platform

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ymgve posted:

It wasn’t released on the 2600 though, so not sure it’s that or just the poster misremembering the platform

I just assumed that a). no-one in their right mind would want to draw on a 2600 so a drawing program probably never existed, and b). someone's memory for a machine from 30-40 years ago is misremembering an 8-bit Atari computer that used cartridges that look exactly like those for a 2600.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It was in fact an Atari XEGS, with a keyboard and light gun. But it was compatible with my parents' old games and they I guess kept calling it a 2600, hardly surprising given that they called every subsequent console a "Nintendo."

I think it was LOGO! The manual sure didn't ring any bells but "Introduction to Programming Through Turtle Graphics" has at least the kind of examples I remember.

Thanks!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the XGS/65XE wasn't a very good computer, but as a computer it was light years ahead of the 2600 (proud former 600xl owner here) so it would have had some kind of primitive LOGO like implementation.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I'm surprised to learn that the 2600 actually had a BASIC cart, seems kinda insane when you consider that the 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ymgve posted:

I'm surprised to learn that the 2600 actually had a BASIC cart, seems kinda insane when you consider that the 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM

For anyone interested in programming language implementations, I found this blog post about the cart. The thing is hilariously useless for any practical application, but it has some wild features and ideas in there. My favorite is that IF is an expression that has the evaluated value of whichever branch was chosen. Like the blogger, I don't think I've seen that feature in any other imperative language.

It'd be real useful as well, you could for example clamp a value with a readable and clean line like this:

code:
LET clamped = IF clamped < min THEN min ELSE IF clamped > max THEN max ELSE clamped;

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

That's all you'll ever need, really

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

StoryTime posted:

My favorite is that IF is an expression that has the evaluated value of whichever branch was chosen. Like the blogger, I don't think I've seen that feature in any other imperative language.

I never know the definition of imperative, but Ruby does this, it’s a great scripting language. Everything has a meaningful return value. It also has nice syntactic sugar like ||= (meaning OR EQUALS) to set default values.

It has some lineage going back to basic, I think.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Windows 95/98 era PC game. I think it was called 'Crazy Cards' or something generically unsearchable like that?
It was a collection of playing card games, where you played against a cartoon dog, parrot, and probably other animals. I remember it being fairly well animated and fully voice acted.
There was a klondike solitaire where if you tried to make an invalid move the parrot would say "You can't do that!"
I think the main menu was all of them sitting around a card table.
No idea if the target audience was children but I only have vague memories because I was indeed a child.
Might have been shareware?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 28, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StoryTime posted:

My favorite is that IF is an expression that has the evaluated value of whichever branch was chosen. Like the blogger, I don't think I've seen that feature in any other imperative language.

This is the ?: operator in most C-likes.

clamped = (clamped < min) ? min : ((clamped > max) ? max : clamped)

The extra parens aren't strictly required, I'm pretty sure, but I don't like to assume I correctly remember the order of evaluation.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Windows 95/98 era PC game. I think it was called 'Crazy Cards' or something generically unsearchable like that?
It was a collection of playing card games, where you played against a cartoon dog, parrot, and probably other animals. I remember it being fairly well animated and fully voice acted.
There was a klondike solitaire where if you tried to make an invalid move the parrot would say "You can't do that!"
I think the main menu was all of them sitting around a card table.
No idea if the target audience was children but I only have vague memories because I was indeed a child.
Might have been shareware?

I think its Corel Wild Cards?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Holy poo poo, yes it is, thank you!!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Trying to remember the name of a game I remember seeing in a magazine in the late 90s. Premise was (I think) about a space ship/station that was going to blow up. Stands out in my memory that the crew and the ship were freely interactable with. It was 3D so not a traditional point and click.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sounds like it's probably https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hank Morgan posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game I remember seeing in a magazine in the late 90s. Premise was (I think) about a space ship/station that was going to blow up. Stands out in my memory that the crew and the ship were freely interactable with. It was 3D so not a traditional point and click.

Maybe Space Station: Silicon Valley for the N64?

For some reason I doubt this is it but, amusingly, it does fit all your requirements

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps Sentient?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2BfYFVQWQYc_igiW4H2h-N

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

I think this is it. thanks

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

ymgve posted:

i had a 400, which had basic on a cartridge, then an 800xl, which had basic ONBOARD :wotwot:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hank Morgan posted:

I think this is it. thanks

you're...welcome? it seems kind of awful but that LP i linked is entertaining. certainly a game that had some IDEAS, anyway.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

JPrime posted:

i had a 400, which had basic on a cartridge, then an 800xl, which had basic ONBOARD :wotwot:

The 400 had 8 kbytes of RAM though, that’s a lot compared to the 2600.

This reply is too large to fit in the 2600’s RAM

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Here's one that's got me stumped.

What the heck is the game that the shirtless guy is staring at?

EDIT: Space Invaders Kamikaze, a Japanese cabinet, with Galaxian Part 4 running on it.

delfin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 21, 2021

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man feel like I should know that one, like I recognize that four wing design from somewhere. Is that Japanese chars in the middle of the header title?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Scaramouche posted:

Man feel like I should know that one, like I recognize that four wing design from somewhere. Is that Japanese chars in the middle of the header title?

100% sure it's in the Galaga, galaxian, gaplus etc series

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

delfin posted:

Here's one that's got me stumped.

What the heck is the game that the shirtless guy is staring at?

I saw this on reddit earlier and I've been trying to figure it out all evening

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The logo looks like Eagle (A 1980 knockoff of Moon Cresta).

The game next to it looks like Asteroids, which would fit the time period.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Found a slightly clearer version of the image, I think

http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/arcade61111ty.jpg

I think the last word of the game title might be GATE, but I haven't found any arcade games with that in the title and matching logos

edit: Actually, I think the bottom word is KAMIKAZE, which is the name of a bootleg Galaxian game. Haven't found any pictures of the cabinet that match, though.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 21, 2021

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
So this is going to sound like some sort of bizarre fever dream but I think it was actually a thing. Sometimes in the mid to late nineties, a much younger me saw what I assume was an ad playing on a TV in the window of a computer store, where some early-CGI guy with a pike sort of lined the pike up with his back and hopped backwards onto it, impaling himself through the back and dying, and then the camera panned out and there were a whole bunch of other similarly impaled people around him. Anyone got any idea what the hell this might have been about? It's been living rent-free in my psyche ever since. I figure it was probably an ad for a game but I suppose it could have been a bizarre 3d graphics tech demo.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I may have gotten this completely mixed up somehow, but a few years ago an acquaintance had a playlist of old 8- and 16bit video game tracks, and one of then uncannily reminded me of a piece of music from A Chinese Ghost Story 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRLLdwyR8zA

Any chance this reminds someone of a game from the early 90s?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Tehan posted:

So this is going to sound like some sort of bizarre fever dream but I think it was actually a thing. Sometimes in the mid to late nineties, a much younger me saw what I assume was an ad playing on a TV in the window of a computer store, where some early-CGI guy with a pike sort of lined the pike up with his back and hopped backwards onto it, impaling himself through the back and dying, and then the camera panned out and there were a whole bunch of other similarly impaled people around him. Anyone got any idea what the hell this might have been about? It's been living rent-free in my psyche ever since. I figure it was probably an ad for a game but I suppose it could have been a bizarre 3d graphics tech demo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler

Castlevania maybe?

EDIT: Also the thing on that machine looks to me like a green moth but I can't find anything that old with moth in the title.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 21, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Found it!

Here's a sales listing with more pictures https://www.sbazar.cz/magicarcade/detail/120537641-zabavni-herni-hraci-automat-ggi-space-invader

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tehan posted:

Reminds me of the intro to Blood Omen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO2m38uayYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm trying to remember a game from the 90s or early 00s, console, probably an RPG, that had Kraken mis-translated as either "Clarken" or "Klarken".