Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Congratulations everyone you just designed Ori and the Will of the Wisp, great job, break for lunch.

The AM2R guy? Well, level designer at any rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No more morph ball, speed booster, grapple beam etc etc - I want a completely new suite of upgrades next time.

That got us weapon degradation in BotW. And it owned.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No more speed booster

Let's not say crazy things. I'm fine with new upgrades but speed booster (ESPECIALLY with how great it is in Dread) should be a mainstay.

tuo posted:

That got us weapon degradation in BotW. And it owned.

The closest thing we've had to that in Metroid is the limited beam ammo in Echoes...which most people hated cause they either didn't read or forgot the tutorial tip that says how to properly keep said ammo stocked up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want Metroid Pinball

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TaurusOxford posted:

Let's not say crazy things. I'm fine with new upgrades but speed booster (ESPECIALLY with how great it is in Dread) should be a mainstay.

The closest thing we've had to that in Metroid is the limited beam ammo in Echoes...which most people hated cause they either didn't read or forgot the tutorial tip that says how to properly keep said ammo stocked up.

Use the dark beam to get light beam and the light beam to get dark beam was useless advice when you only had the dark beam and next to no ammo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

Speed Booster that can actually be reasonably used to, y'know, speed up traversal and back-tracking instead of being used solely for puzzling would be neat. Something like what the Castlevanias hand you at the end with their Black Panther / Accelerator souls

edit: this was sort of kinda a thing in a few places at least in earlier Metroids, but the level design / speed booster changes in Dread did away with that almost entirely

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Well, to be fair, any kind of large area where Speed Booster would speed up travel times would probably be condemned for being un-interesting. We had teleporters in Dread. The only issue is that load times were too long. If Fast Travel was actually, you know, fast, no one would complain.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The EMMI zone where you get the speed booster has the basic idea of a space you can move through quickly with speed booster but until you get the speed booster there are barriers that force you to traverse a more "interesting" route. Every EMMI zone becomes much easier to traverse when all the shutters open (and the EMMI being gone helps too). Other places have essentially a small maze where you get to the center, break a wall, and now you can pass quickly through, they just don't require or really reward using shinespark.

There are several places it's worth building a shinespark to move vertically, even after you get space jump, it's just not obvious as you're getting there that that's what you're going to want to do.

If your backtracking is of the "trying to find a way to X" variety you are not going to be moving at top speed, you're going to be looking for natural hidden block locations and exits you may have missed.

Flash shift is really cool looking and speeds up most of the uninteresting parts of backtracking without needing seconds of preparation to use.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2021

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finished up my second run of Dread on hard with a 4:10 igt. This game’s still loving amazing, and I only hit up two major sequence breaks (early grapple+bombs and early gravity). I will definitely be back for more on this cause I find the combat loop and dodging the EMMIs so satisfying, on top of just how fun it is just to use Samus’ kit and movement to get around.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I just got to the end of this thread and I'm getting near the end of the game (just got to Hanubia), though I saw a playthrough before I even got it. Having a good time and did two minor sequence breaks, one of them somewhat by accident (Early Cross Bombs, after trying to get the missile upgrade, and then screw attack before experiment). Been having a great time so far, though experiment's flappy bird attack was the first time I've had a problem with space jump since Yakuza in Fusion.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ikanreed posted:

Use the dark beam to get light beam and the light beam to get dark beam was useless advice when you only had the dark beam and next to no ammo

There's like 10 minutes of gameplay between getting the dark beam and light beam and maybe 8 of those minutes are in the dark world where dark beam is worthless.

I agree that there was a design flaw to the ammo system. The impulse for hoarding ammo until you 'really need it' is the same impulse to hoard 1 time use items in RPGs until you 'really need' them. Too many people fall into this trap and find MP2 tedious because plinking away at enemies with the power beam is a chore. Ideally, the power beam should basically never be used unless you're using a super missile or out of ammo. And the game does flow really well that way and shits out all the ammo you need since you recover light/dark beam ammo as you use it. The power beam is a trap, and the game could have done more to discourage people from playing boringly yet 'safely'. Imo you gotta give the player the 2 new beams within like the first hour, around when you get the energy controller. Don't want people growing too used to or comfortable with the power beam, and the light/dark stuff is the central conceit of the game and all.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jesus Christ gently caress the purple EMMI.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ogmius815 posted:

Jesus Christ gently caress the purple EMMI.

Somebody didn't get early Gravity Suit. :v:

Edit:

HenryEx posted:

Speed Booster that can actually be reasonably used to, y'know, speed up traversal and back-tracking instead of being used solely for puzzling would be neat.

edit: this was sort of kinda a thing in a few places at least in earlier Metroids, but the level design / speed booster changes in Dread did away with that almost entirely

I wouldn't say Dread did away with that entirely. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqdXAyBbBIw

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 25, 2021

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I did say almost

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

A Bag of Milk posted:

There's like 10 minutes of gameplay between getting the dark beam and light beam and maybe 8 of those minutes are in the dark world where dark beam is worthless.

I agree that there was a design flaw to the ammo system. The impulse for hoarding ammo until you 'really need it' is the same impulse to hoard 1 time use items in RPGs until you 'really need' them. Too many people fall into this trap and find MP2 tedious because plinking away at enemies with the power beam is a chore. Ideally, the power beam should basically never be used unless you're using a super missile or out of ammo. And the game does flow really well that way and shits out all the ammo you need since you recover light/dark beam ammo as you use it. The power beam is a trap, and the game could have done more to discourage people from playing boringly yet 'safely'. Imo you gotta give the player the 2 new beams within like the first hour, around when you get the energy controller. Don't want people growing too used to or comfortable with the power beam, and the light/dark stuff is the central conceit of the game and all.

Yeah I played the Prime Trilogy for the first time earlier this month (well, I've played 1 before) and Prime 2 ended up being my favorite of the lot. Never had a single problem with ammo the entire game and used the beams frequently. Environments were boring but the level design/layouts were just fantastic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yeah, blowing up one set of boxes with the dark beam basically refills the light beam and vice-versa.

One thing that might have had a hand in people making bad assumptions, assuming they were widespread, (I didn't have any trouble, but I also kept the SCAR all the way to the alien spaceship in the first Crysis, so I'm basically LCPL Brode here) was how enemies tended to mostly be of the same type in an area. If didn't use your alternate on scenery objects, the native refills mean you'll be getting refills for the gun you don't need, and not much for the weapon you do need, making for bad impressions of how ammo flows.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Echoes is magical. The thinking man's Metroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xqw2w6hPC4

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Maybe once the Steam Deck comes out I can finish MP2. I got to Sanctuary Fortress the last time then got busy for like ten years.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Only speaking for myself here but the dark beam (and the ice beam in mp1) feels terrible to use. The jumpy enemies, like space pirates or whatever, Its drat near impossible to hit for me because of how slow moving the shots are. I would generally rather just use the power beam or wave beam

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Only speaking for myself here but the dark beam (and the ice beam in mp1) feels terrible to use. The jumpy enemies, like space pirates or whatever, Its drat near impossible to hit for me because of how slow moving the shots are. I would generally rather just use the power beam or wave beam

The big advantage of the Ice Beam in Prime 1 is being able to shatter any enemy that could be frozen with a Missile right after, which made the Ice Pirates a complete joke compared to their other type cousins, as well as its Ice Spreader combo one shotting Metroid Prime’s ice form. Dark Beam doesn’t really have a lot going for it in that regard by comparison.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Can we talk about how good the gravity suit looks? I feel like people aren't talking about it enough.

The cool sinewy bits between the armor: neat.
The irredescant purple with bits of magenta: stunning.
The zig-zag green lights down the side: bad-rear end.

I'm indifferent to the shoulder pads, but everything else is so great that it doesn't matter. I found myself just staring at the suit during the loading time-masking cutscenes between areas. Because I'm one of those cool sex-having gamers, I've never been into collecting figures, but I really want a good action figure of this gravity suit. Best looking suit design in a Metroid game to date (followed by the light suit, fusion suit, classic varia suit, and end-of-game spoiler suit in no particular order.)

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
you can still freeze and shatter things with a charged dark beam shot and it was the only way to kill pirate commandos in a reasonable amount of time in my experience

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just got my first sub-4 IGT in hard mode. No skips, just intended route. And I probably died less than a hundred times! :toot:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Yeah the regular shots from the ice beam/dark beam were slow and useless but the charged shots froze enemies and let you blow them up very efficiently. Used that a lot

Fish Appreciator posted:

Can we talk about how good the gravity suit looks? Best looking suit design in a Metroid game to date (followed by the light suit, fusion suit, classic varia suit, and end-of-game spoiler suit in no particular order.)

Honestly mostly agree. This is definitely the best Gravity suit in the series. I liked the changes to the shouldpads too. I hated the Final suit in Dread though, makes her look like a dumb crustacean. Crab suit.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 27, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe it's just the novelty of the designs, but I think the Dread suits are some of the best in the series, up there with the Light Suit and the Hazard Shield.

Edit: And MP3 Dark Samus, if she counts.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 27, 2021

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

For me the best suit design in the series is Samus Returns’ Gravity Suit, which added the Tron lines and black spines to the design which really made the whole suit pop.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I LOVED the Dread suits. My first playthrough it kind of hit me that it almost looked like it was trying to represent the zero suit a bit, and you slowly got armor back in place as you got stronger. It was a really cool concept, if that was intentional. I wish Smash would have gotten the suit patched in as an alt color. But I know that isn't possible.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Best Samus design is definitely the Echoes Bone White Light Suit

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 27, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The white and gold of the Varia Suit in Dread is quite nice.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The United States posted:

Best Samus design is definitely the Echoes Bone White Light Suit

I want to say this as well, but drat, the Dread Gravity Suit puts up a strong fight in my head for top spot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do you think Samus’s armor is, like, warm to the touch or otherwise alive when she’s not wearing it? If you took a sample of it, would it have Samus & Metroid DNA? It seems like if you left it in a pile on the floor it would still be gently breathing and glowing even without her. The Dread designs being so organic really emphasize that impression for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
honestly i think that's my favorite metroid lore thing, the chozo just love their biotech

i'm not sure if it was mentioned in earlier games too but i still remember being kinda :stare: when fusion just casually mentions "the organic parts of the suit"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's not exactly mentioned but it's never been a secret that the suit is kinda part of samus and she can just make it appear on herself out of nothing at will (and it explodes off her when you die, remember? that's not like a literal explosion because it broke, that's her losing the ability to keep it on herself) so it would be weirder if there wasn't some biowizardry going on

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The X parasite can't copy machines, right? So the existence of the SA-X means the suit has to be biotech.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

girl dick energy posted:

The X parasite can't copy machines, right? So the existence of the SA-X means the suit has to be biotech.

That's always been the most "How the gently caress do you work?!" thing about the X, since they supposedly can't copy pure tech but were somehow able to DOWNLOAD Samus' Varia Suit upgrade from the Data Room in Fusion. :psyduck:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 27, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually *really* like the Tier 1 suit in Dread. I think it looks fantastic.

Dread is the first game I think had a solid design comparable to the Super design.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really like both the unique Echoes suits. The Light suit obviously has the hyper-refined & sleek sports car look but I'm a real big fan of the clunky industrial and nearly giegeresque design of the Dark suit still, it really does look like a piece of heavy machinery designed to survive in an inhospitable environment

e: all the Corruption designs can get in the bin though

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

girl dick energy posted:

I don't believe it's happened in game yet, but I don't think it's been outright ruled out either. So I'd file it under "if they decide it makes sense in the story/game, the x will copy machines".

The X also took control of the security robot on the BSL via it's organic components. I guess in this universe, with outright brain-in-a-jar computers, it's a given that most tech has an organic part to it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

multijoe posted:

I really like both the unique Echoes suits. The Light suit obviously has the hyper-refined & sleek sports car look but I'm a real big fan of the clunky industrial and nearly giegeresque design of the Dark suit still, it really does look like a piece of heavy machinery designed to survive in an inhospitable environment

e: all the Corruption designs can get in the bin though

the base ped suit looks dumb but I think the fully corrupted version looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Augus posted:

the base ped suit looks dumb but I think the fully corrupted version looks cool

Agreed, but I always wished that the final design for the corrupted PED Suit stuck closer to this concept art: