Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

stev posted:

I wonder what would happen if they have so many ties in a series that they run out of tiebreakers. Mud wrestling match?

I reckon it's already happened a few times, which sadly would mean that isn't the answer...

In series 1, the second tie-breaker is done in the studio, where Josh and Romesh had to guess Frank Skinner's age in minutes. My guess is that, being the first series, they only filmed one tie-break with the cast. Having used it in the first episode, they had to improvise a bit when another tie occurred.

There have been two other instances of tie-breaks being guessing games in the studio - in Series 10 the final episode had guessing the number of green eggs in a carton. This might fit the theory as there were two previous episodes with tie-breaks; maybe they tried others but they weren't usable or got repurposed. The weird one is series 7, where they had a "guess a number" tie-break in episode 2, Especially weird because they have a filmed tie-break in a later episode. Maybe they couldn't play back the footage to the audience, or perhaps for some reason the tie break wasn't usable with the particular combination of contestants they had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its rare to say for a series 12 seasons in that this may be the best one yet.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Morgana won because on the first task in the first episode, she called Alex a little fucker and got a bonus point. Perfect.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
If your answer to the earlier question "which task would you give to which former contestant?" was the drinking with your mouth open task to Tim Key or Mark Watson then I have a video that will make your day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5IrH9ew18&t=601s

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Guz lost because he was too nice to Alex :(

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Regarding tiebreaks and weird asymmetric tasks, I still wonder what was up in series 7, when Jessica, Kerry, and Rhod got the fez task, and James and Phil got the hula hooping task. "Admin error" is a running joke for a lot of this kind of weirdness, but I don't just don't get it. Was either of those a tie-break that got elevated to a main task, or was the footage of the contestants doing the other task unusable for some reason?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When they all had trouble drinking without closing their mouths, my wife turned to me and said, "are we just freaks?" Because I have been known to shock a hibachi table with my ability to glug sake like a duck when launched at my face by the chef.

But then Desiree did it. I started chanting USA! USA! USA! as she glugged, and I was happy to know that I'm not a freak - I'm just American.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Golbez posted:

When they all had trouble drinking without closing their mouths, my wife turned to me and said, "are we just freaks?" Because I have been known to shock a hibachi table with my ability to glug sake like a duck when launched at my face by the chef.

But then Desiree did it. I started chanting USA! USA! USA! as she glugged, and I was happy to know that I'm not a freak - I'm just American.

Yeah, I just drank half a mug of tea with my mouth open to confirm that I could. I swallowed a lot of air and my throat's a bit sore, but it only took me a few seconds to down it. I guess it's just something that's either really easy or really hard depending on whether you know how to seal the back of your throat with your tongue.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering now if they included it solely because it turned Desiree's line about not having a gag reflex in the proposal task into a funny callback

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If it was supposed to be a callback nobody actually commented on it. I think whoever said it was supposed to be a tiebreaker had it right. It was really straightforward and was probably expected to be simple to score.

Edit: It's also probably really hard to come up with interesting tasks after 12 seasons (plus a couple of specials). I feel like they've been wrecking their brains trying to come up with new ways of thinking about tasks.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 26, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

stev posted:

Yeah, it makes it even more of a shame that David Mitchell doesn't want to do it. Victoria's so similar to him in how she approaches things that I think his worries about being on the show are unfounded.
I reckon it's even less likely he'll do it now. Any itch he might have had has probably been satisfied vicariously by Victoria coming home and going "Guess what I had to do today!", and he probably looks at her final points score and thinks "That'll be me".

Morgana's win now makes it 7-7 across all series for men-v-women. It was 5-1 in favour of men following the Champions of Champions, since when it's been 2-6. Still no left-chair champion.

What do people think of the next lineup? I'm looking forward to Father Dougal McGuire. I have almost no knowledge of the rest – that's not necessarily a bad thing, TMNZ is proof of that.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Really looking forwarda to Ardal O'Hanlon and Sophie Duker, seems like an okay lineup.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Morgana is just perfect,the spell task was just amazing,when she rubbed her boobs and Alex looked like he was going to die.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Alan's monster noise nearly made me black out from laughing, I so wasn't ready.

I guess we get Champion of Champions sometime in the next month?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Champion of champions feels like something they'd do as a special over new year, like the one off special they did last year.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Alan’s monster noise was like something from a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was like a Beaker / Martian hybrid noise.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I absolutely adored this season, am also in love with Morgana, and am hurting from laughing so hard at that final task. It definitely felt like it flew by, even though I binge watched most of the previous seasons last year in a matter of days.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Re: the discussion a while ago about the team imbalance, I really liked the TMNZ team task where one of the team members had to secretly try to sabotage the team. It was only for a single task, but it was a cool idea I'd like to see Taskmaster original flavour try (other than Rhod just deciding to sabotage the team tasks randomly)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I assume C4's plan is to have a new year special mini series every year and CoC can take that slot this time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LesterGroans posted:

Re: the discussion a while ago about the team imbalance, I really liked the TMNZ team task where one of the team members had to secretly try to sabotage the team. It was only for a single task, but it was a cool idea I'd like to see Taskmaster original flavour try (other than Rhod just deciding to sabotage the team tasks randomly)

Hell they could do a whole season like that but have a different person sabotaging every time.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I assume C4's plan is to have a new year special mini series every year and CoC can take that slot this time.

If that's the case I wonder if CoC will be a one-off this time like the New Years special.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't stop picturing Ardal O'Hanlon doing tasks in character as Dougal. I know perfectly well he won't, and that's a good thing, but I also know this is almost certainly by design, and if anything it's setting me up for disappointment.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think Ed Gamble mentioned that the CoC will be sometime at the end of the year (so December, I guess). And that it will be only a single episode.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I have heard that there was a separate call for an audience to record a single episode of Taskmaster after the CoC episode was filmed. So we might even be getting two episodes over the festive period - the CoC and another new year's treat with a mayfly cast.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is Taskmaster pretty popular in the UK? I know they’ve had some celebs say no. But is it getting big enough where people are scrambling to be on it?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

I have heard that there was a separate call for an audience to record a single episode of Taskmaster after the CoC episode was filmed. So we might even be getting two episodes over the festive period - the CoC and another new year's treat with a mayfly cast.
The original CoC was two episodes. Perhaps We're getting two CoC and a 'celeb special' new year special.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They posted the final task on YouTube and I can't believed I missed this part when I first watched.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it was incredible from beginning to end but all of VCM's mind games absolutely failing was the highlight

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Victoria taking a 5 mile trip round the stage and stomping round was great.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

That final task was a succession of great silent reactions from the cast. Desiree's mute FUUUCK!!!!, Morgana cracking up in the background, and everyone's response to Alan's monster noise were terrific.

Great series overall. I think my favourite task from it was the Marco the Dog one, for the mix of imagination and cheating; or maybe Sports Commentary, for Victoria trying to understand what sport is.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I think I preferred last season. While I adored Morgana Robinson and Guz Khan I didn't have much joy with Victoria Coren Mitchell or Desiree Burch.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
But then again, you call yourself Joyless Jester.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Victoria was far less irritating than what i’ve seen of her in other shows,same for Guz.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It was a very solid cast. Morgana and Guz were all-timers and that was the most enjoyable I've ever found Victoria. Alan and Desiree weren't annoying and had a few standout funny moments throughout.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

VCM's gradual decline into "what is any of this seriously" was great. What made it art was when she thought she understood a task, but oh so didn't.
Her interpretation of "surprises" in the sports/commentary task was a delight.
Morgana was just the clearest winner in a while.
Gus was a revelation.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

VCM's gradual decline into "what is any of this seriously" was great. What made it art was when she thought she understood a task, but oh so didn't.
Her interpretation of "surprises" in the sports/commentary task was a delight.
Morgana was just the clearest winner in a while.
Gus was a revelation.

Victoria's reaction to the phone call task was pretty great as well. You can tell why she and David Mitchell got married.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Strongest cast in a few seasons imo, I enjoyed watching all of them at basically everything they did. Guz was the creme de la creme though, I actually went and watched Man Like Mobeen because I needed more Guz in my life.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Victoria is weird in a way that I don't think anybody on the show has been before.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Victoria was probably my favorite contestant this season. Just such a delight seeing someone who's head smart try to logic their way through the show and fail so spectacularly.

Gus is so drat charismatic, Alan's just having a toot, Morgana is throwing herself into everything, and Desiree finds everything absurd but still tackles them.

Overall not as good as S7 or NZS2, but definitely up among the best imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The norwegian Taskmaster does not gently caress around. The contestants was asked to bring something that would make the taskmaster uncomfortable and one of the contestants brought a screenshot of an instagram post with the picture of the taskmaster and the hashtag metoo.