Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah thanks thread. Very helpful advice!

e: oh noooo page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:toot:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VelociBacon posted:

Good snipe TBH :yotj:

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Congratulations to VelociBacon and Arquinsiel! :toot:

Also want to add to "thank you for the tips" pile! I received an offer, negotiated with my BATNA in mind, and signed a contract with a drat good salary. Might even be able to afford a whole week of vacation in 2022.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VelociBacon posted:

It would make me very happy if someone sniped every page this way. :honk:

Omne posted:

As a hiring manager, I try to bring the same level of energy to every interview I do.

As an interviewee....interviewing with someone who's low energy is so loving hard, and I have yet to master the ability to get through them with a positive view. Sure, it's probably that they've already interviewed who they really want, but still.
To piggyback on this comment: many hiring managers and almost all interviewers that aren't hiring managers are bad at interviewing. If you know you did well, but walk away feeling a lack of enthusiasm from the other side, it could very well just be that they're bad at interviewing.

An interview is a sales pitch as much as it is an evaluation of the candidate. Good hiring managers know this. Top talent is always scarce and in high demand.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 22, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Day in my life: today, had an interviewer reschedule for next week 5 minutes prior due to "technical issues." Separately, received two rejections.

Friends, family, this forum: keep on truckin!!
Reality: embrace the void of agony

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 22, 2021

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Any guidance on trying to nudge a hiring manager along when you're nearing the end of the process and fairly confident you'll get an offer?

I'm relocating and have interviewed with 2 orgs and it's looking very good for Org B and pretty good in my mind for Org A. Org A would be my preference, but I'd be quite happy with Org B as well. Org B have started to pick the pace up considerably and are checking references, while Org A is slowly moving along having missed a self-imposed deadline last week to get back to me with next steps (but did reach out to let me know they couldn't get it done).

Never had to deal with this before, but is it worth it to let Org A know that things are happening quickly now and they'll need to speed up? No offer yet from Org B - should I wait until I actually get an offer to let Org A know?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had success getting companies to speed up with an offer in-hand. Something like "I already have a reasonable offer from another company, but I don't want to accept because I'm still interested in your role. Please arrange an offer within this many days so I can make a decision."

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Yeah I would let them know. A recruiter I worked with would line up a bunch of interviews at once so he could use an offer with one to speed up the others.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Only do that if you're actually happy with the other offer, though. If it's more along the lines of you really want this job but you're just antsy and wish they'd hurry them up, you probably don't want to risk your "I have another offer so please get me yours ASAP" being met with "sorry we're just not that far in the process so we'll remove you from consideration, good luck!"

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Appreciate the advice and it all makes perfect sense. Think it might be best to wait to actually get the offer from Org B before reaching out to Org A.

I would be very happy with either offer so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if Org A pulled away after letting them know.

This is like the first time I've ever been properly desirable in the job market so I'm a bit out of my depth!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MagicCube posted:

Any guidance on trying to nudge a hiring manager along when you're nearing the end of the process and fairly confident you'll get an offer?

I'm relocating and have interviewed with 2 orgs and it's looking very good for Org B and pretty good in my mind for Org A. Org A would be my preference, but I'd be quite happy with Org B as well. Org B have started to pick the pace up considerably and are checking references, while Org A is slowly moving along having missed a self-imposed deadline last week to get back to me with next steps (but did reach out to let me know they couldn't get it done).

Never had to deal with this before, but is it worth it to let Org A know that things are happening quickly now and they'll need to speed up? No offer yet from Org B - should I wait until I actually get an offer to let Org A know?
Hiring processes are frustratingly slow and involve lots of bureaucracy. You get one e-mail as a candidate without sounding pushy, so use it wisely. Reaching out and expressing that you have an offer can help Org A's hiring manager push through the bureaucracy if you are polite and understanding. How you play it depends a lot on the vibe you're getting from both organizations, though. Use your best judgment and use the opportunity to figure out how your potential future bosses react under pressure; how they respond can tell you a lot about which job offer to take.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Edit: meant to post in negotiations thread.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I got a job offer, and in the provisional offer the only info I got was for their benefits, which I don’t need and are expensive as gently caress. Thinking of coming back to them requesting $2-3 more per hour, in the absence of benefits, but I’m not sure they pay for benefits at all?

I already had to send like five questions back about the offer like mandatory OT, shift expectations, PTO, etc.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

life is killing me posted:

I got a job offer, and in the provisional offer the only info I got was for their benefits, which I don’t need and are expensive as gently caress. Thinking of coming back to them requesting $2-3 more per hour, in the absence of benefits, but I’m not sure they pay for benefits at all?

I already had to send like five questions back about the offer like mandatory OT, shift expectations, PTO, etc.

You don’t need benefits during a pandemic?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

On his spouse's insurance, I presume. Small company, I also presume, OP?

It sounds like this company either has no idea what they're doing (are they super small?) or is shady. Either way I'd proceed with extreme caution and wouldn't feel bad in the slightest to walk away. That's based only on the little bit of info you provided though.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Well, the dud interview I had last week is fading from memory and I've secured an interview within a different division with my same employer.

The reason I'm wanting to leave my division is intense dysfunction and low morale. The employer is large enough that it's possible things are better ran in the other division. Is there a tactful way to inquire about their culture without trash talking the division I'm in now?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is an answer you're going to find irritatingly unhelpful, but, harsh truths: it doesn't matter because your boss will block you from ever transferring.

Nothing to lose from going to the interview I guess (unless your boss is the vindictive sort that will make you suffer for daring to try to get away). The direct answer to your question is pretty much no; even if there were a perfectly diplomatic way to phrase the question, there's no way to get that information from the people that will be interviewing you, they'll just lie.

Keep the pedal to the metal on seeking outside opportunities.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Well, the dud interview I had last week is fading from memory and I've secured an interview within a different division with my same employer.

The reason I'm wanting to leave my division is intense dysfunction and low morale. The employer is large enough that it's possible things are better ran in the other division. Is there a tactful way to inquire about their culture without trash talking the division I'm in now?

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is an answer you're going to find irritatingly unhelpful, but, harsh truths: it doesn't matter because your boss will block you from ever transferring.

Nothing to lose from going to the interview I guess (unless your boss is the vindictive sort that will make you suffer for daring to try to get away). The direct answer to your question is pretty much no; even if there were a perfectly diplomatic way to phrase the question, there's no way to get that information from the people that will be interviewing you, they'll just lie.

Blocking his transfer may or may not be true in Leon's case. To state it as a "hard truth" and not "something to be aware of and prepare for" is unhelpful and often untrue imo.

I also disagree you can't diplomatically ask about it. When you're doing an internal transfer you can usually be more candid (still don't trash talk and don't seem like you're leaving to avoid problems rather than to helping to solve them). Note that its a small world at many companies so expect your current boss to find out about other internal interviews. How to best deal with this kinda depends on the boss and your anticipated reaction. Engaging them earlier if theyre a good boss could be helpful.

Agree on continue seeking outside opportunities though.

I'd try to think of some specific questions that can help you glean the facts you want to know about this other team rather than asking an unspecific question and getting a canned answer.

EDIT: To Eric's point, an abusive, lovely boss is in the "you probably wont get internal positions" camp and he's probably right in that case. Same if your team is already understaffed for people in your position. The exception to this is if the new team is working on a newer must-win project/product and you're on a legacy project/product.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 26, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I mean, it's generally true that internal transfers (especially if it's not a promotion) are a bitch because they only happen if the prospective New Boss both (1) has more political capital than Current Boss and also (2) want you enough that he's willing to spend some of it on you, or (3) Current Boss is a rare magical creature that wants to help you develop and is happy to see you move on even though it's a giant pain in the rear end for them.

If we assume Current Boss is a shithead the odds drop to near zero in my experience. What I'm saying is that pulling off an internal transfer is so unlikely that investing much energy in pursuing it, rather than investing that energy in pursuing a new employer, is -EV. But sure, you got an interview and every interview is at minimum a very valuable opportunity to exercise your interviewing skills and hopefully impress someone, so, go for it. Just don't expect much.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Internal move are very common in every place I've ever worked. Sometimes they aren't the best career moves, sure, but I find it weird you find them so uncommon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I find it weird likewise! I have never worked at a massive international gigacorp though and I'm not a computer toucher so there might be pretty big differences there. But I know a lot of people who have gotten attempts at transferring away from a bad boss cockblocked by said bad boss.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

Blocking his transfer may or may not be true in Leon's case. To state it as a "hard truth" and not "something to be aware of and prepare for" is unhelpful and often untrue imo.

I also disagree you can't diplomatically ask about it. When you're doing an internal transfer you can usually be more candid (still don't trash talk and don't seem like you're leaving to avoid problems rather than to helping to solve them). Note that its a small world at many companies so expect your current boss to find out about other internal interviews. How to best deal with this kinda depends on the boss and your anticipated reaction. Engaging them earlier if theyre a good boss could be helpful.
I dunno. If you haven't social-engineered enough to figure out the culture of the internal transfer position before the interview, you probably aren't socially aware enough to get away with asking about it during the interview.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
FWIW I have worked at two #1s and one #3 by market cap in their industry and in all cases I saw frequent internal moves. For defense companies internal moves are the basis of continuity of employment. Programs staff up and down in a matter of weeks without ~*that*~ much firing or quitting on the larger multi-program sites.

I have also seen people get blocked for internal transfers and moves that result in promotions for reasons that were unfair in those same companies. Often those unfair circumstances results in a person leaving. At least once they happened in order to make that person leave.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

On his spouse's insurance, I presume. Small company, I also presume, OP?

It sounds like this company either has no idea what they're doing (are they super small?) or is shady. Either way I'd proceed with extreme caution and wouldn't feel bad in the slightest to walk away. That's based only on the little bit of info you provided though.

National company but yeah somewhat (relatively) small since aviation is a small world anyway, and they have more than one location all over the country. Same company with which I had a short interview last week and said they were sending an offer. I was dubious because some reviews said they were promised offers but never ended up getting one. Lots of reviews say the CEO is an idiot and an rear end in a top hat who has no idea how to run an airline and the management is apparently equally bad for the most part. So not sure if that means as a whole they have no idea what they are doing, or are shady.

I sent back a few questions about it, haven’t heard back yet but it’s a holiday weekend. I’m still willing to walk away, but also accepting the job isn’t off the table (I’d be going in with open eyes and just accepting it for what it is, which is a stepping stone for me to get some recent experience to use in another job application down the line). I went in too low on my expected pay and that’s what I got offered, lesson learned there. Mostly it’s just the only offer or even hint of interest I’ve heard from any company I’ve applied to other than LockMart, who is still “reviewing” my resume, and with whom I don’t expect to get a job offer so early on in my career change, and I need to start working.

But I am playing it fairly wisely I believe, I’m not jumping on the offer, trying to make sure it’s right for me from more than just the it’s a job perspective.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
how the hell do you put down a reference from your current job if your current job isn't aware that you're looking for new options? the best possible reference i can put down is my immediate boss, and in circumstances where he was aware that i was looking he'd be a stellar reference. but if i dont want him contacted, do i just not list anyone from my current position?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can instruct the company not to contact your current job. I have never had anyone actually ask for a reference that was an actual person, let alone contact them. Most places just want the phone number for HR to verify you work there. This is not terribly suspicious on it's own because places like banks will do this when they need to verify income.

If they really need to verify your current employment and cant contact the company in any way they'll typically ask for pay stubs and W2s.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don't ever give a prospective employer a W2 or a pay stub

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Very interesting.

Unsure if this changes things, but it's government work and the other job is in a completely different division of a large department with 15,000+ employees.

Civil service regulations mean my boss is not responsible for promotions, interviews, hiring, and I've never seen anyone fired in my 6 years. They firewall all personnel decisions away from management and into HR to avoid favoritism etc.

The other department is in a different city, so there's not a lot of communication between the two, as far as I know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well. Uh. Yeah. That changes everything.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't ever give a prospective employer a W2 or a pay stub

This is true. I should clarify that: you've accepted an offer and can/should redact any info other than names/addresses of yourself and the employer you're trying to prove employment with. I had to do this for my current job after they hosed up and told my new employer the date my my last paystub instead of my last employment date. My last paystub date way almost a year later after a bonus was paid out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Very interesting.

Unsure if this changes things, but it's government work and the other job is in a completely different division of a large department with 15,000+ employees.

Civil service regulations mean my boss is not responsible for promotions, interviews, hiring, and I've never seen anyone fired in my 6 years. They firewall all personnel decisions away from management and into HR to avoid favoritism etc.

The other department is in a different city, so there's not a lot of communication between the two, as far as I know.

Lmao

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I was in tech incident/problem management for 14 years before taking a 2 year hiatus. I was a mid-senior level, and am now looking to transition back in at the same, or solidly mid level.

Anyone in tech willing to give my resume a read through and provide feedback? HMU up in PMs please and thank you!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doom Rooster posted:

I was in tech incident/problem management for 14 years before taking a 2 year hiatus. I was a mid-senior level, and am now looking to transition back in at the same, or solidly mid level.

Anyone in tech willing to give my resume a read through and provide feedback? HMU up in PMs please and thank you!

Yeah you can PM me.

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010
If a third-party recruiter is asking for managerial references before I've even had an interview I should probably decline to provide that, right? We spoke over the phone and they had an actual job opportunity and are claiming that they need the references to validate my skills and experience but it seems kind of sketchy to ask for that so early in the process. They don't even have my resume or portfolio yet (it's a design position.) This is for a senior position, if that matters.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vogelspinne posted:

If a third-party recruiter is asking for managerial references before I've even had an interview I should probably decline to provide that, right? We spoke over the phone and they had an actual job opportunity and are claiming that they need the references to validate my skills and experience but it seems kind of sketchy to ask for that so early in the process. They don't even have my resume or portfolio yet (it's a design position.) This is for a senior position, if that matters.
Hella sketchy. Hold your ground unless you're desperate.

My cynical take is that they want to try to recruit your manager reference for the role.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Vogelspinne posted:

Are you in the US? If so, this is very strange. Don’t trust third party recruiters you don’t have a good relationship with already. 99% of outside recruiters are worthless.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Hella sketchy. Hold your ground unless you're desperate.

My cynical take is that they want to try to recruit your manager reference for the role.

Can't know if it's actually for that specific role but he definitely just wants the contact info of managers. :sever:

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Are you in the US? If so, this is very strange. Don’t trust third party recruiters you don’t have a good relationship with already. 99% of outside recruiters are worthless.

Yup in the US. Thanks for validating my suspicions y'all, I let them know I would not be able to provide that information this early in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I had a call with an outside recruiter yesterday who wore a hat during the call. Not like, backwards but fully pulled down so it looked like he was looking down the whole time.

At another company I’m interviewing with - after my first interview they sent me an invite for the second interview with the wrong persons name, and yesterday when scheduling my final interview they sent the wrong job description.

You all know I’m a payroll person but I spend a solid 10-15% of my week having to audit onboarding data because
A: The Business Partner didn’t look at the job description when posting a backfill so a role that should be Remote says Missouri office
And then
B: The Recruiter puts notes in - saying they’re working remotely from California
C: the onboarding team creates an offer letter with one of those two locations but the future employees address is in Arizona.

I’ve caught 31 instances of this since September, 3 where hourly people received salaried offer letters, 4 with start dates on holidays, and 11 where the job title doesn’t match the job description.

Basically - people are overworked as gently caress.