Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Flayer posted:

The best thing Pogba ever did was score a banger of a goal to put France 3-1 up vs Switzerland, go through about 5 separate goal celebration routines and then going on to make the error that gave the Swiss the chance to equalize in injury time. Also then losing on penalties

this checks out. also granit loving xhaka was MOTM in this match. who do you think let that happen?

EC10 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Andoman posted:

Oh please let it be so

https://twitter.com/berger_pj/status/1464177142141526019?s=20

Sorry :(

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Ah well, you can't win them all

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm doing all the lols imagining Rangnick explaining the gegenpress to Ronaldo and expecting him to do it.

More excited about the 2 year consultancy. Having an actual football brain informing decisions is bizarrely sensible.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

More excited about the 2 year consultancy. Having an actual football brain informing decisions is bizarrely sensible.

It could be a good move for Utd so long as he can work well with however the manager ends up being. Otherwise could just cause more division.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

That’s almost certainly just a way to give him more money over time for taking a 6 month gig. He’ll probably be actually employed by someone else, although I’m sure he’d be happy to send United some advanced stats spreadsheets during those two years if they asked.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

I'm doing all the lols imagining Rangnick explaining the gegenpress to Ronaldo and expecting him to do it.
Rangnick is going to look at all the advanced stats and formulate a strategy whereby Ronaldo stands around near the opposition goal and all the other players try and pass it to him. I'm not saying it's a good strategy but for the Man U team as-is it will probably be the most effective.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

blue footed boobie posted:

That’s almost certainly just a way to give him more money over time for taking a 6 month gig. He’ll probably be actually employed by someone else, although I’m sure he’d be happy to send United some advanced stats spreadsheets during those two years if they asked.

Just prints out the scouting list from his most recent FM save 10 mins before his 6 month meeting with Woodward

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Would probably be an improvement on United's scouting the last 5 years tbh

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.skysports.com/football/...for-other-teams

jurgen klopp has opinions on this matter

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I'm sure there were a lot of PL teams that were happy for Ole to stick around.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

For sure that must be true, particularly over the last few weeks. I'm sure there will be an almost instant new manager bounce and it will be interesting to see how/if the current crop of players cope with a pressing philosophy because as good as the manager is, if the players cant execute the strategy it wont make much difference.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

CyberPingu posted:

sounds like appointing rangnick is a terrible idea... for a chelsea fan

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

quote that in three months when pogba is on hunger strike because he can't put christmas lights in his hair and we're playing hannibal mejri at left back

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

quote that in three months when pogba is on hunger strike because he can't put christmas lights in his hair and we're playing hannibal mejri at left back

You know Christmas is in a month yeah?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

You know Christmas is in a month yeah?

it would be pretty gauche to wear christmas lights *at* christmas

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it would be pretty gauche to wear christmas lights *at* christmas

Indeed, heaven forbid if he should wear Christmas lights at the same time someone else might wear them.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

vyelkin posted:

also when considering bad PL signing how can we forget the man himself, Big Jozy, who came from the Netherlands for millions of pounds, scored like 1 goal in 50 appearances, and went back to MLS forever

pages late but this was my initial introduction to TRP, vehemently defending Jozy as a non-trashman at every turn. I had a weird job working doubles on the weekends where I had ample free time to sit and watch so I sat through the entire Jozy Chronicles while getting paid, the only way anyone should have watched that.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Omnikin posted:

pages late but this was my initial introduction to TRP, vehemently defending Jozy as a non-trashman at every turn. I had a weird job working doubles on the weekends where I had ample free time to sit and watch so I sat through the entire Jozy Chronicles while getting paid, the only way anyone should have watched that.

a lot of people here don't know that jozy did very well when he went back to MLS. and i'm not just talking about sloane stephens

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

EC10 posted:

a lot of people here don't know that jozy did very well when he went back to MLS. and i'm not just talking about sloane stephens

you may read this post in donald trump's voice if you please

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I do not.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

EC10 posted:

he's no Bradley Wright-Phillips

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Ragà, è Tottenham

December thread title

And then the hooting and hollering when he benches Ronaldo for Big Ron not doing any gegenpressing.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
re: pogba, there's like no good teams that have luxury midfielders anymore. i can't think of a single cl contender that has a similar role in their typical tactics

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/1464674506774040579

United has found Maguires replacement.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Do not disrespect Sir Philip of Jones

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
phil jones: 29 years old

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He could have had a testimonial, but said he didn't want one because nobody would come :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TheRat posted:

He could have had a testimonial, but said he didn't want one because nobody would come :(

I remember when he looked like the new Beckenbauer at Blackburn. Such a shame

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Turns out this whole time Carrick has been trying to convince Ole that Phil Jones is good, and now that he gets to name the teamsheet he's going all Phil Jones all the time. Phil Jones next to Harry Maguire, Phil Jones making the face and yelling at him, and all of a sudden the Manchester United defence is good and Carrick gets a 10-year contract.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I remember when he looked like the new Beckenbauer at Blackburn. Such a shame

Feels like that's the risk you take when a player breaks through as young as Jones did, it was the constant injuries that's done him in.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. I assume he's still made set-for-life money, but you always worry for kids moving to mega clubs so young

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Absolute dogshit officiating here tbh

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. I assume he's still made set-for-life money, but you always worry for kids moving to mega clubs so young

Yeah so many of them almost make it to the big time and then you cant help thinking that a few years with a smaller club but getting valuable experience would be better for their careers in the long run.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

or its related cousin, the Jack Wilshire, getting promoted and playing a ton of games when your bones are still growing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1465282005369860098

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Andoman posted:

Yeah so many of them almost make it to the big time and then you cant help thinking that a few years with a smaller club but getting valuable experience would be better for their careers in the long run.

It's interesting that Liverpool and particularly Chelsea seem to have got quite good at managing the injury and playing time risks for their kids and its paying off enormously. I know both clubs have devoted a lot of time and money that way, so it's clearly not easy

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tarbrush posted:

It's interesting that Liverpool and particularly Chelsea seem to have got quite good at managing the injury and playing time risks for their kids and its paying off enormously. I know both clubs have devoted a lot of time and money that way, so it's clearly not easy

More like: scooping up enough young prospects for about 10 teams, loaning then out, not getting punished nearly enough for having too many loanees, and then getting lucky by law of averages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

The problem is every time a 16/17 year old breaks into a PL team every kid in an academy thinks they are next and a load of them take bad career advice thinking the PL teams have their best interests at heart when demonstrably that is not the case.