Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SeANMcBAY posted:

I guess I don’t think of Halo as an arena fps because of how slow it is but I can’t deny it really is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9h2yDvbrc

I’m doing decently at it and like the game but the map design feels really boring visually. I hope they bring back many of the ones from the first 3 games, especially 3.

I never really payed attention to the games, but in order of first impressions:
-Wow, that is very slow
-Slick environments, I wish I had a good computer
-Melee with the flag seems to do a lot of damage, unless they're all wounded to begin with.
-Wait, why haven't you found new weapons yet? Is it all AR/pistol/nade??
-That outtro is embarrassing, they're all the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Flag melee got nerfed for this game, traditionally it’s OHKO

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Serephina posted:

-Wait, why haven't you found new weapons yet? Is it all AR/pistol/nade??
-That outtro is embarrassing, they're all the same guy.

There's a few weapons on the map, I just don't know where they all are yet.

It's a free to play game so you gotta pay if you want different skins.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What if Quake but LEGO?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NxnX8g7IRI

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I love this.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'm not a Halo fan, but I think the Halo Infinite MP seems alright.

Most weapon pickups being in lockers on the walls is weird to me and a lot of the time I don't even notice them. Weapons were meant to float and spin in the middle of the hallway!

I don't like that there's only one "change weapon" bind and that I can't bind each weapon slot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Part of Halo's core loop is the grenade dance. Everyone spawns with two area denial weapons and you have to learn how to engage with and against them. Its not like Quake or other games because a) the core level is always team based and b) learning to manage indirect fire is critical.

The other part is everyone is dangerous as hell at melee range

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 25, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm in love

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lego quake really works imo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I love this.

:agreed:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Holy crap, playing E1M1 in Prodeus is pretty cool!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I got WRATH in that humble bundle, but I'm really try to save myself for the finished product. (Shut up I don't care if people are saying it's not very good)

Is it worth dipping my toes into the first few levels then stopping, or are they also in flux and it's better to wait?

edit: half an hour later, first impressions without having completed a stage yet:

Looks good!
Physics feels little slippery when platforming
Guns are vanilla, but fun to use, mostly due to-
The combat is great. Everything's using projectiles, but they're very very fast so the dodging has to be done in advance, the old rotten habit of just tapping sidestep doesn't help you at all with the pace of things and the tendency of getting surrounded. Have died a half dozen times on Normal, am loving it.

I have no idea what people didn't like about it, what little I saw seems to be done in very good taste and polish.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 25, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Vyothric/status/1463163562797547537

Now thinking what a Snake Plissken Build engine game would have been like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's a few weapons on the map, I just don't know where they all are yet.
If you hit the Scan button (I think it's Z on PC by default), all the nearby pickups and weapon spawn boxes will become highlighted and visible through walls for a couple of seconds.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Serephina posted:

(Shut up I don't care if people are saying it's not very good)

Who's been saying it's not good? Both me and koren have been v positive on it in this thread I think?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23853/Thicc__Brutal/

That bundle name... /sees inside... but of course.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I picked up Duke Nukem World Tour for Switch last night because it was like $2, and played through the first two LA levels.

Is Duke Nukem known to be a lot harder than other FPS of the era? I’ve played through Doom, Quake, and even Dusk on Switch just fine (quake is a little harder due to controls) but the enemies in Duke deal a lot of damage, and take a lot of damage even at lower difficulties. I’m having to really watch my ammo supply as well as ammo and health placements are sparse.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I find Build game considerably harder than the ones you listed. Also make sure auto aim is on, I think it was off by default in that port for me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yea, the Build shooters are way harder than Doom. Blood and Shadow Warrior are even more aggro than Duke I would say.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I picked up Duke Nukem World Tour for Switch last night because it was like $2, and played through the first two LA levels.

Is Duke Nukem known to be a lot harder than other FPS of the era?

Yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unlike Dusk and Doom and Quake, Build Engine games love hit scanners.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is Duke Nukem known to be a lot harder than other FPS of the era? I’ve played through Doom, Quake, and even Dusk on Switch just fine (quake is a little harder due to controls) but the enemies in Duke deal a lot of damage, and take a lot of damage even at lower difficulties. I’m having to really watch my ammo supply as well as ammo and health placements are sparse.

It's hard, especially on a gamepad, because of the hitscanning enemies that will knock off half your health in an instant.

Use explosives liberally

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

Unlike Dusk and Doom and Quake, Build Engine games love hit scanners.

Ion Fury was great with every bullet weapon being a tracer, but then had boring weapons and enemies. I love the art style. sound, music and level design, but the actual combat gameplay isn't fun for an extended period.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

skasion posted:

Yea, the Build shooters are way harder than Doom. Blood and Shadow Warrior are even more aggro than Duke I would say.

Yeah, duke is the easiest of the big 3 build games by a wide margin. Duke has a bunch of secrets that provide early help, like a rocket launcher after you've killed like 2 enemies.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Convex posted:

Ion Fury was great with every bullet weapon being a tracer, but then had boring weapons and enemies. I love the art style. sound, music and level design, but the actual combat gameplay isn't fun for an extended period.

Yeah for as great as all the artwork was it fell into that trap of weapons seeming to do their animation at a guy until the guy did his death animation, rather than feeling meaty. The best animation in the game was that SMG reload

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I disagree hard with the boring weapon statement, I think all the weapons feel fantastic, but it does suffer from having too many weapons that do variations on the same thing and not having much enemy variety.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ion Fury had a lot of overlapping weapons and a really unvaried enemy roster.

It also has lovely devs so

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

also, its biggest sin… a lovely game!!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think i've nearly completed my collection of retro/neo-retro fpses on switch. i have doom 1, 2 & 64, duke 3d, dusk, ion fury, project warlock, quake, strife, and turok. i still need to get turok 2 and i don't really care for serious sam, but is there anything else of note on there that i'm missing?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Weedle posted:

i think i've nearly completed my collection of retro/neo-retro fpses on switch. i have doom 1, 2 & 64, duke 3d, dusk, ion fury, project warlock, quake, strife, and turok. i still need to get turok 2 and i don't really care for serious sam, but is there anything else of note on there that i'm missing?

Heretic, AMID EVIL, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, also pick up Wolfenstein 3-D and the Apogee Throwback Pack for ROTT and Blake Stone. Painkiller as well!

edit: i am bad at reading

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 26, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Convex posted:

Heretic, AMID EVIL, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, also pick up Wolfenstein 3-D and the Apogee Throwback Pack for ROTT and Blake Stone. Painkiller as well!

switch, not steam. i own all of those already on pc lol. i like to play on the sofa though

e: drat i should reinstall painkiller though. it's been years and i bet it runs a lot better on my computer now

Weedle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 26, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I should give Painkiller another chance. I really reflexively disliked it when it came out because people were like "Hell yeah, Doom is back. This game is exactly like Doom in every way, you just blast endless waves of enemies, just like you did in Doom" and I was just trying not to claw my eyes out at the sentiment.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The classic Build engine games are known for two things:
1) Notoriously squishy player characters.
2) Doors that will loving flatten you for seemingly no reason (but it's really because the engine is an utter mess of instability, described by John Carmack as "held together with bubble gum").

Duke3D can be a really rough experience if you're used to hitscanners generally being low-tier braindeads with lovely health (Zombieman, Grunt, etc.) because not only is Duke3D relentless in splashing said hitscanners around levels like so much cheap confetti, but even the cruddiest (Pig Cop & Enforcer) are far more aggressive/mobile than expected and they're sitting pretty with 100hp each; a mountain of health in comparison to the Zombieman (20) or Grunt (25).

Just to rub it in, they're able to dish out lethal amounts of damage in a few seconds too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm playing duke 3d on switch right now having never gotten past episode one in the past and i must say i'm appreciating the complexity and ambition of the environments more than i did previously. the difficulty balancing is definitely insane though and i'm having to savescum my way through on "let's rock." also idk if it's the game or the port but there have been several instances where i just randomly died without taking damage for no discernible reason. it also doesn't have a quicksave function which is annoying but it does have a rewind thing if you die. overall i'm vibing with it more than i used to and i think i might actually finish it this time. it's weird though. also in the switch port it plays a random sound effect when you open the menu so sometimes it's like a gunshot or explosion or squish and other times it's duke going "auuugghhh" or "uuunnnhhhhh." very sensual

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

How is Ion Fury on Switch? I hear it’s a pretty bad port.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

depends on how nostalgic you are for playing games at an average of 25 fps

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Runs pretty poo poo imo

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Weedle posted:

depends on how nostalgic you are for playing games at an average of 25 fps

Nostalgic indeed, a Pentium barely coping with Quake's demands back in 1996 :allears:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Nostalgic indeed, a Pentium barely coping with Quake's demands back in 1996 :allears:

Me: "But I have a Pentium, it should be fine!!"
Friend: "A Pentium what?"
Me: "What? A Pentium!"
Friend: "A Pentium what? You know, flavour, speed, whatever? And what's your graphics card?"
Me: "Its not a 486 ok, there's no turbo button. And its 15 inches"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Now trying to get Quake running on one of these was a cursed endeavour. Did it with my 486 DX2 66MHz for no reason other than "how bad can it be?", and it delivered a practically unplayable experience. E1M8 (Ziggurat Vertigo) in particular was astoundingly bad, crawling by at a mighty 25spf!