Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

josh04 posted:

The vote difference was all of 8 votes, not sure how much to read into it. They somehow both ran on "the other party will close your green spaces" and, uh, "no more stink":

https://twitter.com/NUL_Labour/status/1463442034635808772
https://twitter.com/AaronBell4NUL/status/1462013466563289090

Huckfield appears to have previously contested local elections on a platform of "vote for tories and the tories will give us more money" which is pretty lovely.

it’s ok labour say they won’t give out money to anyone which is very responsible and good for business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It is fun seeing Keir fans try and twist yet another lost election as proof that their guy is the most electable person in the world. I'm not sure what 'redkipper' means but if its what it sounds like on the tin theres FBPEs arguing that starmer doesn't want to win over brexit voters now which is amazing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
ah yes, the traditional Labour platform of not raising taxes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

My god who could have foreseen this

Twenty percent turnout for a council by-election is actually about average unless the reason for the election is particularly juicy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

Clearly *checks notes* Knutton is a hotbed of extremist woke leftism and it's good that they're no longer a part of the Labour project.

lived near there for a couple of years and let me tell you, wokeness was the least of their worries

The entire pottery area was deprived before the 2008 crash

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/adamndsmith/status/1464177573076869120?s=20

check the comments for feeble blairite defences

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm here in Co. Antrim watching horizontal hail hitting my precious Yaris. :ohdear:

One of my dumb housemates left the french garden windows wide open and turned off the heating because they thought it was a bit too warm to sleep (they work night shifts sometimes).

Now we have a room full of hail and 12°C indoor temperature.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Boris should write a strong letter to Zeus and demand he take back his weather.

Judging by the direction it's coming from Thor would be more appropriate but instead I assume he'll just end up bellowing at Set.

Speaking of gods - the Wardian development (5th and 10th tallest residential buildings in the country) now has a new address - in the latest of their many, many shenanigans they moved the official front door of the development from the street to the dockside path so their address was no longer Marsh Wall (because there are other, taller and more prestigious, buildings going up on Marsh Wall). This is the same dockside path they went all the way to the High Court trying to overturn the planning restriction that it had to remain a public right-of-way. They applied to the council for the walkway (which was previously unnamed) to be called Wardian Gardens (the "gardens" in question being the hilariously tiny playground and patch of grass where the site office and plant had been during construction).

Tower Hamlets (who have a long and distinguished record of passive-aggressive trolling through street names) declined the application on the ground that they don't name streets after single developments, but instead offered an alternative - the name of a ship that had a (very tenuous) link to the Isle of Dogs, having had her engines replaced at Napier Yard before setting off on the first major expedition to Antarctica, where she mapped the Ross Sea and made extensive observations of the wildlife there. As the developers made such a big thing about the eco-friendliness of their massive pile of concrete and steel they really couldn't turn it down and so the development now proudly stands on Erebus Gardens.

Erebus is a cool-sounding name for a ship, I wonder what it's named after?

quote:

In Greek mythology, Erebus (/ˈɛrɪbəs/;[1] Ancient Greek: Ἔρεβος, romanized: Érebos, "deep darkness, shadow"[2] or "covered"[3]), or Erebos, is the personification of darkness and one of the primordial deities. Hesiod's Theogony identifies him as one of the first five beings in existence, born of Chaos.[4]

(The other ship on the expedition was called HMS Terror, so they got off lightly, but also someone should probably have checked on whoever was giving out the ship names in the mid 19th century)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tower Hamlets (who have a long and distinguished record of passive-aggressive trolling through street names) declined the application on the ground that they don't name streets after single developments, but instead offered an alternative - the name of a ship that had a (very tenuous) link to the Isle of Dogs, having had her engines replaced at Napier Yard before setting off on the first major expedition to Antarctica, where she mapped the Ross Sea and made extensive observations of the wildlife there. As the developers made such a big thing about the eco-friendliness of their massive pile of concrete and steel they really couldn't turn it down and so the development now proudly stands on Erebus Gardens.

Erebus is a cool-sounding name for a ship, I wonder what it's named after?

(The other ship on the expedition was called HMS Terror, so they got off lightly, but also someone should probably have checked on whoever was giving out the ship names in the mid 19th century)

Erebus was one of the doomed ships on the Franklin expedition where the crew succumbed to starvation, lead poisoning, and eventual cannibalism and all died horribly, so naming anything after that ship isn't good vibes at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 26, 2021

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Every time I see the names "HMS Erebus" and "HMS Terror" come up I think to myself, 'Who the gently caress persuaded me that the British were ever the good guys!?!'

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
the first season of the tv show "The Terror" is a v enjoyable (if bleak) extremely fictionalised version that turns the disappearance of Frankin Expedition into a horror story.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Danger - Octopus! posted:

extremely fictionalised

You mean they WEREN'T all eaten by a giant magic polar bear??? My immersion in the series is ruined now :mad:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pistol_Pete posted:

You mean they WEREN'T all eaten by a giant magic polar bear??? My immersion in the series is ruined now :mad:

I'm not a historian or a lostexpeditionologist so they could have been, sure. Or they could have just eaten each others butts and not wanted to come back from that idk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Once you eat rear end you never turn back :hmmyes:

HMS Erebus and HMS Terror are good bote names for an arctic expedition, but they're no HMS Mimi and HMS Toutou :3:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

Of course they are mostly young men. There's a generation of boomers who won't even walk to the shop complaining that their foreign counterparts aren't clambering into lorries or sitting in a freezing cold dinghy for hours. Young men are more likely to survive the physically demanding journey with limited food and then be able to find cash-in-hand manual labouring work because they can't be legally employed when they get here. There is a reason that hand car washes sprang up everywhere over the last few years.

Exactly. In many cultures, it is normal that the men leave to find work to either send money home or to set up house before moving the family over. Just need to look at the migrant workers all over the globe. Egypt is chock full of young men living away from home on the Red Sea etc in hotels or in some of the factories based in remote areas to support their families. Qatar, Dubai, Saudi Arabia - full of mostly male migrant workers from middle east, India etc.

Closer to home, only got to look at Ireland:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/rural-ireland-would-not-have-survived-without-money-being-sent-home-by-emigrants-1.4081919

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

extremely fictionalised

OR IS IT!? :twisted:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That eejit has forgotten what his relatives & ancestors did to keep him alive, ungrateful chancer.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bankschat and boatnamechat in one day, but no crossing of the streams?

Unusual.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(The other ship on the expedition was called HMS Terror, so they got off lightly

I think I'd pay good money for my address to be 1, Terror Alley actually

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Can confirm this, my father was one of seven brothers, and all went to the US to illegally work from the 60s to 80s.
My dad worked as a laborer. There are some floors in some skyscraper beside Trump Tower built by him.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Erebus and Terror were former bomb ketches - ship's fitted with large fixed mortars for shore bombardments. They were chosen for conversion to polar exploration ships because their hull structures were much stronger than a standard ship in order to withstand the recoil of the mortars, thus making them better-suited to working through (and getting stuck in) ice.

The Royal Navy had a long tradition of giving bomb ketches hellish, firey, doom-laden, infernal names :black101: Others include
Beelzebub, Etna, Devastation, Sulphur, Carcass, Basilisk, Tartarus, Dreadful, Blast, Convulsion, Destruction...and - most terrifying and hellish of all - Portsmouth

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Umbra Dubium posted:

'Who the gently caress persuaded me that the British were ever the good guys!?!'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised there haven't been more conspiracies about the half-dozen HMS Lucifers.

Or people wondering when we became such a snowflake society that you can't even name an instrument of infernal wrath after the morning star any more.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Squeaky loving bum time re: covid, comrades

Gotta be honest, I'm shook as gently caress

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^ Wishing you well comrade <3

OwlFancier posted:

I mean this is a general theme among speculative fiction authors, they all, seemingly invariably, operate under the belief that the only thing people can be interested in long term is loving or murdering.

There's never anybody who like, spends thousands of years getting very very good at carpentry and being happy with it.

That's because that's already been adopted in fantasy instead, specifically with elves. That's how come Legolam is so good at archery and stuff.

Lower Decks is great.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 26, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Squeaky loving bum time re: covid, comrades

Gotta be honest, I'm shook as gently caress

OMICRON is not a name that inspires much hope

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

OMICRON is not a name that inspires much hope

I though Nu was the scary one. Turns your lungs into Fred Durst's brain.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Same one

and it's looking like The Big One

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Huh the next letter after Nu is Xi, wonder why they skipped it...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah it seems Nu became Omicron, presumably because it sounds scarier.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:coronatoot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Huh the next letter after Nu is Xi, wonder why they skipped it...
Already used for the prerelease :tinfoil:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 26, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guess I'll keep not going anywhere and fastidiously masking up then. :shrug:

Although I have a new housemate who unfortunately works in retail, so I'll say my farewells now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Same one

and it's looking like The Big One

It's weeks too early for anyone to be making that prediction and I'd assume anyone saying so with any kind of confidence is selling something. We have some evidence it's more transmissable than Delta but literally no data at all yet on how dangerous it is, and how much it's mitigated by existing vaccines or treatable with existing therapy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you want to freak out about something, freak out about this:

https://twitter.com/ianvisits/status/1464308516274028549

Suddenly I know where all the money to make public transport step-free has come from.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSIhX-VWhtQ

I mean I'd prefer Bowie to Nu Metal but I think this new variant should reconsider its relationship with to the disgraced Auteur videogame director David Cage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

An idle thought that crossed my mind today is that the pandemic had the possibility to let people get a bit more perspective on incarceration and the severity of crime. Most people were climbing up the walls after a few months of lockdown, and they generally had an entire house or flat filled with personal possessions, entertainment and company, with daily allowances for outdoor exercise and grocery shopping. And yet apparently they couldn't handle even a fraction of what we expect criminals to endure.

Of course that isn't going to happen because we couldn't even get people to normalise wearing a mask when they clearly have a transmittable illness, but it's nice to dream I guess.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
as far as I can tell there is no evidence yet that Omnicron fucks your lungs up any more than the previous variants, which all have the capability to rip your lungs apart if you lose the genetic lottery/have the wrong combination of comorbidities

so a more reasonable assumption would be that it'll be like going back to march 2020 only this time it spreads faster

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe we'll learn lessons from then.

Like the populace, overall, on aggregate. The government aren't going to learn poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe we'll learn lessons from then.

Like the populace, overall, on aggregate. The government aren't going to learn poo poo.

Honestly I think the opposite is going to be true. We're already seeing violent protests against lockdowns in European countries that were fairly compliant (with varying degrees of begrudgement) with previous NPIs, and I think you'll see the same sort of thing over here before too soon if they attempt to impose a pre-Christmas lockdown or even return to mask requirements.