Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dango Bango posted:

Posting turkey pics?

Spatchcocked turkey bros :hfive:

I didn’t get a picture of mine before carving it but here’s our evening’s spread:

Also a pumpkin pie my SO made but it was still chilling in the fridge.

We only had 3 people over from my SO’s fellowship program over since we couldn’t travel back East for the holiday, so relatively subdued menu, but I was still working in the kitchen off and on from 9am to about 7. Couldn’t be happier though.

Also the rolls are from the Dessert Person cookbook in the back of the photo and they absolutely blow the frozen Parker House rolls we’re served every year out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Spatchcock turkey is OP. Recipe said it could take 80 min & mine was done in about 40.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

how do you stuff a spatchcock turkey tho? don't answer I already know the answer, and it's the reason why a spatchcocked turkey is a no-go around here. Well reason #1, anyway. #2 is that you don't get a carcass to turn into stock.

My stepdad thought it'd be a good idea to go stand in line for two hours at a walgreens yesterday to get his moderna booster, and he was sick as a dog when he drove down to my sister's house today. Managed to dump a third of the mashed potatoes out onto the floor of his van. We had to drive him home, there was no way he was safe to drive. My sister overcooked the turkey a bit, but it was still edible. The remaining potatoes were good, my wife's pumpkin pie was excellent, we had a drat good salad with roasted vegetables and bacon in it, and my stepdad was accepting of my trans sister presenting as female for the first time he'd ever seen her like that. So, y'know.... whew.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Leperflesh posted:

how do you stuff a spatchcock turkey tho? don't answer I already know the answer, and it's the reason why a spatchcocked turkey is a no-go around here. Well reason #1, anyway. #2 is that you don't get a carcass to turn into stock.

And that's not including the spine I chopped up & saved in the plastic bag behind these bones. :confused:
Are you thinking spatchcocking is completely deboning a bird? Best thing about spatchcocking was the original recipe said this would take about 80-90min & this was done in 40.

Also I've gotten into making dressing (stuffing outside the bird) for the last 5+ years. If you're wondering where I got the stock to make it while the turkey was cooking, why do you think I've been saving those chicken bones from countless NFL GDT nights?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/539285683911786496/913196777233068082/tumblr_r2ppe8tl8w1qgz7mu_720.mp4

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Amazing

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m not in retail anymore, but still having to work on Black Friday is dumb and I don’t like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anyone who goes into the store on Black Friday for something other than food is a real piece of poo poo, and it should be federal law employees working Thursday/Friday earn hazard pay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have a cousin who just got a job at Target, starts work in a couple hours. Please send your thoughts and prayers.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Literally first day is Black Friday? That's nightmare inducing.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Isn't Black Friday much less of A Thing now than it was 15 years ago?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

saintonan posted:

Literally first day is Black Friday? That's nightmare inducing.

I don't think it's their first shift, but it's a relatively new job. This was over a Zoom call because they couldn't come to Thanksgiving, so I didn't catch all the details.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Barudak posted:

Anyone who goes into the store on Black Friday for something other than food is a real piece of poo poo, and it should be federal law employees working Thursday/Friday earn hazard pay.

In my experience, Saturday was always much worse from a workers perspective. Bigger crowds than Friday (Since everyone thinks they’re being smart and avoiding the worst of it: They’re not), assholes expecting all the same deals that ended at noon the day before or wondering why the hot doorbuster items are all sold out (Not that any store got a lot of whatever it was anyway), leading to more bullshit and annoyance from everyone involved. The whole weekend is poop from a butt, but Saturday was the most hellish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fartknocker posted:

In my experience, Saturday was always much worse from a workers perspective. Bigger crowds than Friday (Since everyone thinks they’re being smart and avoiding the worst of it: They’re not), assholes expecting all the same deals that ended at noon the day before or wondering why the hot doorbuster items are all sold out (Not that any store got a lot of whatever it was anyway), leading to more bullshit and annoyance from everyone involved. The whole weekend is poop from a butt, but Saturday was the most hellish.

Yeah, I'm gonna probably do the smart thing and forget to do Christmas shopping until like 4 days before.

Not looking forward to working sorting packages for the post office for the next month.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

fsif posted:

Isn't Black Friday much less of A Thing now than it was 15 years ago?

Relatively, yes, the amount of insanity on Black Friday isn’t as bad as it was 10-15 years ago. There are still the big door buster sales and all that, but the furor of being there at 4 PM on Thanksgiving night (The earliest I ever had to open) or 5 AM on Black Friday has abated.

However, the whole weekend is still a massive shopping thing, so it’s much more spread over it. Saturday and Sunday crowds are still massive. Cyber Monday is also much, much worse, even for physical retail since so many places will have in store pick up. A lot of online orders will also ship directly from retail stores as well, so there’s gonna be a lot of people running around like crazy on that day because they’ve got very narrow windows to process an order that came in from online where someone is either picking it up in 40 minutes or it’s gotta be packed and scanned before whatever carrier gets there to ship it out. Plus, a lot of people are losing days off or had their schedules changed around for this week, since most retail places make Black Friday/Cyber Monday mandatory.

Again, it’s the worst weekend for anything retail adjacent.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I only had one call yesterday and it was someone who showed up to Thanksgiving dinner and discovered his father in law’d had a stroke a week ago and was just like pushing through it.

Dragging his leg around and unable to speak and everything. His mother in law says he wouldn’t let her take him to the hospital.

Poor guy was just like “so uh what’s the protocol here?” Apparently he just googled <city> <stroke> and got the office on call line somehow

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So what is the protocol for someone who apparently is still semi-coherent and refuses to go to the hospital? If you call 911 can the paramedics force you to go with them? Seems like a nightmare.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

So what is the protocol for someone who apparently is still semi-coherent and refuses to go to the hospital? If you call 911 can the paramedics force you to go with them? Seems like a nightmare.

That’s a question for LeeMajors

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Working today but it's the anti-Black Friday. Log in from home, one of only two people in the office that didn't burn leave to avoid waking up early. Close a few cases, get some house cleaning done.

Looked at Amazon stuff but figured the moral calculus of having someone fulfill orders on a day like this is as bad as physically joining the stampede, so gonna sit this weekend out purchase-wise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GD_American posted:

Working today but it's the anti-Black Friday. Log in from home, one of only two people in the office that didn't burn leave to avoid waking up early. Close a few cases, get some house cleaning done.

Looked at Amazon stuff but figured the moral calculus of having someone fulfill orders on a day like this is as bad as physically joining the stampede, so gonna sit this weekend out purchase-wise.

Good man. I'm serious, loving shop local.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Just had my wife and her mom here for Thanksgiving, but I made a full chicken roasted in the oven, pan sauce from that, brussels sprouts parboiled then finished in a skillet with bacon, rye bread stuffing, and brown-butter garlic cauliflower mash. No real responsibilities today (buy a tree?), then my wife starts her work weekend. When she leaves I'm going to smoke some sour diesel (thank you, Sunnyside South Beloit) and play the Deep Rock Galactic Season 1 release with some friends for the first first time. Very excited for that.

Rock and stone!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh and in case you were optimistic about anything

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1464190991204859919?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I like having a smartphone, I don't want any other device in my life to be "smart"

https://twitter.com/dreadconquest/status/1464053443694264320?s=20

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Really depends on how coherent they are. If they are fully alert (can tell us who they are, what happened, what day it is, and some other relevant stuff) and aren't under any influence of alcohol or drugs, technically they can refuse treatment/transport against medical advice.

For Fitz patient, generally we'd see if the family member has any medical POA and let them make the call. You can try arguing with the patient that basically they are slowly dying and need treatment (though after this long no emergency medical care will bring that dead brain back). Could call online medical control (the MD or medical service we license under) and get their advice. I've had OLMC convince otherwise completely refusing patients to go in, otherwise they give the ok for you to leave.Last option would be protective custody of PD is willing to go along.

Then there's Baker Act for mental illness, but that wouldn't apply here imo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I mean, aren't you gonna catch it regardless of vaccination status if the initial viral load is high enough?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s really a question of capacity, competency and informed consent.

We are frequently called for patients by third parties with the expectation that we can just kidnap them, but the reality is that even a dying person has rights as long as the criteria is met.

Generally if they are alert and oriented x4, not grossly intoxicated and I have no reason to believe that they do not understand the risks associated with refusal, they can refuse care.

We get lots of squishy legal grey areas and we just have to use our best judgement. If I think there’s an actual medical emergency happening and they don’t prove to me they fully understand the gravity of their situation I’ll physically or chemically restrain them in a heartbeat—because ultimately it’s easier to justify treating someone in distress than it is to leave them to die.

Conversely if they are dying and they DO exhibit capacity and are making an informed decision, I’m collecting as much redundancy in documentation as I can—contact medical control, have PD at bedside with cameras on, having family members sign as witnesses, provide as much verbal counseling as I can.

Ultimately an informed person can choose let themselves die if they don’t want care.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

I only had one call yesterday and it was someone who showed up to Thanksgiving dinner and discovered his father in law’d had a stroke a week ago and was just like pushing through it.

Dragging his leg around and unable to speak and everything. His mother in law says he wouldn’t let her take him to the hospital.

Poor guy was just like “so uh what’s the protocol here?” Apparently he just googled <city> <stroke> and got the office on call line somehow

Lol my holiday so far has been nothing but old people with questionable syncope/seizure so everyone gets brain mri! The one lady has a massive saddle pulmonary embolism but the mri is still very important! I'll forever hold a grudge in my heart for doctors/nurses acting like a PE is super critical important and we need this lung scan RIGHT loving NOW when the only thing you do for it is start heparin iv. gently caress off, that poo poo can easily wait until the morning you clowns.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
So to verify, those Do Not Resuscitate wrist bands don't hold legal power if a person has one on and the paramedics arrive?

Unrelated, Christmas shopping was done earlier this month as I predicted supply chain issues would be a thing, and I need to ship them to my sis & her family this year (no room in luggage this time). Then I get a text from my sis & they all want to do a Secret Santa thing. Now I got all these extra presents that will have to wait until birthdays/next year.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

So to verify, those Do Not Resuscitate wrist bands don't hold legal power if a person has one on and the paramedics arrive?

Unrelated, Christmas shopping was done earlier this month as I predicted supply chain issues would be a thing, and I need to ship them to my sis & her family this year (no room in luggage this time). Then I get a text from my sis & they all want to do a Secret Santa thing. Now I got all these extra presents that will have to wait until birthdays/next year.

If they're an official one (Wisconsin has specific types we recognize as valid that can only come from a doctor), then they hold legal power. Added documentation is even better because that tells us specifically what they patient wants - pain control and breathing support, but no intubated, for example.

If its the ones that are like "don't resuscitate, just throw me in the trash", nope. No legal weight at all.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Depends on the state but generally no.

Also people are very very slack with keeping those handy for responders. It should be laminated and nailed to the wall over the patient’s bed at all times.

Also carried with them whenever they go out and about.

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh and in case you were optimistic about anything

https://twitter.com/thetnholler/status/1464263435630297097?s=21

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

speaking of nic cage, pig is now on hulu

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

My stepdad thought it'd be a good idea to go stand in line for two hours at a walgreens yesterday to get his moderna booster, and he was sick as a dog when he drove down to my sister's house today. Managed to dump a third of the mashed potatoes out onto the floor of his van. We had to drive him home, there was no way he was safe to drive. My sister overcooked the turkey a bit, but it was still edible. The remaining potatoes were good, my wife's pumpkin pie was excellent, we had a drat good salad with roasted vegetables and bacon in it, and my stepdad was accepting of my trans sister presenting as female for the first time he'd ever seen her like that. So, y'know.... whew.

alton brown insists you shouldn't stuff a turkey in general because the only way to make the stuffing cook through to a safe temperature is to cook it long enough that the turkey becomes dry

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Vertical Lime posted:

speaking of nic cage, pig is now on hulu

Def recommend but this is not some John Wick revenge action film. Very meditative & IMO one of those performances that has me say, "Oh yeah, Nic Cage can act."

Intruder posted:

alton brown insists you shouldn't stuff a turkey in general because the only way to make the stuffing cook through to a safe temperature is to cook it long enough that the turkey becomes dry
Not just Alton Brown, but J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and any serious chef try to steer people away from the old-school "stuffing in a bird" due to this.

Caveat is if you do a completely boneless bird (to ensure even cooking) or you're stuffing the carcass with aromatics that you'll discard later.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 26, 2021

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, aren't you gonna catch it regardless of vaccination status if the initial viral load is high enough?

Yeah, it infecting someone who has been vaccinated means nothing right now because that can happen with any of the other variants too. Until it is obvious that a) it’s more dangerous then Delta and b) it’ll outcompete it it’s not worth worrying about.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

is this that variant that’s causing all the new South Africa travel restrictions?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I am a post-Thanksgiving fart machine this morning, jfc

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you spatchcock a bird the idea is you elevate it with a tray from the pan and then spread veggies on the bottom that add to the drippings flavor.

also i don't think the turkey adds any flavor to the stuffing and the wet stuffing from the bird is worse than the extra that gets cooked in a pan in the oven imo.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Stuffing is a C-tier thanksgiving side and I’m skipping it for all of the other delicious foods anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Also holy hell the ads in my inbox started before Thanksgiving was even over and was just a steady stream overnight. I think I had about 150 in my promotions folder just from midnight onward.