Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

This isn't really Covid related but it's flight related so I'm posting it here anyway https://twitter.com/turbulence898/status/1463897304499462150?s=20

i love chicken, i love liver

meow drink, meow drink

breasts please deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is the R0 actually 36

We don't really have a clue. We just know the mutation profile looks absolutely awful compared to anything we've seen before

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

inferis posted:

The us didn’t ban travel from India until they had already peaked

https://twitter.com/Anurag_Dwary/status/1385502467710885890

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is the R0 actually 36

I doubt it, but that’s small consolation because a third of that would still be really loving awful.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE OMICRON

I KNEW IT

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cool, time to tell my family Christmas is cancelled. No it doesn't matter that we're vaccinated and boosted

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Good Citizen posted:

wonder if this is gonna be the variant that finally throws the children in the full-on meat grinder as well

Died with meatgrinder. Also I think you'll find most of them would have perished in the coming decades of other global disasters anyway.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

To be a fly on the wall in the WHO or CDC or white house or whatever now
actually doing things on a friday after a holiday, they're probably day drinking

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

NY, the Bronx, in particular. Don't drive but I have internet access for ordering stuff - obviously - and while it's something I try to avoid for obvious reasons, I can respo up and take the train if I need to. Although obviously that limits how much I can physically carry.

I mean with all the bean posters here, yeah, surely at least one of y'all lives in or around NY? Where and what did you buy your doomsday prep stuff. I'd like to have at least 6 months worth of food in the house.

kalyustans

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

actually doing things on a friday after a holiday, they're probably day drinking

day drinking is probably the appropriate reaction to this strain

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nu game+

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

picturing biden and advisers waiting for fancypants scientist to come in and give them the good news. scientist walks in, passes glasses around the table, cracks open a bottle of scotch.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

SKULL.GIF posted:

Cool, time to tell my family Christmas is cancelled. No it doesn't matter that we're vaccinated and boosted

I'm lucky that my parents don't really celebrate holidays. I might get an invite from my aunt and uncle to come by for dinner but I've had to cancel enough years due to having to work that they won't hold it against me.

Renting a screaming cabin though wasn't a joke post

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

lol if the R_0 is 36 wouldn’t that mean it would infect the entire US population in 5.5 generations

no way

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

This is all part of the War on Christmas

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

https://kalustyans.com/? Never heard of them before. But neat! This looks like stuff I'd have liked to know about even in the Before Times!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

corona familiar posted:

lol if the R_0 is 36 wouldn’t that mean it would infect the entire US population in 5.5 generations

no way

why not

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I wanted Nu :(

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

corona familiar posted:

no way

Hell yeah accelerationism let's go

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gio posted:

picturing biden and advisers waiting for fancypants scientist to come in and give them the good news. scientist walks in, passes glasses around the table, cracks open a bottle of scotch.

Seems like it'd just be his team. Biden is apparently still in Nantucket at some billionaire's house for the weekend

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is the R0 actually 36

It's somewhere between 8 and 36, data is still very sketchy

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

lmao if we somehow magically got a lockdown for the strain where it won’t help

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

corona familiar posted:

no way

assuming literally perfect transportation, yes, but you have to forgive our material limitations

we cannot optimally transfer the virus to the maximum possible number of new hosts, despite our best efforts

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:kheldragar:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

there’s still people who don’t think it’s airborne

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I am so mad at these cowards going with omicron

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

I've been sober all of 2021 and it's been reaaaaal tempting to pour a big glass of liquor today

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Complications posted:

assuming literally perfect transportation, yes, but you have to forgive our material limitations

we cannot optimally transfer the virus to the maximum possible number of new hosts, despite our best efforts

sounds like we gotta open er up more

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just got an email from Couchsurfing.com

"USA opening to Vaccinated Travelers! Beginning November 8th, the USA is opening to vaccinated travelers from 33 countries. There has never been a better time for you to start planning your next trip!"

lol

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Omnicarus posted:

This is all part of the War on Christmas

Tucker Carlson in a hazmat suit DEMANDING his viewers suck and gently caress this christmas

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
A novel SARS-CoV-2 related coronavirus in bats from Cambodia
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-26809-4

quote:

Abstract
Knowledge of the origin and reservoir of the coronavirus responsible for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is still fragmentary. To date, the closest relatives to SARS-CoV-2 have been detected in Rhinolophus bats sampled in the Yunnan province, China. Here we describe the identification of SARS-CoV-2 related coronaviruses in two Rhinolophus shameli bats sampled in Cambodia in 2010. Metagenomic sequencing identifies nearly identical viruses sharing 92.6% nucleotide identity with SARS-CoV-2. Most genomic regions are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, with the exception of a region of the spike, which is not compatible with human ACE2-mediated entry. The discovery of these viruses in a bat species not found in China indicates that SARS-CoV-2 related viruses have a much wider geographic distribution than previously reported, and suggests that Southeast Asia represents a key area to consider for future surveillance for coronaviruses.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm only on Yakuza 2 and the Omi Alliance is already a big pain in my rear end. Can't wait for the sequels when I apparently meet Omicron Alliance.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I've been sober all of 2021 and it's been reaaaaal tempting to pour a big glass of liquor today

dont do it.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
omicron is a pretty solid name but I’m missing the chrono trigger nostalgia from nu

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The bodies lying in the sand
They're moving in the dark
It is so quick to let us in
We feel it moving through our skin
It's a sickness, infinite quickness, yeah
It is happening again
It is happening again
It is happening again oh oh
It is happening again
It is happening again oh oh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njbmwfndFH4

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

not worth it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I was gonna take like a week break from drinking starting today lol

glug glug

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The biden administration needs to approve an emergency program and rapidly and without any hesitate release more video games for me to play while I'm hiding in my apartment. Elden ring must not wait until february 2022. This is an emergency!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

:cheers: