Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think the argument is she could've just deflected the arrows.

But yea I mean, they all knew Logain's buddy's weren't far behind, so it really doesn't seem like much of a stretch of the Oaths in my book

edit;

Grundulum posted:

I just had a really depressing thought, y’all. Not only do I have to wait seven more days until the next episode, but in about a month I’m going to have to wait a lot longer even than that.

On the bright side, The Witcher season 2 drops at approximately the same time as WoT wraps up so at least there's another decent fantasy show to jump into!

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This was a really good episode. I liked everything with Nyaeve and Logaine and Lan too. I also liked that they did a little nod toward the Green Aja and their warders. The beginning with Logain was good as well. Rand and Mats story was a little weak

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

She didn't fire them. She just stopped holding them back! The one power wasn't killing anyone - the arrows were. Stopping doing something isn't using a weapon.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They just tried to kill her very explicitly, once someone shoots an arrow at you there's no restrictions against using the power to directly make their head explode or throw their arrows back at them, or anything else.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Sorry, wasn’t clear enough with my question, I guess (still Ep 4 spoilers): stopping the arrows is clearly not using the One Power as a weapon, but firing them at the ground right as the archers pass under seems like a stretch. (As an aside, I’ve never been in combat myself so I probably should not be judging others—but it sure struck me as a really dumb idea to run directly under the rain of arrows being suspended in midair by the angry witch.) I guess creative interpretation of the Three Oaths is as natural as breathing to Aes Sedai, so maybe I am just overthinking this.

If a person fires an arrow at you and then charges you with weapons drawn, they're a lethal threat regardless if that arrow struck you or not.

Even moreso when it's dozens of people doing it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Sorry, wasn’t clear enough with my question, I guess (still Ep 4 spoilers): stopping the arrows is clearly not using the One Power as a weapon, but firing them at the ground right as the archers pass under seems like a stretch. (As an aside, I’ve never been in combat myself so I probably should not be judging others—but it sure struck me as a really dumb idea to run directly under the rain of arrows being suspended in midair by the angry witch.) I guess creative interpretation of the Three Oaths is as natural as breathing to Aes Sedai, so maybe I am just overthinking this.

Yes, but They shot arrows at them. Their life is already in danger by these attackers, who have clearly shown their intent to kill the Aes Sedai and their warders. So the threat of death is still there because the people who shot the arrows are also still there and currently running towards them with more pointy things

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

She didn't fire them. She just stopped holding them back! The one power wasn't killing anyone - the arrows were. Stopping doing something isn't using a weapon.

Bart: I'm gonna be doing this, if you get hit it's your own fault.

Lisa: Ok, then I'm gonna start kicking air like this, and if any part of you should fill that air, it's your own fault.

Lisa Simpson confirmed as Aes Sedai.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I think the argument is she could've just deflected the arrows.

Well, The Oaths doesn't say anything about using the least excessive amount of force, and only using more only as it is needed if there is a bigger life-threatening danger. It says 'you can't use it as a weapon, except if your life is threatened, then you can go hog wild. Go girl! go brrr!'.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 26, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I love this show y'all

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I can't believe "how can she fire the arrows that were shot at her back at her attackers before her life was threatened?" is an actual question here

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, like I said obviously Logain's army was still right behind said arrows :v:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

well, none of the archers used their “Mark Target” cooldown (despite the damage boost) so the Green Ajahs wouldn’t draw aggro until the actual HP damage is dealt.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I can't believe "how can she fire the arrows that were shot at her back at her attackers before her life was threatened?" is an actual question here

Neither can I! Arrows are loosed, not fired.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mover posted:

well, none of the archers used their “Mark Target” cooldown (despite the damage boost) so the Green Ajahs wouldn’t draw aggro until the actual HP damage is dealt.

Now that WoT is becoming A Thing please give me an MMO

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Neither can I! Arrows are loosed, not fired.
would you say arrows propelled by Saidar are fired, loosed or shot?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

They're weaved.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nihilarian posted:

thrown.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Saidarted.

I'll...see myself out.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

RC Cola posted:

I love this show y'all

It’s better than it has any right to be.

Re: Alanna killing folks, it just shows how spongey the Oaths are. She can very easily rationalize her way to violence, just like Moiraine can say she was going to visit her “sisters” without believing she had said something untrue.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Rarity posted:

Now that WoT is becoming A Thing please give me a Dating Sim

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rarity posted:

The music from the end of the ep is on Youtube and it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYDYxkmqEI

Just listening to this gives me goosebumps again like I'm rewatching the scene for the 37th time

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

IcePhoenix posted:

Just listening to this gives me goosebumps again like I'm rewatching the scene for the 37th time

I've watched the back half of the episode, from Rand and Thom finding Mat in the farmhouse forward four times now I think, along with watching the last few minutes with Nynaeve a few more and listened to that song specifically on YouTube 5 or 6 times too. It's really, really good stuff. It's not even like the fight is the only good part of the episode either, because Ila's speech to Perrin about peace being the best revenge for violence and why she wants to make things better is fantastic as well, along with Lan and Nynaeve's conversation and flirting. It's just the whole battle scene is really well put together, and the music puts it over the top. Moiraine's conversation with Logain is great too; especially her dawning smile once she realizes that Logain isn't the Dragon because he personally wants things and is just letting the madness justify it or something (maybe the madness is pushing him to want things personally instead; there's selfishness there in some fashion though regardless).

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 26, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I kind of love how visibly diverse this show is.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the diversity is surely pissing off a poo poo ton of bigots, which is just /chefskiss

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it might help to not give away the game so readily on things the show is intentionally being coy about in the show-watcher thread of all places

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I really really wish folks would stop posting about the dang books in this thread. There is a whole separate thread just for that.

This episode ruled.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This thread is just a retelling of the GoT threads

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Expanse thread is the same way, book reading posters got no chill

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

This thread is just a retelling of the GoT threads

The wheel of time turns, and spoilers come to pass.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Johnny Joestar posted:

it might help to not give away the game so readily on things the show is intentionally being coy about in the show-watcher thread of all places

I'm not even sure how "the book addresses a thing" is a spoiler given how vague that is; but sure.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People really should just sit down and zip through the books before diving into the show. :lol:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tsob posted:

I'm not even sure how "the book addresses a thing" is a spoiler given how vague that is; but sure.

considering that the show is going to great lengths to make it more of an overt mystery as to who the dragon could be in multiple ways, it probably doesn't help to specifically point out that the show is now treating multiple characters as candidates for it that normally weren't in the books, because then it literally immediately just cuts off part of the pool for show watchers who wanted to be more surprised, especially when this most recent episode just made a point to make nynaeve come off as pretty important.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

withak posted:

People really should just sit down and zip through the books before diving into the show. :lol:

Nah people clearly are watching the show without having read the books and enjoying it a lot. I think that's fantastic, and that's why people who *have* read the books should talk about them in the other thread so they don't spoil things for folks who haven't.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Johnny Joestar posted:

considering that the show is going to great lengths to make it more of an overt mystery as to who the dragon could be in multiple ways, it probably doesn't help to specifically point out that the show is now treating multiple characters as candidates for it that normally weren't in the books, because then it literally immediately just cuts off part of the pool for show watchers who wanted to be more surprised, especially when this most recent episode just made a point to make nynaeve come off as pretty important.

Oh, I thought you meant the Warder thing. The bit you meant though has been discussed so casually on other pages with no complaints I just got the impression that people were okay with it, regardless of how much the show was trying to keep it a mystery. That I can definitely agree was a spoiler, and one I've even gone out of my way to avoid talking about in the past, but that the thread seemed weirdly okay with talking about at times.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ideally people wouldn't do it at all, but for all i know every one of the purely show watchers in the thread have already been ruined on something that the show will tell them in due time, anyways

mainly the thing is that this isn't like the lord of the rings movies where it's something as banal as 'yeah gandalf isn't actually dead, it's fine', there's a whole bunch of wild poo poo that ideally people who have never read the admittedly massive series will get a chance to be surprised by

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Nah people clearly are watching the show without having read the books and enjoying it a lot. I think that's fantastic, and that's why people who *have* read the books should talk about them in the other thread so they don't spoil things for folks who haven't.

The joke is that recommending that everyone read 15 (or however many there ended up being) massive doorstop novels, some of which are notably bad, before watching a tv show is silly.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

withak posted:

The joke is that recommending that everyone read 15 (or however many there ended up being) massive doorstop novels, some of which are notably bad, before watching a tv show is silly.

...who is doing that?

e: also the books are all really good, even book 10.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Johnny Joestar posted:

ideally people wouldn't do it at all, but for all i know every one of the purely show watchers in the thread have already been ruined on something that the show will tell them in due time, anyways

mainly the thing is that this isn't like the lord of the rings movies where it's something as banal as 'yeah gandalf isn't actually dead, it's fine', there's a whole bunch of wild poo poo that ideally people who have never read the admittedly massive series will get a chance to be surprised by

what! gandalf isn't dead?!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

How are u posted:

...who is doing that?

e: also the books are all really good, even book 10.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How are u posted:

even book 10.

Whoa let's not go crazy here