Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

book 10 sets up book 11 which is the best book. you kind of have to take your medicine with a series trying to pull off enormous poo poo that you're emotionally invested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Book 10 also still has some pretty great character moments that are fun, even if the overall plot doesn't progress as much as you'd like.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pleads posted:

Book 10 also still has some pretty great character moments that are fun, even if the overall plot doesn't progress as much as you'd like.

Indeed. And since all the books are published and one can immediately move onto book 11 when they finish book 10, it's not a big deal in the slightest. Maybe if one's attention span isn't really up for it I suppose, which is fair, there are people who out there who struggle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

...who is doing that?

e: also the books are all really good, even book 10.

It was me, I was doing it, as a joke.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

My hot take is that it is ok to like the books.
You're wrong, but we love you anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

book ten and book 11 are just one book and I will not be taking questions on this matter

especially in this thread

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just thinking about the fact Logain was active in Ghealdan, and it occurs to me as a bit weird that the show doesn't have a map somewhere in the prologue, opening, credits or something to help place viewers. There is a map on the Prime Video page for the show, but it's not great and your view of it is at an angle, while half the place names are so indistinct due to the angle/distance that they're basically illegible. It also only picks out a handful of places the cast have been or mentioned. Which is strange, since the books place maps right up front to allow readers to place themselves while reading.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It feels like they're intentionally trying to be a bit vague with locations - home is west, Tar Valon is east, and everything else is described in relation to that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tsob posted:

I've watched the back half of the episode, from Rand and Thom finding Mat in the farmhouse forward four times now I think, along with watching the last few minutes with Nynaeve a few more and listened to that song specifically on YouTube 5 or 6 times too. It's really, really good stuff. It's not even like the fight is the only good part of the episode either, because Ila's speech to Perrin about peace being the best revenge for violence and why she wants to make things better is fantastic as well, along with Lan and Nynaeve's conversation and flirting. It's just the whole battle scene is really well put together, and the music puts it over the top. Moiraine's conversation with Logain is great too; especially her dawning smile once she realizes that Logain isn't the Dragon because he personally wants things and is just letting the madness justify it or something (maybe the madness is pushing him to want things personally instead; there's selfishness there in some fashion though regardless).

come talk in the spoiler thread.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

This thread is just a retelling of the GoT threads

Is it? I dare you to make your effort post OPs for this show to make it so.

*I really liked them*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barreft posted:

Is it? I dare you to make your effort post OPs for this show to make it so.

*I really liked them*

I have a job now

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rarity posted:

Whoa let's not go crazy here

Book ten was fine. Getting book 10 and having to wait for book 11 to come out sucked. It's great now that you don't have to wait years in between books

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

There's something weird about the lightning in this show, it's like they've filmed it extremely bright or something. In some of the scenes it's like the sun is going super-nova and it looks like a stage set being lit by floodlights.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s weird seeing voldamort chasing these kids around.

It’s cool he got another gig though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's kind of weird discussing about the books in this specific thread, while there is another one done for the books....

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

It's kind of weird discussing about the books in this specific thread, while there is another one done for the books....

Seriously.
Book/TV Spoiler Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Enjoying the show so far. Actually like that maps and distances have been mostly left out since everything is exactly as far as needed for the plot to proceed anyway. I never finished the books so I hope that this series will finish the story for me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the gentling scene was good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

exmarx posted:

the gentling scene was good

It's like his heart exploded, it was way cool

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wedge Regret
Books are what make the mind pictures

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Re: Nynaeve pronunciation --

I finished the 8-hour drive back from Thanksgiving to find my roommate, the one who claims to have met Robert Jordan at his mansion and seen all his swords and artifacts and been told secret lore about the series on his deathbed and has a heron-marked sword among his prized possessions (and who keeps talking about getting dragon tattoos on his arms), watching the episode extremely loud in his room.

I heard Liandrin saying "Ni-knave", and my roommate immediately screamed "IT'S NINNY-AV!!!! YOU MOTHERFUCKERS"

And then he turned off the episode and started stomping around the house extremely drunk

(e: to be clear there is literally a pronunciation guide in the glossary which says "NIGH-neev"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Data Graham posted:

I finished the 8-hour drive back from Thanksgiving to find my roommate, the one who claims to have met Robert Jordan at his mansion and seen all his swords and artifacts and been told secret lore about the series on his deathbed and has a heron-marked sword among his prized possessions (and who keeps talking about getting dragon tattoos on his arms), watching the episode extremely loud in his room.

I heard Liandrin saying "Ni-knave", and my roommate immediately screamed "IT'S NINNY-AV!!!! YOU MOTHERFUCKERS"

And then he turned off the episode and started stomping around the house extremely drunk

(e: to be clear there is literally a pronunciation guide in the glossary which says "NIGH-neev"

dude sounds like he needs a loving backhand, do the needful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The fact that the episode made a poke-the-audience-in-the-eye joke out of it (which he probably didn't even hear) is the funniest thing in the world to me, I will take the joy of this moment to my grave

Anyway I understand the Perrin's wife thing now, because they were setting up the "axe" comment with the Tinkers as being an integral part of their pacifist philosophy. It's all snapping into place

e: Also I love that they bang on pots to signal that they're about to move on. That wasn't even in the books that I can recall and it's a perfect detail to add.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 27, 2021

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I'm so curious about this dude, I mean, fans did stop by Jim's house every so often and he often did welcome them in. He was a really nice man!

on-topic, This show is making me transcendentally happy

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

The fact that the episode made a poke-the-audience-in-the-eye joke out of it (which he probably didn't even hear) is the funniest thing in the world to me, I will take the joy of this moment to my grave

Anyway I understand the Perrin's wife thing now, because they were setting up the "axe" comment with the Tinkers as being an integral part of their pacifist philosophy. It's all snapping into place

e: Also I love that they bang on pots to signal that they're about to move on. That wasn't even in the books that I can recall and it's a perfect detail to add.

I have to wonder how "the way of the leaf" would work in such a dangerous setting. Seems like the tinkers would be wiped out fairly quickly but instead are shown as surviving for thousands of years traveling around with no protection.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I have to wonder how "the way of the leaf" would work in such a dangerous setting. Seems like the tinkers would be wiped out fairly quickly but instead are shown as surviving for thousands of years traveling around with no protection.
This bothers me a lot more in the show than it did in the book, ngl. Seeing them makes it more real how attractive a target they'd be for bandits.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

This bothers me a lot more in the show than it did in the book, ngl. Seeing them makes it more real how attractive a target they'd be for bandits.

I mean, in general they're not going to have anything of value. And while a local lordling might not be fans of tinkers, a bandit attack on them would still likely draw their ire just on general principles. So while the target themselves might not present any threat to you, you're still taking on risk for some potatos.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I mean, IRL Jains are basically the same way, and while they're few in number they do still exist.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Show continues to get better and I am loving it as a non-booker.

Woke up and had the episode playing immediately. I couldn't wait!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CainFortea posted:

I mean, in general they're not going to have anything of value. And while a local lordling might not be fans of tinkers, a bandit attack on them would still likely draw their ire just on general principles. So while the target themselves might not present any threat to you, you're still taking on risk for some potatos.

Also they do have those massive dogs as protection to scare people away

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Rarity posted:

Also they do have those massive dogs as protection to scare people away

There's also a whole implicit thing where the Tinkers have what amount to urban legends about them as stealing children and amassing gold, as per the grandson's ironic joking with Egwene, if they are seen by outsiders as bandits themselves, most bandits probably don't want to mess around with an entire organized caravan of people they think are also bandits???

Their practice of non-violence seems like something that is only really circulated within the clan, rather than a pubically known fact, hence the whole conversation with Perrin where these ideals are just coming to light

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's one thing to murder people so you can steal their money and valuables, but I figure you have to be a certain kind of evil in order to go to the trouble of tracking down, and murdering people you know don't own anything.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I came into this with very lowered expectations but I'm starting to get pretty hyped with what we've seen from the past two episodes. In particular I was definitely dubious about treating the Dragon thing as a big central mystery, but I feel like that decision has been handled surprisingly well so far.

My girlfriend is a non-booker and was fully convinced that it's going to be--or at least that it ought to be--Nynaeve after the Big Scene happened.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

I came into this with very lowered expectations but I'm starting to get pretty hyped with what we've seen from the past two episodes. In particular I was definitely dubious about treating the Dragon thing as a big central mystery, but I feel like that decision has been handled surprisingly well so far.

My girlfriend is a non-booker and was fully convinced that it's going to be--or at least that it ought to be--Nynaeve after the Big Scene happened.

Even way before the tv series, I always thought it was weird how little (nothing) RJ played the 'who is the Dragon Reborn?' angle in the first book. Moraine comes and says one of the three is the one pursued by the trollocs, but for the reader it's pretty clear who is the Main Character.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

King of Bleh posted:

Given that there are non-bookers in this very thread, maybe you shouldn't be implying that it's not Nynaeve.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Given that there are non-bookers in this very thread, maybe you shouldn't be implying that it's not Nynaeve.

Yeah man, you shouldn't specify what a vague post doesn't imply. :rolleyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Maybe if you think someone should spoiler something you should just PM them :thunkher:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would probably do that if that was even an option available to me, lol

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What if we stopped discussing changes from the books in the TV show thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It would be against the very nature of a goon to not discuss book comparisons and spoilers in a tv thread.