Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The very beginning of Nioh 2 is a big trap for people who can't refuse a challenge. That horse demon will paste you, it's a completely unfair fight and you don't know the mechanics to deal with it yet. You'll have plenty of opportunities to fight those guys later, just run past him and continue the level. Like, you literally fight one enemy before you can fight that mini boss, it's even more abrupt than the thing in Demon's Souls.

But also yes it just gets easier with more practice as you get used to the mechanics. Honestly, the one thing that annoys me in those games is how they prevent you from doing the dojo missions before certain points in the main story. That means you can't get the good ninjutsu/onmyo skills until you get past the hardest bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Begemot posted:

The very beginning of Nioh 2 is a big trap for people who can't refuse a challenge. That horse demon will paste you, it's a completely unfair fight and you don't know the mechanics to deal with it yet. You'll have plenty of opportunities to fight those guys later, just run past him and continue the level. Like, you literally fight one enemy before you can fight that mini boss, it's even more abrupt than the thing in Demon's Souls.

But also yes it just gets easier with more practice as you get used to the mechanics. Honestly, the one thing that annoys me in those games is how they prevent you from doing the dojo missions before certain points in the main story. That means you can't get the good ninjutsu/onmyo skills until you get past the hardest bosses.

To be fair the game does spell out for you in big letters on the screen to run past him.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I wanted to like Nioh 2, but coming from Souls games, I found the controls too complicated with way too much to remember. Even the tutorial cave thing was super frustrating for me. I’ve never been good with that sort of thing and just don’t have the patience for it these days.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
With the new FFXIV expansion coming out next Friday, these sales will almost be a non-event for me. That said, I've grabbed Wooden Ocean (the weird user+dev review combo game) and so far it seems the right kind of weird. It's 25% off right now.

Make sure to pick up Cat in the Box if you haven't already. If you ran out of other RPGMaker horror games, this one will satisfy the urge for one long evening.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I sigh and begin to play Hollow Knight again as it's sitting in my brain, I figure it's worth asking: is there anything on steam that feels like Hollow Knight? Besides Rain World I think. It doesn't have to be a metroidvania, but - well, stuff like this.

Games containing stuff like this in any combination:

- bugs
- exploring a ruined place
- great exploration with lots of incentive to peek everywhere
- satisfying combat

Do NOT say Dark Souls

Grime!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I dislike souls games, or really I dislike a lot of the things they do to create the deliberate experience and tone they aim for, but really enjoyed the technical execution aspect of Nioh 2. While I respect that souls movelists do more with less, sometimes I just wanna flip out and stance switch three times in the middle of building up a punchfist combo move switching self buff. And when I don't, I can switch to odachi.

Also it doesn't make grouping with friends and having a huge drunk idiot party a weirdly arbitrary hassle.

I just think the levels are generally too long by half.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I sigh and begin to play Hollow Knight again as it's sitting in my brain, I figure it's worth asking: is there anything on steam that feels like Hollow Knight? Besides Rain World I think. It doesn't have to be a metroidvania, but - well, stuff like this.

- bugs
- satisfying combat

Do NOT say Dark Souls
I recommend watching Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds. Both Ori games are ok, tick a lot of those boxes but very different tone and despite high effort HK is just way better.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Play more rain world is my advice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

Play more rain world is my advice

i want to try to beat that game again, it bugs me that i petered out last just before a critical point last time i tried it (i spoiled myself because i was maddeningly frustrated with the game by then)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

StrixNebulosa posted:

- bugs
- satisfying combat

Do NOT say Dark Souls

Seconding GRIME

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This might be a bit too far off, but Everhood’s surrealism lived in the same “weird world that follows different rules” brain space as Hollow Knight for me. I also found the flipped-rhythm gameplay fun and challenging and it didn’t overstay its welcome for the main game, though I didn’t go back for completionism.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 26, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love Sundered but it's more of an atmospheric mob smasher than an elegantly constructed bespoke world with tightly tuned combat and exploration

if you dig weird vibes like Returnal and exploring a mystery after everything has already gone to hell you might dig it though

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up the Pathfinder games found a site selling the new one for 37. Also picked up Magical Girl Diary Wolf Hall, Castlevania Advance Collection, UnMetal, Tales of Arise, Persona 5 Strikers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Sonic Colors and Hyrule Warriors.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Random question. Has anyone made a step platformer/cinematic platformer since Another World?
Those games were so good but I haven't seen anything like it since.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Random question. Has anyone made a step platformer/cinematic platformer since Another World?

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee + Exoddus, kind of

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee + Exoddus, kind of

Oh yeah, I forgot about those games. You're right.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jack Trades posted:

The same dev behind Another World ended up making Heart of Darkness. It has a lot of shooting at the start, but the kid ends up losing the gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONIn3xdHP4&t=418s
(gameplay starts 7 minutes in)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 26, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

If you're talking about modern games and you don't mind Flashback instead of Another World and the fact that it's not out yet (though there is a demo), there's an indie game called LUNARK pretty much doing a straight copy of those type of games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1050370/LUNARK/

In terms of other modern games, maybe Rain World would count? And then of course there are games like LIMBO, INSIDE, Little Nightmares I+II, maybe Deadlight or MO:Astray, I dunno. I'm assuming you've already played the old ones like Heart of Darkness, Abes Odyssey, Prince of Persia (and Flashback as mentioned).

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 26, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Despite having finally made progress on my backlog, I'm tempted to buy a bunch of games from the ongoing sale. Wanted to ask about a couple of things, though.

First thing that caught my eye was Red Dead Redemption 2 ($29.99). I remember the PC port had issues at launch, but I remember hearing they got patched out. Still, I wanted to ask if there are any performance issues with it (Recommended Sys Reqs are the i7-4770K and NVIDIA GTX 1060. I've got i7-4790K and the GTX 1070, but I've always been leery of Rockstar ports since GTA4, so it makes me wonder if you actually need something more powerful.)

Next is No Man's Sky ($29.99), which I know has made a big comeback since its disastrous launch. That said, I've not seen any gameplay of it, so I don't know what it entails. Is it just sort of 'endless' game where you explore, craft, and mess around, or is there a main campaign/story to puruse?

Going through my wishlist, I saw that I had Journey to the Savage Planet ($11.99) saved to it. Same sort of question as with NMS: is is just a game where you craft and mess around or is there a story. Fake Edit: Took a look at the Steam reviews, and the top listed review mention there is a plot, but it's not really well executed, and that the game is on the short side, and just kind of ends with no fanfare. Still, I thought I'd ask about what the thread consensus was on it.

Up next is Persona 5 Strikers, which was something I was thinking about getting when it went on sale. I played through Persona 5 (the original release, not Royal) a few years ago and loved it, and was excited to see that it got a Musou game. I'm curious, though as to how it compares to other Musou games. Last Musou game that I played (and actually still need to finish) was Warriors Orochi 3. The reviews for it make it sounds like it's pretty good, though I don't know if it requires you to be familiar with the new additions to Royal, which I've not played.

I was looking the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes Collection, but I remember Frogwares was having some legal trouble where they weren't getting any money off of their games or something. I was wondering if that ever got addressed.

A game I've had on my wishlist for a while is Stasis, which I added because I saw it compared to Sanitarium (the adventure game from '97).

There's more stuff on my list, but that's just what I'm thinking about at the moment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Despite having finally made progress on my backlog, I'm tempted to buy a bunch of games from the ongoing sale. Wanted to ask about a couple of things, though.

First thing that caught my eye was Red Dead Redemption 2 ($29.99). I remember the PC port had issues at launch, but I remember hearing they got patched out. Still, I wanted to ask if there are any performance issues with it (Recommended Sys Reqs are the i7-4770K and NVIDIA GTX 1060. I've got i7-4790K and the GTX 1070, but I've always been leery of Rockstar ports since GTA4, so it makes me wonder if you actually need something more powerful.)

Next is No Man's Sky ($29.99), which I know has made a big comeback since its disastrous launch. That said, I've not seen any gameplay of it, so I don't know what it entails. Is it just sort of 'endless' game where you explore, craft, and mess around, or is there a main campaign/story to puruse?

Going through my wishlist, I saw that I had Journey to the Savage Planet ($11.99) saved to it. Same sort of question as with NMS: is is just a game where you craft and mess around or is there a story. Fake Edit: Took a look at the Steam reviews, and the top listed review mention there is a plot, but it's not really well executed, and that the game is on the short side, and just kind of ends with no fanfare. Still, I thought I'd ask about what the thread consensus was on it.

Up next is Persona 5 Strikers, which was something I was thinking about getting when it went on sale. I played through Persona 5 (the original release, not Royal) a few years ago and loved it, and was excited to see that it got a Musou game. I'm curious, though as to how it compares to other Musou games. Last Musou game that I played (and actually still need to finish) was Warriors Orochi 3. The reviews for it make it sounds like it's pretty good, though I don't know if it requires you to be familiar with the new additions to Royal, which I've not played.

I was looking the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes Collection, but I remember Frogwares was having some legal trouble where they weren't getting any money off of their games or something. I was wondering if that ever got addressed.

A game I've had on my wishlist for a while is Stasis, which I added because I saw it compared to Sanitarium (the adventure game from '97).

There's more stuff on my list, but that's just what I'm thinking about at the moment.

No Man's Sky is like a world record achievement in turning around a overhyped flat game into a massively rich and varied content experience that continues to get free updates. There's some kind of main story now, like a mystery or something that people seem to really like.

It is mostly a exploration/crafting simulator though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reminder that nioh 2’s multiplayer is actually extremely good and it makes the game much easier. I played it as an (almost) 100% multiplayer experience from start to finish with my brother and we progressed from initial uncertainty about how much we’d play, to completing three NG+ cycles with plans to go back and do the fourth playthrough to see what this Underworld zone that opens up after NG+++ is all about

I’m certain I would have found the game infuriating and had a much lesser opinion of it if I had tried to play it singleplayer, but in Expeditions multiplayer with a teammate on voice chat? great game. It has some very impressive netcode considering how fast-paced it is. After 150 hours of multiplayer, I’ve never once felt like I got screwed by something netcode-related. Makes the netcode in the souls games look like an absolute joke by comparison.

Expeditions multiplayer is much less frustrating than singleplayer because you effectively get a shared set of lives for a mission and the faster you revive your teammate after they’re downed, the more lives you have. this really takes a lot of the edge off of those times where you suddenly get 2-tapped and die from full health in half a second. The only problem with playing the game this way is there’s a handful of optional duel missions which are singleplayer-only so you have to do them on your own time, you don’t get as much exposition text so the story is a bit harder to follow, and NPCs you can talk to within missions don’t deliver their lines consistently for both players. But these are quibbles and multiplayer nioh 2 is definitely one of the best unexpected surprises I enjoyed this year

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Despite all of the updates (that are actually surprisingly good) and despite trying it in VR which is cool, I just can't enjoy No Man's Sky. It has the absolute worst UI I've ever seen in a game and there's not really anything to do in it except fly around and see what kind of procgen stuff gets created. Unfortunately the novelty of that wore off for me back in the java minecraft days.

And there's some kind of bizarre je ne sais quois about it that is totally subjective and I don't know how to fully explain but it feels so hollow, it gives me uncanny valley type vibes where it's so close to feeling like a "game" but somehow it just misses... virtually every fundamental thing about games and what makes them fun and engaging that it feels like a weird mockery of a videogame. I can't help but feel bad about how much time and effort they put into such a fundamentally broken and soulless product.

e: Absolutely do not go into NMS expecting a story or you will experience true disappointment. The "cool twist" people talk about is, and I'm not even going to spoiler this because of how dumb it is: The entire universe is a simulation ran by an AI and it breaks the 4th wall to imply that the reason the game sucked at launch is because the AI didn't know what it was doing yet, but by playing the game you help the AI get better at simulating universes. That's it. There's no further conclusion to be gleaned from it, no characters or plot, the only other thing you find out is that Uhh, you find out that the AI was created by an unknown entity who left long ago, and that you are the AI's attempt to recreate the creator. That's literally it. Then you choose to let the AI keep running simulations or end the simulations but the simulations end 16 minutes after the game takes place anyway so it doesn't matter what you choose. The entire plotline is a pandering attempt to wave away the game's poor launch state as an intended in-universe planned thing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 26, 2021

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

The same dev behind Another World ended up making Heart of Darkness. It has a lot of shooting at the start, but the kid ends up losing the gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONIn3xdHP4&t=418s
(gameplay starts 7 minutes in)

That's one of my favorite game grumps playthroughs

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Question: are you getting wrecked by normal enemies or are you grinding your face into the giant ox demon Gozuki? Because you can just run past that guy.

I have seen many people get fixated on the Gozuki and get frustrated, but the game straight up tells you that you don't have to fight every enemy once you die to him a couple times.

Edit: It's a good idea to put some points into constitution for more HP. Every stat will increase your HP by some amount but constitution gives the most (and stamina the second-most)

Also, one thing that got me killed a lot early on was Souls game muscle memory making me try to dodge out of enemy combos, which doesn't work. You have to block instead.

I passed that guy, then fought two more little pawns, and then ran into what seems to be a roadblock where some big demon guy comes out of a big swirly circle when I get close. That dude kills me in 2-3 hits. It doesn't seem like I'm supposed to run by him.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This game is finally on sale.

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1464341966230020097?s=21

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Northern Journey lost me. The difficulty is all over the place, the combat is most of the time just tedious, interspersed with boss fights that seem to be designed around bunny hopping and circle strafing, only you have single-shot weapons that have long wind up animations and slow projectiles. It's the diving section though that broke me, can't see poo poo, don't know where to go, get attacked through the ground I'm walking on basically. I'm genuinely sad, the first five hours or so I thought this would be in the running for my game of the year.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FuzzySlippers posted:

I passed that guy, then fought two more little pawns, and then ran into what seems to be a roadblock where some big demon guy comes out of a big swirly circle when I get close. That dude kills me in 2-3 hits. It doesn't seem like I'm supposed to run by him.

Ah yeah, your supposed to fight the demon monkey. They can be tough, you can get hits in after avoiding their jumping attacks or their combos. The middle and lower statics dodge is great for that, you don't roll, you just kinda shift, makes it easier to get attacks in.

Also, I don't think the game tells you this yet, but when it does an attack where its eyes turn red in a kind of flash, you can counter that. Hit RT + B (or the equivalent) and you'll do a special move depending on your yokai shift type. Blue is a dash forward, purple is a shield, and red you hit them with a big club (I think red is the easiest to use).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exo One is pretty great for what it is and what it's doing

Leldorion
Jan 26, 2007

FutureCop posted:

If you're talking about modern games and you don't mind Flashback instead of Another World and the fact that it's not out yet (though there is a demo), there's an indie game called LUNARK pretty much doing a straight copy of those type of games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1050370/LUNARK/

In terms of other modern games, maybe Rain World would count? And then of course there are games like LIMBO, INSIDE, Little Nightmares I+II, maybe Deadlight or MO:Astray, I dunno. I'm assuming you've already played the old ones like Heart of Darkness, Abes Odyssey, Prince of Persia (and Flashback as mentioned).

If you can stand CGA there's also Eternal Castle. Oh and Limbo and Inside are both decent if a little less alien/exploration heavy.

Leldorion fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 26, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Begemot posted:

Ah yeah, your supposed to fight the demon monkey. They can be tough, you can get hits in after avoiding their jumping attacks or their combos. The middle and lower statics dodge is great for that, you don't roll, you just kinda shift, makes it easier to get attacks in.

Also, I don't think the game tells you this yet, but when it does an attack where its eyes turn red in a kind of flash, you can counter that. Hit RT + B (or the equivalent) and you'll do a special move depending on your yokai shift type. Blue is a dash forward, purple is a shield, and red you hit them with a big club (I think red is the easiest to use).

This is one of those dark souls kind of things where he seems really tough at first and then later on he becomes a relatively common enemy that you clown on repeatedly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

And there's some kind of bizarre je ne sais quois about it that is totally subjective and I don't know how to fully explain but it feels so hollow, it gives me uncanny valley type vibes where it's so close to feeling like a "game" but somehow it just misses... virtually every fundamental thing about games and what makes them fun and engaging that it feels like a weird mockery of a videogame. I can't help but feel bad about how much time and effort they put into such a fundamentally broken and soulless product.

For me, that missing element was how the game gives the player so many tools and mechanics with which to leave their mark on a world but never provides any reason to return (and actively makes it almost impossible to find a specific spot unless you use one of your 5 beacons).

I had an incredible time exploring my first 3 systems and naming animals and cool vistas and then my heart broke a little when I realized that the game intended that I leave and never re-visit those places. From then on every new world was "oh hey, that's neat. I can probably find the same thing some other place, no reason to stick around.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is one of those dark souls kind of things where he seems really tough at first and then later on he becomes a relatively common enemy that you clown on repeatedly.

Yeah, and enemies inside of those swirly smoke things are always tougher than normal ones. It's just like that first yoki in Nioh 1, it has more health than the normal ones you fight later in that same mission.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Northern Journey lost me. The difficulty is all over the place, the combat is most of the time just tedious, interspersed with boss fights that seem to be designed around bunny hopping and circle strafing, only you have single-shot weapons that have long wind up animations and slow projectiles. It's the diving section though that broke me, can't see poo poo, don't know where to go, get attacked through the ground I'm walking on basically. I'm genuinely sad, the first five hours or so I thought this would be in the running for my game of the year.

I got through these parts but I can totally feel you. It feels to me too that some of the set pieces in the later (?) part of the game are just needlessly tedious and difficult, like the spot you mentioned. One was just earlier in the same area with the dragonflies. If you want to try again just keep following the pipe, blast your air flash (?) constantly to keep the little zombies at bay and keep looking back, the Nekk will follow you and you have to keep scaring him off. He will also follow you to the bottom, which I missed the first time and just thought I'm taking damage from the broken capsule leak.

I'm currently stuck at the fight with the witch in Sourwood and it doesn't feel good to run and dodge the attacks on such a narrow area.

I kinda feel like the game would've been better as an adventure game with exploration and a lot less combat, since the characters, the setting, world and the atmosphere is its greatest strength, the janky combat not so much. For example I loved the little forest rave thing with the band, the surly inventor and basically everything that's going on in the village. (Petworm! Come back!)

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Max Wilco posted:

It's an endless game, with the developers continually iterating on it. Recently they added settlement management. Before that they added the ability to mount and ride the procedurally-generated animals. Before that they added a fleet that you control and can order onto missions.

Each new feature is relatively shallow, but well enough made that if you enjoy the core explore-craft loop of No Man's Sky, you get more ways to do it.

The best way I can describe it is it's like if Minecraft and the Space stage in Spore hosed, miscarried, then adopted Elite: Dangerous.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I was thinking of picking up Spectacular Sparky because it looks cool, but I noticed it's published by Nicalis. I remember they hosed over the guy who made Cave Story, should I still be wary of giving them money?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pwnstar posted:

Denuvo is bad because whenever I buy a new game and am trying to look up where to find the Sword of Elagabalus the only information on forums is drowned out by 100 tedious dudes screaming BOYCOTT THIS GAME AND TEACH THE DEVS A LESSON.

i don't hate it with the passion of a thousand burning suns or anything, but it's just an extra hit when there are so many games on sale and your cart $$$ keep stacking up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

It's an incredibly mediocre first person Metroidvania brought down by terrible writing and I personally feel the developers didn't really "get" how to make one of those beyond the bare basics. Like all of your core upgrades actually come from harvesting resources and then plugging them into your ship, and also if you die you drop your resources Dark Souls style for no reason other than somebody on the dev team played Dark Souls once.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of metroidvanias what's the deal with Unsighted? I've heard a lot of really glowing impressions and recommendations, but looking at some gameplay footage on youtube it looks like a super-generic indie anime platformer. Is it just one of those deals where it's lackluster art hiding super-neat mechanics?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Would anyone recommend Poker Quest or Library of Ruina (or anti-recommend, as it were)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of metroidvanias what's the deal with Unsighted? I've heard a lot of really glowing impressions and recommendations, but looking at some gameplay footage on youtube it looks like a super-generic indie anime platformer. Is it just one of those deals where it's lackluster art hiding super-neat mechanics?

It's very good. Closer to a cross between hyper light drifter and zelda than metroid. It does have a timer mechanic that might stress you out though.