Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I watched The Spine of Night last night and holy poo poo do I recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hey you've got to hide your posts away

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

*me humming to myself as I put up drywall to support my staircase and children's second-floor bedrooms* "da, doo doo da da, isn't it good, Groverhaus wood"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked Yoko’s solo album. It was pretty unique for the time and influenced a lot of music I also enjoyed.

But yes, she’s A Bit Much.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

I am not convinced Ringo Starr is functionally literate

He's a good artist though

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The Beatles is so fundamental to like every band currently around that they remind me of a Bob Odenkirk joke about how The Gap should just be called “Clothes.” Most music seems to be on a Beatles spectrum, either approaching or going away. I guess you can say that about whatever and I’m just a big idiot though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Captain Magic posted:

The Beatles is so fundamental to like every band currently around that they remind me of a Bob Odenkirk joke about how The Gap should just be called “Clothes.” Most music seems to be on a Beatles spectrum, either approaching or going away. I guess you can say that about whatever and I’m just a big idiot though.

Do they really have much influence nowadays? Guitar music is kind of off in a side room from the mainstream party these days & while it's far from dead it's definitely as irrelevant to the mainstream of popular music as it has been in decades.

I'd imagine Kraftwerk would be a far bigger influence/reference point for the reams of electronic music around today.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

And then you get into Brian Wilson and Pet Sounds and that's a whole new conversation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Suicide is the most influential band for modern music.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Suicide is the most influential band for modern music.

Really excited for Taylor Swift covering Frankie Teardrop

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It would rule

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The Beatles may not be influential to a lot of artists in a super direct sense where someone like Dua Lipa will call John Lennon an influence or you will listen to If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power and tell Halsey was listening to a lot of Rubber Soul when she wrote and produced it, but the Fab 4 are definitely gonna be in those artists' musical pedigree whether they realize it or not. Like that Halsey album was produced by Reznor/Ross, and NiN was inspired by the Clash, and the Clash wouldn't exist without Helter Skelter.

But by that sense the Beatles also wouldn't exist without Chuck Barry or Roy Orbison, so I suppose everyone can argue that if you go back far enough, all artists owe their musical legacy to Bung, the first Paleolithic man to hit two sticks together rhytmically.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

big shout outs to bung

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

“I was much more affected by Freddie Mercury’s death than by Lennon’s”, said Trent Reznor in 1992. But what would the first death be without the other?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

yea ok posted:

big shout outs to bung

So glad to see Bung finally getting his just recognition :hellyeah:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkj3ljFGs8

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Bluedeanie posted:

The Beatles may not be influential to a lot of artists in a super direct sense where someone like Dua Lipa will call John Lennon an influence or you will listen to If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power and tell Halsey was listening to a lot of Rubber Soul when she wrote and produced it, but the Fab 4 are definitely gonna be in those artists' musical pedigree whether they realize it or not. Like that Halsey album was produced by Reznor/Ross, and NiN was inspired by the Clash, and the Clash wouldn't exist without Helter Skelter.

But by that sense the Beatles also wouldn't exist without Chuck Barry or Roy Orbison, so I suppose everyone can argue that if you go back far enough, all artists owe their musical legacy to Bung, the first Paleolithic man to hit two sticks together rhytmically.

Yeah this was kind of my point. And I agree that it does get kind of reductive after a while.

I don’t even really like the Beatles so idfk. I like Eleanor Rigby.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’m just a big fan of those four lads from Liverpool

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kraftwerk were listening to the Beatles when they started booping the boxes. And their pre-electronic days draw largely from the same creative pool that spawned the Beatles. Esp in the 60s, the Beatles were a global presence.

People also forget it the was the Beatles and Rolling Stones that launched the first wave of "garage bands" and the roots of punk.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

Kraftwerk were listening to the Beatles when they started booping the boxes. And their pre-electronic days draw largely from the same creative pool that spawned the Beatles. Esp in the 60s, the Beatles were a global presence.

People also forget it the was the Beatles and Rolling Stones that launched the first wave of "garage bands" and the roots of punk.

People forget that Lonnie Donegan & the whole skiffle scene democratised music and made it seem something viable to get involved with for a bunch of working class lads from Liverpool.

If we're going back to "everyone was influenced by someone influenced by The Beatles" then why stop there? Why not go back to Buddy Holly? And then Hank Williams and then whoever influenced whoever influenced Hank & so on back to west Africans before the Atlantic Triangle was a thing?

Or yeah, to Bung.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

We have reached the point where we all start saying the same thing as each other, but phrased slightly differently, and we are all nodding at ourselves when we post that and shaking our heads at the other people posting the same, slightly reworded, thing. Our posting influence is Pitchfork, although the case can be made that ultimately it is really Rolling Stone Magazine

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

rip

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It’s all about the BUNG

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Yumi's Cells is a real relaxing watch.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i respect the ending of that drama, or dorama, if you will. that's all i'll say. i'll say one more thing. I'm brave for certain things I do or believe. that's all i'll say.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

i respect the ending of that drama, or dorama, if you will. that's all i'll say. i'll say one more thing. I'm brave for certain things I do or believe. that's all i'll say.

If it matches the webtoon that it was modeled after, then that's ok. k dramas are my comfort junk food. Along with actual junk food.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm being tried to become saying a spoiler but i won't do it. the second post of this thread rings true as the day it was born

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I found out recently that Eric Clapton didn’t actually murder his infant son, it was just something my parents joked about so I thought it was real.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phil Collins definitely wrote a song as part of a sting operation to guilt a concertgoer into confessing to a murder while police waited in the wings to arrest him, though. :hmmyes:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I always thought it was a baby but that kid was 4, clumsy little fella. poo poo was a motherfuckin suicide. clapton's an rear end in a top hat, though, so it's still a hoot to yak about

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I found out recently that Eric Clapton didn’t actually murder his infant son, it was just something my parents joked about so I thought it was real.

wasn't it?

I must be strong
And carry on
'Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

He did however go into a big rant quoting a National Front (a far-right movement in the UK in the 70s & 80s) at a concert, which includes enough racist slurs that I won't copy it here but the opening bit was "Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country." Class banter.

Still enjoy his work with the Blues Breakers & Cream though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I saw some article about Clapton's COVID denialism bullshit recently which included a quote about he'd finally started talking about politics which made me laugh given that rant.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

what the gently caress Clapton.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

His opinions are undefenestrensable

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm glad all the kdramas always talk about either brahms or michael jackson, if they mention music, instead of that rear end hole

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Duane Allman was the only good thing on Layla.

And the piano part from the drummer who killed is own mother.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t trade in the “problematic guy was always a bad artist anyway” poo poo but Clapton, my god

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stevie Ray Vaughn was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

coconono posted:

Stevie Ray Vaughn was better.

:hmmyes: