Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey guys, remember this beautiful monstrosity?

So, uh, where could one go to acquire a keycap set for that thing without breaking the bank?

How weird do you want it? Very weird? Here's 3lbs of random keycaps for $45:
https://pimpmykeyboard.com/grab-bags/

edit: oh when I allowed some more of their domains I see it's out of stock. Still would be funny.

For a real answer there's a lot of 122 key sets available but you do need to be mindful of the row shapes when buying one with extra caps. A lot of the extra keys are just replacements for particular rows. The price will really depend on the color, material, and extra keys.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Thanks. I actually prefer extremely not weird... as weird as that may seem.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This guy's got a youtube video about just general keycap buying that's not bad (coming from someone who usually gets keycaps for $40 or less from drop or amazon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKZY90wWLg

I think there'll probably be more specific advice from posters who are into the whole scene, but just bear in mind that for that board you're essentially looking for 104 keys but then also there's 10 left hand keys and 9 more above the top fkey row. I think it's traditional to use the number key/fkey row profile for additional fkeys above it, but the left side could either be matched to row profiles or not depending on how you want it to look or feel.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Epomaker has a sale going on that has their numpad with hot swap for about 90. Any other places that sell that sort of set up that is recommended ?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thanks. I actually prefer extremely not weird... as weird as that may seem.

That particular set is the OSA Marrs set.

https://kbdfans.com/products/osa-marrs-green-pbt-doubleshot-keycaps-set

In general, if you want decent cheap keycaps, kbdfans is your bet.

SPEAKING OF.

Did I miss anyone? PM me if you're still interested in a Sweet Business and I haven't contacted you back with the following important informaion:

- PCBs are ordered.
- I have the microcontrollers.
- Saturnine Aberrance's Boba U4Ts are on order now.
- Same with Eric the Mauve's Cherry Clears.
- I've scheduled time on the fiber laser and have the aluminum sheets to manufacture plates.
- I've designed my own rotary encoder knobs for this project! They'll be printed in Sirayatech Build Black.

e: For anyone interested who HADN'T contacted me before, pricing is as follows:

With switches and aluminum two-plate case: $250
If you provide your own switches and I assemble them onto the board for you: $200
Without switches (except of course the NKK toggles and EC11-type switched encoders): $150

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 24, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ringo Star Get posted:

Epomaker has a sale going on that has their numpad with hot swap for about 90. Any other places that sell that sort of set up that is recommended ?

Adafruit do a Raspberry Pi hotswap macropad with a dial and display for like £50. I got the Pimoroni one and I'm loving it but I want that dial.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is there a way to get the extra F keycaps short of paying out the nose for a custom order or just buying two complete sets?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there a way to get the extra F keycaps short of paying out the nose for a custom order or just buying two complete sets?

This is the exact keyset that the original Sweet Business commissioner ordered, and contains all the caps you see on the first unit.

https://www.amazon.com/BGKYPRO-Keycaps-Mechanical-Keyboards-Layout-Green/dp/B09CTPQQQ3/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

This is the exact keyset that the original Sweet Business commissioner ordered, and contains all the caps you see on the first unit.

https://www.amazon.com/BGKYPRO-Keycaps-Mechanical-Keyboards-Layout-Green/dp/B09CTPQQQ3/

That set only has three F1 keys, they clearly didn't account for people that are going to need four F1 keys

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

nitsuga posted:

My K6 has been working pretty well. RTings has a review on the C1 here: https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/keychron/c1

The K6 got similar remarks, and I’d agree with them on wanting a wrist rest for the board, especially if you’re planning on using it for work. But otherwise it’s been kind of a hoot to type on, and switching (via Bluetooth) between my MacBook Pro for work and PC for everything else has not been too troublesome.

As for solder-less or not, it depends on whether or not you think you might want to swap switches. It’s not entirely frivolous, especially if you think you might want to experiment. I went with a soldered version, but I don’t really plan on switching them often. I’ve also got a soldering iron and don’t mind a little extra work here and there. At least I say that now.

I appreciate it! I may want to experiment and getting new switches instead of a new keyboard seems a little less expensive so I'll probably go for a hot-swappable one.

For a wrist rest, is the Keychron one about what should be shooting for or are other ones cheaper and about the same height and comfort? I don't particularly care about it fitting perfectly with the keyboard as long as it's not so small that it's less useful or so long that it takes up an extra like six inches on each side.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

sugar free jazz posted:

I appreciate it! I may want to experiment and getting new switches instead of a new keyboard seems a little less expensive so I'll probably go for a hot-swappable one.

For a wrist rest, is the Keychron one about what should be shooting for or are other ones cheaper and about the same height and comfort? I don't particularly care about it fitting perfectly with the keyboard as long as it's not so small that it's less useful or so long that it takes up an extra like six inches on each side.

I picked up one of these wrist rests recently. I thought the divots might bother me but I really like it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJ6YR38/

It fits almost perfectly in front of the Keychron C1 (I put in speed coppers and got new keycaps). Pardon the dust it's the setup on PC #3 and I'm reorganizing stuff and it's gotten everywhere.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

nitsuga posted:

As for solder-less or not, it depends on whether or not you think you might want to swap switches. It’s not entirely frivolous, especially if you think you might want to experiment. I went with a soldered version, but I don’t really plan on switching them often. I’ve also got a soldering iron and don’t mind a little extra work here and there. At least I say that now.

I have only ever seen one keyboard that properly supports the hotswap sockets, preventing them from having drive-out issues that can lift traces on the board. That would be the Djinn.

It's the second reason Hard Light and Sweet Business don't use hotswap. The first is that it's easier to have a switch footprint that covers MX, Choc, and Alps all in one without them.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I noticed there's no compiled list of keyboard related BFCM sales so I decided to start putting one together myself. Its not extensive but covers most of the major vendors.

Novelkeys - 12:00am EST Friday, Nov. 26th and run until 11:59pm EST Monday, Nov. 29th

Keycaps, desk mats, switches and accessories

Cannon Keys - Sales every week until end of year

Nov 26th at 00:00 ET to December 2nd 23:59 ET OR Until Sold Out
Savage65 C Stock Keyboard Bundle - $179.99
• Savage65 C Stock + Stabilizers + Raeds or Naevy Switch + NicePBT BoW or Greyscale

Nov 26th at 00:00 ET
WKL DevastatingTKL (Special Anodization) - $324.99
• Very limited quantity, in stock, featuring a new finishing technique.

Nov 27th at 11:00AM ET
Cornelius Extras - Starting at $480
• In stock extras, FCFS

Divinikey - Friday 00:01AM PST, November 26th

15% off all in-stock items

KBDFans - in about an hour

Various coupon codes for $3-40 off your purchase
10-15% off select DIY kits, cases and keycaps

The Key Company - 12:00am EST Friday November 26th and will expire at 11:59pm EST

Various keyboard/key cap/desk mat bundles

Keychron - 11/26 12am EST - 11/29 11:59pm EST
Per their Instagram

20% off site-wide

Glorious - 11/26 12am EST doorbuster deals

Bundles of their Full size, TLK and Mini models
Other unlisted discounts ("Some new products are excluded...")

Drop - Happening now

Various Drop keyboards and keycaps including GMK Laser for $110

Omnitype - Now until 11/29 11:59pm EST

Spend $50 and get a free mystery gift worth $15 - 185 (including GMK sets). Not much left to spend $50 on unless you want a bunch of desk mats.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 25, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm running a 13% discount on all of my FR4 plates for the NK65, KBD67 Lite, GMMK Pro, and the KBDPad. Discount runs until December 1st.

There's also an always-active discount using code GOON at checkout for an additional $4.20 off.

You can get 'em right here: https://avxworks.com/

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Exit Strategy posted:

It's the second reason Hard Light and Sweet Business don't use hotswap. The first is that it's easier to have a switch footprint that covers MX, Choc, and Alps all in one without them.

i want you to design a keyboard called 1000 voices just to see what it would do.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.upgradekeyboards.com/on-sale/

Upgrade Keyboards has a few things on sale. Good if you're looking for an entry level keyboard or some gateron switches

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i want you to design a keyboard called 1000 voices just to see what it would do.

I appreciate that you caught the theme. One Thousand Voices would have to include full audio support and multiple solenoids for artificial "clicky" feedback. The solenoids would fire down so that the board jumps while you type

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Exit Strategy posted:

I appreciate that you caught the theme. One Thousand Voices would have to include full audio support and multiple solenoids for artificial "clicky" feedback. The solenoids would fire down so that the board jumps while you type

Ill take one, as long as you make the Anarchy which includes metallic shift keys that electrocute you when you touch them both at the same time.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ill take one, as long as you make the Anarchy which includes metallic shift keys that electrocute you when you touch them both at the same time.

My current project is the Karnstein Armlet, a miniaturized Hard Light circuit tied directly to a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with a battery, touchscreen, and additional radios. For network pentesting.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rexxed posted:

This guy's got a youtube video about just general keycap buying that's not bad (coming from someone who usually gets keycaps for $40 or less from drop or amazon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKZY90wWLg

I think there'll probably be more specific advice from posters who are into the whole scene, but just bear in mind that for that board you're essentially looking for 104 keys but then also there's 10 left hand keys and 9 more above the top fkey row. I think it's traditional to use the number key/fkey row profile for additional fkeys above it, but the left side could either be matched to row profiles or not depending on how you want it to look or feel.

I don't like Hipyo. His vids are just clickbaity bullshit.
This is the guy that suggests you fill your keyboard and spacebar with Play Doh, so I'd take his advice with a big grain of salt.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

That's one way to go from designing keyboards to working at a car manufacturer, like, say, BMW. :D

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Glorious has 25% off their Glorious Panda switches. Anyone have an opinion on those vs. Boba U4T?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Glorious has 25% off their Glorious Panda switches. Anyone have an opinion on those vs. Boba U4T?

I think U4Ts are better pretty much in every way. U4Ts have tighter housings, stronger tactility, and they don't have the leaf ping that the GPs do. Bobas are also really good for making other switches by swapping stems, so they're pretty useful down the road if you want to change them up a bit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

I think U4Ts are better pretty much in every way. U4Ts have tighter housings, stronger tactility, and they don't have the leaf ping that the GPs do. Bobas are also really good for making other switches by swapping stems, so they're pretty useful down the road if you want to change them up a bit.
Funny you mention this because I thought I had lubed and filmed U4t's in my Garbage Truck.
Much to my surprise, when I pulled thespacebar I realized they were completely stock.

They're just so smooth and so tight they really do not need modifying. The tactility is nice and crisp too.

Glorious pandas are really only good for making holy pandas.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks guys! I'll skip the Glorious Pandas and go forward with the U4Ts.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

mariooncrack posted:

Glorious pandas are good for only one thing, which is taking the stems out and making almost-holy bobas with the Boba housing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't like Hipyo. His vids are just clickbaity bullshit.
This is the guy that suggests you fill your keyboard and spacebar with Play Doh, so I'd take his advice with a big grain of salt.

Huh, I hadn't really watched much of his stuff but yeah, that seems kind of dumb. I guess if you just want sound deadening on the cheap with no care as to the longevity? Seems like the kind of thing you'd do for youtube but not real life. I guess that mechanical keyboards with decades of longevity don't necessarily fit into the new video every week youtube algorithm where you always have to have or do something new so you do some oddball stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I ordered a KBD67 Lite R3 in white with an extra transparent purple case. Really excited for a nice thocky portable keyboard that doesn't weigh 3 pounds like my GMMK Pro.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rexxed posted:

Huh, I hadn't really watched much of his stuff but yeah, that seems kind of dumb. I guess if you just want sound deadening on the cheap with no care as to the longevity? Seems like the kind of thing you'd do for youtube but not real life. I guess that mechanical keyboards with decades of longevity don't necessarily fit into the new video every week youtube algorithm where you always have to have or do something new so you do some oddball stuff.

Well won't there be another group buy you have to get in six months, so longevity seems irrelevant.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
yeah but play doh dries out in like a couple of days.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh this? This is my artisanal clay weighted keyboard. I have to make sure to fill up the reservoir so it doesn't dry out. The smell lets you know it cost $600.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeah but play doh dries out in like a couple of days.

just lol if you use the same keyboard for more than a week

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Got myself a cheapo mechanical keyboard. The first one I've used in over two decades.

The click clack is nice, but you can hear the spring as you're letting go of a key. But that's no doubt cause it's bottom of the barrel. These are supposedly blue switches.

I got it for $10, list price is $40.

Some of the lighting effects are cool, but that aspect mostly just feels like a toy (nothing wrong with that).

I got it because it was in impulse buy range, and I wanted to try out a 60% keyboard for the gaming ergonomics.

(Sorry, I realize most of the discussion in this thread is about things in slightly different budget tiers, just thought I'd share my impressions).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 28, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rinkles posted:

Got myself a cheapo mechanical keyboard. The first one I've used in over two decades.

The click clack is nice, but you can hear the spring as you're letting go of a key. But that's no doubt cause it's bottom of the barrel. These are supposedly blue switches.

I got it for $10, list price is $40.

Some of the lighting effects are cool, but that aspect mostly just feels like a toy (nothing wrong with that).

I got it because it was in impulse buy range, and I wanted to try out a 60% keyboard for the gaming ergonomics.

(Sorry, I realize most of the discussion in this thread is about things in slightly different budget tiers, just thought I'd share my impressions).

Going bottom of the barrel cheap is a great way to experiment with a new layout; once you know you like it, splash out a bit more for something that's actually pleasant to type on.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mostly miss the dedicated F keys. TKL could be the way to go, but I think 60%+F row might be ideal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I mostly miss the dedicated F keys. TKL could be the way to go, but I think 60%+F row might be ideal.

Apparently that's called a 75%

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rinkles posted:

Maybe look at 75%’s. Keep the narrow, but taller.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

Maybe look at 75%’s. Keep the narrow, but taller.

Yeah, I really like 75% and they've become really popular over the past couple years. The Keychron Q1 and GMMK Pro are both 75% and insanely popular right now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ahem I tried the Keychron and I hate it. Akko much better for my tastes. YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Didn't you have one of the cheap Keychrons, the Q1 is a very different board