Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

They say that like Michelle Gomez wasn't the best master in a long time. She was so much fun in the role.

The Master...a woman? Someone check the Greggs! The sausage rolls must be saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Skwirl posted:

Algonquin according to wikipedia, but yeah.

Milwaukee comes from the Algonquin word millioke, meaning “the good land.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Master...a woman? Someone check the Greggs! The sausage rolls must be saved!

It's too late, they're vegan.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

dialhforhero posted:

I mean, even the Algonquin were wrong occasionally :shrug:

Love from The Great Hill Place

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

:worship: :worship:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dialhforhero posted:

I was not aware of that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you ever fly in to Milwaukee they'll let you know, there are t shirt kiosks all around the terminals and 2/3 of them say "the good land" on them. The others are beer shirts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dialhforhero posted:

Anytime I see a place name like that, something my dumb Anglicised brain doesn't understand as a proper word, I think to myself "they probably stole it off the original inhabitants, gently caress knows they stole everything else".

See also, Woolloomooloo, Warragul, Mooloolaba etc.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/eyesontheright/status/1464336553724022788?s=21

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Memento posted:

Anytime I see a place name like that, something my dumb Anglicised brain doesn't understand as a proper word, I think to myself "they probably stole it off the original inhabitants, gently caress knows they stole everything else".

At least in QLD if you look into the history of the names you find out almost every single one of them was named by settlers after a random smattering of indigenous words.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have never seen a neckline on a dress that shape.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I look down at my soup and pretend I wasn't looking at her. I do not look at anyone the rest of the night.

I know the exact design of the carpet perfectly by the time I leave. My tears soak it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

At least in QLD if you look into the history of the names you find out almost every single one of them was named by settlers after a random smattering of indigenous words.

https://youtu.be/nfKr-D5VDBU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The “It’s called Milwaukee because everyone walks there” scene from Rugrats is seared into my loving brain in the same way I always think of that loving Sherlock scene whenever I’m fumbling in the dark to plug my phone in.

I don’t even drink.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Memento posted:

Is it better or worse if they faked stealing it from an indigenous language? For example, Idaho?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

NLJP posted:

Even more fun, Freddie Mercury was part of one of the smallest minorities out there, his family were Parsees iirc but I don't know if they were still practicing Zoroastrians

Mercury was baptised as a Parsee. IIRC, his funeral service included Zoroastrian rites.

May's and Roger Taylor's idea for the Queen movie would have had Mercury die halfway through, then focus on how the band continued. At least John Deacon had the decency to retire and live a completely private life rather than have his bad opinions (because no doubt he has them) on display to the public.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I SUSPECT Freddie would disagree on this Brian May idiot point.

Mercury openly teased his sexuality (and the parties after Queen concerts were said to be sometimes full-on orgies). He was much less open about his growing up in Zanzibar and India. It's been said his family's transition was pretty rough, they went from living a good life in Zanzibar to much less in England. Whether Mercury truly wanted to be English instead of his own background or if he played it down because of racism, I don't know if anyone's ever dug into that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Brawnfire posted:

It's like they ordered the wrong sized underwire and decided to just roll with it and make it work

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
doulbedoink

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I assume it comes with a pair of scissors and you have to cut it out around your boobs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I assume she's Wonder Woman.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

It means “GIRAFFE SITTING.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Memento posted:

My favorite one is Idaho being a Native American word for "Precious Gem"

except it's not, it's just something a white dude made up, and most people figured out pretty quick, but they still named the state Idaho and their license plates still say "The Gem State."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BioEnchanted posted:

They say that like Michelle Gomez wasn't the best master in a long time. She was so much fun in the role.
Michelle Gomez 🥺

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously, who can dislike Michele Gomez in anything? That woman is just wonderful.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

[approach her]

"So what brings you to [bridge]?"

[her answer]

"Do you come to [bridge] often?"

[let her begin her answer, but interrupt saying you must leave]

"I must go, let me have your number so we can discus [bridge] later"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brawnfire posted:

I refer to poo poo as my "Muse" all the time so I sound like a narcissistic playwright
Soul vermin

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I used to know a bloke (now dead, RIP) who played in a band with Freddie Mercury for a bit in the '60s, before Queen. He (Freddie) would always turn up late & high if at all, & apparently was generally a show off & massive pain in the arse, so the rest of the band sacked him in pretty short order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Borrovan posted:

I used to know a bloke (now dead, RIP) who played in a band with Freddie Mercury for a bit in the '60s, before Queen. He (Freddie) would always turn up late & high if at all, & apparently was generally a show off & massive pain in the arse, so the rest of the band sacked him in pretty short order.

That's absolutely believable, still doesn't mean he wasn't a loving brilliant performer/songwriter when he could be bothered.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Skwirl posted:

That's absolutely believable, still doesn't mean he wasn't a loving brilliant performer/songwriter when he could be bothered.

If anything it's further proof.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's too late, they're vegan.

Britannia has fallen, chaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6B6Y9mVdk

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Queen is the most boring dad rock, I've heard enough for six lifetimes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hawowanlawow posted:

Queen's got the dad rock problem that they do have some fun and interesting songs, but they're the ones you never hear compared to the more uninteresting crowd-pleasers like We Will Rock You. And there's the one wildcard of Bohemian Rhapsody, but in a way having one popular weird song is worse than none, because it gets overplayed and loses the magic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hawowanlawow posted:

i’m a bit jealous of this tremendously underinformed opinion because it means you’ve clearly never been exposed to like, spyro gyra

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Rockman Reserve posted:

i’m a bit jealous of this tremendously underinformed opinion because it means you’ve clearly never been exposed to like, spyro gyra

I see your Spirogyra and raise you Chuck Mangione

Shai-Hulud posted:

Seriously, who can dislike Michele Gomez in anything? That woman is just wonderful.

Michele Gomez in “The Flight Attendant” is like mainlining heaven.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Rusted Root.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FreudianSlippers posted:

You guys need to get on my level and be born into a culture that already has its own spirit animal equivalent:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fylgja
Here you have this magnificent concept, and you've ruined it by making it out of unpronouncium.

e: The bridge lady is Z-tier because she made the rookie mistake of visible panty. Come on, commit to the gig.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Nov 27, 2021

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

You guys need to get on my level and be born into a culture that already has its own spirit animal equivalent:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fylgja

mrpwase posted:

Your culture has its own spirit animal equivalent?

My culture has its own spirit animal equivalent.

:britain:

Yes, it does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familiar

"Familiars are most common in western European mythology, with some scholars arguing that familiars are only present in the traditions of Great Britain and France. In these areas, three categories of familiars are believed to exist:

familiar spirits manifesting as humans and humanoids, throughout Western Europe
divinatory spirits manifesting as animals, Great Britain and France
malevolent spirits manifesting as animals, only in Greece"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

Queen's first two albums are different, with more of a fantasy/Led Zeppelin style.They'd always been up their own rear end to some degree, but it doesn't totally take over until News of the World. You can still find interesting non-singles on their first five albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
The gently caress did Greece do?!