Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

paying our respects at Lowtax's corpse I see lol

Yes, I literally grabbed the hammer from his body, posted it in the thread and have been using it to level blunt weapons ever since lmao

Ginette Reno posted:

Nightblade was what I went with on my run a couple months ago. Had a pretty good time with it. I was an Argonian though.

What factions did you go with?

I used my old favourite alternative start, that the ship had crashed off Azura's Coast, so it was pretty easy to fall in with House Telvanni from there.

I don't think many of the other factions block each other off, but I'm currently working on the Morag Tong since one of the later targets is right next to a propylon index I want. Then I'm going to do the Tribunal Temple, and I've also done significant portions of the Thieves' Guild, Mages' Guild, and Imperial Legion. Main quest what's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Arivia posted:

I don't think many of the other factions block each other off,

The main pair is that the Fighters and Thieves guilds are at war. Doing the quests for both in Balmora requires carefully threading a needle to make sure one or the other doesn't kick you out. Also, a couple of the end-of-faction quests have tricky conflicts to navigate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vavrek posted:

The main pair is that the Fighters and Thieves guilds are at war. Doing the quests for both in Balmora requires carefully threading a needle to make sure one or the other doesn't kick you out. Also, a couple of the end-of-faction quests have tricky conflicts to navigate.

Oh, right - i started the thieves' guild already (did everything in Sadrith Mora and some stuff in Balmora) so I should be fine, and I'm aware that I don't want to follow the stupid mage's guild archmage's instructions. Got a big set of UESP tabs to make sure I don't gently caress anything up, but thank you!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I mean, you ... can do Trebonius's quests.* At least some of them. You can kill Telvanni without breaking Telvanni rules, just ... wait until they officially say you're in charge.

*I love how silly his quests are. "Oh, uh, the dwarves. Find out what happened to them." "Ah, yes, yes, I'm sure that ... makes sense. Next, ... kill ... the Telvanni. ... All of them."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You can also just kill Trebonius fairly early. He's pretty tough but if you've for some decent spells and scrolls you can gently caress him up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can also just kill Trebonius fairly early. He's pretty tough but if you've for some decent spells and scrolls you can gently caress him up.

yeah i'm just gonna do all the stuff for the lady in ald'ruhn so i can challenge him, after i find out what happened to the dwarves. gonna beat him down in the arena and get his poo poo

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You can challenge him after becoming head of the mages guild peacefully and net yourself an extra reputation point if you care about that for some reason.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I recently got the urge to play some morrowind again and try out some stuff like home of the nords - is there no way to have the map without running OpenMW?

I've had a quick go at getting it running but have had a load of weird problems with what seemed like common mods such as grass having collision enabled so you can't actually walk off any paths and dumb stuff like that so I'm clearly doing something wrong... is there a good baseline <30 mods for OpenMW which work well, make it look nice enough and cover basic QoL stuff?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I was only at the rank of Wizard when I challenged him.

I hadn't even done all the Wolverine Hall quests yet.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Oh look! Morrowind modding is not a complete shitshow. In fact OpenMW 0.47 is promising and I finally made the switch. I had to remove MWSE, Code Patch and MGE XE. So how do I make water and Lightning look great? Also, feels kind of cathartic to remove MWSE dependant mods I cannot use anymore. The limitation is somehow quite freeing.

EDIT: NVM changing water shaders was easy as pie. Still seek to make lighting look a bit better and I hope there are some good 3d animations for Morrowind, especially running.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 24, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Oh look! Morrowind modding is not a complete shitshow. In fact OpenMW 0.47 is promising and I finally made the switch. I had to remove MWSE, Code Patch and MGE XE. So how do I make water and Lightning look great? Also, feels kind of cathartic to remove MWSE dependant mods I cannot use anymore. The limitation is somehow quite freeing.

EDIT: NVM changing water shaders was easy as pie. Still seek to make lighting look a bit better and I hope there are some good 3d animations for Morrowind, especially running.

Modding-openmw.com has a guide to getting some lighting mods up and going in OpenMW.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Pretty close to having everything run well. Except now I got purple rocks on the mountians....

EDIT:
Apparantly it is a known issue with the newest version of OpenMW if you havent upgraded your drivers or operating system.
https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable/manuals/installation/common-problems.html

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 26, 2021

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I got groundcover to work. So now I just have to say that with OpenMW 0.47 you basically dont have to generate grass, nor any distant land. You basically have the equivelent of DynDOLOD. Yet the game has very few player animation mods and NO CAPE MODS!

Midig fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 26, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m happy for OpenMW quite a bit, but I’ll likely stick to my original engine+MCP+MGE XE+MWSE for as long as I can. Performance is not an issue and I have the right mix of mods that’s just out of reach of Open MW, but not nearly so many as to be very buggy or crash prone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Alt tabbed right now to ask, uh, have any of you ever killed a rat while underwater in Morrowind? I don't recommend it!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Midig posted:

I got groundcover to work. So now I just have to say that with OpenMW 0.47 you basically dont have to generate grass, nor any distant land. You basically have the equivelent of DynDOLOD. Yet the game has very few player animation mods and NO CAPE MODS!

Cape mods all look like poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jack B Nimble posted:

Alt tabbed right now to ask, uh, have any of you ever killed a rat while underwater in Morrowind? I don't recommend it!

Oh man what happens

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I demand screen shots and a full play by play

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Oh man what happens

It's about how being under water effects game sounds; I'll let you try it out yourself sometime, it happened to me by accident in the Urshilaku burial caverns and I really was not prepared for how it sounded.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ordered a new computer with an RTX 3070 in it and ngl I'm pretty hyped to get Morrowind installed.

Gonna make that poo poo look like it was made in 2012 ohhhh yeah

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wait Skyrim was released 10 years ago in 2011 wtf

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Entropy238 posted:

Wait Skyrim was released 10 years ago in 2011 wtf

Yeah, the distance between us now and Skyrim's first release and the distance between Skyrim and Morrowind has been larger for a while.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We're now about as far from Skyrim as Oblivion was from Daggerfall.

Still we won't be seeing a new Elder Scrolls for at least 5 years or until reissuing Skyrim stops being profitable.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
How is openmw with the multiplayer morrowind mod? How does the mod work?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kneelbeforezog posted:

How is openmw with the multiplayer morrowind mod? How does the mod work?

It's a separate executable not a mod. It's an engine level port of openmw with a multiplayer client. Its good

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Does that mean it is easy to play with mods in MP?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yeah it's just openmw. Its easiest to just make one setup, zip it, and upload the whole folder to google drive or whatever. Pluginless graphics mods dont need to be synced

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Nice. Anyways. Does anyone happen to have mountain textures I can use to overwrite the one given by OpenMW? I get purple mountains because I cannot update windows.Anyways, the capes from Olafs best cloaks in town technically looks good. But the way it floats when you stand still and the leg clipping makes it quite unappealing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Nice. Anyways. Does anyone happen to have mountain textures I can use to overwrite the one given by OpenMW? I get purple mountains because I cannot update windows.Anyways, the capes from Olafs best cloaks in town technically looks good. But the way it floats when you stand still and the leg clipping makes it quite unappealing.

you can't update windows to something released in the last five years, including windows 10 which was literally free?

if not, try some of the texture mods at modding-openmw

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

It has a free update? Where? Also, I cannot blame people who want to stick to MGe XE. I prefer MGEXE blue mist color over the grey/beige one in OpenMW. But LOOK AT THIS:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46816?tab=images

The color variety is providies it cab provide is just ASTOUNDING. If someone finds a way to provide anything similar for OpenMW that will be the final thing I do. Maybe along with some better UI and animations.

Midig fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 28, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

It has a free update? Where? Also, I cannot blame people who want to stick to MGe XE. I prefer MGEXE blue mist color over the grey/beige one in OpenMW. But LOOK AT THIS:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46816?tab=images

The color variety is providies it cna provide is just ASTOUNDING. If someone finds a way to provide anything similar for OpenMW that will be the final thing I do. Maybe along with some better UI and animations.

you can literally install windows 10 with any old windows 7 or windows 8 key, likely including illegal ones. microsoft has all but explicitly publicly said they do not care they just wanted as many people as possible on windows 10.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I got a cracked one for Windows 10 which I cannot update.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You can literally buy it for $5 off eBay. Or $15 in SA-Mart.

If you can't afford that run Linux, pirating windows in 2021 is ugh, not smart. (From a malware / security perspective)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
True 2003 CHIM posting

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is it recommended to use OpenMW for someone who's never played through this game? I've played it as a kid but never got past 20 hours. Those 20 hours were just screwing around, looting, and doing some random quests. I never got far into the actual game

I have the GOTY edition and plan to play Vanilla (no mods). Not being able to play windowed and alt tab easily kind of sucks and I heard OpenMW solves that. Does OpenMW change much? I know its a different engine

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 28, 2021

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rabid Snake posted:

Is it recommended to use OpenMW for someone who's never played through this game? I've played it as a kid but never got past 20 hours. Those 20 hours were just screwing around, looting, and doing some random quests. I never got far into the actual game

I have the GOTY edition and plan to play Vanilla (no mods). Not being able to play windowed and alt tab easily kind of sucks and I heard OpenMW solves that. Does OpenMW change much? I know its a different engine

Playing vanilla there's no reason not to use OpenMW. It's the same game but stable and prettified.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does OpenMW still have strange creature combat AI compared to vanilla, or did they fix most of it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

morrownwind

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

On Windows, I never had any desire to use OpenMW. The MCP and MGE-XE gave me what seemed to be a better game, at least a couple years ago when I was playing Morrowind all the time. Don't know how OpenMW has advanced since then.

However! OpenMW has the great advantage of being pretty straightforward to set up and just get running. If you just want something that'll work, be stable, and come in modern resolutions, OpenMW is great. I emphasize Windows at the start because I have tragically become a Linux gamer, and haven't tried to get non-OpenMW Morrowind running yet.

I don't remember having any weird issues with windowed/nonwindowed or alt-tabbing, though. I'm not sure if it's unreliable memory, luck, or the fact that I use original install discs rather than a Steam/GOG version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Node posted:

Does OpenMW still have strange creature combat AI compared to vanilla, or did they fix most of it?

theyve fixed some but not all. the biggest openmw change is now weapon swings hitting at the end instead of the start of the animation. it makes combat even more of a joke bc you can backpedal and enemies don't move forward to follow through on their swings lol. you as a player can capitalize on that but they don't