Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mind_Taker posted:

Basically I’m wondering for those who have their kids in daycare: do the pros of sending your kids to daycare outweigh the cons, or are you only sending them to daycare because you are forced to by life circumstances?

We were kind of forced into it in that we could conceivably make it work without it, but the pros of it have outweighed the cons that we don't doubt we made the right choice. Our daycare has been pretty good about COVID mitigation, so that helps with the stress.

For us it is very hard to overstate the benefits to our mental health. We're much more able to be happy parents and give him the level of enthusiastic interaction he needs. The house isn't a complete mess since we have a bit of energy after he goes to bed to straighten up (on days where he's home all day we just crash). We're able to have an actual relationship.

But the benefits for him is what really makes us sure it is the right thing. He's happier, gets a much larger variety of things to play with, and being around other kids really pushes him to learn new things. The first week after he moved up from the infant room to the toddler room was an absolute explosion in new skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Speaking of social interaction, I'm looking forward to watching my 17mo, who has relatively little kid interaction, going buck wild with his little cousins later today.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I continue to be amazed by the sheer devastation the ogre toddler can leave in his wake in very little ti.e efforts to clean up the play area for the arrival of his cousins are undone in seconds of him discovering the unfathomable sin of "someone put my blocks on a shelf in a neat stack as opposed to where they belong: scattered all over the floor along with my other toys".

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
In a new parenting/sleep deprivation low, I accidentally tried to put the baby bib on my wife instead of the baby. I was behind both of them, and just started slipping the bib around my wife's neck...what?

Time for a nap!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

: do the pros of sending your kids to daycare outweigh the cons, or are you only sending them to daycare because you are forced to by life circumstances?

Our kid is now walking and actively interacting with her environment now

I think pre crawling, pre walking you can very easily get away with no daycare and just deal with the kid, that's easy, they're basically a noisy houseplant

There are definite advantages to daycare if the kid is an extrovert. I was anti daycare and pro nanny but our kid is 100% extrovert and it's obvious she thrives on social interaction

Our daycare dwindled to her and one other kid, and until January she's the only kid, so extremely low covid risk. I'd be very hesitant to send our kid to daycare with more than 8-12 kids, that seems like a super spreader event in the making

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Happy Thanksgiving goon parents! It was just us, so I made a small ish bird (~10 lb) and a couple of sides. Went all out on the gravy. Baby went hog wild on the stuffed mushrooms and potatoes au gratin. Toddler touched nothing, declared the sparkling cider "yucky," then guzzled 3 cups. Got a PB&J afterwards because gently caress if I'm being woken from my food coma because he's hungry. Nobody wanted apple pie despite it being probably the best one I've ever made. But the baby took his first steps today, so at least there's that :unsmith:

2DEG fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 26, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
5 month old baby is entering laugh mode and spent all turkey dinner laughing at people playing with her. She laughed real hard for me too.

My heart :swoon:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Slaan posted:

5 month old baby is entering laugh mode and spent all turkey dinner laughing at people playing with her. She laughed real hard for me too.

My heart :swoon:

laugh mode rules.

baby ate a roll and a green bean
toddler ate pretty much nothing after demanding a bit of everything be loaded onto her plate, then slammed two slices of pumpkin pie. living her best life today.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pumpkin pie is a good choice :hai:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

One of our in-laws has a 5 year old in a STEM-adjacent-whatever montessori school and the curriculum she described makes me really want to put our daughter into something similar. Stuff like sensory learning and abstract physical manipulation math, really clever reading and spelling techniques and the like. Robotics courses. I’m kind of worried about missing the boat on learning in those ways while the development is still happening/able to happen. If I learned math how she’s learning it, I might be better able to conceptualize it. Is this buying into hype?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

External Organs posted:

In a new parenting/sleep deprivation low, I accidentally tried to put the baby bib on my wife instead of the baby. I was behind both of them, and just started slipping the bib around my wife's neck...what?

Time for a nap!

It sure beats slamming your forehead right into the edge of the partially open bedroom door while on the way to relieve my wife, because in the dark and with my sleep deprivation I thought it was all the way open.

It is so much fun going to the ER at 3am for stitches because of something so stupid. Didn’t get any blood on the carpet, at least!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baby just entered "reasons my toddler is crying" mode yay

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Another outing where I had to hold a whiny toddler for 5 hours as we watched the dozen or so other kids play with each other. Love my clingy 2 year old. Don’t resent them at all. Nope!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

nachos posted:

Another outing where I had to hold a whiny toddler for 5 hours as we watched the dozen or so other kids play with each other. Love my clingy 2 year old. Don’t resent them at all. Nope!

Right there with you. Love going to the park to watch all the other kids make friends while mine screams whenever another comes near.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We did roasted sweet potatoes, a spinach/mandarin/cranberry salad, and pork ribs from the nearby bbq joint because gently caress cooking a turkey for two people and a 18month old.

I expected him to tear into the sweet potatoes and kind of ignore the rest. He did eat a bunch of sweet potato but surprised me by being all about the ribs. They had an extremely peppery rub on them so he was alternating between crying and trying to jam more delicious pork into his face. He even ate a bunch of the salad when I pointed out the mandarins in it.

Overall a success.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Shifty Pony posted:

We did roasted sweet potatoes, a spinach/mandarin/cranberry salad, and pork ribs from the nearby bbq joint because gently caress cooking a turkey for two people and a 18month old.

I expected him to tear into the sweet potatoes and kind of ignore the rest. He did eat a bunch of sweet potato but surprised me by being all about the ribs. They had an extremely peppery rub on them so he was alternating between crying and trying to jam more delicious pork into his face. He even ate a bunch of the salad when I pointed out the mandarins in it.

Overall a success.

Hahah my 3.5 year old is obsessed with idea of radishes thanks to Peter Rabbit. Got some in my most recent fruit/veg box and sliced some up thin with a veg slicer. Right into them and then they all got spat back out.

SPICY SPICY.

Yep, good work having a go at them though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
A great first thanksgiving here, baby was a total ham that loved all of the attention and tried bites of everything. Such a sweet little guy :) it’s so fun now that he is at an age that he can graze off our plates.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

When my daughter was still in diapers, we knew we'd have a lovely diaper whenever she toddled to certain spots. In our house if she went behind the couch, we knew one would be waiting. At my grandmother's house, if she wrapped herself in the curtains between the couch and recliner, same deal. They're basically cats.

When my twin brother and I were toddlers my mom said we would both baby talk to each other, then crawl together behind the recliner and take shits.

I'm having my thanksgiving meal a day late so in-laws can be there to experience their first american-style thanksgiving meal, and I can't wait to just have my baby there even though he can't eat any of it yet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Thanks, I haven’t tried it but this will be our plan going forward. Last night wasn’t bad until 5 am when he started waking up. I brought a pillow in there and laid on his floor and he thought that was confusing and hilarious, so that might not be the right method.

Well this was a bust last night. Ignoring him or trying to stay consistent with a song just pissed him off more.

Last night the first reason he freaked out was because the Hatch night was the wrong color (it’s blue-you asked for blue and it’s been blue for MONTHS!). Turning it to white calmed him down for 20 minutes and then he was freaking out again, to go potty I think.

For a guy that always wants our help getting dressed, he loving HATES getting help with his pants to come off to go potty in the middle of the night.

God this sucks.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My baby just started solids a few weeks ago. I was dismayed that he didn’t like sweet potatoes! He loved the carrot that I put in the instant pot with our Cornish game hen, and pears were a big hit too.

My toddler had the biggest meltdown of her entire life and I’m not sure why. It was just my parents over, and she loves them. Everything was fine until we sat down to eat and the world crashed down around her. She needed her pink plate, she had to be the one to get it out of ye cabinet, cranberries aren’t the same thing as blueberries, and I don’t even remember what else because I completely shut out her screaming. She didn’t eat anything I had made, just a bun. I thought she was going to love everything so that was a bummer.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Koivunen posted:

She didn’t eat anything I had made, just a bun. I thought she was going to love everything so that was a bummer.

I made a big beautiful thanksgiving dinner for my little family and my toddler mostly ate the Pillsbury crescent rolls and the straight from the can cranberry sauce (which he thought was jam)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just went into my (3-year-old) son's room to make sure he's covered up, and he's got his upper torso and head under his pillow. Whatever, kid!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My parents have been in town this whole week. And they are incapable of being quiet to save their lives. The 18mo has not napped longer than 40 minutes all week because they do something that wakes him up. He usually gets 2-2.5 hour naps every morning so he's been miserable and clingy and we're just so loving tired. This was supposed to be a vacation.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

L0cke17 posted:

My parents have been in town this whole week. And they are incapable of being quiet to save their lives. The 18mo has not napped longer than 40 minutes all week because they do something that wakes him up. He usually gets 2-2.5 hour naps every morning so he's been miserable and clingy and we're just so loving tired. This was supposed to be a vacation.

What is it about grandparents and being insanely loud when you know a baby is sleeping? RIP

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

God this is my parents too.
Their default TV volume is apparently 900.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Love to have our son get sick right before the long weekend and then have him constantly cough and sneeze in my face so that I’ll be sick for the next week!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

So our twins are now 9 months old and we're having some issues getting our kids to nap for any significant amount of time. They wake up at 7:30 and we try to put them down for a nap at 9:30, 12:30, and 3:30. They usually get put down to bed between 7-7:30. They only nap for 30 minutes, maybe an hour. We would like to get them to nap longer than that, are there any recommendations you guys would make?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Honestly they're probably ready for two naps.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Got a hire car with car seats as I had a car accident last week and the rear windscreen needs replacing.

1.5 year old managed to hose it down with a monumental spew on the way back from swimming; our first trip out in the hire car.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HolyDukeNukem posted:

So our twins are now 9 months old and we're having some issues getting our kids to nap for any significant amount of time. They wake up at 7:30 and we try to put them down for a nap at 9:30, 12:30, and 3:30. They usually get put down to bed between 7-7:30. They only nap for 30 minutes, maybe an hour. We would like to get them to nap longer than that, are there any recommendations you guys would make?

At 9 months we were down to 2 naps a day, at 10 and around 3. The first one was usually 90-120 min and the second was rarely longer than 45 minutes. We knew she was ready for 1 nap once that second one started getting skipped repeatedly. Dark times, those.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

femcastra posted:

Got a hire car with car seats as I had a car accident last week and the rear windscreen needs replacing.

1.5 year old managed to hose it down with a monumental spew on the way back from swimming; our first trip out in the hire car.

Best use of a rental I can think of.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

HolyDukeNukem posted:

To echo what others said that’s about when we went to 2 naps a day. IIRC our twins napped from 10:00-11:30ish and 3:00 to 4:30ish.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Jeez my 10 month old naps just twice a day for 30 minutes. He has always sucked at long naps.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Got a new puppy today, 11 weeks, and she's keeping us up every hour to pee and every three to stool so far. It's her first night though so a difficult adjustment was expected. Fortunately she only woke one of our kids up once so far.

This isn't quite what I remember with the last pup. It's worse than our kids.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
My daughter, our first, is going to turn 5 months old in about a week. Things over here have finally settled down enough that I've found some time to post about it here.

There were a few hurdles at the start: I wasn't able to attend the birth due to COVID precautions, and hospital rules wouldn't let my wife use her phone to talk to me while she was in labor. With nothing to do but worry, I ended up sleeping through the birth at home. I got woken up at 7am by a phone call from the hospital telling me there had been an issue during the birth. I was told that my daughter had been transferred to a hospital with an NICU and to go ask the doctor there for more information. My wife was resting after labor at the birth hospital, so I couldn't really learn any details until I rushed over to the NICU hospital, in panic mode the entire time. When I got there, though, the news was good: the baby was mostly healthy, but my wife's water had broken early and our daughter had gotten an infection at some point before birth, and she just needed to stay in the NICU for a week to get some antibiotics.

Apparently our daughter's vital signs were concerning enough during and immediately after birth that they whisked her away from my wife before she even had a chance to hold her. When I went to visit the NICU hospital, I ended up holding our daughter first time before my wife, when originally I wasn't even supposed to see her until they came home from the hospital. After a few days of antibiotics, our daughter was discharged, and I brought her back to the birth hospital, where she and my wife were also discharged together a day later.

She's perfectly healthy now and meeting development milestones right on time, but I do have a few questions. I'm an American living in Japan, and my wife is Japanese, and I've noticed that the advice on how to raise children from English-language (both American and UK, etc.) and Japanese sources can different pretty significantly at times. This has resulted in a few disagreements between me and my wife, and I'd like to ask the thread's opinion on a few things.

First, in regards to bedding and sleeping arrangements. Nearly every English source I've read has said something to the effect of "IF YOU DARE TO USE A BLANKET AND OR PILLOW YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT". Meanwhile, Japanese sources have very little to say about SIDS or suffocation risk with blankets or sleeping arrangements; most cribs available at baby stores are still side-drop cribs, baby mattress sets usually come with a (relatively) heavy blanket and pillow, and I haven't seen anything suggesting only firm mattresses should be used. Because of this, my wife wants to cover our daughter with blankets while she's sleeping at night, taking a nap, or just awake and playing on her back. This wasn't so much of a problem when my daughter was born since it was summer, but now that it's getting cold my wife is wanting to use more blankets or heavier ones, and it's starting to scare me a little bit.

Is it really that bad of an idea to use blankets on a baby sleeping at night, especially one who's 5 months old and able to roll over to her stomach and back as much as she wants? I'm starting to think that maybe the warnings I've seen in English resources were maybe a little overprotective.

Second, English sources tend to recommend starting baby's first foods at 6 or 7 months, sometimes saying to wait until the baby can sit up on her own. Our pediatrician, though, suggested we could start with small spoonfuls of rice porridge as soon as 5 months. Obviously I'm going to follow the advice of a doctor over stuff I've read on the internet, but when did other people here start solid foods?

I've got more questions, but this post is already long enough and they aren't exactly pressing, so I'll ask some other time.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 27, 2021

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Spoggerific posted:

My daughter, our first, is going to turn 5 months old in about a week. Things over here have finally settled down enough that I've found some time to post about it here.

There were a few hurdles at the start: I wasn't able to attend the birth due to COVID precautions, and hospital rules wouldn't let my wife use her phone to talk to me while she was in labor. With nothing to do but worry, I ended up sleeping through the birth at home. I got woken up at 7am by a phone call from the hospital telling me there had been an issue during the birth. I was told that my daughter had been transferred to a hospital with an NICU and to go ask the doctor there for more information. My wife was resting after labor at the birth hospital, so I couldn't really learn any details until I rushed over to the NICU hospital, in panic mode the entire time. When I got there, though, the news was good: the baby was mostly healthy, but my wife's water had broken early and our daughter had gotten an infection at some point before birth, and she just needed to stay in the NICU for a week to get some antibiotics.

Apparently our daughter's vital signs were concerning enough during and immediately after birth that they whisked her away from my wife before she even had a chance to hold her. When I went to visit the NICU hospital, I ended up holding our daughter first time before my wife, when originally I wasn't even supposed to see her until they came home from the hospital. After a few days of antibiotics, our daughter was discharged, and I brought her back to the birth hospital, where she and my wife were also discharged together a day later.

She's perfectly healthy now and meeting development milestones right on time, but I do have a few questions. I'm an American living in Japan, and my wife is Japanese, and I've noticed that the advice on how to raise children from English-language (both American and UK, etc.) and Japanese sources can different pretty significantly at times. This has resulted in a few disagreements between me and my wife, and I'd like to ask the thread's opinion on a few things.

First, in regards to bedding and sleeping arrangements. Nearly every English source I've read has said something to the effect of "IF YOU DARE TO USE A BLANKET AND OR PILLOW YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT". Meanwhile, Japanese sources have very little to say about SIDS or suffocation risk with blankets or sleeping arrangements; most cribs available at baby stores are still side-drop cribs, baby mattress sets usually come with a (relatively) heavy blanket and pillow, and I haven't seen anything suggesting only firm mattresses should be used. Because of this, my wife wants to cover our daughter with blankets while she's sleeping at night, taking a nap, or just awake and playing on her back. This wasn't so much of a problem when my daughter was born since it was summer, but now that it's getting cold my wife is wanting to use more blankets or heavier ones, and it's starting to scare me a little bit.

Is it really that bad of an idea to use blankets on a baby sleeping at night, especially one who's 5 months old and able to roll over to her stomach and back as much as she wants? I'm starting to think that maybe the warnings I've seen in English resources were maybe a little overprotective.

Second, English sources tend to recommend starting baby's first foods at 6 or 7 months, sometimes saying to wait until the baby can sit up on her own. Our pediatrician, though, suggested we could start with small spoonfuls of rice porridge as soon as 5 months. Obviously I'm going to follow the advice of a doctor over stuff I've read on the internet, but when did other people here start solid foods?

I've got more questions, but this post is already long enough and they aren't exactly pressing, so I'll ask some other time.

The culture of child raising is going to be different in different cultures, so I think you’re probably seeing this play out. When I lived in Japan I had a lot of friends have children with their Japanese spouses and the experience was definitely different to what I have had living in Australia.

Co-sleeping is pretty common from birth, cots not as common because of sleeping on futon. Baby futons with heavy blankets and pillows as part of the set were common.

Personally I wouldn’t be keen on the pillow, but the blankets, as long as they are firmly tucked in, not loose, should be fine. It’s a suffocation risk that you’re protecting against.

Solids-wise, the advice changes all the time. I have a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old and I got different advice for both. I started solids at 4 months with my first (under paediatrician guidance) and at 5.5 months with my second.

Good luck, and I’m glad that things turned out well despite an uncertain start.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’m not a physician, but my understanding is that the vast majority of SIDS deaths occur before 6 months and the peak is between 2 and 4 months.

That being said, we didn’t want to take any risk and went the route of extra caution vis-a-vis sleeping arrangements with the exception of switching to sleeping in a different room at 6 months.

I think the guidance on solids in the US is much more variable than that on SIDS. Honestly, it anecdotally feels very common to start at 5 months.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

There's this book called Sweet Sleep which breaks down a lot of cosleeping statistics and studies in a way that's easier to understand for the layperson and my major takeaways from it were that:

1: SIDS is actually not the same thing as accidental infant bed death and is something else entirely which causes the statistics that we are familiar with to be confounded a bit since they are often used interchangeably.

2: the information available in the US also further tends to confound these statistics by lumping in any time a baby died when an adult fell asleep on the same surface in with accidental infant bed death (in a bed). So for example the times an adult accidentally fell asleep on a sofa with a baby which is genuinely very dangerous, etc, instead of just deaths in a prepared, safe sleeping surface meant for parent and baby.

Personally I was in that group of people always told that you must never sleep near your baby or it will 100% die but this thread and some research helped me to get a more balanced perspective so we could make sensible and safe choices for our family. Ymmv.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
My wife and I sleep on one large futon on the floor of our bedroom, and our daughter sleeps on a baby futon next to but separated from ours by 15cm or so. This is fine while she's still immobile, but I imagine it might cause some issues once she starts crawling. Our house is already mostly babyproofed, except for cabinent locks, but there are a few things in the bedroom (phone charging cables, etc.) that could be a bit of an issue. We really don't have room to put a normal crib in our bedroom or really anywhere else in our apartment. We'll be moving (hopefully to a larger place) around June of next year, but she'll be almost a year old at that point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Spoggerific posted:

Nearly every English source I've read has said something to the effect of "IF YOU DARE TO USE A BLANKET AND OR PILLOW YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT".
The AAP's policy is no blankets in bed before one year of age. Can you get sleep sacks/wearable blankets in Japan? They should be a good enough compromise.

Spoggerific posted:

Second, English sources tend to recommend starting baby's first foods at 6 or 7 months, sometimes saying to wait until the baby can sit up on her own. Our pediatrician, though, suggested we could start with small spoonfuls of rice porridge as soon as 5 months.
Purées are pretty common once your kiddo can sit up (4-5 months?). Rice porridge is basically the same idea but vegetable purées will introduce a more varied diet.

Frankly I think it's all about the same and fine. The only thing you might want to be deliberate about is introducing egg and peanut sooner than later as the recent thinking is that early exposure may stave off future allergy. Also scrambled eggs are good soft food that can be gummed without teeth.