Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Typical Pubbie posted:

He wasn't fired, and he didn't say the n-word "all the time." He said it while telling the other writers a story about a racist cop he encountered in LA. Someone in the writer's room who can't understand context poo poo a brick and told HR. They gave him a warning and he decided to quit rather than work with the idiots on this show.
A smart move to the extreme detriment of this show. Wild how that story got twisted. Here's an article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

He wasn't fired, and he didn't say the n-word "all the time." He said it while telling the other writers a story about a racist cop he encountered in LA. Someone in the writer's room who can't understand context poo poo a brick and told HR. They gave him a warning and he decided to quit rather than work with the idiots on this show.

Oh god, that makes the writers room look even worse.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Much like voyager, there's almost a good show under the 3 foot layer of poo poo.

They should have started the show here:

- Ship with a crazy mushroom drive accidentally jumps into the future.
- The captain is killed and the rookie idiot first officer has to take command (ABSOLUTELY NO CRYING ABOUT IT)
- rebuilding the federation.

These could all be cool concepts to explore.

Right now I skip 70% of the dialogue and it makes the show 10 times more watchable.

Especially anything to do with Grey. I appreciate them including trans characters but they're doing it in the most shallow and ham fisted way. More importantly it's just boring, because it should be a non-issue 1000 years in the future so there's no real conflict or statement to be made. Just "look a trans person is on the show" "please clap"

Book dealing with his stupid blown up planet is one of the better emotional threads but again is hosed up by making the plot revolve around how Burnham feels about it.

How many injuries could have been prevented by seatbelts? all of them???

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The problem with space is that the global warming analog is both too big (the anomaly is wider than the distance from Earth to Alpha Centauri) and also too small to affect more than a handful of planets (unless it starts warping around which it certainly will do).

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Butternubs posted:

How many injuries could have been prevented by seatbelts? all of them???

“Brace yourselves” nobody braced themselves.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They literally namedropped her in this very episode

Or did they
Or is it the new 32nd century starfleet AI

It doesn't actually matter because its the flagshit show DIscovuru, to boldly go where no Burnham cried before
They can and will retrospect anything at this point, except maybe Kirk

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Super Deuce posted:

“Brace yourselves” nobody braced themselves.

RIP Voyager's first first officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UIWrkswvA

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Butternubs posted:

Especially anything to do with Grey. I appreciate them including trans characters but they're doing it in the most shallow and ham fisted way. More importantly it's just boring, because it should be a non-issue 1000 years in the future so there's no real conflict or statement to be made. Just "look a trans person is on the show" "please clap"

Gray is actually never described as trans on-screen, just in promotional materials. If you didn't read those and didn't know Ian Alexander was trans then he would just read as a man, and I don't think having a trans man play a male character is ham-fisted or shallow at all. (Is it problematic to call a character trans in your marketing but not in the actual show if he's played by a trans man?)

I don't know why I'm getting so hung up on defending representation on this show.

Butternubs posted:

Book dealing with his stupid blown up planet is one of the better emotional threads but again is hosed up by making the plot revolve around how Burnham feels about it.

No, the entire throughline has been about Booker, his trauma, and his grief. He's the one getting flashbacks, closing himself off from the world, and tossing himself into dangerous situations. Burnham is only in the picture because she's the captain who doesn't want to send someone to their death and the partner who doesn't want to see her boyfriend die. I think the big flaw in Booker's story so far is that he simply does not have any relationship with the rest of the cast, so Burnham is the only one who can talk him through his emotions. I hope that Stamets is going to have a bigger role in Booker's story going forward now that they've started opening up to each other.

I don't know why I'm getting so hung up on defending representation on this show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like Book is going to yell at Stamets "You don't know how i feel!" and Stamets will just come back with how he lost Hugh and that Book needs to stop acting like he's the only one who ever lost anyone and that will fix everything, because that's how these things go.

Or maybe they'll just ignore it and it won't come up again. This is Disco, who knows what the writers are doing?

The ending horror movie shot of the black hole was pretty funny.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I don't like Gray in the show right now only because the character doesn't do anything this season or have any relevance to any plot and barely even interaction with any other character than Adira up until this episode's Culber chat.

His scenes just feel totally disconnected from the rest of the show, like there's a gripping (or not, depending on how you feel about it) plot and action scenes happening... and let's just cut for a 5 minute break about a dead ghost Trill's need for a body... and ok back to the episode now.

Adira themself has a role to play in the story and things to do, I just have absolutely no idea what Gray is supposed to be bringing to the show right now or where the character is going.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Adira is lucky they were super in love and poo poo cause it would take a whole lot to.transplant a slug into me.

"You know it was only like the 3rd date... I am good on the slug thing. Sorry. Peace out."

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Arrinien posted:

I don't like Gray in the show right now only because the character doesn't do anything this season or have any relevance to any plot and barely even interaction with any other character than Adira up until this episode's Culber chat.

His scenes just feel totally disconnected from the rest of the show, like there's a gripping (or not, depending on how you feel about it) plot and action scenes happening... and let's just cut for a 5 minute break about a dead ghost Trill's need for a body... and ok back to the episode now.

Adira themself has a role to play in the story and things to do, I just have absolutely no idea what Gray is supposed to be bringing to the show right now or where the character is going.

Yeah, I agree. He’s only ever interacted with Culber, and their relationship is entirely “hey let’s get you a body”. If Gray’s presence was either helping or hindering in tense situations then he’d be totally fine, but he’s currently just existing as a side plot and nothing else. I hope the body plot wraps up next episode so we can get to whatever’s next.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The ship already has 6 science & engineering geniuses onboard. What are they going to do with Gray? Is he the new cook?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gray should just play all the incidental music for each episode on their instruments

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

blastron posted:

Gray is actually never described as trans on-screen

I honestly thought this line was about being trans and this was the show's signal to the viewer that it's time to think about this person as trans.

blastron posted:

Because they're doing it that loving poorly. At least it all feels wrong to me for reasons folks have already mentioned earlier in the thread. It feels like tokenization and that skeeves the poo poo out of me. If I could see people with the non-binary/trans status say they're doing a fine job and appreciate the representation, I'd feel a lot better about it. So far, I've only read the opposite.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 27, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DaveKap posted:

I honestly thought this line was about being trans and this was the show's signal to the viewer that it's time to think about this person as trans.

Because they're doing it that loving poorly. At least it all feels wrong to me for reasons folks have already mentioned earlier in the thread. It feels like tokenization and that skeeves the poo poo out of me. If I could see people with the non-binary/trans status say they're doing a fine job and appreciate the representation, I'd feel a lot better about it. So far, I've only read the opposite.

I'm nonbinary and I think it's good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm nonbinary and I think it's good.
That's actually a bit of a relief. Thanks!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Alright, so folks gotta understand: All this is really sensitive and can't be perfect for everyone, in terms of both representation and what we want to see in a Trek future. For some folks, a "perfect" transition is ideal but also this is a live action television show. I've seen people critique the scene where Adira, Grey, and Culber check over the holo of Grey's new body. Obviously, some trans folk, given the chance would change almost everything about themselves if given the chance that Grey is given here. But many wouldn't because they are happen with their body and how they look. Also, this is a live action television show and heavily changing stuff would mean changing the actor.

And I can't remember who said poo poo about "making the body physically male" but of course they're not gonna say "WHAT ABOUT THE DICK THOUGH???" That would be loving awful.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
They should have treated being transgender in the 31st century like a completely normal, mundane thing. Transitioning should be as remarkable as having your tonsils removed. Instead we get an after-school special for Adira and a tortured metaphor of death and rebirth by way of trill worm -> hologram -> android body for Gray. They could not make this stuff more weird if they tried!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DaveKap posted:

Watch the 4400 reboot if you want to watch poorly...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought this episode had issues but it was a major improvement compared to Episode 1. They actually had conversations that weren't taking place at Warp 9 and just gunning everything to the next scene as if they don't have unlimited screen time since this is a streaming-only show. It at least felt like it had a beginning, a middle, an end, and a denouement. Which to me came off as closer to Old Trek than much they have done before on this show.

There's still too many subplots running, and I hope they resolve some of those soon, because you can't really have like 5 subplots in an episode and not have it crowded.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Watch the 4400 reboot if you want to watch poorly...
I really liked season 1 of the original but never watched the rest. Dare I ask what the reboot is doing?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Typical Pubbie posted:

They should have treated being transgender in the 31st century like a completely normal, mundane thing. Transitioning should be as remarkable as having your tonsils removed. Instead we get an after-school special for Adira and a tortured metaphor of death and rebirth by way of trill worm -> hologram -> android body for Gray. They could not make this stuff more weird if they tried!

poo poo sex change is an outpatient surgery in the 24th century, let alone the 31rst.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Think about the Adira / Grey thing if it were on Voyager instead of Disco. I can picture this interaction and it has charm, care, and most all respect for the audience as much as the characters.

The Doctor would be so eager to help, and the plot could even touch on overstepping and how today’s misunderstandings of people’s mental states can be overwhelming as well even if it’s in kindness.

It could and should be a plot for an episode. A or B. What they’re doing is respectful and amazing for trans inclusiveness no doubt. It’s just showing no respect to the audience. Three minutes being strung along every episode makes me not care when it could be a real plot. The way they’re doing it just sucks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Axe-man posted:

Adira is lucky they were super in love and poo poo cause it would take a whole lot to.transplant a slug into me.

"You know it was only like the 3rd date... I am good on the slug thing. Sorry. Peace out."

The symbiote timeline is pretty weird. The worm was in an admiral who died. The symbiote was transplanted into a teenager, which might make sense if he was the only other trill on board. The trill teenager died. It was then transplanted into Adira, a human who would have been 14 or 15 at the time?!?

How was an experimental cross-species implantation into a minor even an option? When Riker took a worm it made him ill. We know cross-species implantation hasn't improved since TNG because when they visit the trill homeworld all the other trill are surprised it worked at all. There had to be better worm life support options available than throwing it into a random teenager and hoping for the best.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Oh that makes way more sense compared to how the other poster presented it.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I mean you'd think a place where it's a simple procedure to make you into a Klingon and then back to a Human any sort of changes to your body would be EXTREMELY easy

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I'm eager to see what Starfeels is going to do now that the only other "race" that could sporejump (Kwejians) is erased from existence

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

egg tats posted:

the gender stuff sucks so much lmao. last season it was misgendering adira for several episodes before making their coming out into a big event that seems difficult, which is like "cool so in another 1100 years my pronouns are still going to be an exception and an imposition" , and this week it's "medically transitioning is still enough of a process that gray was worried about also asking for an incredibly simple cosmetic surgery"?

Eimi posted:

poo poo sex change is an outpatient surgery in the 24th century, let alone the 31rst.

I immediately think of that one TNG episode where Riker had the face ridges and whatever (was there a hand thing?), where the physical changes are implicitly such a minor thing that the episode doesn't even bother to cover them being applied or removed beyond "yeah, Riker was undercover, cool stuff".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, this episode list for Prodigy on Memory Alpha implies that the hiatuses aren't just Nickelodeon being random, they're done specifically so that people focus on the prestige series?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

DaveKap posted:

I also honestly thought that line was about a Trill host getting a symbiont implanted, a life-changing transitional event that would forever alter his personality and his life, but then again I also missed the mole thing so perhaps I am completely blind to any of the allegory they’re trying to use with Gray. The explicit use of the word “transition” should have been more of a clue, I guess. (I maintain that a viewer that was not aware that either the actor or the character were trans would not have caught it, though.)

Am… am I the viewer that needed Adira to turn directly to the camera to say “THEY/THEM PRONOUNS PLEASE” before I got it??

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Huh, this episode list for Prodigy on Memory Alpha implies that the hiatuses aren't just Nickelodeon being random, they're done specifically so that people focus on the prestige series?

Oh for Christ's sake, it's some kind of Warner Brothers-style bRaNd PuRiTy bullshit isn't it? Kids gotta wait literal months between story blocks on Prodigy because CBS thinks the plebs can't handle two Star Trek shows airing at the same time :rolleyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

From something they said a while ago I don't think it's that so much as they want to maximize how many weeks a year new episodes of Trek drop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carbon dioxide posted:

The utter gently caress?

It goes from the first week of February to loving December.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

Oh that makes way more sense compared to how the other poster presented it.

I mean you'd think a place where it's a simple procedure to make you into a Klingon and then back to a Human any sort of changes to your body would be EXTREMELY easy

In TNG season 2 they cured their doctor of a super-aging virus by sending her through the transporter and using her previous pattern rather than the most recent one, thus de-aging and curing her. Ignoring the obvious issue with erasing her memories or the usual "the transporter is killing you each time" thing, they've had the tech to make fundamental body transformations for 600+ years now with that alone. So yeah, some surgery and hormone adjustments should be trivial by the 3000's in Trek.

As for the Super-Death-Gravity thing, this better not be space global warming, cause there was literally a TNG episode specifically about them discovering and taking action to avoid that too. I want this to be a random environmental phenomenon cause if anyone is to blame I don't trust these writers to not make it real dumb as to how and why someone caused this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

S3 was literally 'overreliance on fossil fuels leads to environmental disaster'.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Alchenar posted:

S3 was literally 'overreliance on fossil fuels leads to environmental disaster'.

Yes, the solution was to find more fossil fuels

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Actual Satan posted:

Yes, the solution was to find more fossil fuels

Correction: 'find more fossil fuels and stop being such a man-child'

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Ok to be fair, that was overreliance on fossil fuels with the resulting incident being "most gas engines explode at the same time one day". Whereas the issue in TNG was "if we keep bashing through our environment in our Space Ford F150's, eventually the environment is going to stop us", which was a much closer analogy for how fossil fuels are boning us. Yes the analogy is there in both, but the cause and solution to it in Disco 3 was entirely irrelevant to the issue.

Which again is why I have little to no faith that if they do try to connect this thing to any kind of intelligent being it's going to get real dumb again.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

Ok to be fair, that was overreliance on fossil fuels with the resulting incident being "most gas engines explode at the same time one day". Whereas the issue in TNG was "if we keep bashing through our environment in our Space Ford F150's, eventually the environment is going to stop us", which was a much closer analogy for how fossil fuels are boning us. Yes the analogy is there in both, but the cause and solution to it in Disco 3 was entirely irrelevant to the issue.

Which again is why I have little to no faith that if they do try to connect this thing to any kind of intelligent being it's going to get real dumb again.
It's the alternate dimension robot space octopus. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The utter gently caress?

It goes from the first week of February to loving December.

Considering it has the last 3 all dropping on New Years Eve I'm hoping those dates are a placeholder and they're basing it off of someone saying "the last 3 episodes will drop later in 2022".

Edit: Looking at the page its not "the last 3" it's actually episodes 11 through 20 all listed as 12-31, so those are definitely placeholder dates.

Edit Edit:

quote:

The 10-episode-long second half of season one will be available on Paramount+ at a later date in 2022, to be announced.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 27, 2021