Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The trans stuff was way too far, but I'm unfortunately not shocked that that's where Howard went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Former Human posted:

Meanwhile Wendy Williams was trying to market herself as the Black Howard Stern or the Female Howard Stern.

It reminds me of all the morning zoo guys and shock jocks who would say Stern sucks but rip off half his bits. There was one show where they even called their producer Bababooey :rolleyes:

In some of the ones I've been listening to (1999?) they discover a Chinese-language radio show (could be a different language though, just guessing) which is just them completely copying the Stern show but in their language. They wouldn't just use nicknames, it was like a transcript of the show or something. At one point you hear their "Stern" say "f*g Ralph" and Jackie completely lost it

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I don't listen to the show now, but from what I've read, there is a LOT of "...and on the phone now..." or "Who's that at the door?" followed by someone doing a terrible impression of like, Greta Thunberg. Sounds absolutely brutal.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

haljordan posted:

I don't listen to the show now, but from what I've read, there is a LOT of "...and on the phone now..." or "Who's that at the door?" followed by someone doing a terrible impression of like, Greta Thunberg. Sounds absolutely brutal.

It's this, and a 30-60 minute "cock talk with Chris Wilding" segment basically every show.

Join the revolution!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

haljordan posted:

Brent's wife posted something on in Instagram saying there was a meeting a while ago where they said the show was heading in the direction of less real, more fake calls, more puppets. Brent didn't like that and decided to leave. I don't care what those dorks have to say but that does seem to be the case with the show, so I do believe them.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Moniker posted:

Brent's wife posted something on in Instagram saying there was a meeting a while ago where they said the show was heading in the direction of less real, more fake calls, more puppets. Brent didn't like that and decided to leave. I don't care what those dorks have to say but that does seem to be the case with the show, so I do believe them.

Poor Brent. That guy's life is a nightmare now. He has to pretend he likes going to various Red Carpet Inns in Florida to watch his wife get railed by strangers.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Brad's big balls, Brad's big balls...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who is this?

It's Katherine McPhee. Stick your midget tongue in my shitpipe.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

Hey there, heres a Ronnie Mund sex tip for Tanksgiving.

Its Tanksgiving right? And you wanna eat toikey, but pussy tastes like chicken, so heas what ya do. Ya stick a toikey leg up ya goil's pussy and get it all nice and juicy, then you start licking that box and it'll taste like a tanksgiving toikey. This has been anotha sex tip from Ronnie "scores man" mund.

Just thought I'd remind you guys about what time of year it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Just thought I'd remind you guys about what time of year it is.

And my review of your original post still stands...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Laughed out loud, genuinely. Thanks for this.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I am Thankful for this thread, and all the amazing posts in it over the years.

Baba booey

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The call in impressions are actually pretty good in my opinion, but they way over use them. They would be funny if they happened every couple of weeks, but the show has become so dependent on them that there are multiple per day and entire segments devoted to just one "guest". And when one of them comes up with something random that is funny, the show will have them back on every other day to do the same bit over and over.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I should call up as fake Ronnie with sex tips.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I am Thankful for this thread, and all the amazing posts in it over the years.

Baba booey

This picture always gets me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

His fingers look like regular plums instead of rotten plums.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Someone plz post that pic there along with one of him bugeyed seeing huge titties

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
NSFW?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

:lol:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

What is an "unpopular" opinion you have of the show? For me, it's not finding any of Gilbert's appearances funny. I don't know what it is, but as soon as Dracula Gilbert comes on a mix, I hit fast forward.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliot Offen and everything involving him outside of his brief 'appearance' in the No Gravity prank call, is awful. Truly and unrelentingly awful.

Also, the best parts of the show, including every era, are when Richard and Sal are involved.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
unpopular opinion: Artie is/was only funny like 50% of the time, and the other 50% he does that I don't like it therefore it sucks schtick where every sentence in the English language that doesn't end with "and then I hosed a supermodel" is gay. it's insanely tedious and now that I listen to full shows rather than curated clips, I notice it happen so much more frequently. you're on a talk show Artie, not every conversation is going to be about the Giants or the Yankees

when he's on, he's on fire. but when he isn't, I just want him to shut the gently caress up so I can hear everybody else

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Elliot Offen and everything involving him outside of his brief 'appearance' in the No Gravity prank call, is awful. Truly and unrelentingly awful.

Also, the best parts of the show, including every era, are when Richard and Sal are involved.

Yeah those Elliot calls during the football pool were brutal. Just unintelligible, non stop screaming.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

haljordan posted:

Yeah those Elliot calls during the football pool were brutal. Just unintelligible, non stop screaming.

Yeah go stick another hairbrush up your rear end!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

barnold posted:

unpopular opinion: Artie is/was only funny like 50% of the time, and the other 50% he does that I don't like it therefore it sucks schtick where every sentence in the English language that doesn't end with "and then I hosed a supermodel" is gay. it's insanely tedious and now that I listen to full shows rather than curated clips, I notice it happen so much more frequently. you're on a talk show Artie, not every conversation is going to be about the Giants or the Yankees

when he's on, he's on fire. but when he isn't, I just want him to shut the gently caress up so I can hear everybody else

Artie going after High Pitch Mike was some of the worst radio I've ever heard. Artie wasn't even attempting to be funny, it was just his virulent homophobia cranked up to 11.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 27, 2021

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I hated John the Stutterer bits. It only took ten seconds of Fred playing the same clips over again to make me tune out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

haljordan posted:

What is an "unpopular" opinion you have of the show? For me, it's not finding any of Gilbert's appearances funny.

:agreed: He's so annoying. I wanted to like his Andrew Dice Clay impression because I hate Andrew Dice Clay and he deserves to be lampooned, but ugh.

Fred was cute in the '90s. I'd have Dial-a-Dated him for sure.

Do I have any more unpopular opinions though? Everyone hated Johnny Fratto and his boring rear end kids, right? Does everyone hate Bigfoot Jr.?

barnold posted:

I always kind of wondered if he would have overcompensated/exaggerated so much if his last name had been Italian and thus his Italian-ness would be more on display without him having to point it out. Like, his whole radio/TV/standup schtick is this blue collar, working class, ignorant New Jersey Italian who despises everything that deviates from his blue collar, working class, ignorant New Jersey Italian norm. Artie was only consistently funny with ETA.

Also, when everyone pointed out that he laughs at all of his own jokes, I couldn't un-notice that.

haljordan posted:

Artie going after High Pitch Mike was some of the worst radio I've ever heard. Artie wasn't even attempting to be funny, it was just his virulent homophobia cranked up to 11.

Yeah, it was horrible, especially considering that he wasn't out at the time. I'm glad he apologized after HPM came out but at the same time, it kind of implies that he would have just kept on throwing homophobic slurs at him if he had been hetero.

edit:

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Fred playing the same clips over again to make me tune out.

Yeah, when they pointed out that Artie laughs at his own jokes, Fred played this high-pitched wheeze-laugh clip like 800 MILLION GRAND times, and it caused my soul to die.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 27, 2021

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
your thoughts eric

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

haljordan posted:

What is an "unpopular" opinion you have of the show? For me, it's not finding any of Gilbert's appearances funny. I don't know what it is, but as soon as Dracula Gilbert comes on a mix, I hit fast forward.

Jim Brewer isn't funny

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Mark the Bagger was completely unfunny, I just didn't get it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I think a lot of people (including myself) agree with both of these.

I also agree with the Artie assessment. He told great stories and could get some solid one liners in, but there were too many times when he was on heroin and would just be brutal to others on the show. And not in a funny, witty way, but downright cruel. Doubly so when he talked about women, it was cringey "try too hard" chauvinism.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 27, 2021

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

thumper57 posted:

1000%. His appearances are the only time in the past 30 years of listening that I ever skipped forward/turned off the show on a regular basis.

Also the most irritating part about Artie's schtick was that he barely knows anything about the Yankees or the Giants or in fact the sports they play, aside from being able to recite the years they bandwagoned him a vicarious championship. Listening to him try and explain how football works to Howard was *excruciating*.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

thumper57 posted:

The Mark the Bagger auto mechanic prank call was fantastic. Other than that, feh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lifespan posted:

I think a lot of people (including myself) agree with both of these.

I guess the Eliot Offen stuff isn't surprising, but even when people talk about the 90s stern, with Billy West, stuff like that, I've heard a lot of it, but it never really clicked with me like literally any Richard and Sal bit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

Sal the Stockbroker is only funny when he melted down about being a racist/stalker who's way less talented than Richard Christy.

I think some of the things he does are funny, but never the things he does when actually trying to be funny.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
And then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaShH-FSnlI

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I posted about it like 10 years ago but as much as I love Tradio I always hated really super christian one where they are reading emails about buying jungle bunnies or whatever. it sounded way too on the nose and scripted for me to believe it was real, and i know i've read here a lot of their calls were faked. but one is just too hard for me to bend my disbelief to to enjoy

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
They definitely edited the gently caress out of those. I think they are funny, but the whole "dropping loads" segment was so heavily edited for timing it was nuts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just hope that this call isn't fake because its my faaaaavorite!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_2XHQucoQ

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

If anyone can make it through this entire broadcast, you're a better person than I am

https://streamable.com/dczbpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haljordan posted:

If anyone can make it through this entire broadcast, you're a better person than I am

https://streamable.com/dczbpo

Infinitely more entertaining, and tangentially related, Tim Heidecker has done a 12-hour long Joe Rogan parody stream.