Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

500 good dogs posted:

I don't know anything about new zealand except the rich are all buying property there for the inevitable collapse of western society. How is that going to work out for them when that collapse is a result of climate?

south island is very fertile, consistently wet, and fairly well moderated temperature-wise across most of the island.

the real pro is that it's the size of california with only like 1m people, and it's an island far gently caress off from most places. the difference between it and california is that more than half of california is pretty much uninhabitable mountains or scorch death deserts and all the more liveable places are packed to the gils.

so it's a good bet for forseeable future because you won't have to worry about water supply or food which is kinda the basic necessities to placate the help. that said climate collapse IS unpredictable but it's predictably-unpredictable enough that it's the relatively best option.

the thing is: socioeconomic degradation and social collapse is like a backed up toilet. it floods over the rim filling the house from the basement first to the roof. there isn't a class conscious component or movement associated with it. and the kicker? the rich are parked in a zepplin tethered high above the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
c'mon thread, stop talking about new zealand before something bad happens :ohdear: don't want it to get wiped off the map before end of next week

"it seems pretty safe annnnndd it's gone."
"gone?"
"yep, new zealand's gone."
"what do mean gone?"
"it's gone. new zealand's gone. 'once in a lifetime' tsunam-earthquake-nado."

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

500 good dogs posted:

I don't know anything about new zealand except the rich are all buying property there for the inevitable collapse of western society. How is that going to work out for them when that collapse is a result of climate?

New Zealand was one of two places forecasted to improve moderately under all climate models, even the most extreme, along with Labrador. And, well, I got bad news about what it's like to live in Labrador.

Granted this forecast is only for a century or two and then it Rubberbands straight to ultra-turbofucked with the rest of the planet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

just imagining a roman scientist just thinking out loud saying “of course it’s the lead pipes which are causing these psychological issues, but these pipes are everywhere and there’s no way we would be able to replace them all, our economy and society depend on them”

the bigger danger was all the lead pots, cups, and tableware as well as lead based sweeteners for wine

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Nov 27, 2021

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

weren't they at the "bomb collars" stage of things last time we talked about this? i imagine they moved on to something like "all food is poisoned and only me and my descendants will have the genetic modification that makes my piss contain the antidote which needs to be taken regularly" or something equally insane
this will be the actual solution. you're a visionary

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

trump will fund it singlehandedly

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Thinking about it, my PCP didn't look at my tonsils or throat when I went in for my yearly physical earlier this month. I never took my mask off.

Yearly physicals for healthy adults have no benefits

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVxqr63aXI

very confused about what this channel is exactly though, it has the most boring description I've ever seen

quote:

This channel is all about helping professionals in the association industry thrive. Whether you are starting out or are a seasoned association professional, you’ll find plenty of tips, advice, and tactics to be successful in the association industry.

We love to talk about marketing, social media for associations, leadership and governance, event trends, and also helping you start your association consulting business and boosting your career in associations.

If you love associations, you came to the right place.

Welcome home.

:effort:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/50ShadesofVan/status/1464393984479014915/photo/1

BC Pre-Emptively Closes Highways in advance of Atmospheric River

quote:

"Highway 1 between Popkum and Hope will also be closed on Saturday afternoon due to reservoir releases by BC Hydro, crucial to protect the Jones Lake Reservoir, which is also being affected by the heavy rains.

Each release will discharge additional water toward areas of Highway 1 that were previously affected in the Nov. 14 storm. This additional flow – combined with the increased precipitation and already high stream flows – poses a risk of impact to Highway 1 in the Laidlaw area.

A reopening time for Highway 1 between Popkum and Hope is undetermined as it is expected that these combinations of events will result in further damage to Highway 1. Crews will undertake assessment when it is safe to do so, and equipment will be on standby for repairs. "

So where does "Government admits it will be forced to further damage critical infrastructure - to avoid damaging other, more critical infrastructure" sit on the scale of LOL to LMAOOOOoooo 4 Evah, because right now I am extremely vibing that "things" are "getting out of hand" globally this year in wild and utterly mesmerizing ways. :magical:

LOL.

LMAO.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

so i wake up and drink tea every morning, right?

i decided to go look into this

gently caress

I can't floss my teeth or wear contacts to see or drink water or breathe without plastics getting in my brain

And now I can't even enjoy a cup of tea, the only thing that makes life in this stupid plastic hell world tolerable, without thinking about the hot plastic stew I'm ingesting

Yeah sure loose tea leaves blah blah but I can't gently caress around with tea leaves at my stupid job I keep doing so I can pay bills so I can keep living in this stupid world ingesting more plastic

Enfys has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Nov 27, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

an egg posted:

trump will fund it singlehandedly

since he never pays for anything the mad scientist who cooks this up will have an additional lysine clause built in so he ends up dying of debt after all

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I mean I leaned years ago I can't huck my used tea bags straight into the compost because the bags don't decompose oh god damnit

Every time I think I've accepted things some tiny detail that isn't any worse than anything else comes along and just destroys me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Yeah, no poo poo, but if we don't give our legal drug dealers their yearly cut of our medical insurance in the US they don't renew the refills to our meds. :mad:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
will Vancouver end up abandoned before Miami?!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, no poo poo, but if we don't give our legal drug dealers their yearly cut of our medical insurance in the US they don't renew the refills to our meds. :mad:

I didn't say you shouldn't go, somebody's gotta pay for the steak and lobster every night.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

My benefit is that they don't charge me an extra $600/year. I'm basically forced by my insurance to use it for 1 annual exam and 2 checkups (dentist/eye doctor/obgyn/etc) or they raise your insurance by $50/mo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Rime posted:

So where does "Government admits it will be forced to further damage critical infrastructure - to avoid damaging other, more critical infrastructure" sit on the scale of LOL to LMAOOOOoooo 4 Evah, because right now I am extremely vibing that "things" are "getting out of hand" globally this year in wild and utterly mesmerizing ways. :magical:

LOL.

LMAO.

:rubby:

as the siege of vancouver by rainstorms enters it's 3rd week, canadian forces are sacrificing highways as a defensive measure

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Enfys posted:

gently caress

I can't floss my teeth or wear contacts to see or drink water or breathe without plastics getting in my brain

And now I can't even enjoy a cup of tea, the only thing that makes life in this stupid plastic hell world tolerable, without thinking about the hot plastic stew I'm ingesting

Yeah sure loose tea leaves blah blah but I can't gently caress around with tea leaves at my stupid job I keep doing so I can pay bills so I can keep living in this stupid world ingesting more plastic

not sure how serious you are but if you really wanted you could make or buy cloth tea pouches and fill them yourself. or just buy paper ones instead of plastic ones

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

jetz0r posted:

as the siege of vancouver by rainstorms enters it's 3rd week, canadian forces are sacrificing highways as a defensive measure

as long as they don't get it in their heads sacrificing first nations might help

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jetz0r posted:

defense in depth, man

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

i'm not going to look into how much plastic is in weed T_T just...don't tell me....

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alobar posted:

i'm not going to look into how much plastic is in weed T_T just...don't tell me....

weed can't hurt you

:yaycat:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Cloks posted:

weed can't hurt you

:yaycat:

:yeeclaw:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tea bag people you literally only need an infuser like https://www.forlifedesignusa.com/collections/infusers-tea-gadgets/products/folding-handle-tea-infuser-with-carrying-case and a bag of loose leaf tea. presumably you have a way of getting boiling water into a mug. I did this every day at work in the before times.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i got a big piece of cast iron i put on my stove with water in it then i put a metal strainer in it and that's how i make tea. it's from japan i think. and if all i had was a campfire i'm pretty sure i could chuck it there and make tea. or i guess i could take my electric kettle and pour hot water in there but i'm a tea snob and the temperature wouldn't be right because the cast iron would absorb some heat

anyway get a cast iron teapot you can use it to make tea or crush the skulls of your enemies

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cabbages and Kings posted:

on the left is a set of plastic toys my wife had as a kid which our older kid loves (and generally she is past the point of sticking non food poo poo in her mouth). On the right is a compatible set that I got off eBay as a christmas present, to let them build bigger structures.

the left is undated with a metal tin that is dented, scratched, and otherwise very intact; the right is dated 1977 and by this point the Molenaar toy company had switched to a plastic top, which is cracked severely and clearly will need to be covered in duct tape before my kid destroys it.

Not that interesting, I know, but I just thought it was funny that the plastic toys started with the metal lid, and then went to the plastic lid, and it is worse both because plastic and because it actually does a worse job serving the intended purpose :rubby:

Lol

Lmao

munce
Oct 23, 2010

The Collapse Economy
https://eand.co/the-collapse-economy-9eee635756c2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Leftists should really be seeding themselves into private security forces to help organize these uprisings

Great news, they're full of ex special ops types, aka true believing authoritarians

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

isn’t that a tautology? of course screening people who are healthy wouldn’t fix anything, we’re trying to find the unhealthy ones.

quote:

Most of the commonly used individual screening tests offered in general health checks have been incompletely studied. Also, screening leads to increased use of diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, which can be harmful

it’d help if they stopped treating people harmfully

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
"Total Societal Collapse" by 2040, says new study of infamous 1970s MIT report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE50z-C-gGA
maybe optimistic

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Nov 27, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

Great news, they're full of ex special ops types, aka true believing authoritarians

So are labor unions, the important thing is to convince them to shoot their billionaire boss when he breaks out the bomb collars.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Realistic re-boot 10 years later:

we discover a perfect habitable planet 6,000 light years away

we have a lot of people claim they are working on FTL to make money

wars are fought over the secrets to FTL to reach salvation

turns out it FTL never existed and the perfectly habitable planet was a trick by Exxon to boost it's quarterly profits to get a better share dividend in Q3 2038

the actual realistic reboot:

we load everyone into generation ships and put them into cryo sleep

on the way to the new planet, the ships' autopilots, designed by tesla, make a left turn directly into an asteroid belt and wipes out the entire human race

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

the actual realistic reboot:

on the way to the new planet, the ships' autopilots, designed by tesla, make a left turn directly into an asteroid belt and wipes out the entire human race

the actual reality:

on the way to the new planet, some random piece of space rock punches through the ship and everyone dies

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the actual reality:

on the way to the new planet, some random piece of space rock punches through the ship and everyone dies

the actual reality:

we load maybe a few people into generation ships with our best approximation of a closed system to live and work in

everyone dies within ten years because we have no idea how to do that

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A group of stray high energy particles flip an unfortunate set of bits that through a series of errors wakes up some dumbass, they wander the ship for years unable to operate any of the automated controls before finding a big red button.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Enfys posted:

gently caress

If it helps you feel better you can almost certainly find a tea brand that just uses paper bags.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Complications posted:

the actual reality:

we load maybe a few people into generation ships with our best approximation of a closed system to live and work in

everyone dies within ten years because we have no idea how to do that

not sure if supposed to vote for these, but this is the only plausible one

we'll make it work on the way, they'll sya

and no, no they won't

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Koirhor posted:

will Vancouver end up abandoned before Miami?!

How much real estate capital will be wiped off the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only way I could foresee is a level of science that's beyond us. At the lowest end, some form of chelation that binds with microplastics *just in your bloodstream* and filters them out like heavy metals. That might be doable inside of a decade. It might also be *dangerous as gently caress* because *blood clots* are dangerous enough and I'd imagine a plastic clot wouldn't be fun or easy to unblock.

Or something like a dialysis machine. Something that people with money could afford to do often.