Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LionYeti posted:

Yeah I know about New Era and RMP (not supporting primos premier because they allowed that stupid stupid stupid spot that went around a few months back where the guy broke his neck). I was more saying how can I try and not let my hightened expectations after watching so much AEW/NJPW/Dragon Gate ruin the show if these guys are ya know not at AEW NJPW level which is completely unfair to expect them to be but I can't shut my brain off.

I think you just have to look at it as a different level of product - like if you're playing a pickup basketball game in someone's driveway, you're not doing sick dunks and pro level 3 pointers. I travel a lot for work so I pop into a lot of indies local to wherever I am at the time, and 99% of the time the wrestling is mediocre (aside from guest spots and main events, usually). Not being particularly amazing comes with the territory.

One thing to remember though is that the reason is because these people are cutting their teeth and trying to make it in a highly competitive industry with limited spots, and some of them are still very much rookies who just love the business. For me, the appeal there is watching them improve over time, and see who washes out or succeeds. Those who are more experienced can either be royalty in a nowhere promotion, or try to get scouted and signed to a bigger one where they'd be a relative nobody. But then every once in a while you'll see someone become a big deal and you can say "Hey, I know that guy" and have some cred for watching them slog it out on the indies before they made it big.

Also, go with friends. It's way more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

LionYeti posted:

Yeah I know about New Era and RMP (not supporting primos premier because they allowed that stupid stupid stupid spot that went around a few months back where the guy broke his neck). I was more saying how can I try and not let my hightened expectations after watching so much AEW/NJPW/Dragon Gate ruin the show if these guys are ya know not at AEW NJPW level which is completely unfair to expect them to be but I can't shut my brain off.

Let the crowd carry you (and don’t be the guy chanting smark poo poo). Watch for promise and potential, too — who’s developing in front of your eyes? Who’s gonna be great someday? But really the key thing is joining in, being a fan rather than an observer. Chant along with people. Let the doofy spot be a holy poo poo moment for you; join in even if you don’t totally feel it, cause yelling it will help you feel it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Live and in person indie wrestling is virtually always loving awesome no matter how crappy the work is, really.

I have seen some absolute dogshit and still had a great time, it’s more dependant on the crowd than anything to carry it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What happened to Beef Wellington?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Lid posted:

What happened to Beef Wellington?

The rear end Punch guy? I think he retired because his body was wrecked.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's the origin of the "Road Dogg preferred the grey" joke?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
WWE released a shirt for Jordan Myles (ACH) that was weird and racist. It was supposedly meant to resemble the Rolling Stones logo but it looked like blackface. Anyway the shirt was black but it was reported that Road Dogg “preferred the grey” option.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it looked like racist caricatures that were prominent in cartoons and on merchandise from the early 20th century such as the film Little Black Sambo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

actually that film isn't a good example of the exact issue. i've never seen it and don't want to. But the general point is right and it's all enough that you can figure everything out. you probably can on your own from the last post about blackface or even before any posts. You probably would look at the shirt and say ohh yep.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Oooh okay. I remember the shirt but not the comment.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i about said that you would probably say oooh okay, but i changed it to ohh yep. bad move

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Better luck next time buddy boy!!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why are people saying Edge has tanked his Hall of Fame induction since his return? What is the criteria for induction and what specifically about Edge's abysmal return has excluded him from entering?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why are people saying Edge has tanked his Hall of Fame induction since his return? What is the criteria for induction and what specifically about Edge's abysmal return has excluded him from entering?

The criteria are ability as a performer, drawing power and influence and his matches haven't been great and he has been such a non factor as an attraction that his WM main event became a three way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He basically just should have stayed gone so people would remember him as a good worker who was still a draw, rather than an old guy who came back and nobody cared after the first match.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Edge's return did do one great thing which is exposed how Randy Orton is at a HOF level either

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Kosmo Gallion posted:

In addition to the above there was an unofficisl standard in the past decade for HoF inductees called The Edge Line. Edge was the exact barometer of Hall of Fame worthiness - anyone above him clearly a Hall of Famer, anyone below him clearly not. It was used when referencing "edge" cases - like Randy Orton who no one could argue really was above Edge and kepy his HoF chances dashed before they died completley.

Edge's return has been such a failure The Edge Line isn't even reliable now as a metric as now there are clearly people way more entitled than him that still likely won't go in, like Samoa Joe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Why has Edge's return been so bad? I have only watched that terrible Wrestlemania 36 match that somehow went nearly 37 minutes, but felt like it went over an hour.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Twin Cinema posted:

Why has Edge's return been so bad? I have only watched that terrible Wrestlemania 36 match that somehow went nearly 37 minutes, but felt like it went over an hour.

Because his entire run and subsequent push is simply an act of desperation on the part of WWE. They haven't built anyone up who's credible anymore, so they're looking more and more to the past in hopes of finding anyone they haven't ruined yet.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

A lot of it has just been the terrible booking, but Edge is not a guy built for modern day WWE. He always worked a little recklessly so without the ability to get a little crazy in the ring his actual work is limited and his sense of humour is antithetical to WWE scripting so his promos are lifeless and drawn out.

It also doesn't help that Christian is having an awesome twilight run in AEW basically doing everything he used to do and doing it well, so the hollow shell of Edge's return is even more glaring.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
CM Punk also hurt him by showing that stars from that late 2000s early 2010s era can come back and be amazing. Hell Punk's run is going to make him a favourite for getting into the Hall of Fame this year after his odds got less and less likely as people focused on his lol MMA, his personality, and that in ring he was sloppy, and that modern reasoning was sloppy = bad worker when it turns out you can be sloppy when you're a God of in ring storytelling.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he looks like the walking specter of death op

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Has anyone heard stories about Kobashi training his chops by practicing on the wall? I heard it from my wrestling trainer.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's called the money plane.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Edge also got dealt a bad hand with his first singles match being the no audience mania and his style really not working without crowd reaction. Just set a bad tone for the rest of the comeback that Edge couldn't really comeback from

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's called the a money plane.

Some of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet are on that plane

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pinche Rudo posted:

Has anyone heard stories about Kobashi training his chops by practicing on the wall? I heard it from my wrestling trainer.
http://puroprogramtranslations.blogspot.com/2020/02/fist-of-youth-fight-hard-believe-in.html

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Seams posted:

WWE released a shirt for Jordan Myles (ACH) that was weird and racist. It was supposedly meant to resemble the Rolling Stones logo but it looked like blackface. Anyway the shirt was black but it was reported that Road Dogg “preferred the grey” option.

Speaking of racism...

My random memory musings made me recall someone saying in the early 80's how "The Junkyard Dog ruled the South, making more money (and scoring more drugs-this part is irrelevant here) than anyone thought possible" and how Bill Watts in the 80's had a preference for taking a black face and building the company around him.

And considering the VERY LARGE CHASMS OF ROT that have become very clear the last several years, when most people realized racism wasn't a dying viewpoint whose outliers got a disproportionate amount of attention, but something that just went underground and hid its size until recent assholes told them they could come out and proudly be POS, I really do wonder how this worked in the South. Was it the equivalent of a minstrel show? Like, was the secret viewpoint "Look at the N***** pretend he's one of us, ha ha so entertaining, let's cheer him so he thinks he's accepted" or some weird psychological process like that? I mean, Watts basically got booted out of the business because he did an interview where he talked about how restaurant owners shouldn't have to serve black people if they don't want to, so I have a feeling he had some severely compartmentalized ideas about black wrestlers.

I just wonder how it worked, is all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of racism...

My random memory musings made me recall someone saying in the early 80's how "The Junkyard Dog ruled the South, making more money (and scoring more drugs-this part is irrelevant here) than anyone thought possible" and how Bill Watts in the 80's had a preference for taking a black face and building the company around him.

And considering the VERY LARGE CHASMS OF ROT that have become very clear the last several years, when most people realized racism wasn't a dying viewpoint whose outliers got a disproportionate amount of attention, but something that just went underground and hid its size until recent assholes told them they could come out and proudly be POS, I really do wonder how this worked in the South. Was it the equivalent of a minstrel show? Like, was the secret viewpoint "Look at the N***** pretend he's one of us, ha ha so entertaining, let's cheer him so he thinks he's accepted" or some weird psychological process like that? I mean, Watts basically got booted out of the business because he did an interview where he talked about how restaurant owners shouldn't have to serve black people if they don't want to, so I have a feeling he had some severely compartmentalized ideas about black wrestlers.

It worked because JYD was hugely charismatic and cities like New Orleans had huge black populations where he was an incredible drawing card at his peak.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

King poo poo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What exactly makes NOAH’s booking of its juniors division ”weird” instead of just straight-up bad? I’ve seen it said multiple times here, including just now in the MOTYC thread. I haven’t watched any of it so I don’t really have any idea what would make the booking so weird.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of racism...

Black people like wrestling too and their money spends just as well as white people’s once you take it from them, is pretty much the long and the short of it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

a cyborg mug posted:

What exactly makes NOAH’s booking of its juniors division ”weird” instead of just straight-up bad? I’ve seen it said multiple times here, including just now in the MOTYC thread. I haven’t watched any of it so I don’t really have any idea what would make the booking so weird.

Other than NOSAWA going over way too much, not many of the match results are ones that feel terrible. However they have a tendency to form factions and very quickly thereafter split those factions, or have betrayals and reunions that just feel like they're going directly against where the story felt like it was going.

An example of this: Kotaro Suzuki has been back in NOAH for about three years at this point. In that time he feuded with YO-HEY, formed Stinger with YO-HEY and Ogawa weeks later, kicked YO-HEY out of Stinger, started feuding with him again, won the junior tag titles with Ogawa, turned on Ogawa, disbanded Stinger, teamed with Ogawa again, re-formed Stinger, got kicked out of Stinger, brought in a mystery partner to feud with Stinger, was turned on by that mystery partner who then joined Stinger, and then formed Los Perros Del Mal with... YO-HEY.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Add to that matches that seem to go too long just for the hell of it. NOSAWA loves his time limit draws (Mutoh in the N-1 was straight up bad for this), Ogawa went 35 minutes with Kiyomiya, both the heavys and juniors had a 55 minute elimination match.

It's not like these are bad matches, but they could easily go half the time and they would have been more enjoyable

e: I remembered a list I'd made in the N-1 thread about the last 2 years of Jr tag reigns, which illustrates how chaotic the division is

quote:

Stinger (Ogawa/Suzuki)
RATELs (Harada/Tadasuke)
Stinger (Kotoge/Suzuki)
RATELs (Hayata/Yo-Hey)
Vacant
Stinger (Hayata/Ogawa)
Momo no Seishun (Kotoge/Harada)
Stinger (Hayata/Ogawa)
Momo no Seishun (Ohara/Harada)
Stinger (Yoshioka/Susumu)
Momo No Seishun (Ohara/Kotoge)
Perros del Mal de Japon (Eita/NOSAWA)

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 27, 2021

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
2-part question:

What would be the standard definition of a "sprint" when it comes to a match (general speed of work, actual match time, little of both?), and what are some of the best examples thereof?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

FakePoet posted:

2-part question:

What would be the standard definition of a "sprint" when it comes to a match (general speed of work, actual match time, little of both?), and what are some of the best examples thereof?

I'd say a little of both. No more than ten minutes.

And it's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpJpe4jZhNA

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Wow that match slaps

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
That's great, and exactly what my mind sees when I think of such a match.

Unrelated personal note: KENTA is, weirdly, what exposed me to indy wrestling. I just randomly stumbled upon a match, I think against Joe, and it blew my mind.

Was really sad to me, the whole WWE thing with him.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m bored. Name you’re Fave 5 wrestling shows of all time.
Note: favourite and best are not the same thing.

Mine are:

WWF Wrestlemania 17
WWE Wrestlemania 30
Chikara King of Trios 2010
PWG Steen Wolf
AEW (all of them)

No particular order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sandman McMahon posted:

I’m bored. Name you’re Fave 5 wrestling shows of all time.
Note: favourite and best are not the same thing.

Mine are:

WWF Wrestlemania 17
WWE Wrestlemania 30
Chikara King of Trios 2010
PWG Steen Wolf
AEW (all of them)

No particular order

In no real order
NOAH Destiny 2005
IWA Mid South Ted Petty Invitational 2006 Night 2
Ring of Honor Final Battle 2006
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12
Dragongate Dangerous Gate 2017

So you've got the legendary stacked NOAH Tokyo Dome show, the TPI which is both an amazing show & also just a fantastic encapsulation of the US indie scene from the time when I was most into it (seriously, look at that card), probably no coincidence Final Battle '06 is from the same year, it has great matches but mostly it is about the emotional pay-off to the fantastically built Homicide chase for the World Title (plus the end of company defining Danielson's run on top). WK12 is here because without it I'd not be watching wrestling in the obscene quantities that I am, it completely reinvigorated my interest. Dangerous Gate '17, one of my favourite wrestlers wins the top title in a great match & it's not even the main thing I've got this card in this list for: the absolutely perfectly booked & executed Jimmyz vs VerserK Losing Unit Disbands match. I still mourn the loss of Jimmyz.