Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

when i heard its a tag fighter i lost all interest lol.

happy for the marvel people tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

marvel people are busy trying to bring back marvel 2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was lightning in a bottle!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I already played Runeterra, I'm in the moral hole so might as well play Project L for a bit just to check if it's any good.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

If Project L is good, I'll just do what I did with Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated: wait a month and buy it used. Then I can enjoy it without having to worry about my money going to assholes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thundersword238 posted:

If Project L is good, I'll just do what I did with Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated: wait a month and buy it used. Then I can enjoy it without having to worry about my money going to assholes.

There is absolutely 0 chance it's not free to play with microtransactions.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I am kind of glad I missed the League of Legends train when a lot of my IRL friends were huge into it in college because I found the in-game chat really unpleasant and toxic and it was a profound turnoff for me to get berated by anonymous dicks when I wasn't playing full games with people I knew.

I know this isn't the Castle Superbeast thread, but I do see the point Pat raised in the last podcast episode about how it's easy to boycott Blizzard when everything they've got now is dogshit, but it's incredibly hard to do the same thing for Riot when you see so much positive hype around the Netflix show and their new games coming up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I used to play Dota 2 I've been boycotting Riot products for like a decade now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ailumao posted:

There is absolutely 0 chance it's not free to play with microtransactions.

That is the case.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know this isn't the Castle Superbeast thread, but I do see the point Pat raised in the last podcast episode about how it's easy to boycott Blizzard when everything they've got now is dogshit, but it's incredibly hard to do the same thing for Riot when you see so much positive hype around the Netflix show and their new games coming up.

Luckily I've hated Riot's aesthetic senses for a while now along with the whole deal of former worker horror stories, so any of their hype slides right off me.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 25, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I am kind of glad I missed the League of Legends train when a lot of my IRL friends were huge into it in college because I found the in-game chat really unpleasant and toxic and it was a profound turnoff for me to get berated by anonymous dicks when I wasn't playing full games with people I knew.

https://twitter.com/LlamaestLady/status/1462426210714148871?t=Li6cpM5HwRs7b25Y-ImI3w&s=19

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Ah, I was unaware it was going free to play! Yeah, I'll probably skip out on it then. Even if I don't spend money on it, the download will probably boost Riot anyway, and I try to avoid that as much as possible nowadays.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly a fighting game makes more sense to be free to play than a moba. After a month or two trying out the free rotation you’ll have an idea of your main and that’s it.

Still don’t love the idea, as it’s obviously going to make you spend far more than $60 on a game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Killer Instinct 2013 was a pretty good fighting game that had that model. They eventually just released a retail version with all the characters, but I doubt Riot will do the same.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

I used to play Dota 2 I've been boycotting Riot products for like a decade now.

I wonder if anyone at Riot/Valve is annoyed/smug about their rpg not being an epic games store exclusive.

Some of the LoL spinoff stuff seems cool but it bugs me how they seem to be flying under the radar with Blizzard being so much worse.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I feel like I'm in a unique place cause I truly loved league for so long, in the last couple years of high-school and the few years of unemployed depression after it was the only thing I could bring myself to do so I consumed everything related to it and spent all day reading about it on forums and making friends working on weird community projects playing constantly. But after a while all my friends moved on and I swapped to dota then sorted my life out and stopped playing that kind of game entirely.
So I have a very deep and emotional connection to a version of league that doesn't exist and all this new stuff and hype is confusing cause of all the insane sex abuse poo poo and the fact it technically is the game I loved but it's also like a weird alternate dimension version where they updated remade rewrote and redesigned every part of it several times since I last engaged with the game.
Idk why I wrote all that... I guess I wish they put out a bunch of cool poo poo before I knew they were all creeps and when I actually liked their game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Instead of playing the League of Legends RPG you could play the superior Battle Chasers: Nightwar by the same developers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm just looking forward to how bad their MMO is going to be.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

peter rosenthal demonstrates why he's the preeminent film critic of our time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywRHfNochrs

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Killer Instinct 2013 was a pretty good fighting game that had that model. They eventually just released a retail version with all the characters, but I doubt Riot will do the same.

I can see them doing what Fantasy Strike did when it became free to play: you could play the entire roster, go online and play other people, but if you wanted to play any single player content, you had to buy it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA40UWIktDs

BardicBroadcasts does his yearly youtube video, this time on artbooks, especially The Complete Elmore artbook.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Instead of playing the League of Legends RPG you could play the superior Battle Chasers: Nightwar by the same developers.

I actually bought Ruined King when I learned it was the same devs. Nightwar was a fun little RPG.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA40UWIktDs

BardicBroadcasts does his yearly youtube video, this time on artbooks, especially The Complete Elmore artbook.

ty for posting this goofy guy, i constantly forget his account name but every time he pops up i enjoy watching his videos. it feels like im at a friends house and their really nerdy dad or uncle is explaining something to me that i know about but dont have a passion in. his enthusiasm is infectious and he's deliberately silly without overselling it. also i like art books

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

fun hater posted:

ty for posting this goofy guy, i constantly forget his account name but every time he pops up i enjoy watching his videos. it feels like im at a friends house and their really nerdy dad or uncle is explaining something to me that i know about but dont have a passion in. his enthusiasm is infectious and he's deliberately silly without overselling it. also i like art books

When You Galaxy covered Heroquest he straight up said the best video about it already existed and was BB's "Best Thing About Heroquest".

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

New Cosmonaut Marcus!

"Why I Hate Live-Action Anime Adaptations"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9I-s2UwxZk

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 28, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Jamie Faith posted:

This but unironically.

Malls are fun.

glee is stored in the malls

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zetsubou-san posted:

glee is stored in the malls

lmfao :discourse:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSeZBw7G0Q&hd=1

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anything missed the point of show more than the plethora of "Squid Game in real life!" videos?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Critikal did an okay version of it, since he seemed to just be having fun and also awarded money to more than just the last one standing.

"My favorite vtuber was not mentioned. Burn the internet."

On a more serious note, I am saddened to be reminded that Vtubers have to deal with the same old consequences of parasocial relationships and in the case of that one tuber, their company wont even stick up for them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DeafNote posted:

Critikal did an okay version of it, since he seemed to just be having fun and also awarded money to more than just the last one standing.

"My favorite vtuber was not mentioned. Burn the internet."

On a more serious note, I am saddened to be reminded that Vtubers have to deal with the same old consequences of parasocial relationships and in the case of that one tuber, their company wont even stick up for them.

Vtubers are an extension of the Idol industry and holy gently caress is the Idol industry a horrible place.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It has its roots in the idol industry, but the vast majority of vtubers are not beholden to that sort of hosed up construct. I think really the only ones that still compare are the two major players, nijisanji and hololive, and even then they are given a lot of freedom. The things nijisanji EN say on stream in particular are extraordinarily un-idol-like at times, but that's also part of the appeal, the lack of filter is super entertaining a lot of the time. Hololive is the most idol industry-like out of the two of them for sure.

And vshojo, well, they can basically do whatever they want and the main corporation has very little say over what the talents do, which is nice.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 27, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finished watching the video, it's a solid primer on the history of vtubers. It'd be cool if he did a followup after speaking to some prominent vtubers (some of which, like pomu rainpuff, have already posted on the video asking to collab lol) about the benefits of vtubing from the perspective of the creator, how they do their work, what their schedules are like, how drama and overexuberant fans are/should be handled, etc.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DeafNote posted:

The weird poo poo that happened with Towa was honestly a pretty isolated incident, and it actually kinda catapulted her into fame with english fans because they all went "hey what the gently caress is this bullshit" leading to a massive boost to subscribers. She now openly talks with male fans and friends while streaming and collabs with dudes all the time. It was in a strange time for the company, going from a niche product that no one gave a poo poo about into a leader in a booming international industry. Considering they stood by their people and closed down their Chinese branch instead of bowing to pressure after someone showed a graphic of their international viewership and Taiwan was included, I think it's not as vicious as it could be.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Archer666 posted:

Vtubers are an extension of the Idol industry and holy gently caress is the Idol industry a horrible place.

And once the money/media consolidates into almost entirely the megacorps they're all the plusses of an idols, minus the pesky person owning their appearance if they decide to leave or when they have the nerve to get old.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

stillvisions posted:

And once the money/media consolidates into almost entirely the megacorps they're all the plusses of an idols, minus the pesky person owning their appearance if they decide to leave or when they have the nerve to get old.

Its extremely funny that people keep trying to float this idea as if the one time it was ever tried didn’t immediately spiral into an unmitigated, incredibly embarrassing disaster for the company.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its extremely funny that people keep trying to float this idea as if the one time it was ever tried didn’t immediately spiral into an unmitigated, incredibly embarrassing disaster for the company.

And kson showed just a few months ago that an audience will stay with a popular personality, even if they quit/change companies and switch to an entirely different persona.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It's extremely funny that people think the wild west days of a new fandom/media think that somehow the good times of strong indie involvement is going to continue indefinitely.

Corporate overreach always gets the backlash the first time, and then sooner or later it just happens.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

stillvisions posted:

It's extremely funny that people think the wild west days of a new fandom/media think that somehow the good times of strong indie involvement is going to continue indefinitely.

Corporate overreach always gets the backlash the first time, and then sooner or later it just happens.
ok doomer.

kizuna ai showed they could not simply replace the person behind the avatar without disastrous consequences. now instead they create a new avatar for new talents, and when that person leaves, they retire the character. perfect example: Coco, the #1 superchatted youtuber in the world, they didn't try to replace her, they simply retired the character when the person behind it went independent.

now, what we don't know for certain but a lot of people assume, is there's NDAs involved with saying you're the former [character at hololive/nijisanji] outright. though people seem to figure it out pretty quickly anyways from their mannerisms or hints, such as with kson, or the seemingly popular folks who "mysteriously" retired right before a new crop of nijisanji vtubers appeared.

I'm all for the vshojo style of agency, where they are extremely hands off with their talent, mostly providing background support for the front-facing people rather than moderating their output and such.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god where is cum when you need him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
banned again lol