Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

No need to be anxious I'm sure Vinland Saga will timeskip past anything interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
greetings of course vary by culture, but i think an open right hand to a stranger is about as universal as it gets

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Vinland Saga 185

https://read-vinlandsaga.com/manga/vinland-saga-chapter-185/

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of A Bride's Tale. I'm not saying anything but Nice Horse

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brought To You By posted:

New chapter of A Bride's Tale. I'm not saying anything but Nice Horse

haha, i thought i was ready for it, but i was wrong. a nice horse indeed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new vinland saga

Bug-Eyes is useful!

I can't wait for this hopeful setting to burn tragically!!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
catching up round 179 and im genuinely surprised Vinland Saga took two chapters to get to Vinland. This after the Roman adventures are offscreen...Is there any sense that the author is being rushed to finish this? Look at say, a novel like Tom Holt's Meadowlands. There's a lot of drama and intrigue and historical factoids to be mined from the Atlantic voyage, especially such a historical and legendary one such as this.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think there was anything thematically relevant in Constantinople. It was an understandable destination to take our characters back into the Baltic where the thematically important stuff went down.

I think the author was probably rushing to get to exactly the kind of chapter we just had- chapters about exploring and understanding. The whole rest of the manga seems like it was just to give context for what perspectives the Norse were bringing with them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
manga can be as long as the author/publisher needs it to be, and any number of chapters can cover any period of time (like lol HxH covering like 20 minutes over 30 chapters or whatever), so its probably the author preferring to get to this kind of setup and exploring the settler vs indigenous peoples vibe rather than the further politics of the fleet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Vinland Saga makes me super nervous.

I really want this whole "making a new home overseas while being friends with the people who already live there" to work so bad, but there's several landmines which are waiting to blow :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, there's that, and (big spoilers for future events I guess)the historical events that happened that I guess we will see if it will follow to the letter or if this will be alt-history

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new (kind of old) chapter of otoyomegatari

in which we see the most direct courting arc yet in this series

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

new (kind of old) chapter of otoyomegatari

in which we see the most direct courting arc yet in this series

I just heard phantom Oprah in my head while reading this chapter. YOU get a wife, and YOU get a wife, and YOUUUUU get a wife. I'm happy for the three amigos

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ain’t nothing more traditional than marriage horse racing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New Vinland.

Manga's definitely been up and down in the last act, but this one feels like it hits the right notes.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I liked this chapter a lot. I like when this series can be hopeful about the future.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

A bit odd that the shaman suddenly speaks the same language as her but presumably that will be explained and isn't a convenient oversight.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I thought it was vision/hallucination/dream.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Doesn't seem like it, she reacts to them getting closer to her so they didn't just appear there. If there's to be a ritual in the next chapter it'd help if she has contact with the shaman first. Makes it seem like they're not the first settlers/visitors to arrive. Did Leif leave someone behind? He's been here briefly before, right?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
doesn't the shaman know their language from contact with previous would be settlers?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The chapter's titled "Hild and the God of the Forest" people.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Vinland is

Something

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Uggh. It kind of hurts. I kind of want this to become a what if story that would show what would happen if the Norse where not driven away.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Awww sad :(

https://mangadex.org/chapter/42bd2547-2912-4a9b-9ede-e0716934c9ab

Chapter for those looking

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It could still turn around. Doesn't look like it will but it could. The saddest thing is that killing Torfinn and co doesn't matter. Men with guns will come anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think my issue is conflict sparking over this hand of god vision business, rather than anything the characters actually do. I'm sure those sword dipshits will get their moment of course but still.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, visions from God have been instigators in a number of historical conflicts so it's not particularly unrealistic in that sense, but getting a crash course on the entire military history of the next few hundred years is a bit silly.

Visually impressive, but storywise a bit much

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brandfarlig posted:

It could still turn around. Doesn't look like it will but it could. The saddest thing is that killing Torfinn and co doesn't matter. Men with guns will come anyway.

Well things will for sure happen that way only if they get rid of Thorfinn

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think the specificity of the vision was for the readers to contemplate and go :smith: about.

In terms of the plot, Misqe'g Pi'gw believes the Norse are bad news. That's a plausible conclusion to reach, with or without specific knowledge of nuclear weapons. If he's more fervent and certain than would be "rational" for what his character "actually" knows, well, he had a vision. The fact that his vision is accurate and not a mad dream is just dramatic irony, as far as the plot is concerned. Though it's obviously a lot more meaningful as far as the themes are concerned.

Reflecting on this chapter: The Norse in the Misqe'g Pi'gw's vision aren't Thorfinn's Norse. There's time for Thorfinn and some of the settlers to learn to live a more balanced life. The tragedy is that Thorfinn can't create the refuge he wanted. He wanted a utopia on the edge of the world where it could thrive, out of the way, as a kind of final Iceland, where people can flee to to avoid conflict. Except the world has no edges. The best he could do is take his loved ones and join the Mi'kmaq... their descendants would probably be better equipped to deal with small pox. If they avoid being killed, driven into land too marginal to survive, or sent to Canadian residential schools, maybe they could still be dreaming of making a better world today...

Vinland Saga never really could have a happy ending, but I didn't think it would be quite this bleak. I do wonder if there's anything positive to say at the end of all this. It feels like there should be, considering how far Thorfinn personally has come.

Incidentally, I've been reading The Dawn of Everything recently. It's a very insightful reexamining of assumptions about the nature of humanity, looking closely at the recent archaeological and anthropological evidence. There's a lot in it specifically about how Native Americans saw Europeans, and the interesting critiques they had about European society that later generations pretended was just Enlightenment thinkers putting words in the Americans' mouths to present a European critique of Europeans. But there's a lot of interesting stuff there about what struck the Native Americans. I guess there's a huge gulf between Thorfinn's Norse and the Jesuits who recorded what later Native Americans were struck by, but there's an interesting parallel in how unimpressed Americans were by European ways of doing things. Sometimes "primitive" people actually did have the power to imagine the political repercussions of different ways of doing things, and their rejection of European ways could be the result of reason and understanding.

That's not to say Misqe'g Pi'gw would literally be able to reason out nuclear weapons, but the ability to see the writing on the wall was not necessarily beyond someone in that kind of society.

I guess if I had a critique of this chapter it would be that by emphasizing the perspective of a modern reader to such a degree, the perspective of someone like Misqe'g Pi'gw does get somewhat muddled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

It's the classic Oedipus cycle. Thorfinn and company managing to set up a peaceful relationship would be their best chance to retain independence and build up a gradual immunity to European diseases.

But trying to break the prophecy guarantees its completion.

As for failure, Thorfinn's children would wind up being key figures in the peaceful Christianization of Iceland. It wasn't a world with no strife, but it was a major cultural change towards a less violent world. Maybe not what he wanted, but it definitely wasn't nothing.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 29, 2021

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

New vinland!
https://mangadex.org/chapter/58249e34-43bc-4493-977b-1924d738e323/1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I like the Norns' style.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kassad posted:

I like the Norns' style.

They are worthy opponents for Future Devil. :hmmyes:

Also this is a weirdly placed flashback to let us know that Thorfinn has like two dozens of former elite warriors among his colonists, that he recruited on his way back from his trade trip, which will definitely becomes a pretty important detail very soon. It really feels like the whole adventure to Byzantium thing was an actual planned arc that got scrapped for some reason and not something he just planned to skip for the whole time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

They are worthy opponents for Future Devil. :hmmyes:

I don't know. Unlike Future Devil, they seem somewhat lacking in credibility.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thorfinn is such a good boy. I really really really want this to end well, can we have this please? :ohdear:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mikl posted:

Thorfinn is such a good boy. I really really really want this to end well, can we have this please? :ohdear:

I have no idea if we can. The norns didn't say anything about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched this show around Christmas and it's taken me until now to get caught up on the manga.
So y'all notice the designs of Siggy's friends kinda resemble the South Park kids?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwCaZsZp5Q

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/93887271882866688?s=20&t=B6BhR-LTBnjIlEkiNckbbA

(I know there was a live action adaptation but I never watched it)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there was also a previous anime adaption way back. if i remember right, it was pretty much a static slideshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah I bounced off of that one after a couple of eps. There was also the adaptation for Olympia Kyklos, which is another classical era reverse isekai from the same author, but that one interested me even less. The source material didn't particularly grab me to begin with, and while normally I'd find a the idea of claymation anime interesting, you could tell from the start that they really phoned it in.