Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
If Pfizer can modify its vaccine in ten weeks, as they have been saying for the last year or so, I wonder why they haven't bothered to update it to be more resilient against delta? Seeing as studies show its efficacy in preventing infection against delta drops by around 30%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

If Pfizer can modify its vaccine in ten weeks, as they have been saying for the last year or so, I wonder why they haven't bothered to update it to be more resilient against delta? Seeing as studies show its efficacy in preventing infection against delta drops by around 30%.

Probably because it's cheaper for them and easier on current supply chains to focus on a booster jab that brings protection up to >90%.

Them making more money off this strategy probably helps too.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Private Speech posted:

That one is kind of whatever to be honest, it's not the only game to have nipples in. (see also mass effect cameltoes etc.)

Its less about computer nipples and more it was expressly against his contract to appear nude in anything, was specifically made without his consent and then embedded in the game? Like, that's some next tier shitheelness.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Private Speech posted:

That one is kind of whatever to be honest, it's not the only game to have nipples in. (see also mass effect cameltoes etc.)

There's a million easier and far skeevier ways to do a virtual deepfake like that instead of putting it in the game if he wanted it for sexual gratification.

Also "hackers" is basically just any random modder with access to decoded game files and modelling tools.

That said there's a lot of credible allegations of abuse and harassment in quantic dream, which are far worse. I can't really get worked up about nipples on an otherwise barbie model of all things.

I mean - there being a lot of worse stuff that happened doesn't change the fact that they made a nude model of him without his consent and put it in the game files.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

That was exactly the one I was thinking of that got all the crusty retired Captains, RN worked up about 'weak names'.

It's actually named after Admiral Duncan of Camperdown and the MoD wanted to ensure that one T45 had a name linked with Scotland and one linked with Wales (Dragon).

One of the most numerous classes of WW2 were the Flower-class corvettes - literally hundreds of ships, all named after flowers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

HopperUK posted:

I mean - there being a lot of worse stuff that happened doesn't change the fact that they made a nude model of him without his consent and put it in the game files.

the process of digitising a person's likeness pretty much guarantees that. there was an interesting story recently, for me at least, that jet li dropped out of the original matrix sequels when he realised that they would be "capturing" his movements and able to replicate and apply what he considered his long worked upon, unique abilities to any physical model.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

It's because inital reports are that its approx. 500% more infectious than Delta, and may have a higher IFR as well.

This is categorically different to the "thousands of other variants" - it's something genuinely new. In the coming weeks we're gonna find out how much of a difference that makes

Like I say those initial reports are completely worthless because there's only a few hundred cases *at most* so far identified. You just can't make any kind of confident pronouncement on transmissability on such low numbers, let alone IFR.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the process of digitising a person's likeness pretty much guarantees that. there was an interesting story recently, for me at least, that jet li dropped out of the original matrix sequels when he realised that they would be "capturing" his movements and able to replicate and apply what he considered his long worked upon, unique abilities to any physical model.
Do you think when they made the matrix the first step was to create a fully nude model of keanu reeves?

They didn't do a full 3d scan and motion capture of Eliot Page, an actor who famously has never appeared nude in a movie. They scanned their face then decided that the body they made for the shower scene needed textured nipples added despite there being zero reason to include them.

Also yes its loving sus that Cage, a man who claims to have an album full of childhood photos of page, was in a position to request that the model be made that way.

Also given that he came out recently it seems especially horrible thing to do. Page was probably suffering gender disphoria and they essentially included a nude poser model of them in the game files. even if it wasn't intended to be seen thats really lovely and unprofessional.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 27, 2021

zhar
May 3, 2019

HopperUK posted:

Yo, not having a go at you or anything but Elliot Page came out as trans a while back and uses he/him nowadays.

Now you mention it I do remember reading something about that but I forgot - guess I haven't seen anything with him in since then.

Private Speech posted:

There's a million easier and far skeevier ways to do a virtual deepfake like that instead of putting it in the game if he wanted it for sexual gratification.

Also "hackers" is basically just any random modder with access to decoded game files and modelling tools.

That said there's a lot of credible allegations of abuse and harassment in quantic dream, which are far worse. I can't really get worked up about nipples on an otherwise barbie model of all things.

I don't have a problem with nipples in games like gta5, cyberpunk or whatever but making a nude model of someone without their knowledge, let alone consent is pretty unethical for a games studio to do imo, especially then publishing it in a triple A game even if it's buried in the files. it's a bit different than some nerd making a nude texture mod for a character based on someones likeness, and Page did consider legal action. Cage also spent a year collating a binder of photos of Page from the age of 6 through his teenage years before they even met.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the most numerous classes of WW2 were the Flower-class corvettes - literally hundreds of ships, all named after flowers.

Corvettes are tiny though, it's fine to give them pansy (lol) names. But you want your big fuckoff battleships to have proper mythological or terrifying names like Prometheus or Disemboweler (those two could actually be sister ships for thematic reasons). Only because Disemliverer isn't a word.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also use the time honoured method of "words beginning with In-" especially if you start using words like inarticulate and incommunicado as you run out of the cool ones :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
HMS Inverness :hmmyes:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

OwlFancier posted:

You can also use the time honoured method of "words beginning with In-" especially if you start using words like inarticulate and incommunicado as you run out of the cool ones :v:

I watched a youtube video about the Battle of May Island recently and one of the main ships involved was HMS Inflexible.

Like okay I guess it could be taken in a proper military discipline sort of way like Unyielding, but it definitely comes across as more of a negative word you wouldn't really want associated with your military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZS0RpOgdfQ

Good video if you like naval fuckups.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

HMS Inverness :hmmyes:

That's a good point, we need an HMS Invergordon to commemorate the brave sailors who mutinied in 1931.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't want to be a massive oval office but my understanding of South Africa's Covid situation is that a) their current Delta rates were low enough that it was easier to displace it, and b) SA has a vaccination rate of 28% 1-dose 23% 2-dose and 72% wholly unprotected. The variations are real and theoretically scary, but in practise we don't know yet since we're in a total opposite situation with 1 million Deltas a month and 12% (excluding 0-12 yo's) wholly unprotected.

Again, the variations are real, but it's running free in a very beneficial environment.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My cousin served in (on? It’s a sub so hard to tell) the HMS Superb, which I loved because a) it’s not something like Vengeance, it’s Superb! And b) because all the sailors called it the “Super Bee” which is adorable 🐝 🐝

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Imagine if he'd served on the HMS Cumtruck. Makes you think

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HMS Corbyn when?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
HMS Dreadnaught didn’t just cause a frenzy in the navies across the world and provoking an arms’ race against Germany, she did so in style. Goddamn Dreadnaught is a killer name and honestly nothing tops it IMO.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Bunch of numberplates round my way start with HMS which makes for some boring ship names.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Unkempt posted:

Bunch of numberplates round my way start with HMS which makes for some boring ship names.

GSV first name buncho’numbers

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BigglesSWE posted:

HMS Dreadnaught didn’t just cause a frenzy in the navies across the world and provoking an arms’ race against Germany, she did so in style. Goddamn Dreadnaught is a killer name and honestly nothing tops it IMO.

Agreed, where did the word come from?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it just means what it sounds like, it's a pretty cool ship, eh kills foreigners and doesn't afraid of anything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

HMS Corbyn when?
My 2nd ship in Pillars 2 was called the Jeremy Corbyn. I'm on my 3rd ship named the same as my first ship, The Trans Agenda, hunting slaver ships on the high seas of the Deadfire.

Yarr.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Alctel posted:

a galleon under Drake was named that first. Probably comes from an old bible quote, “Feareth God and Dread Not”

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alctel posted:

It's simply a ship that would dread naught - Fear Nothing - but it was not the first of that name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The name was meant to evoke the holy machines that the greatest of Space Marines are implanted into in Warhammer 40k.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If those existed they would definitely have stuffed thatcher and prince phillip into them.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

the HMS Inflammable, first and last of its name

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

OwlFancier posted:

That was fun to do in Eve, name your ships things like Insubstantial, Inperceivable, Incoherent, Inconstant and so on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ataxerxes posted:

That was fun to do in Eve, name your ships things like Insubstantial, Inperceivable, Incoherent, Inconstant and so on.

Inconceivable
Indistinguishable
Inch

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
HMS Doughnaught

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

the HMS Inflammable, first and last of its name

Still better than HMS Incel.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
All aboard the HMS Innertube for bouncy wartime fun

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

radmonger posted:

Still better than HMS Incel.

That's appropriate for the navy though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's appropriate for the navy though

Hey now, the British Navy may have many faults, but rum, sodomy and the lash are three things it famously never skimps on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Isomermaid posted:

All aboard the HMS Innertube for bouncy wartime fun

The HMS incontinent is a great little runner I heard

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
HMS Inthenavy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

There was HMS Invincible, turns out she wasn't - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1907)

As for Dreadnought, eh, she wasn't quite as out of the blue as people make out - other people, the Yanks for one, had sussed the concept of all-big-gun turbine battleship, it's just that as world Top Dog naval builders at the time we got ours out first. It's more a matter of the tech advancing to the stage where it was the obvious thing to do than some lone genius having a lightbulb moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

The HMS incontinent is a great little runner I heard

HMS Incontinentia for all the Life Of Brian fans out there. ;)

feedmegin posted:

There was HMS Invincible, turns out she wasn't - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1907)

As for Dreadnought, eh, she wasn't quite as out of the blue as people make out - other people, the Yanks for one, had sussed the concept of all-big-gun turbine battleship, it's just that as world Top Dog naval builders at the time we got ours out first. It's more a matter of the tech advancing to the stage where it was the obvious thing to do than some lone genius having a lightbulb moment.

Yanks and surprisingly the Japanese (i think they learned a lot from destroying the Russians at Tsushima) were both heading the same way.

Dreadnought has some quite bad design choices and was already way outclassed by WW1, first is not always best. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 27, 2021