Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Private Speech posted:

Funny you mention it, the reverb g2 discussed above is very good for that (great resolution and display, framerate and full body tracking not as important) and is on deep sale.

There's not much coming out that we know of.

e: Other than that you basically only have the high-end pimaxes and commercial vr solutions, but they are expensive and pretty much require a 3080ti at the very minimum - because 8k/12k resolution, high maxed framerate and vr processing is not easy to do.

I'm on an RTX2080 and am not even doing 4K, just 1440p right now I think on a curved ultrawide which is great but I want to dip my toes into the VR experience now. I don't think I need the ultra high-end stuff, but that reverb looks like a great deal so I'll probably pull the trigger on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The reverb is actually 4k 90 fps, but you can turn it down a bit. 2080 should be just about good enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I'm looking at getting into VR for PC Sim racing specifically (Like AC/C, rFactor2, iRacing, whatever supports it), is there a headset that is better than others for that niche? Or if I'm not in a rush to get one, are there new/better headsets coming out in the coming months?

Either get the Reverb while it's on sale or a Quest. In VR very little sim racing stuff will render at native resolution for the headset so going for some super high resolution is going to be hugely unnecessary. Also don't play ACC in VR, its VR performance is so legendarily bad that it might as well not have VR support.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

njsykora posted:

Either get the Reverb while it's on sale or a Quest. In VR very little sim racing stuff will render at native resolution for the headset so going for some super high resolution is going to be hugely unnecessary. Also don't play ACC in VR, its VR performance is so legendarily bad that it might as well not have VR support.

The sim stuff I tried does let you try and render it at native, but whether your computer can do it is another issue.

e: I have a 3070ti which is about 25% faster than 2080 and can do 4k with the settings turned down.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 26, 2021

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I got a Reverb with my Biden bucks and I still love it. I have no experience with other headsets but I'm happy enough with it to recommend, especially at that price.

I must warn that the thick cable easily breaks from prolonged stress to the same spot, usually at the clip on the back of the headset. This can be prevented by adding a second clip or tie to the back of the headset and giving the cable some slack, occasionally adjusting it so that the same spot doesn't always take the pressure.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 26, 2021

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
So, since I've had some good suggestions when I can't seem to find options when googling oddly specific issues, I'll pose another question re: Quest here:

I have a 5ghz wireless card and the ability to set up a wi-fi hotspot via that card. Are there any optimizations I may be missing that is preventing this hotspot from performing optimally in terms of connecting my Oculus Quest to it for the purposes of Virtual Desktop? Would other wi-fi signals in the apartment cause interference, or is the fact that VD gives me the 'less than adequate' connection warning simply because I don't have it set up right? Is the hotspot option even viable for the most part?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

njsykora posted:

That's too bad about ACC, but trigger pulled on the G2. Looking forward to getting up close and personal with all the walls now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deeturbomber posted:

So, since I've had some good suggestions when I can't seem to find options when googling oddly specific issues, I'll pose another question re: Quest here:

I have a 5ghz wireless card and the ability to set up a wi-fi hotspot via that card. Are there any optimizations I may be missing that is preventing this hotspot from performing optimally in terms of connecting my Oculus Quest to it for the purposes of Virtual Desktop? Would other wi-fi signals in the apartment cause interference, or is the fact that VD gives me the 'less than adequate' connection warning simply because I don't have it set up right? Is the hotspot option even viable for the most part?

I heard the hotspot thing wasn't all it's cracked up to be, hard wiring your PC to a 5ghz router should be sufficient. I have a standard-rear end Archer C7 with no special setup at all and it works pretty flawlessly in my apartment on 5ghz and there's wifi signals all over the drat place here.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

explosivo posted:

I heard the hotspot thing wasn't all it's cracked up to be, hard wiring your PC to a 5ghz router should be sufficient. I have a standard-rear end Archer C7 with no special setup at all and it works pretty flawlessly in my apartment on 5ghz and there's wifi signals all over the drat place here.

I have a 5ghz router, but it's the one the rest of my home uses, so it's busy as hell, and still gives that same message, so I assume it's a matter of bandwidth? I'm a bit unclear. I've seen stuff both ways on the hotspot situation, which is why I'm wondering if there's some particular setting/setup for it. It may also be that my home is just so wi-fi busy (as well as being an apartment complex, so lots of other routers nearby i'd imagine) that the interference is just too heavy for a dedicated video feed to get enough mileage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Get a second VR headset. :getin:

As someone who started in VR by buying a $25 Chinese steamvr headset and now owns two Rift S's, a Quest 2, and just sold my CV1, it is real easy to start hoarding headsets lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

forest spirit posted:

e: quote is not edit

yikes man give someone else an opportunity lol, I thought I checked the thread half frequently

Lol. If it works,he will be the second one, after you. Another guy wanted one some days ago so I pmed him but it seems he did it in the end with some friend.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone who started in VR by buying a $25 Chinese steamvr headset and now owns two Rift S's, a Quest 2, and just sold my CV1, it is real easy to start hoarding headsets lol

Facts. My graveyard/VR tub these days.
CV1
OG Vive
2 Vive Pros
Cosmos Elite
2 Quest 2

Finally sold the quest 1s as we were up to freaking 9 headsets. Its so easy to let them pile the gently caress up.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Facts. My graveyard/VR tub these days.
CV1
OG Vive
2 Vive Pros
Cosmos Elite
2 Quest 2

Finally sold the quest 1s as we were up to freaking 9 headsets. Its so easy to let them pile the gently caress up.

How much is someone willing to buy a quest 1 for? I probably won't go in for another until I can sell my current one.

EDIT: also, how interchangable are the lens inserts between different headsets? I wouldn't be able to use these quest prescription inserts on another brand, would I?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

e: wth awful app?

anyways I have

OG Vive
Vive Pro 1 w/wireless
Quest 2

And that's probably going to be it for a while until we see the Deckard or whatever valve standalone headset we get

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 26, 2021

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deeturbomber posted:

How much is someone willing to buy a quest 1 for? I probably won't go in for another until I can sell my current one.

EDIT: also, how interchangable are the lens inserts between different headsets? I wouldn't be able to use these quest prescription inserts on another brand, would I?

I sold my 128g or w/e for like 150 bucks a month or so ago. Probably could have got 200 since I Had the box and it had a grand total of 20 hours on it. But 150ish is fair. Its still a decent headset.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Where do you find your referral code? I could have that on hand for the next time someone wants it, or give it to friends.

Also, my Quest has changed the guardian to the one where it no longer shows the boundary walls and instead fades to passthrough when you get close, except it only does that for the headset, not the controllers, and my walls are WAY too close to let my hands wave around without any kind of warning for how close I am, even with the smaller stationary boundary. How do I switch back to the old style guardian?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Where do you find your referral code? I could have that on hand for the next time someone wants it, or give it to friends.

Also, my Quest has changed the guardian to the one where it no longer shows the boundary walls and instead fades to passthrough when you get close, except it only does that for the headset, not the controllers, and my walls are WAY too close to let my hands wave around without any kind of warning for how close I am, even with the smaller stationary boundary. How do I switch back to the old style guardian?

You have to have the other person on your friends list on facebook, so turin and I went through that process when we did it. The app prompts you to share the code through facebook messenger, and that's the only way you can get the code. I tried sending a code to my brother and then giving someone else the link, but that didn't work

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is related to the guardian sensitivity setting

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Against my better judgement after ordering the Reverb G2, I also ordered the Quest 2. Might as well compare them. :shepspends:

At least in the event I go with the Quest 2, I can use the 50 dollar gift card I get through Amazon to get a better strap.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Deeturbomber posted:

I believe that if you're using windows hotspot there are a few tricks to making it work best. The one I remember off hand is that you need to connect to it first with your phone before windows will dedicate full bandwidth to it for some reason.

I'd suggest googling for a Reddit post about windows hot spot and air link because I think there are some other things you need to adjust to keep it from occasionally lagging.

I've had good luck with it, I just don't remember all the steps from when I set it up months ago.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I ended up taking the plunge on the Lynx AR-1 kickstarter mostly for tinkering/experimental purposes, but there's no way I'm not going to play some games too. Are there any must-haves/especially good deals in the current steam sale? Like, I'm not really itching to pre-buy a bunch of games for a thing I probably won't even be holding for half a year but I understand Alyx is pretty rarely discounted, etc. so I'm at least thinking about a couple.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Saw some nice looking Skyrim VR screenshots and decided I’d spend Black Friday reinstalling and setting up mods after being unhappy with any of the Wabbajack lists.

I’m now three and a half hours in on tinkering and haven’t even gotten to Riverwood. :confuoot:

Several Hours Later Edit: ended up settling on a Wabbajack list after all - because fuuuuck learning DynLoD all over again.

Tbh the FUS list is pretty good if you select the FUS RO profile - it’s basically just the must-have mods and some graphical upgrades. I hosed up and chose the full profile at first which has some truly unpleasant “immersion” mods - ie: if you want to sneak best be ready to hold a crouch IRL for an entire dungeon.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 27, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leathal posted:

Saw some nice looking Skyrim VR screenshots and decided I’d spend Black Friday reinstalling and setting up mods after being unhappy with any of the Wabbajack lists.

I’m now three and a half hours in on tinkering and haven’t even gotten to Riverwood. :confuoot:

the real skyrim mod experience. don't worry though, shouldn't take longer than 10h before you're in the game!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

marumaru posted:

the real skyrim mod experience. don't worry though, shouldn't take longer than 10h before you're in the game!

when it first came out i spent a few weeks getting fifty hours in before i ever got a power word and all the memes were so confusing. i can't remember when i finally did a main sequence quest

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
My partner and I are getting a Quest 2 in a couple days so apologies if this has been asked before: since this is baby's first VR , does anyone have recommendations, must-haves, free experiences, etc that we need? What should be the first thing we run?

She has a potent computer so once that $90 cable comes, we can link up and play steam games too. I'm looking forward most to Superhot, rez, maybe Tetris, and perhaps Thumper. Got a lot of games for the other platforms so we are both pretty tapped out, so it's a good thing there is a sale. I just hope neither of us get instantly pukey...I haven't played VR since Dactyl Nightmare 👍

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Wilkins Micawber posted:

My partner and I are getting a Quest 2 in a couple days so apologies if this has been asked before: since this is baby's first VR , does anyone have recommendations, must-haves, free experiences, etc that we need? What should be the first thing we run?

She has a potent computer so once that $90 cable comes, we can link up and play steam games too. I'm looking forward most to Superhot, rez, maybe Tetris, and perhaps Thumper. Got a lot of games for the other platforms so we are both pretty tapped out, so it's a good thing there is a sale. I just hope neither of us get instantly pukey...I haven't played VR since Dactyl Nightmare 👍

Cancel/return the $90 cable if you can, and instead get a ~$100 router with Wifi 6. Truly wireless VR is just tits.

Phasmophobia, Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, and Into the Radius are my must haves, but everyone's will be different.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah wireless is the way to go, it works great even with my lovely ISP router

Subnautica VR is excellent

I enjoyed Arizona Sunshine although it's def early VR, I got it on sale

Alyx will blow your socks off

Pistol whip is good

Till you fall and thrill of the fight are both great workouts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I am always compelled to say Moss

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bondematt posted:

Cancel/return the $90 cable if you can, and instead get a ~$100 router with Wifi 6. Truly wireless VR is just tits.

Phasmophobia, Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, and Into the Radius are my must haves, but everyone's will be different.

And if you still want a wired connection other companies make equally good cables now at longer lengths that are way cheaper. It's just a USB3 cable, you can get a 6ft one from Anker for under $20.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Get a referral from someone here, I will let this time another person get it :P

They have the black day sale in software right now, until Nov 28, so you want to buy already 3-4 games to start before it ends.

Five must haves games to start would be:

Beat Saber
SuperHot VR
Eleven Table Tennis
Walkabout Minigolf
Resident Evil 4 VR

A few more:
Blaston
Virtual Virtual Reality
The Room VR: A Dark Matter
Demeo
Contractors

Free apps:
VR Animation player (Before it was Quill, one of my faves)
Oculus TV and Youtube VR for immersive video
Rec Room
Echo VR

e: this is native stuff, for PC you have HL Alyx, H3 VR, Boneworks, sim and racing games, etc.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I think she just got a new router with Wifi 6 so that is cool as heck. And poo poo thank you for all the recs. She has no steam games and I haven't touched a computer since peggle nights, so it's exciting to finally get to do some of these things. I'm excited for quest 2! :3:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders is my go-to game when I want a quick half hour on something, and adding custom songs is a piece of cake, just download Noodle Manager and browse on synthriderz.com.

I just started Resist and it's pretty good, but definitely not a first time game, it's all about flying around like Spider-Man and the beginning has you navigating over steel beams at the top of a skyscraper.

Also echoing Moss, it's fairly short and simple but my heart melted like butter when I saw that little mouse, at actual mouse size no less.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I have a cable from my router going into a set of paired Ethernet over mains power adapters into my room. If I plugged another router on the end of that with Ethernet coming out for the PC, would the Airlink work well enough? If wired is going to be more stable I'd probably rather find a way to make that work, maybe by fixing a cable hook to the ceiling so it comes down from above.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's funny FB saying RE4VR is their fastest selling game. Maybe it was just up to that point. But later Blade & Sorcery was released and it seems to me it sold even faster. It already have more reviews and more ratings than RE4VR.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tetris Effect report. Really cool experience and a solid playing Tetris game, but I ended up returning it because my wife said she preferred the plain version we have on the switch due to all the 'distractions'. It really is sort of a meditative experience though so I'll likely pick it up again sometime down the road when it is cheaper. For now, I think I'm going to try pistol whip.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

The best thing about tetris effect is how the music adapts as you move and drop bricks and clear lines. That was really cool.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lately I feel like I've been in a slump with VR games where I'm more likely to want to play a traditional flat screen game than a VR one.

What are some VR games that have hooked you and really made you want to play them more? The last one for me was Pistol Whip.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

LLSix posted:

Lately I feel like I've been in a slump with VR games where I'm more likely to want to play a traditional flat screen game than a VR one.

What are some VR games that have hooked you and really made you want to play them more? The last one for me was Pistol Whip.

Aside from Beat Saber, H3VR Take and Hold mode probably gets most of my time. It is just really fun and addictive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LLSix posted:

Duck season was a pleasant surprise for me. The shooting mechanics are really solid, it’s a mild horror game, and it has like 10 different endings.

It also has some neat stuff like being able to play different games on the in-game NES knock off, lots of little treats and lore to find (including boneworks lore if you’ve played that)

Also it’s from the boneworks devs

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I have a cable from my router going into a set of paired Ethernet over mains power adapters into my room. If I plugged another router on the end of that with Ethernet coming out for the PC, would the Airlink work well enough? If wired is going to be more stable I'd probably rather find a way to make that work, maybe by fixing a cable hook to the ceiling so it comes down from above.

Yes, that should work fine. That's what I've done, I have an old internet router and I have a new Wifi5 router connected to it for Q2 use and my computer is also connected to the Wifi5. You should also configure the Q2 router as a wifi access point, not a router. So no NAT and DHCP server, your computer and Q2 should get their IPs from the internet router.