Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I started up Idleon and got to lv10 on my first two characters but hope that I will not continue. I see a screen like this and I'm just overwhelmed with how many bad decisions I could be making:

Then you go looking for help and find advice like this:

https://idleon.miraheze.org/wiki/Tips_and_Tricks posted:

Usage of external calculators and spreadsheets is the single most useful thing you can do. There are several community-run external resources that can help you manage Tasks, Constellations, and even all of your builds! Help yourself plan out your points for best outcome!
I don't have enough of a come-what-may attitude to randomly click on things, and I don't want to nurse a wiki or discord to just do what everyone else is doing. So perhaps instead I will play one of the thousands of other games in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
You're not wrong in thinking that, the way skills work is literally down to highly out-mathed breakpoints where spending 54 points in a skill is worse than 53 because the mechanics behind the scenes are opaque as hell.

When you have to do that across ten+ accounts bland follow a build guide for each to make sure you're as cutting edge efficient as possible in a game where efficiency is king, no thanks

It's gorgeous and fun to play but hot goddamn if it's not exhausting

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Idleon just hurts to play. Someone was asking for incremental games that have less time between interactions, and Idleon is kind of that in a bad way. This gets better when you get more inventory, but the first time I left it idle for too long and then so much poo poo dropped I couldn't sort through it all made me nuts. There were probably rare drops in the stacks. Wasn't ever going to find them because every surface was filled with stacks of common drops.

The fact that you not only have to endure this pain on your first character, but the game is built for you to be managing multiple characters, means that every pain point is multiplied by however many character slots you have. In the one sense being able to multi-task that way is neat. In every other sense it's a nightmare.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
I'm still playing idleon and having fun generally but yeah having 10 characters and doing everything 10 times sure does take it out you.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

ErIog posted:

Idleon just hurts to play. Someone was asking for incremental games that have less time between interactions, and Idleon is kind of that in a bad way. This gets better when you get more inventory, but the first time I left it idle for too long and then so much poo poo dropped I couldn't sort through it all made me nuts. There were probably rare drops in the stacks. Wasn't ever going to find them because every surface was filled with stacks of common drops.

It's the usual dark patterns of mobile game design: manipulate you into spending money by having you see all the drops you 'lost' so you buy inventory space/stack size in the cash shop. Similar thing with the card drops, you can grind out daily/hourly boss spawns for months or spend a few hundred on loot boxes to instantly max them out. Certain crafting recipes were impossible to complete if you didn't buy ~$100 of inventory upgrades from the shop. The userbase tilts heavily to mobile-only players who are used to being exploited much worse than this so I think the monetization must be a breath of fresh air for them, but even something like Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realm doesn't come close to these levels of oppressive mechanics.

(Quit early last year so some things may have changed but the general pattern of development seemed pretty clear: maximal pain in new content to get invested players to spend, fix the major exploits after your whales get to use them for a bit, reduce the pain some in a balance patch, and move on to the next new content.)

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015

Sivart13 posted:

I started up Idleon and got to lv10 on my first two characters but hope that I will not continue. I see a screen like this and I'm just overwhelmed with how many bad decisions I could be making:

Then you go looking for help and find advice like this:

I don't have enough of a come-what-may attitude to randomly click on things, and I don't want to nurse a wiki or discord to just do what everyone else is doing. So perhaps instead I will play one of the thousands of other games in the world.

If it helps you get more free Respec potions than you'll ever need. This kinda stuff is intimidating but in practice you don't have enough points in the early game for it to really make a difference where you put them, and by the time you do you'll have a better understanding of the games mechanics and know where you want to spec.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Am I right in thinking that on sadistic NGU it's not possible to bring the energy requirements for each of the blood magic activities down to 1 energy like you can on the earlier difficulties?

I've maxed out the magic power and cap stats so I'm assuming it can't go any faster.

Also, for the NGUs, is there much point in putting energy and magic into them in sadistic once you get 10's of millions of levels in each one? I can cap most of them, but don't think they really add anything anymore.

With my energy and magic stats at max, the only way i could reduce the amount of each needed on NGUs is by using cards, but I'm not sure if it's even worth doing that.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
generally you won't hit those points in sad, no. you don't really need to to progress either, I'm 3/5 through the last two ngus and I beat the game months ago

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

someone figure out how to mod new content into ngu

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Feline Mind Meld posted:

generally you won't hit those points in sad, no. you don't really need to to progress either, I'm 3/5 through the last two ngus and I beat the game months ago

What do you mean by 3/5 through the last two NGUs?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Aurora posted:

It would take a lot of work to really create the content, but it's definitely possible and not blocked by that many technical things. I sourcedived and did a few tiny UI modifications myself for certain stuff.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kin posted:

What do you mean by 3/5 through the last two NGUs?

600m/1b

I have a deep need for unnecessary completion

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Feline Mind Meld posted:

600m/1b

I have a deep need for unnecessary completion

Is 1 billion the max level for each one? Seems like I can put 999,999,999,999 as the maximum target for each NGU.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yea, 1e9 is the max level for each ngu in each difficulty

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aurora posted:

Considering the reason 4G was stopping was because he ran into the max value of several key variables the only thing that could be added is another prestige level. The game is also closed source so anything complicated is going to be real hell.

I'd imagine at this point a recode with tighter smaller numbers would work, or a large number library. I mean things already get really strange near the end with some features like wishes.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I can't really make a good concious recommendation, but I just picked up Godsbane Idle and boy it sure is interesting. It explicitly calls out NGU and Path of Exile as it's inspirations, which just happen to be my #1 and #2 played Steam games of all time, so I suppose I'm the target market.

Basically take NGU's framework, add random loot and a giant skill tree and you've got an idea of what you're dealing with.

Warning - this game is inscrutable as gently caress. Almost nothing is labeled, tool tipped or explained and there's a whole lot going on. But if you love loot like I do, there might be something here.

https://nyrio.itch.io/godsbane

Steam version eventually? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1565140/Godsbane_Idle/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

WTFBEES posted:

I can't really make a good concious recommendation, but I just picked up Godsbane Idle and boy it sure is interesting. It explicitly calls out NGU and Path of Exile as it's inspirations, which just happen to be my #1 and #2 played Steam games of all time, so I suppose I'm the target market.

Basically take NGU's framework, add random loot and a giant skill tree and you've got an idea of what you're dealing with.

Warning - this game is inscrutable as gently caress. Almost nothing is labeled, tool tipped or explained and there's a whole lot going on. But if you love loot like I do, there might be something here.

https://nyrio.itch.io/godsbane

Steam version eventually? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1565140/Godsbane_Idle/

Well your description sounds fun, version number is alpha low 0.06. Sounds like a fun project to watch develop. This early your complaints seem like par for course for a game that early dev. (it sucks to write up tooltips only to change the mechanic entirely the next day so now you have to update the tooltip or the info is wrong)

That took like 4 minutes to figure out how to start combat, click the header that looks like the zone name, clicking the zone name not the arrows opens a small menu of levels at the top. The arrows move to to stages within the zone. That's a really weird UI. There's a question mark in the top right that tells you this though!

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 28, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Godsbane is uh... very inscrutable. It also went like 8 months without an update and then just rearranged and re-obfuscated a bunch of systems.

It's not terrible but I didn't find it very satisfying. It has gear that doesn't seem to matter because most of your progression is built into the awakening (prestige) and soul (NGU energy bars) systems. It's got a big skill tree where nothing is particularly interesting or requires a really specific build that isn't at all clear how to achieve (like focusing on a status ailment or a damage type).

I don't really recommend it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Godsbane is uh... very inscrutable. It also went like 8 months without an update and then just rearranged and re-obfuscated a bunch of systems.

It's not terrible but I didn't find it very satisfying. It has gear that doesn't seem to matter because most of your progression is built into the awakening (prestige) and soul (NGU energy bars) systems. It's got a big skill tree where nothing is particularly interesting or requires a really specific build that isn't at all clear how to achieve (like focusing on a status ailment or a damage type).

I don't really recommend it.

Ah I was thinking with PoE it had to be overly ambitious I was hoping for some really broken builds to discover. If the solution was to remove all customization and tie everything to prestige that is boring and admitting defeat. Don't hamstring your major systems. I'm still interested in seeing where it is currently, and interested in checking in on it later.

Sounds like the dev may have realized this project is too much with an 8 month break. Really I just want from it is a game that is broken to the point you crash it because you make numbers too big and it gets an update every 2-3 months that has a new fun way to break it. Like Orb of Creation.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

pixaal posted:

Ah I was thinking with PoE it had to be overly ambitious I was hoping for some really broken builds to discover. If the solution was to remove all customization and tie everything to prestige that is boring and admitting defeat. Don't hamstring your major systems. I'm still interested in seeing where it is currently, and interested in checking in on it later.

Sounds like the dev may have realized this project is too much with an 8 month break. Really I just want from it is a game that is broken to the point you crash it because you make numbers too big and it gets an update every 2-3 months that has a new fun way to break it. Like Orb of Creation.

Orb of Creation is so goddamn good. I've played it at every public release and it's been fun every time.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The biggest problem I have with Godsbane is a few hours in I can't find a single original mechanic. Pretty much everything is "oh I remember this from NGU" or "Oh yeah, this is just x from Path of Exile".

It's still kinda fun but like, I'd like to see something a bit original.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arzaac posted:

The biggest problem I have with Godsbane is a few hours in I can't find a single original mechanic. Pretty much everything is "oh I remember this from NGU" or "Oh yeah, this is just x from Path of Exile".

It's still kinda fun but like, I'd like to see something a bit original.

Yeah, it's very derivative still, but I'm kind of enjoying it anyway? I also kind of like that it's wonky, has too many things shoved in, and you have to poke around to find things that work. So it's going to be a good distraction for a little while at least.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I must seriously be missing something on Godsbane because I'm 3-4 resets and maybe 5-6 hours in and I'm not even close to being able to clear Zone 2 and with nothing unlocked it is rapidly losing my interest.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For me, I had to snipe gear from zone 2 because it's generally stronger than the gear from zone 1.

Also I don't know what's optimal to build, but I was building towards a lot of health regen because it let me idle in deeper zones.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I've been playing it for a day now and the pacing/progression is glacially slow. The gap between being able to beat zone 2 and even killing a single thing is zone 3 is massive. I can now idle stage 3 but my next paragon point is at level 25 so it will take a long time before I can really improve my build.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Cinara posted:

I've been playing it for a day now and the pacing/progression is glacially slow. The gap between being able to beat zone 2 and even killing a single thing is zone 3 is massive. I can now idle stage 3 but my next paragon point is at level 25 so it will take a long time before I can really improve my build.

This is where I'm at. Seems a bit early to throw a wall at you, but I'll keep idling for better gear. Probably doesn't help that I redid my skill tree and made it worse in every way.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jhet posted:

I also kind of like that it's wonky, has too many things shoved in, and you have to poke around to find things that work.

PathOfExile.txt

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Arzaac posted:

I had to snipe gear from a higher zone

Glad he copied the literally least fun feature of NGU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does... does it at least let me make an army of screaming skull boys who gleefully charge the enemy to die in an explosive end? That was the best part of PoE for me by a long shot.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Ineptitude posted:

Glad he copied the literally least fun feature of NGU

It's actually less bad here in that it'll auto return you to the zone you were last in after regenerating health. You can idle farm indefinetly once you're able to kill a single round of dudes.

Randalor posted:

Does... does it at least let me make an army of screaming skull boys who gleefully charge the enemy to die in an explosive end? That was the best part of PoE for me by a long shot.

No but thank you for reminding me a need to make another SRS build.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Idleon chat: I pretty much agree with the complaints. The idea is cool but there's so much tedium around inventory management, crafting, moving people to the right spot, etc.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dragongem posted:

Idleon chat: I pretty much agree with the complaints. The idea is cool but there's so much tedium around inventory management, crafting, moving people to the right spot, etc.

I would have loved this game in middle school / high school age before WoW. I'm sure there's an audience. Last time I played (probably 6-12 months now) I went I don't have the time for this and even if I did it uses so much time I can think of some real MMOs I'd rather play.

If you play sub optimally and find the spots you can spend time on it works and you can progress a bit, but I find the draw to an idle game is you can set up to play perfect for hours or days without any further interaction. Which makes Idleon weird here, but other people are drawn to the genre for other reasons.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It was a bummer because I loved Idle Skilling. It was probably the thing I spent the most time with after being done with NGU. Idleon felt from the start like something to milk money out of whales while being tedious as hell to everyone else so I quickly dropped it. I came back to try it again a few months ago and nothing had really changed.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

explosivo posted:

It was a bummer because I loved Idle Skilling. It was probably the thing I spent the most time with after being done with NGU. Idleon felt from the start like something to milk money out of whales while being tedious as hell to everyone else so I quickly dropped it. I came back to try it again a few months ago and nothing had really changed.

I feel like at its core, Idleon is the same game as Idle Skilling, but instead of popping into 10 different mechanics to quickly scoop your offline gains, poke a few upgrade buttons and whatnot, everything is dragged apart and slowed down for no reason other than to tax your time and make it feel like an old school MMO. Why do I have to manually run my characters through each zone? Why do I have to deal with frustrating inventory limits and moving things in and out of stashes and so on? The MMO dressing makes everything worse and it would be a genuinely fun game if there was a little more abstraction.

The biggest gripe is it makes upgrades "this hurts a little less" instead of "this feels good". Don't inflict pain on your players so they confuse absence of pain with pleasure.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Think I agree with all of you, Idleon definitely feels like a big regression back from Idle Skilling. Biggest problem I have with it is the inventory management, easily; it would be way better if there was some proper material storage instead of a (way too small) bank, and the ability to deposit materials from all of your characters should be base. And for that matter, a way to quickly manage equipment between all your characters instead of "log into one, put his clothes in the bank, log into another, pull those clothes from the bank" ad infinitum.

But, ah well, it definitely has an audience! Just not me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Are the last few adventure zones of NGU supposed to go by so quickly or have I just accidentally been sitting farming the Rock Lobster titan for too long?

I was able to beat hard mode on it before I realised I could take on the construction zone, but i could also almost take on Duck Duck zone too. Now I've maxed out the construction zone set I can easily idle Duck Duck zone but I'm finding I've got almost enough stats to idle the nether regions too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kin posted:

Are the last few adventure zones of NGU supposed to go by so quickly or have I just accidentally been sitting farming the Rock Lobster titan for too long?

I was able to beat hard mode on it before I realised I could take on the construction zone, but i could also almost take on Duck Duck zone too. Now I've maxed out the construction zone set I can easily idle Duck Duck zone but I'm finding I've got almost enough stats to idle the nether regions too.

The do go quickly enough, but Amalgamate will still give you plenty of time to grind up everything.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Was shocked how fast those zones went, I think one item didn't get to 100 until I was two zones past. Got to boss 297 over the break, almost done

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The MMO dressing makes everything worse and it would be a genuinely fun game if there was a little more abstraction.
what Idleon makes me think of is the somewhat better (IMHO) idle game Worlds of Talesworth, which used the trappings of an MMO without being as tedious as a real MMO.

It also had a neat gimmick where you're actually playing the guy playing the MMO, so you have to manage their hunger/sleep/job and whatnot, and eventually unlock some exploits for the MMO.

I'm not sure if I ever beat it or if there's an end, also it's only hosted on Armorgames and Kongregate right now which are plain lousy with ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Godsbane Idle question: do the collectible items in the early zones (or anywhere) have a special reward for merging to a certain level, like in NGU? Or are they just for zone completion and fueling the Heartcore?

Also an early game 'tip': if you can get up to 12 paragon levels (will take some hours, but shouldn't be too hard - you can buy some with memories as well), there's a notable talent called Giantblood - it's basically directly left of the starting area. It makes it so you do 200% of your health regen as damage every time you regain 25% of stamina. Stack some health regen from gear + paragon and it becomes very powerful, and helps you clear a lot faster.

No idea if there are better options (the paragon tree isn't exactly easy to navigate), but it's certainly better than just picking flat dmg or health bonus stuff.