Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

soon as i fix the fan sound on my 360 or get the later slim e model, im gonna play that loving game and listen to that soundtrack that owns.

Blue Dragon is back compatible on the Bone and Series consoles where iirc, it runs slightly improved as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's weird Blue Dragon & Lost Odyssey are still stuck in XB360 purgatory, they'd both be obvious candidates for remasters and Lost Odyssey particularly for all intents and purposes is a genuine Final Fantasy with the numbers filled off

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

soon as i fix the fan sound on my 360 or get the later slim e model, im gonna play that loving game and listen to that soundtrack that owns.

It's a fun game with great music. You could do a lot worse.

Mega64 posted:

You just know Uematsu's entire career up to that point was a build up to make Eternity. Guy wears his prog influences on his sleeve.

Many years ago now in the aborted Blue Dragon LP thread I recall having a cool little talk with another poster about Uematu's music habits. They didn't really like how Uematus did "futuristic" or whatever you wanna call it. Said they all sounded the same, like FFVI's lab theme or whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSnKwn7dwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFtPxR60Zes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

multijoe posted:

It's weird Blue Dragon & Lost Odyssey are still stuck in XB360 purgatory, they'd both be obvious candidates for remasters and Lost Odyssey particularly for all intents and purposes is a genuine Final Fantasy with the numbers filled off

As I feel compelled to point out every time, they absolutely aren't as they're playable on 3/4ths of Microsoft's consoles and got slightly tweaked updated versions (removing disc changes). Since they're partnership it might be hard to make them streamable in the future to PC, but its not impossible that this will happen too for PC/mobile device only holdouts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I hit a wall in FF5. Twintania. gently caress this boss.

I scanned him and he's weak to Holy so I bonk him with Excalibur and cast Holy on him which does 9999 except that apparently he always counters Holy with Mega Flare twice and wipes my party before they get to act again. What the gently caress. I equipped Coral Rings and Flame Rings but I only have 2 of each so 2 people always die but even when I'm just hitting him with Excalibur eventually he does Giga Flare before I can kill him and wipes me. What the gently caress.

You can reflect Megaflare. Go back to Mirage and buy two more coral rings (you'll need them for Shinryu anyway).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That’s assuming he wants to beat Shinryu though

Prowler
May 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1464232475857666056

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've never played Blue Dragon but ever since I heard "Eternity" I knew, at the very least, it had a kickass soundtrack

I did play Lost Odyssey and y'know how people constantly clamor for Bloodborne on PC? Well that's me but for Lost Odyssey on PC. I badly want to play that game again because it was very good, but I don't own any form of Xbox and I'm not gonna buy one just for backwards compatibility to play one (1) 360 game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Barudak posted:

Blue Dragon is back compatible on the Bone and Series consoles where iirc, it runs slightly improved as well.

I figured but either wanna fix my 360 or replace it with the quieter one for all the other games i have that arent bc and i wanna play LO too, thats been on my shelf for years along with bd. Plus have a ps5 so a series x is outta the question for a few years and lol no way am i buying a bone.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 26, 2021

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Chocobo's Dungeon is incredible for my young daughter. She loves that the dungeons change each time. I consider it a gateway drug for when I introduce her to Dead Cells

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Fixing a 360 is worth it because you can still play harmony of despair with friends if you all have game pass or whatever THAT is a game that needs a rerelease on modern consoles and pc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Fixing a 360 is worth it because you can still play harmony of despair with friends if you all have game pass or whatever THAT is a game that needs a rerelease on modern consoles and pc.

They had it as a game with gold a few months ago and still dead due to Konami's horrible DLC practice

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Harrow posted:

I've never played Blue Dragon but ever since I heard "Eternity" I knew, at the very least, it had a kickass soundtrack

I did play Lost Odyssey and y'know how people constantly clamor for Bloodborne on PC? Well that's me but for Lost Odyssey on PC. I badly want to play that game again because it was very good, but I don't own any form of Xbox and I'm not gonna buy one just for backwards compatibility to play one (1) 360 game.

LO is a great game that, like many jrpgs, would benefit from a rerelease with a speed up toggle added

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If I ever played XIV I would make a Gunbreaker and name them Chop Shutey

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

LO is a great game that, like many jrpgs, would benefit from a rerelease with a speed up toggle added

It needs a turn off random encounters, real real real bad

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice on Twintania. I was able to beat it with a bunch of summons and a dual wield holy spellblade for dps. I held action on a summoner to call Odin during the Giga Flare charge but didn't need to because the spellblade just chainsawed him.

edit: lol this loving game. I just beat the first form of ExDeath and the game froze. Well not really froze because I could still hit the auto battle button and the pause menu but nothing else worked. Everyone just sat there.

Edit2: great now all he does is spam White Hole. Awesome

edit3: Finally beat it. What an RNG slog. The throwing money strat worked fine but dealing with all the other random bullshit sucked. I have no idea how the 4JF people do all that with such limited everything. I might try it next year though just to see how it is for myself. I feel like it's something I should do once in my life as an FF fan.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 26, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Watching VideoGames stream FFVII, I'm not sure which version he's playing, but the music just constantly stops for no reason. There was no Shinra Theme upon finding President Shinra dead, the world map music just doesn't play sometimes, and right now there is no haunting theme for when Cloud is talking to...himself(?) AT while sleeping at Junon. It's really weird and annoying

But I'm really enjoying seeing somebody play FFVII blind. I've never seen that before, it's such a famous game.

EDIT:

Apparently it was the PS5 version and this is a known bug.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 27, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I deleted FFXII cos i got bored a few hours in, downloaded a GBA emulator and have started FFV. So far two crystals have exploded and I just got access to a 2nd set of jobs. The job system in this game seems like there is a ton of scope to play around with it and mix and match combos, but it's a bit overwhelming. So far I've just levelled one job on each character - is there a point at which I'd want to start switching around? It seems like getting a couple of levels in monk might be good for casters because their auto attacks are completely useless. Anything else to bear in mind?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Casters do no damage because they have no strength stat and you'll want to be equipping elemental boosting weapons or utility rods/staves instead of barehanding. If you want to have a hybrid caster, red mage and blue mage are right there.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
counterpoint: you can learn levels of magic to later put on more useful jobs and punch through the first 1/3 of the game while fists are still good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the long run you've got the right idea though - a mastered job transfers certain stat bonuses over to Freelancer, so by the end of the game, if you have a character that's mastered Monk and Summoner, their Freelancer will have high strength and magic.

My Lenna had Blue/Black magics but could also hit for ~6000 with dual-wield

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So should I focus on mastering a job before switching out for something else?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Not really, the stat bonuses only carry to Freelancer, not other jobs. Mastering jobs is something I saved til near the end when farming AP becomes quicker/easier.

But also if you get new jobs and go "eh actually I like/enjoy having Faris as a Monk" then by all means stick with it

There really are very very few objectively wrong ways to play 5

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bardeh posted:

So should I focus on mastering a job before switching out for something else?

It'll take a while to fully master a job. My advice is just play around and stick with jobs that are fun for you. Most of the jobs are pretty serviceable by themselves and turn turbo good with some combos.

Good example you may already have: knight learns two handed (equip sword, no shield). Give two handed to mystic knight and it'll smack away anything weak to the element you magic sword. Or the classic white/black mage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You've barely just begun and mastering jobs is more of a mid game thing (and on your first run should be something that happens occasionally partially by accident) if you aren't the sort who can mindlessly grind 6 hours straight.

The ideal way to play in my opinion is to settle on an archetype for each character and switch between a few jobs as utility demands that fit the archetype. Every job level isn't going to be a banger in which case you can assuage yourself with the fact that you're closer to mastery whenever it becomes relevant. Your physical archetypes have pretty basic goals: get 2 hand and or dual wield from knight or ninja and then you can splat around like switching into mystic knight for elemental vuln bosses or thief with thief glove for rare steals in between making GBS threads out physical damage. Your magical archetypes just need to keep up with spell levels as availability happens so you can switch them through a variety of magical rainbow or muscle wizard set ups as you feel the need.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That said, there are a few jobs that are unusually quick to master. The ones that come to mind are bard, blue mage, and geomancer. Mastering bard is pretty pointless, but the other two both have useful passives that could arguably be worth the investment, though it still requires running around as a freelancer in the midgame when you'd probably rather be gaining AP.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks all, will just tinker with things as they become available and see what I like. Also, is there any difference between characters base stats? So does it matter which character I set to which job initially? Or are they all identical as a base?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Thanks all, will just tinker with things as they become available and see what I like. Also, is there any difference between characters base stats? So does it matter which character I set to which job initially? Or are they all identical as a base?

There's some minor differences in base stats between characters but they're ultimately pretty inconsequential unless you're doing some sort of gimmick run with a lot of restrictions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Characters have slight modifiers to their stats (iirc Bartz is the strongest, Lenna has the best magic, Faris is well-rounded and Galuf has the best Stamina/worst Speed) but aside from Galuf’s speed they’re slight enough to mostly be flavor stuff, and from what people said the PR randomizes starting turn order so speed might not even be super noticeable anymore.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bardeh posted:

They're all slightly-different- I think 4 points is the biggest difference between a stat on two characters, whereas jobs can swing them almost by 60, so it barely matters in the long run. If you're really trying to min-max, then Faris is an all-rounder, Lenna leans magical, Bartz and Galuf leans physical with Galuf leaning harder (but for Galuf, those will not be the final stats you're dealing with, eventually Agi then Magic will be the focus there)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Two-Handed from Knight is incredibly good for most jobs. It gives a bunch of strength and doubles the weapon damage. A blue mage with Two-handed will be Very Strong, as will a M. knight. But perhaps most importantly, white mage benefits massively from Two-handed. They already can’t equip shields, and flails deal the same damage in front and back row.

Bare-handed from Monk is fine but not nearly as good as Two-Handed, except that certain casters can’t equip good weapons like White Mage. They can, however, wield rods which do magic damage from the back row.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Characters have slight modifiers to their stats (iirc Bartz is the strongest, Lenna has the best magic, Faris is well-rounded and Galuf has the best Stamina/worst Speed) but aside from Galuf’s speed they’re slight enough to mostly be flavor stuff, and from what people said the PR randomizes starting turn order so speed might not even be super noticeable anymore.

I'm just playing a GBA rom on my phone so not the pixel remaster. Galuf and Faris are my WM/BM respectively, with Fartz as a Knight and Lenna monk. I just about squeaked through the fight with the boss at the top of the second tower but it was close. Anyway, I won't try and minmax too much because it'll turn me off the game, so as long as I know I'm not doing/missing anything disastrous by just feeling things out as I go I'll carry on as I am and optimize as I get more familiar with things.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For any given boss, Neo Exdeath included, there are so many more ways to defeat it than you’d think. Neo ExDeath, for example, is entirely skippable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cattail Prophet posted:

That said, there are a few jobs that are unusually quick to master. The ones that come to mind are bard, blue mage, and geomancer. Mastering bard is pretty pointless, but the other two both have useful passives that could arguably be worth the investment, though it still requires running around as a freelancer in the midgame when you'd probably rather be gaining AP.

I actually got a fair amount of mileage out of Geomancer, Gaia has some solid attacks right when you get the job, and it's IIRC a decent magic stat bonus for a very quick to master job.

Bard is incredibly useful, Requiem will straight carry you through some areas and the Stop song is how I beat Omega on this run, very useful considering Stopga doesn't exist in 5

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh yeah, bard itself is very good, I was just saying that, strictly for the purpose of freelancer inheritance, there's not much value in mastering it outside of a few edge cases.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Did the Pixel Remaster mess with drop tables? I ask because I’ve been fighting Reflect Knights in the Barrier Tower for an hour without getting a single Reflect Ring.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MachuPikacchu posted:

Did the Pixel Remaster mess with drop tables? I ask because I’ve been fighting Reflect Knights in the Barrier Tower for an hour without getting a single Reflect Ring.

I remember even in the GBA version I had a hell of a time getting Reflect Rings.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

jokes posted:

You’ll enjoy Bravely Default a lot, lot more than BD2 or Bravely Second. You’ll enjoy Bravely Second a lot, lot more if you play Bravely Default 1. But I think someone won’t enjoy Bravely Second much if they didn’t play Bravely Default.

No matter what, however, Bravely Default 2 will be a solid B-.

I thought Second was better than Default, honestly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MachuPikacchu posted:

I got 4 without grinding at all. Just climbed the tower and got a bunch of dope rear end rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of the blanket features what does PR change about V specifically?

The magic pots are satisfied with the one elixir, at least.