Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I bought the Guardians of the Galaxy PS4/5 game because of Black Friday digital sales, and it's a surprisingly fun game, especially after Avengers seemed to be nothing but a universal disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We make the stuffing in the bird and about 150% more stuffing and then we mix the bird-stuffing with the extra stuffing so it winds up moist but not soggy. Also usually the turkey comes out good, my mom and sister do some sorta tent system thing I don't know. My mom can't really help any more and my sister's increasingly crippled and she got a smaller bird than usual ("to make it easier") and by her schedule, 2pm was when we were supposed to start seeing if it was done, and it was at 190+ in the thigh when I checked it lol. SO yeah, dry and bad this year.

But I just made stock, so I still get my turkey soup. And we smothered the dry turkey with homemade gravy and homemade cranberry sauce and it was still edible that way.

also I just spent close to thirty thousand dollars lol I feel a little sick and it's not the turkey bought a car

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Best turkey I ever had was a last minute friendsgiving that only happened because my friend was able to get a non frozen turkey like that morning. It was so moist, to the point I seriously don't understand how my family is so bad at it, they are good at everything else for food.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I also made turkey stock and i'm gonna use it in my chili next week :getin:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Turkey stock made, stripped pretty much all scrap meat off the bones, thinking of what to make with all this extra food.

As for the other leftovers, I'm thinking of taking some of the mashed potatoes, making small disks, and pan-frying them.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Turkey stock made, stripped pretty much all scrap meat off the bones, thinking of what to make with all this extra food.

As for the other leftovers, I'm thinking of taking some of the mashed potatoes, making small disks, and pan-frying them.

That is the absolute best use of leftover mashed potatoes. I coat mine in a thin layer of cornmeal (and salt, pepper, other spices) before frying.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

I bought the Guardians of the Galaxy PS4/5 game because of Black Friday digital sales, and it's a surprisingly fun game, especially after Avengers seemed to be nothing but a universal disappointment.

It sounds like it writes the characters well, I’ll try to get it on sale sometime this winter. Definitely interested.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leperflesh posted:

also I just spent close to thirty thousand dollars lol I feel a little sick and it's not the turkey bought a car

Deets on the car, dude

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

seiferguy posted:

The only way I've thoroughly enjoyed turkey was when my uncle deep fried it, and alas I'm still a little too scared to attempt that.

The risks are real but exaggerated. Don't set it up right by your house, don't have kids/pets running around it, make sure the turkey is 100% defrosted, lower it slowly into the oil (and don't panic if there's a bit of volcano action up the middle of the bird, it's normal, just back it off or slow down), don't leave it unattended while it's cooking.

I won't say poo poo like "it's not any more dangerous than normal cooking", because duh that's obviously not true. They still haven't found a way to deep fry a turkey in a totally safe manner at home. But life is about managing risk, and a non-dumb person frying a turkey with normal precautions is taking an extremely minimal risk for a fantastic gain.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

I have purchased the board game "Unfathomable" and look forward to playing it

I bought Robinson Crusoe like three months ago and haven’t had the energy to go through the fairly extensive rule book yet lol. Also it’s a 4 player game and we usually have 5 people who want to play on game nights.

Also I completely forgot about my friend’s family’s fried turkey poo poo show like a decade ago. His dad had an unbelievable string of New Year’s Eve accidents three years in a row. Year one, his dad drove home drunk from the bar and forgot to put his van in park and their property is a very steep slope from the road down to the backyard and the van rolled all the way down the backyard and slammed into a tree at the property line and totaled it. The next year he was snow blowing the driveway and his blower clogged up and he stuck his hand in it (while drunk again, surprise) and lost halves of two of his fingers, and the third year he fried a turkey and burned the garage down to the foundation lol. Don’t do things wasted, is the moral of the story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stuffing sucks, I will take further questions at any time, either here at the podium or in the parking lot afterwards

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I made a sausage cranberry walnut stuffing this year and it was good as hell

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

T-Square posted:

I bought Robinson Crusoe like three months ago and haven’t had the energy to go through the fairly extensive rule book yet lol. Also it’s a 4 player game and we usually have 5 people who want to play on game nights.

Local game store had a sale, so I bought.... Warhammer: Relic, Shared Dream, Andromeda and Exodus Fleet pretty much site unseen because I am stupid.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GD_American posted:

The risks are real but exaggerated. Don't set it up right by your house, don't have kids/pets running around it, make sure the turkey is 100% defrosted, lower it slowly into the oil (and don't panic if there's a bit of volcano action up the middle of the bird, it's normal, just back it off or slow down), don't leave it unattended while it's cooking.

I won't say poo poo like "it's not any more dangerous than normal cooking", because duh that's obviously not true. They still haven't found a way to deep fry a turkey in a totally safe manner at home. But life is about managing risk, and a non-dumb person frying a turkey with normal precautions is taking an extremely minimal risk for a fantastic gain.

Yeah, if I host Thanksgiving at some point I can do it - assuming I get a house in the next year or so. I've told my dad several times to deep fry it and he has the equipment to (plus a hell of a lot of land to do it safely away from the house). Hell, I'll buy the oil if that's the hold up!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What do you do with the oil afterwards when you deep fry a turkey?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Using the leftover ham bone to make some soup stock today. The future holds a lot of ham and bean/cheesy potato soups.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Skwirl posted:

What do you do with the oil afterwards when you deep fry a turkey?

You can get a few times out of a batch (unless you burn it) so usually just filter it back into the jug it came from.

After it cools. Because that’s another thing people have done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Step sister has a table top electric frier and that thing fried the turkey nicely. Also tossed in some field roast sausages after for the pescatarian exgf.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Step sister has a table top electric frier and that thing fried the turkey nicely. Also tossed in some field roast sausages after for the pescatarian exgf.

What's a field roast sausage? Because my understanding of pescatarian is "vegetarian that also eats fish" and I don't know what type of sausage fits that definition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skwirl posted:

What's a field roast sausage? Because my understanding of pescatarian is "vegetarian that also eats fish" and I don't know what type of sausage fits that definition.

Field roast is a brand of vegetarian sausages. They’re pretty good.

https://fieldroast.com/product-family/sausages/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Field roast is a brand of vegetarian sausages. They’re pretty good.

https://fieldroast.com/product-family/sausages/

Ahh, that makes sense now. But you shouldn't cook vegetarian poo poo in the same oil as meat if the person doesn't eat meat for moral reasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skwirl posted:

Ahh, that makes sense now. But you shouldn't cook vegetarian poo poo in the same oil as meat if the person doesn't eat meat for moral reasons.

She’s alright with the occasional meat juice flavor. Like she’ll pick off pepperoni off pizza and still eat it just fine. We deliberately tossed it in the frier to see how they’d turn out. She was involved every step of the way. This wasn’t a fast one pulled on someone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

She’s alright with the occasional meat juice flavor. Like she’ll pick off pepperoni off pizza and still eat it just fine. We deliberately tossed it in the frier to see how they’d turn out. She was involved every step of the way. This wasn’t a fast one pulled on someone.

Ah that's cool then. I just get hyper aware of this stuff since I used to work in a non vegan restaurant with vegans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skwirl posted:

Ah that's cool then. I just get hyper aware of this stuff since I used to work in a non vegan restaurant with vegans.

I completely understand, and there are people like her mom that try to slip her food with bacon in it and other such silliness. It's something to definitely keep an eye out for.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don’t understand people that do that.

Just like take it as a new challenge to make vegetarian/vegan meals

You might like something!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I don’t understand people that do that.

Just like take it as a new challenge to make vegetarian/vegan meals

You might like something!

My wife is vegetarian and the majority of the food we make in the house is vegetarian. I will make meat for myself and keep it separate, mix it in if opportunity allows, but cooking and eating together is so much better.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I will never eat a vegetable you communists!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Don’t eat pork.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
For Fiz:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, if I host Thanksgiving at some point I can do it - assuming I get a house in the next year or so. I've told my dad several times to deep fry it and he has the equipment to (plus a hell of a lot of land to do it safely away from the house). Hell, I'll buy the oil if that's the hold up!

Ladder it.

Bonus you get an "I expect you to die, mr. bond" moment with the turkey

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The cactus fulcrum is right there, come on.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Last year I made a heavily seasoned turkey in the slow cooker and it was incredible, didn't get a chance this year but we're gonna do it when my fiancee's parents visit in December. It was like impossible to carve because it was so tender, I loved it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We had a public holiday this week on the Tuesday so the missus and I did our Thanksgiving then. Can't just go to any old grocery store and find turkey, gravy, and everything else over here, so had to make a couple special orders and comb through the import food shop nearby and get a bit lucky in the process. But turkey breast, stuffing, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, and gravy and cranberry sauce (!!) all made it to the table.

if we have a bigger day with friends then it'd be time to order a full bird, but for two people we even were able to do it as leftovers the next night as well, so a success all around.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Costco can rotisserie a chicken, they should do Turkeys too for Thanksgiving and sell them

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

https://youtu.be/Msdpcck_AdI

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Barely any of that school was there when I was there.

It’s insane.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

T-Square posted:

Robinson Crusoe is brutal, but fun! Only played it once though.

I'm a sucker for co-op games because then at least you know not only one person is getting hosed over the whole time, which makes getting groups together a bit more palatable. Unfathomable is a remake of the old and very out of print Battlestar Galactica game. Co-op plus hidden traitor(s). Seems pretty fun, allows for some light roleplay like Betrayal at House on the Hill which I always appreciate. I like the euro style pure strategy optimum build games fine (Scythe is a game play a bunch of), but sometimes it's nice to get a game of goofy chaos which this seems to fill the role of.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

breaking bad reboot lookin dope

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/farfromallover/status/1464546634835054594?t=bNmucAL9OQ7_RgcnRMZGLA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Do not come