Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

https://spacehey.com/

Myspace is back... in pog SpaceHey form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Oh god, thats the stuff right there!!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I wish Superdisk had become more widely adopted, holy hell. While I’d never experienced the click of death firsthand (though I have seen it happen), about a third of my Zip disks lost their data and became unusable when I was in art school. For how much those goddamned things cost, that was intolerable.

edit: yes, ugh, art school, I know it was a huge waste of time. That’s where I saw the click-death happen too

Not going to bother checking the exact dates since during 90's the regional availability of tech was a thing. Here the superdisks were too little too late; the zipdisks had similar capacity and larger market share with similar costs of entry, and CD-RW burners were becoming a thing and they also covered that "I need a CD-drive" thing when you upgraded to Pentium-level stuff.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

This Is the Zodiac posted:

https://spacehey.com/

Myspace is back... in pog SpaceHey form!

i forgot i had an account there. updated it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mentioned this in the GBS 90s thread, but span zips. If you were pirating big games, like maybe 20 megabites, you could use a compression program to break it up into multipart zips or rars. Just have to hope that one doesn't get corrupted or the disk is bad or whatver.

It is funny when you discover that game you buy on CD was only like 50MB, when the disk holds 600.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I mentioned this in the GBS 90s thread, but span zips. If you were pirating big games, like maybe 20 megabites, you could use a compression program to break it up into multipart zips or rars. Just have to hope that one doesn't get corrupted or the disk is bad or whatver.

When we took trips to visit family in Hong Kong in the 90s my dad took us to the pirate software malls in Sham Sui Po. We quickly learned to buy two copies of games because invariably one of the 3.5" spanned install disks would be corrupt. It was still worth it because the pirated copies were 1/10th the price of the legit box back home.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
https://youtu.be/ijdcyyLcUok

RIP Dave

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah splitting large releases up into 1.44MB spanned zips was a thing long past the age of floppies. I think it was more for recovery and redundancy. If you had a corrupt chunk or it was missing, there were usually also 1.44MB parity files to reconstruct it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah splitting large releases up into 1.44MB spanned zips was a thing long past the age of floppies. I think it was more for recovery and redundancy. If you had a corrupt chunk or it was missing, there were usually also 1.44MB parity files to reconstruct it.

BTW I still saw this online after the advent of high speed being everywhere. Like you'd torrent an episode if family guy and it would be a bunch if 1.44 Meg rar files.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

People did it for a while after floppies too. They'd split say a 600MB CD-rip into multiple 20-30MB files. I guess it was so you didn't have to re-download the entire thing if it failed or got corrupted.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Back in the dial up days, having a Download Manager was a necessity. Being able to resume a download from your favorite ROM site or whatever, especially when those downloads got into the 10s of MBs - that was magic to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

On a 56k modem, downloads are limited to about 2 megabytes/minute (or slower; it's been a while). So breaking up an entire CD worth of data was really essential.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

twistedmentat posted:

BTW I still saw this online after the advent of high speed being everywhere. Like you'd torrent an episode if family guy and it would be a bunch if 1.44 Meg rar files.

I see what you did there.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ultrafilter posted:

On a 56k modem, downloads are limited to about 2 megabytes/minute (or slower; it's been a while). So breaking up an entire CD worth of data was really essential.

More like 400KB/min, and you'd be happy if you got 300K.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Wasn’t the split files also due to things being distributed on Usenet?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

DrChu posted:

Wasn’t the split files also due to things being distributed on Usenet?

Yep. Originally Usenet had a 60,000 character limit per message. So you'd use something like uuencode to convert binaries to massive text strings. But you'd have to break it up. Over time the limit per message went up but I don't remember the timeline for that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

OK, so why the gently caress do people still split files up into spanned archives these days?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GWBBQ posted:

OK, so why the gently caress do people still split files up into spanned archives these days?

One download service struck down parts 2 and 4, but they're still good on another service.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

Some hosting services have limits for what people can download without a paid account. For people on poo poo connections, downloading chunks might be more successful than trying to grab large files.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrAOmzlrq4

I sometimes think they're saying "Ancients of Youtube".

KLF 3AM Eternal

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

GWBBQ posted:

Momentum.

Also dunno how true this is, but someone once told me some torrent clients had issues with large files, but small files were just fine.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

A lot of file hosting sites won't let people download files over a few hundred megabytes unless they buy a premium account, so splitting a large file into a few pieces lets more people download it.

They also often limit the download speeds for free users, and like to drop connections when the server gets busy. So it's less of a kick in the teeth to only have to retry one 500MB part at 50KB/s instead of starting an entire 4GB file again.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

“Tremor Pak”? Was there a MadCatz Rumble Pak knockoff or something? And what does that say next to the “limit 1 customer” thing, “No dealers”?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I shall see your 90’s Black Friday ads and raise you the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6pK5on50A

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

twistedmentat posted:

That was mostly because of outdated pirate scene rules. If your release didn't follow the standards, it got nuked. I believe x264 took a loong time to be allowed in the "real" scene, but the torrent releasers didn't care.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

afen posted:

That was mostly because of outdated pirate scene rules. If your release didn't follow the standards, it got nuked. I believe x264 took a loong time to be allowed in the "real" scene, but the torrent releasers didn't care.

I was grabbing torrents in the late aughts that still had it that way. They were really behind the times.

It's great downloading a 3 gig JAV video thats split up into hundreds of smaller rar files.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

“Tremor Pak”? Was there a MadCatz Rumble Pak knockoff or something? And what does that say next to the “limit 1 customer” thing, “No dealers”?

Probably a memory card / rumble hybrid, there were a number of those.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Probably the same knock off rumble pack I had

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Yeah it was a cheaper knock off. I'm not sure if the official rumble pack needed batteries, but this one did.

I remember starfox 64 came with a rumblepack

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Yep, “no dealers”. I’m not sure if it was a legit worry about their stock being bought up for cheap then resold, or if it’s one of those things to make it seem even more enticing to customers, like “our prices are so low, if we didn’t put that in the ad we’d be swarmed with dealers because we sell for cheaper than wholesale DIRECT TO YOU!”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sekhmnet posted:

Yeah it was a cheaper knock off. I'm not sure if the official rumble pack needed batteries, but this one did.

I remember starfox 64 came with a rumblepack

The official rumble pak did need batteries. A few third-party ones didn't though iirc.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The official rumble pak did need batteries. A few third-party ones didn't though iirc.
Feeding that thing AAA batteries might be the most '90s thing imaginable.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

GWBBQ posted:

Feeding that thing AAA batteries might be the most '90s thing imaginable.

Feeding anything that isn't a remote control for a TV or a smoke detector batteries feels really weird; and I was born in 1978. I think I have a wireless keyboard that has/had batteries in it, but I haven't looked at in like 10 years so its more like I have a wireless keyboard with a battery chamber filled with rusted and busted batteries leaking battery guts all over. I used the battery compartment of my AT-AT toy to hide my weed in as a teenager....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Busket Posket posted:

Yep, “no dealers”. I’m not sure if it was a legit worry about their stock being bought up for cheap then resold, or if it’s one of those things to make it seem even more enticing to customers, like “our prices are so low, if we didn’t put that in the ad we’d be swarmed with dealers because we sell for cheaper than wholesale DIRECT TO YOU!”

Bought up and resold is definitely a thing. The big one I've seen in recent years is the TI graphic calculators. They go on sale for back to school, and scumbags buy them up to resell them for profit. It's double scummy when there are additional incentives (example: $10 coupon for every $200 spent). It's why a lot of places place unenforced buying limits.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Busket Posket posted:

I don’t know about the PlayStation but the N64 was in short supply in 1996, and along with Tickle Me Elmo dolls, they were being sold in classified ads at a markup that Christmas season. As I was lucky to be able to snag one on Black Friday that year—the first and last one I ever did—I didn’t really pay attention to the situation in ‘97.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Antioch posted:

Back in the dial up days, having a Download Manager was a necessity. Being able to resume a download from your favorite ROM site or whatever, especially when those downloads got into the 10s of MBs - that was magic to me.

Fetch for Macintosh was so cool back in the day. You could always pause FTP transfers and restart them. If you lost connection, it would continue where it left off. Then one day it just kind of went away. It was a cool client though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is the most 90s guys name? For some reason i feel its Todd or Kyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

What is the most 90s guys name? For some reason i feel its Todd or Kyle.

Darren