Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Morpheus posted:

I finished 12 Minutes and not once did I stab the wife so I don't know what that says about people that would try it but it's definitely more on them than the devs.

I tried because I was stuck and wanted to see if «hey, guy who’s out to kill my wife, she’s already dead» was the adventure game logic way of moving the plot forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

I finished 12 Minutes and not once did I stab the wife so I don't know what that says about people that would try it but it's definitely more on them than the devs.

lol, no, they coded and animated it, what the gently caress kind of crazy train circus tent logic is this!?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no they didn’t , the game is real, it’s a camera feed

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Turn your monitor ON.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Breakpoint still has better controls tho.

Agreed as hell--that part of the meta or whatever of open world games has made some leaps. O to reload?? Has anyone at Rockstar used a video game before? I will say I prefer snapping to cover with R1, but I'm used to auto cover in Breakpoint now so switching between the two has been confusing as poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's insane that Rockstar makes these open world games that are absolutely unmatched in attention detail, visual fidelity etc. and then cling to these awful control schemes that feel like a mix of the PS2 era, before everyone agreed on how 3ps should control, while simultaneously trying to reinvent the wheel. RDR2 was always sort of mixed bag for me because almost everything about it is borderline amazing, but then you have these awful controls bogging every second of it down. Felt the same way about The Witcher 3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RDR2 is probably the best looking game ever made still. It’s nuts.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It's insane that Rockstar makes these open world games that are absolutely unmatched in attention detail, visual fidelity etc. and then cling to these awful control schemes that feel like a mix of the PS2 era, before everyone agreed on how 3ps should control, while simultaneously trying to reinvent the wheel. RDR2 was always sort of mixed bag for me because almost everything about it is borderline amazing, but then you have these awful controls bogging every second of it down. Felt the same way about The Witcher 3.

I had no issues with TW3 controls while I gave up with GTAV like 2 hours in. Rockstar games are loving awful to play because they don't let you customize them freely.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RDR2 is so weirdly conservative at times despite having this radically detailed and dynamic open world. It has a bit of a split personality. It's like there was a tug of war at Rockstar between people who wanted to try ambitious new game design and people who wanted to reuse GTA as a template for making genre movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

RDR2 is so weirdly conservative at times despite having this radically detailed and dynamic open world. It has a bit of a split personality. It's like there was a tug of war at Rockstar between people who wanted to try ambitious new game design and people who wanted to reuse GTA as a template for making genre movies.

It's the same development identity crisis that 2077 had only Rockstar has 10x as many employees available to slave away until they die

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Yeah it never really reconciles the half of it that wants to be a groundbreaking open world game and the half that wants to be an epic western.

Ultimately I do think it’s a great game but it has these different elements clashing with each other that could have really been streamlined with some better direction. There’s just so much that’ll wow you throughout the game I find it forgivable, but that along with the controls are the only thing keeping me from calling it one of the goats.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

After using my PS4 Pro for ~2 hours I started to intermittently lose either sound or video to the TV. I have HDMI to the PS4 to the TV, but my soundbar is connected to the ARC (not sure if my PS4 should be connected to the soundbar). I can't seem to isolate the issue as trying different HDMI cables or ports do not immediately solve the issue, I wait a few minutes and keep switching inputs until the screen shows up again. What would be the most likely culprit? HDMI cable? PS4? TV port? Not being connected to the soundbar?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

After using my PS4 Pro for ~2 hours I started to intermittently lose either sound or video to the TV. I have HDMI to the PS4 to the TV, but my soundbar is connected to the ARC (not sure if my PS4 should be connected to the soundbar). I can't seem to isolate the issue as trying different HDMI cables or ports do not immediately solve the issue, I wait a few minutes and keep switching inputs until the screen shows up again. What would be the most likely culprit? HDMI cable? PS4? TV port? Not being connected to the soundbar?

I don't know what an ARC is, but if you're losing sound and video and it's HDMI straight to the TV, it's either the cable or the port on the tv or PlayStation. Different TV HDMI input?

e hmm

some Reddit guy posted:

Lesson learned: HDMI ARC and PS4
I'll try to make this short. I have the PS4 connected to my TCL 4kTV. I have the TV connected via the HDMI ARC port to my Yamaha receiver to its HDMI ARC port.

I was experiencing all types of audio problems -- specifically audio would cut out intermittently sometimes as long as 5-10 seconds when using the PS4. The rest of my setup worked fine, i.e. streaming apps from the TV to the receiver. Video remained uninterrupted the entire time.

After a bunch of research, I read many posts which suggested turning off HDMI control (aka HDMI CEC) and similar suggestions both on the PS4 and the receiver.

After trying out a bunch of different options on both the receiver and the PS4 to no avail, I decided to switch out the HDMI cable for ARC with a newer cable I had laying around. That seemed to fix the problem after some initial testing.

I always thought HDMI cables either worked or they didn't. And that they were all created equally. I guess I was wrong.

TL;DR try switching out the HDMI cable first if you are experiencing audio issues over HDMI ARC

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I bought a nice new 2tb nvme HD for my ps5 which I just installed so I can copy all my videos/screenshots from my ps4 to it & give my little brother my ps4

and the music/artwork from my ps4's Undertale theme as I use this thing for the very last time is breaking my heart 💔

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Like this theme is so good. Lots of memories. It's usually pretty rare for me to stick with themes unless I feel it's like 11 out of 10 in quality and the very first time I applied this theme i distinctly remember thinking "I am never changing this". It's too bad I can't take it with me :negative'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I stopped using themes on my PS4 until I put an SSD in because they kept crashing the main menu :whatup:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't know what an ARC is, but if you're losing sound and video and it's HDMI straight to the TV, it's either the cable or the port on the tv or PlayStation. Different TV HDMI input?

e hmm

Thanks. I’ll have to take a look at a new cable.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
RDR2 is easily the best written R* game so its kinda sad that they appear to be leaning into the 'just churn out MMO crap forever' business model.

I think this was a bad Dave Franco movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They were already full force into that business model with GTA5 when it came out. It just didn't work with RDR2 online to the same degree, but the game still sold like 30 million copies. I don't see the endless milking of GTA5 as any sort of indicator of them abandoning anything. It's just a huge cash cow that they aren't going to stop with as long as they can get away with it.

Kind of doubt there will ever be another red dead game though tbh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don’t think RDR2 looks better than literally any other open world PS4 game. Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima both look way way better, to me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I need Bully 2 almost as badly as I need oxygen.

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008
So far I've tried Sekiro and Bloodborne, and while I thought their gameplay was fun, I simply could not git gud enough to not make the experience frustrating, to the degree I couldn't/wouldn't progress past certain points. Are there similarly fantasy/supernatural setting games (or any other environments) out there with very smooth/airtight mechanics that feature scalable difficulty?

Someone referred Nioh to me, but also added it's even more difficult than Sekiro, so I was going to have to rule that one out. I was considering Shadow of the Colossus, Ghost of Tsushima, and maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising, any potential recommendations would be welcome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sealcub posted:

I was considering Shadow of the Colossus

Great game!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nioh is no way more difficult than Sekiro.

Nioh is like Dark Souls in a sense that you can build your character any way you like which includes broken and cheesy builds.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Sealcub posted:

So far I've tried Sekiro and Bloodborne, and while I thought their gameplay was fun, I simply could not git gud enough to not make the experience frustrating, to the degree I couldn't/wouldn't progress past certain points. Are there similarly fantasy/supernatural setting games (or any other environments) out there with very smooth/airtight mechanics that feature scalable difficulty?

God of War (2018), maybe?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sealcub posted:

Someone referred Nioh to me, but also added it's even more difficult than Sekiro, so I was going to have to rule that one out. I was considering Shadow of the Colossus, Ghost of Tsushima, and maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising, any potential recommendations would be welcome.

Shadow of the Colossus is not a very technical game at all, it's more of a real-time puzzler where the puzzle is you figuring out how to climb onto the monsters. Ghost of Tsushima is an open-world RPG lite experience where the only real challenge exists within the first few hours, afterwards you can easily destroy everything with ghost tools and upgrades.

What you want is a Character Action Game (or brawlers, as degenerates call them) such as Bayonetta or Devil May Cry V. Easy enough to beat just by button mashing, highly technical to fully master.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WaltherFeng posted:

Nioh is no way more difficult than Sekiro.

Nioh is like Dark Souls in a sense that you can build your character any way you like which includes broken and cheesy builds.

Nioh is way harder if you don't know what the broken builds are or assume the game wants you to play it 'fair'.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nioh’s harder. No question.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nioh’s harder. No question.

Edit: new excel messed up my formatting, ugh

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 28, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sealcub posted:

Ghost of Tsushima is great. I'd rank it #2 among PS4 exclusives. #1 is God of War.

I liked Immortals Fenyx Rising a lot. I'd watch some gameplay and if it looks fun, grab it.

Shadow of the Colossus is fine. I think it's a bit thin of a game. Definitely better to play than to watch, though.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Me one hour into Ghost of Tsushima : so this is just a Witcher 3 reskin...

Me 10 hours into Ghost of Tsushima : so this is just a Witcher 3 reskin!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Unrelated to anything, I was saved the other day in Shadow of Mordor by the secret orc based on the developer who died before the games release, it was like seeing a UFO

e actually I can kind of connect it, what little I played of The Witcher 3 felt more like one of the Shadow games than Ghost of Tsushima

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ghost of Tsushima owes a ton to Witcher 3 which owes a ton to red dead. What I'm saying is Ghost of tsushima is a western game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That makes perfect sense because samurai movies owe a lot to westerns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

That makes perfect sense because samurai movies owe a lot to westerns

other way around

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The first jidai-geki films were in the 1910s, Great Train Robbery was 1903

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is why games need a damage slider of if they can't invest the time to do difficulty modes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Arist posted:

other way around

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first jidai-geki films were in the 1910s, Great Train Robbery was 1903

So what you're both saying is only true samurai or Western game is Rising Zan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOK8EPsNDI

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Inspector Hound posted:

So what you're saying is only true samurai game is Rising Zan

No it's lollipop chainsaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Inspector Hound posted:

So what you're both saying is only true samurai or Western game is Rising Zan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqYapr2A3g