Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Maenad posted:

Could you elaborate on how you would deal with coalitions? (Beyond simply waiting it out.) I've played a bit before, to be clear, more returning than complete noob.

In addition to what has been posted, when feasible try to cycle between culture groups (less AE with states which do not share a culture group). Religions and religious groups too, but that's inapplicable in western Europe at game start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
All great advice, guys. Thank you! Saved it all to a .txt. ^^

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Y'all know that thing where if you've got the HRE vassal swarm, all the vassals do not count each others' strength to calculate liberty desire, but you can't really have non-HRE vassals because they DO count all of the other vassals' strength? Apparently that is no longer the case. TLDR the complete changelog for the latest patch, but I'm trying an HRE one-faith run and just accidentally released a vassal without adding their province to the HRE first and they're sitting there with 0% liberty desire.

It's a minor thing, but nice.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also, performance improvement is true. Vassal swarm warfare is no longer excruciatingly slow.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I guess the AI's slightly better at naval invading now? :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Detheros posted:

what am i supposed to be looking at here? i see your stack sitting off to the side and a bunch of neutrals

e: oh jenne's invading with 9k vs england's 5k? the text is so small it's hard to tell what's going on. kinda wish people (not just you) would just explain what's happening in their game instead of making people decipher paradox's ui through screenshots in their browser with little to no context. and this is in a game i have thousands of hours in. it must be much worse for new players browsing paradox threads

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 26, 2021

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the eye doctor.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Already been, I’m mildly short sighted; no problems at monitor distance.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 26, 2021

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Detheros posted:

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the eye doctor.

If you're using Awful App it downsamples images, in this case to the point of near illegibility. Once I downloaded the image it was legible.

That being said, if an eye doctor can install implants that let you upscale a low res jpeg inside your optic nerve, sign me the gently caress up.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ngl, dunno why you're gonna browse an semi-heavy image thread on awful app, but that's still a fair point, I'll attempt to be a little bit more descriptive next time....If I can ever get this achievement (For Odin)

I'd kill for the cyber eyes though, I need to go in again myself. :v:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
You can just hold your finger on the image in the app and it will open it, after which you can zoom in how much you want :confused:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Star posted:

You can just hold your finger on the image in the app and it will open it, after which you can zoom in how much you want :confused:

At least on Android this produces a downsampled version of the image. Downloading produces the original image.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've seen the AI suiciding armies while naval invading a lot more. They seem to fixate on specific provinces as well so it makes it really easy to keep an army one province back and just repeatedly stackwipe them.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Detheros posted:

ah yes, the infamous Slave Trade Retaliation War where Africa seized half of England in 1580. Completely historically plausible.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lum_ posted:

ah yes, the infamous Slave Trade Retaliation War where Africa seized half of England in 1580. Completely historically plausible.

If only...

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Detheros posted:

Why have you left the vile perfidious English to remain free of your enlightened Irish rule so long? To languish and suffer in the darkest, most depraved corners of England, mainly Essex and K**t? Have you no mercy?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Rycalawre posted:

Why have you left the vile perfidious English to remain free of your enlightened Irish rule so long? To languish and suffer in the darkest, most depraved corners of England, mainly Essex and K**t? Have you no mercy?

Don't know how many Irish there are in Iceland. I'm guessing not many.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

Icelandic DNA is some pretty significant percentage Irish and Scottish, after Scandinavian.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

trapped mouse posted:

Oh I totally misread that tag. Thought the colour was off. Nevertheless. Enlightened Icelandic rule.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Is there some... thing that can cause another country to become Emperor even when you win the voting? Austria just became emperor here despite me winning 4 votes to 3.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Various Meat Products posted:

Is there some... thing that can cause another country to become Emperor even when you win the voting? Austria just became emperor here despite me winning 4 votes to 3.

You are showing the screen post-election, where you actually have every vote (likely because Austria has no or a female heir). Go back and see what the voting was when the new emperor event actually fired.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The election was two days before the screenshot and electors can only change their vote at the beginning of the month. The icons showing who the electors are voting for reflect the results of the actual election, and I won't get their votes until the following month.

It didn't end up mattering, though. A year later Austria died with no heir, making me the emperor and letting me PU them :v:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Got "For Odin!"

Started with the 3 Icelandic Culture provinces and immediately formed Iceland (and because I've never been Iceland) for some bonus dev, then it's the usual no-cb an Irish Minor and go wild. With Norse you have a bonus 10% Land and Navy force limit modifier so you can field a larger army a lot faster.

Since this involves a custom nation here's my ideas, Beads and Blankets ended up being a dud (I got rid of expansion and exploration around 1600-1635) and if I did this again I'd replace it with some conversion % bonus but other wise this set served me well with how I play.

I did make one colony and basically let them do whatever because I'm not a fan of colonizing at all.

They did well for themselves at least.

Not much else to say except that France kept their alliance with the failed state that was Scotland (I stopped keeping track after bankruptcy #25) until Around 1610 and still had to fight France anyway for Cornwall and Wessex, otherwise another "lol speed 5 for 40 years while poo poo converts" game.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 27, 2021

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Good job... but... you played a Norse nation WITHOUT coastal raiding? Why?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

40 points is a lot for how little I get (money is nice but money is also fake if you need it to be) when you only have 200 and it's useless later in the idea set (and thus the game) when you don't get the early ideas penalty.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 27, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I'm having a great time playing as Mongolia. I rolled a 5 shock general and now Ming's armies are melting. My only hurdle is not having enough admin points for all the land I'm taking.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm having a great time playing as Mongolia. I rolled a 5 shock general and now Ming's armies are melting. My only hurdle is not having enough admin points for all the land I'm taking.

Are you razing and concentrating dev everywhere. As a horde you should almost be making admin by taking land

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Firebatgyro posted:

Are you razing and concentrating dev everywhere. As a horde you should almost be making admin by taking land

I know this is how you do it but it feels like playing a good RPG as a mean bastard. I'm not suited for the real conquest, I'm here to turn the land into a garden of my color.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

razing always strikes me as pretty inefficient unless you are feeling quite desperate to catch up on tech. i know the meta is always be razin' but the math of it doesn't seem like it checks out. it's not like you can raze to avoid AE and that's the bigger problem imo

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You get 25 points per dev at mil tech 3, which basically pays for a full core for the province (assuming equal admin/diplo/mil dev anyway), and the province is probably one/both of wrong culture/religion and is definitely high autonomy, so the dev loss isn't a huge deal in the short term. You can just dev it (or another province) back up later if you want to. At higher mil tech it's obviously less efficient since you get less for it, but if you stick with a horde when you get tier 5 reforms you can just pick up the +33% reform. The other option is +2 horde unity per year, and you get unity from razing anyway, so not a huge opportunity cost. If you reform into another government form how efficient razing would be is obviously moot anyway. So maybe you're mil tech 11 (number out of my rear end, I really don't remember how quickly you get reforms typically) and grab that reform, and you're back up to 22.6 power per dev. If you get horde and economic ideas, you can get another +33% from the policy, so e.g. you'd still get 20 power per dev at mil tech 16. (Horde-Economic-Quantity has neat synergy in that you get -30% dev cost, so with modifiers like happy burghers, universities, prosperity and the edict you can probably just immediately use the power from razing to get the dev back somewhere else, where you already have a core, no autonomy, and hopefully accepted culture/religion).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did not read, burn it all

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

If you are hoarding correctly you need to raze to keep gov cap in check.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jazerus posted:

razing always strikes me as pretty inefficient unless you are feeling quite desperate to catch up on tech. i know the meta is always be razin' but the math of it doesn't seem like it checks out. it's not like you can raze to avoid AE and that's the bigger problem imo

AE is manageable, if tedious. Monarch points are limited and have multiple uses, some of which offer better returns than not razing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Razing has... troubling implications

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Broke my keyboard hitting z -> c in my wc. If there's an easier way to raze I didn't bother to find it. Even sitting at max monarch, raze that poo poo, you probably get a whole 20 ducats to add to your 20k that you have nothing to spend on.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Razing has... troubling implications

Yeah... and so does conquest, colonization, religious or cultural conversion... basically most of the things you do in this game are godawful crimes against humanity. Except for sitting quietly, improving relations, trading and spending mana on tech and development, I guess.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Groke posted:

Except for sitting quietly, improving relations, trading and spending mana on tech and development, I guess.

Imagine thinking that buddying up to colonizers, trading with slavers, and sitting in your ivory castle splurging mana on gentrification, all while your lower classes are trod under by the estates you prop up for +bonii, isn't problematic :agesilaus:

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
this thread loves to single out some mechanic as "problematic" every few weeks as if we arent all playing a famously previously eurocentric genocide simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is a "slaughter natives" button in this game