Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

Second half of Masters of the Universe is up and it's amazing, just shotgunned the whole thing.

I watched it all last night at midnight and I don't think I ever stopped smiling throughout the whole thing. Actually that's not true, I was upset over Clamp-Champ and Fisto, but only for like five seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched it all last night at midnight and I don't think I ever stopped smiling throughout the whole thing. Actually that's not true, I was upset over Clamp-Champ and Fisto, but only for like five seconds.

That was me as well, and I was 3 the last time I watched the original show. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It really was superb. I enjoyed the first batch of episodes, but the second batch was just gorgeous animation, incredibly fast pacing, and I loved how unafraid it was to give its characters baroque, extended dialogue where other shows might just drown the viewer in snappy quips.

The extremely horny scene with Skeletor and Evil-Lyn was the only sour spot for me, mostly because it was just extremely silly and the "she uses her sex appeal to manipulate him!" routine felt atonal to an otherwise pretty pop culture feminism-forward show, and also it got really horny in a way that also felt pretty atonal. I mean, kiss that bone man, girl, I'm not judging that, just the whole femme fatale thing felt cheesy in an unfun way. But everything else was good to great and just genuinely sugary-sweet superhero excellence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Android Blues posted:

It really was superb. I enjoyed the first batch of episodes, but the second batch was just gorgeous animation, incredibly fast pacing, and I loved how unafraid it was to give its characters baroque, extended dialogue where other shows might just drown the viewer in snappy quips.

The extremely horny scene with Skeletor and Evil-Lyn was the only sour spot for me, mostly because it was just extremely silly and the "she uses her sex appeal to manipulate him!" routine felt atonal to an otherwise pretty pop culture feminism-forward show, and also it got really horny in a way that also felt pretty atonal. I mean, kiss that bone man, girl, I'm not judging that, just the whole femme fatale thing felt cheesy in an unfun way. But everything else was good to great and just genuinely sugary-sweet superhero excellence.

Yeah, the part where Lyn mounts Skeletor and he starts touching her stomach and they both start making dick jokes was the point where I was like "Too far! Too far! TOO! FAR!" but thankfully it ended basically immediately right there and the real point of the scene took over, but yeah that is one of the few clunker notes in an otherwise really well done show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skeletor: ten years in and we…BONE (ha ha)…like we’re cheating on each other WITH each other!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I liked "Oh my god, we are."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

I liked "Oh my god, we are."

It was that and "Oh yeah? Well you're a... You look like a... We don't do puns, KILL 'EM!" that got me.

It was even funnier on the rewatch because I checked the credits and Kevin Smith voiced Goat-Man and Pig-Boy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Azul_Yellow/status/1463959285331861514?s=20

Hey what if we took an already mediocre cartoon with garbage-tier writing and made it live action, thus removing the one thing people agreed was good about it. Surely this will go well.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Has there been any indication that chud whining has actually been indicative of He-Man doing worse than expected? Because that would be a shame.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Has there been any indication that chud whining has actually been indicative of He-Man doing worse than expected? Because that would be a shame.

Not sure how well Revelation and the CG series have actually been doing in terms of ratings/sales but I seem to recall the She-Ra reboot from a few years back doing pretty well despite similar whining from much of the same people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

https://twitter.com/Azul_Yellow/status/1463959285331861514?s=20

Hey what if we took an already mediocre cartoon with garbage-tier writing and made it live action, thus removing the one thing people agreed was good about it. Surely this will go well.

You mean the series that's a ratings hit for a network and has some well enough to spawn a spinoff getting a live action cash grab film to join the likesof other sites like Fairly Oddparents and SpongeBob? Say it ain't so

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

You mean the series that's a ratings hit for a network and has some well enough to spawn a spinoff getting a live action cash grab film to join the likesof other sites like Fairly Oddparents and SpongeBob? Say it ain't so

I’m not saying it won’t be successful. I’m saying it will be a bad movie regardless of how successful it may be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Netflix is pretty opaque with how shows are really preforming, but both halves of Revelation landed in the top 10 in various categories in their first week since their debuts. CGI He-Man seems to preforming vastly better, being a full-on kids show and all, but Revelation seems like it’s doing well enough as it is.

Reaction to part 2 on Twitter and Reddit so far has been like 80-20 people loving the poo poo out of it vs. people who were absolutely brainbroke by this show. So I’ll be surprised if it isn’t green lit for more seasons at this point, because despite their screaming and hollering, chuds’ ability to actually claim media scalps is woefully impotent.

Just look at the tantrum they threw over Cowboy Beebop and that show has yet to leave the worldwide top 10 since it’s debut.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The difference is that this is good whereas Cowboy Bebop is terrible.

I liked the last episode as a kind of 'what if your parents were rich and indulgent and you had absolutely everything?'

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Beachcomber posted:

I liked the last episode as a kind of 'what if your parents were rich and indulgent and you had absolutely everything?'

I think those legally qualify as fighting wor-oh you mean the live action show?

Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but frankly I actually liked it? I don't know if that's because went in with low expectations. It's not because I only vaguely remember the anime, since I watched all of it before the new series. There's definitely some stuff to improve, but honestly I've watched (and liked) worse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think those legally qualify as fighting wor-oh you mean the live action show?

Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but frankly I actually liked it? I don't know if that's because went in with low expectations. It's not because I only vaguely remember the anime, since I watched all of it before the new series. There's definitely some stuff to improve, but honestly I've watched (and liked) worse.

Yes, I am.against only the live action. Maybe it gets better? I don't plan to find out.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Unpopular opinion but the CB remake isn't actually that bad on it's own terms. It's not the original show by a mile and a half but the cast and crew are clearly having fun with it and it's got a certain camp energy that makes it an engaging watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Unpopular opinion but the CB remake isn't actually that bad on it's own terms. It's not the original show by a mile and a half but the cast and crew are clearly having fun with it and it's got a certain camp energy that makes it an engaging watch.

That actually kind of seems to be the general consensus from what I've seen. If you compare it 1:1 to the anime, it's beyond abysmal, but the more divorced you are from the anime in terms of either having not watched it, watched it a long time ago, or are just able to otherwise mentally partition it off on its own, then it seems to be more enjoyable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

That actually kind of seems to be the general consensus from what I've seen. If you compare it 1:1 to the anime, it's beyond abysmal, but the more divorced you are from the anime in terms of either having not watched it, watched it a long time ago, or are just able to otherwise mentally partition it off on its own, then it seems to be more enjoyable.

So at best, it's completely redundant?

Also, the chud whining has never affected anything. At this point it seems like just clickbait giving the worst people attention they don't deserve.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So at best, it's completely redundant?

Also, the chud whining has never affected anything. At this point it seems like just clickbait giving the worst people attention they don't deserve.

There's exactly one thing and one thing only that chud whinging affected, and that was The Rise of Skywalker. The chud-driven shitshow over The Last Jedi made Disney and LucasFilm legitimately panic and make Centrism: A Star Wars Story to try an appease everyone and it failed. Thankfully, they took their lesson from it and have since learned to ignore the musty creeps with serial killer rooms full of action figures and funkopops and their fanbase consisting of a few hundred thousand people diffused across the globe.

Kevin Smith made the mistake of telling one of the Head Idiots of QAnon, But For Cartoons to shut his ignorant mouth on Twitter and watch the show first before bitching about it, and that what was set off the firestorm, because these folks are professional victims, and a hit dog will howl.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

There's exactly one thing and one thing only that chud whinging affected, and that was The Rise of Skywalker. The chud-driven shitshow over The Last Jedi made Disney and LucasFilm legitimately panic and make Centrism: A Star Wars Story to try an appease everyone and it failed. Thankfully, they took their lesson from it and have since learned to ignore the musty creeps with serial killer rooms full of action figures and funkopops and their fanbase consisting of a few hundred thousand people diffused across the globe.

Kevin Smith made the mistake of telling one of the Head Idiots of QAnon, But For Cartoons to shut his ignorant mouth on Twitter and watch the show first before bitching about it, and that what was set off the firestorm, because these folks are professional victims, and a hit dog will howl.

I'm pretty sure TRoS was a mess for more reasons than just overreacting to chud whining, though I will admit that Disney is indeed dumb enough to respond to them, see also firing James Gunn because of literal nazis whining.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Chud/regressive whining hnot affecting anything is a better law than the Standard Model. Though it does violate the rule of exception which is exceptional.

fake edit: oh I guess Starwars and James Gunn are examples. There goes the perfection of Ignore Chud Law.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Chud/regressive whining hnot affecting anything is a better law than the Standard Model. Though it does violate the rule of exception which is exceptional.

fake edit: oh I guess Starwars and James Gunn are examples. There goes the perfection of Ignore Chud Law.

Between James Gunn and Sam Seder, everyone Mike Cernovich has tried to cancel has somehow would up becoming even more famous and have gotten even more jobs than the ones he tried to get them fired from.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Chudd's whining never hurts viewership. But evil conservative executives that grind orphans into cigars and have epstein's corpse on speed dial use it as "proof this was never going to work" so they can punch their minority workers in the face and tell them they'll have them killed if they ever say that happened.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Ghost and Molly McGee put its holiday special on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rt3jE0dQSE

I feel like if they're going this hard on Hannukah, I feel like I want the show to end up doing an episode on Yom Kippur and see Molly destroyed by having to accept that her friend has a sad holiday.

I'm really impressed how the show has hooked me. It's got a similar amount of relentless positivity to Wander Over Yonder, but with a powerful manic energy that verges on a little dark comedy that reminds me most of Mao Mao. It's very expressive. But what really sucked me in is the music. Like I was expecting to just never bother checking out the show, but the theme song alone kinda sucked me in, and in the rest of the show, there just keeps being great songs. Ashley Burch is really great at singing, and the songs are fantastic, apparently Rob Cantor of Actual Cannibal Shia LeBouf has done some work on the music. They're good tunes, but the lyrics also rhyme really well and are great at slipping comedy back in, both in recitatives and in-line with the rhythm and flow of the rest of the song. "Your love is all backed up / and I'm your emotional prune" is a masterpiece of a line, an excellent joke and it really slides into your brain because it's following a rhyming scheme that the entire rest of the song set up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ashley Burch is really great at singing, and the songs are fantastic, apparently Rob Cantor of Actual Cannibal Shia LeBouf has done some work on the music.

this is tally hall erasure

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSj4rWxPDjM

New trailer for the Hilda movie! Looks pretty good

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Has Hilda been cancelled and this is the finale?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Andrew_1985 posted:

Has Hilda been cancelled and this is the finale?

No, it's a temp thing until they can get the third season finished. The third season will be the last though.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, it's a temp thing until they can get the third season finished. The third season will be the last though.

Source? I want to believe this

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

:siren:Major MAJOR spoilers but my favourite bit of animation:siren:

Season 2 tomorrow baby!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
About a week ago I started once again what's essentially become a semi-annual ritual of watching through all of Gargoyles(well at least through Season 2 anyways) and just finished Season 1 and yeah it's still overall really good even if the two episodes involving The Pack* are probably it's weakest in terms of writing(not helped their debut episode being one of the few times that Gargoyles being set in the 90's feels dated rather than how it usually feels like it aged relatively gracefully into a period piece, and their second one not only having the incredibly toyetic plot tumor of the Pack Helicopter and it being then turned into a Gargoyles Helicopter but also the fact that Derek Masa in that episode kind of comes off as an obnoxious chode) and Macbeth's debut episode being infamous for how badly animated it is(including some very blatant recycling of pitch reel and test pilot animation)

*it really doesn't help that in their two season 1 appearances and in their first season 2 appearance(the season premiere "The Leader of The Pack") The Pack don't really come across as being remotely resembling a real threat at all outside of Coyote, it's not really till they get upgraded later in the season that they become anything worth mentioning

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched season 2 of Centaurworld. It was really fun, I especially liked Stabby/Phillip Bonecrusher's arc.

I also really liked the Nowhere King's backstory as his Elk half loses more and more of himself in his desperation to create somewhere he can belong, resulting in the mess that is the Minotaur army. Just that shot of his face as his flesh sloughs off more and more as he erodes himself to nothing with unstable magic was great.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 9, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watched season 2 of Centaurworld. It was really fun, I especially liked Stabby/Phillip Bonecrusher's arc.

I also really liked the Nowhere King's backstory as his Elk half loses more and more of himself in his desperation to create somewhere he can belong, resulting in the mess that is the Minotaur army. Just that shot of his face as his flesh sloughs off more and more as he erodes himself to nothing with unstable magic was great.

The Nowhere King's backstory is absolutely bonkers. The big sci-fi concept that he successfully split apart his elk half and his human half, but they were both independent copies of the same person, and the human half instantly betrayed the elk half to chase his dreams? One person who was impossibly cruel to himself, and as a result started an endless war? Completely rules.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Wow, I never would have guessed that Zulius was BatTaur the whole time.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Android Blues posted:

The Nowhere King's backstory is absolutely bonkers. The big sci-fi concept that he successfully split apart his elk half and his human half, but they were both independent copies of the same person, and the human half instantly betrayed the elk half to chase his dreams? One person who was impossibly cruel to himself, and as a result started an endless war? Completely rules.

The reprise of his leitmotif as done by the Mysterious Woman is chilling and heartbreaking.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pachylad posted:

The reprise of his leitmotif as done by the Mysterious Woman is chilling and heartbreaking.

The bit where the General sings, "Hello, black mirror, my oldest enemy..." is just one of many times where the show's tone shifts hard from silly to heartbreakingly cool. Loved it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked during the final battle how each character got a snippet of their signature songs to show how far they'd come. Also Turpleton and his Sonleton using a baby harness to yoyo stabby into attacking minotaurs :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

rewatching Avatar the Last Airbender, which I first watched about four or five years ago before the Blu-Ray edition came out. There are a lot of good moments I might've missed the first time around, like the moment in "The Warriors of Kyoshi" where someone in a crowd foams at the mouth and faints at Aang's airbending trick where he floats a marble between his palms and moves it in a circle, and the transition between a villager telling a fisherman the Avatar has arrived on Kyoshi Island, the fisherman telling a fish seller, the fish seller telling a Fire Nation cook, and the cook telling Zuko and Iroh.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 17, 2021