Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

"Failure to thrive" was a cause of diagnosis that probably meant the infant had food intolerances or a digestive disorder or literally any one of a thousand conditions which we recognise today.
It's fascinating going back over old lists of deaths and seeing the old names for cause of death. Though not always clear to the modern reader, as Naomi Woolf discovered.

E: Oh go on then, have a bog:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Disabilities were often swept under the carpet, locked behind closed doors or buried 6 feet underground. Unless the parents were rich and willing, I doubt that ultra special dietary needs were even considered, let alone catered for.

We lived in a very pigeon holed society, and I've heard older people ask similar questions about why there are so many LGBT people today. It's because society didn't allow people outside of those pigeon holes to easily exist.

In Egypt, homosexuality is illegal, there are a lot of very unhappy people around.

Mostly, people seemed to pretend not to notice, unless they had a private vendetta against someone. Older muslim men will just flat out deny that muslims are ever gay. (I've not had the discussion with older muslim Arab women to know whether that is also the case with them.)

For men particularly, it is very difficult. I know a gay guy there who used to go on the website for gay men to meet up. Normally they would be married men, often with their kids in tow - (not, I hasten to add for any nefarious purposes I probably don't have to say this on this forum but just to be clear) and meet up in supermarkets or malls to arrange their liaisons. I said to him once, for heaven's sake be careful, you have no idea when these will be security forces setting you up. He went home with a guy one time and caught his reflection in the mirror before anything physical occurred and got seriously scared when he saw the look on the guy's face, he was sure he was security forces. Made his excuses and left as fast as he could.

I also heard from friends in Saudi etc, if you're gay, most people just mind their own business, but woe betide you if you upset the wrong person, that's when you might find yourself pushed off a roof.
(Also in Arab culture, if you're the 'top' you don't count as gay apparently.)

One time in upper Egypt I visited a home for orphans and disabled people run by coptic christians. There were some very very severely disabled people there, some had been found by the church locked in sheds for decades of their lives.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, being LGBT literally is becoming more common because a significant portion of hetero dominance was due to societal indoctrination, if you weaken that and particularly if you create supportive spaces for alternatives then people express and internalize a wider range of preferences. I don't think it's just that previously a lot of people were secretive about it. Also arguably the entire concept of being "heterosexual" etc is a fairly new invention, certainly what we would think of as the modern incarnation of it where you are exclusively 100% straight all the time never anything else. So if heterosexuality itself is a product of modern society then it seems reasonable to think about a lot of things that necessarily exist in response to that, at least in how they are necessarily expressed at the moment (lgbt identities in an extremely heteronormative society are necessarily defined by oppression by the dominant norm, and as they become more accepted we see some of the aspects of that definition fading away and being replaced by newer expressions of it that could only exist in a more accepting society) in a similar way.

But all of that is a bit different I think to things that affect very young children who I would think would be a bit too young to be so heavily affected by social ideas and stuff, so that is what makes me lean more towards "has always been there at a similar rate but was not understood" in that case.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some of it was probably a matter of how well you were able to hide or 'correct' it, left handedness was once regarded somewhat like LDs are by general society, some mix of 'disobedient on purpose', 'brain wired wrong', and 'probably satan or something idk' and often beaten out of kids and hidden by adults except when under close scrutiny (which led to some wild papers about how 12% of criminals and institutionalized insane were left handed, compared to only 2% of decent people), but once it just became a matter of 'does some stuff differently' it leveled off at what we can assume is the 'natural' level (as much as writing and cricket and guitar can be said to be factors of nature).

Other things were probably limited by environmental availability, food allergies require a varied diet, dyslexia requires a literate society, photosensitive epilepsy requires strong light sources (or the sun through trees, but usually only moving past them at speed), etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Some of it was probably a matter of how well you were able to hide or 'correct' it, left handedness was once regarded somewhat like LDs are by general society, some mix of 'disobedient on purpose', 'brain wired wrong', and 'probably satan or something idk'

Initally parsed "LD" as "liberal democrat".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're the ones that produce the misleading percentages.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Initally parsed "LD" as "liberal democrat".

:same:

It took me a shockingly long time to work out what they actually meant, rather than trying to find some LibDem-knocking joke that I just couldn't get.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Also in Arab culture, if you're the 'top' you don't count as gay apparently.)

Similar to early modern Europe, because a man who received was playing the part of a woman. And obviously that is just the worst.

Guavanaut posted:

Some of it was probably a matter of how well you were able to hide or 'correct' it, left handedness was once regarded somewhat like LDs are by general society, some mix of 'disobedient on purpose', 'brain wired wrong', and 'probably satan or something idk' and often beaten out of kids and hidden by adults except when under close scrutiny (which led to some wild papers about how 12% of criminals and institutionalized insane were left handed, compared to only 2% of decent people), but once it just became a matter of 'does some stuff differently' it leveled off at what we can assume is the 'natural' level (as much as writing and cricket and guitar can be said to be factors of nature).

Left handedness wasn't a problem in medieval/early modern Europe!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lady Demelza posted:

Left handedness wasn't a problem in medieval/early modern Europe!

It was in the 1970's/early 80's classrooms. I remember people being physically punished for writing with their left hand, receiving detentions and even being openly mocked by the headmaster in front of the whole school during assembly.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BalloonFish posted:

:same:

It took me a shockingly long time to work out what they actually meant, rather than trying to find some LibDem-knocking joke that I just couldn't get.

I mean "brain wired wrong" is a pretty good description of most Lib Dems

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

It was in the 1970's/early 80's classrooms. I remember people being physically punished for writing with their left hand, receiving detentions and even being openly mocked by the headmaster in front of the whole school during assembly.

It went further back than that, as my mother was punished for writing left handed in the early 60s. And it was pretty much done by the early 80s, as while I was punished for it as recently as 1982 that was by a single teacher (and a fossilised old bitch at that), not systemic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Recently stepped-down Barclay boss Staley & Epstein:

quote:

Barclays boss: Brace for shock on Staley emails - chairman calls top investors to warn messages between Epstein and Staley are 'uncomfortable'
Nigel Higgins has contacted some of the bank's largest investors
Jes Staley suddenly quit after seeing the findings of a regulatory investigation
The report's publication could be an embarrassment for Higgins and the board

The chairman of Barclays has privately warned shareholders that emails between former boss Jess Staley and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein will be 'uncomfortable' to read, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

The Mail on Sunday understands that Higgins, who has seen the report, has told investors that some of the emails between Staley and Epstein will be 'uncomfortable' to see because of Staley's effusive language.

One top 20 shareholder told The Mail on Sunday: 'We spoke to Higgins after Staley left. He was very open. He said once you read the final report you will have questions for us because it will make for uncomfortable reading.'

Another investor said Higgins described some of Staley's language in the emails as 'generous'. The chairman also mentioned that Staley often formed strong relationships with clients and colleagues.

Source: Heil/money/markets/article-10248933/Barclays-boss-Brace-shock-Staley-emails-Epstein.html

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
this discussion that started about the crisps girl article has actually been real rad, y'all are a good thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Both my folks are left-handed and got the belt until they stopped being left handed. Didn't even bloody work.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/a-well-polished-jackboot-from-a-fashionable

A fun article on Matthew Parris and his latest ah, contribution to the Times.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Real Cool Catfish posted:

https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/a-well-polished-jackboot-from-a-fashionable

This guy watched children of men and rooted for the British government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's time we re-examined our obligation to journalists, IMO.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Fake news is a really catchy phrase that needs to be exported to the UK. I want kenny labour yelling it at the Tories for added spiciness

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

imo we as a society should consider bringing back exiling people for takes like that. i'd like to re-examine my obligations to that guy and chase him into the wilderness as part of angry peasant mob, pitchfork in hand

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I said it before but before you qualify as a journalist you should be sent off to some suitably oppressive hellhole and asked to write something nasty about the local big man.

If you survive you pass.

Hard mode for distinction - write something nice about Jaromy Croblyn.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

I said it before but before you qualify as a journalist you should be sent off to some suitably oppressive hellhole and asked to write something nasty about the local big man.

If you survive you pass.

Hard mode for distinction - write something nice about Jaromy Croblyn.

Still remembering that time some tiny local paper got awarded the Pulitzer Prize for editorials and not the lovely one for tiny local papers for exposing a scandal where pollutants were being released into the local water supply by people with links to the big seed industry and petrochemicals.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Imagine sitting down at your computer and actually typing this out

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

smellmycheese posted:

I don't really want to imagine having a stroke to be honest

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I don't think I've ever sat down at a computer and not ended up having a stroke :wiggle:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You must be very popular at the office.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

You must be very popular at the office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKH9ECC_Qa4

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

smellmycheese posted:

Is this about NFTs?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guav beat me to the left-handed graph, so I'll mention instead something I saw on twitter as a response to the "millennials these days with their food "intolerances", never existed in my day urgle burgle" - have you ever read a book about posh people from the olden days? They're always going on about their "digestion" and how they feel "bilious" after eating. Bertie Wooster's uncle has a tempremental French chef whose cooking is the only thing that soothes his digestion (and the nouveau-riche Northern magazine magnate can't stomach it and spends the whole story in agony).

Or old colonels having a touch of "bad liver". Or the trope of wives telling their husbands they don't like food X, it angers their spleen or whatever.

There must have been loads of lactose intolerant people who drank milk all their lives, while complaining about their digestion, without ever putting 2 and 2 together (and also people who did figure it out because people weren't stupid just because it was the olden days). And I guess coeliacs just died of ruined intestine (recorded cause of death: vapour lock)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness while I believe dietary restrictions are a thing I do not believe that old timey posh people had them, I assume they were all just extremely fussy rich people.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

josh04 posted:

Is this about NFTs?

I think they've fired their writers and hired Markov bots.

e: Holy poo poo.... https://twitter.com/stuartctaylor/status/1464894451457871874

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 28, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

josh04 posted:

Is this about NFTs?

No its a poorly phrased character reveal for the next series of Peppa Pig.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

There must have been loads of lactose intolerant people who drank milk all their lives, while complaining about their digestion, without ever putting 2 and 2 together (and also people who did figure it out because people weren't stupid just because it was the olden days). And I guess coeliacs just died of ruined intestine (recorded cause of death: vapour lock)

Flux, bloody flux, and scouring were the diagnoses for different flavours of "poo poo themselves to death" - they turned up loads in Bills of Mortality in London but then died right down for a while (even as hygiene standards got ever worse) suggesting that *something* changed in the diet in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. A lot of people point at the potato being the saviour here as the deaths dropped around the same time as deaths from scurvy, which is attributed to the potato becoming the mainstay of the diet of the working classes, but nobody's really sure. It is also possible that people that had been dying from, say, malnutrition or blood loss from long-term intestinal problems were instead dying quicker of other things, aided by the malnutrition.

Then cholera and dysentery came to town and suddenly violent arse-death was back, and bigger than ever.

(Interestingly nobody seems to know what "scouring" consisted of. Flux was an old term for diarrhea and bloody flux is unfortunately self-explanatory, but scouring was presumably arse badness that *wasn't* making GBS threads through the eye of a needle because in many bills the three of them are combined as one cause of death, but there's absolutely no evidence to explain what it might have been, although there's lots of guessing which I won't ruin anyone's Sunday brunch with)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/pressfuturist/status/1464910019275669514

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

what a oval office

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Flux, bloody flux, and scouring were the diagnoses for different flavours of "poo poo themselves to death" - they turned up loads in Bills of Mortality in London but then died right down for a while (even as hygiene standards got ever worse) suggesting that *something* changed in the diet in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. A lot of people point at the potato being the saviour here as the deaths dropped around the same time as deaths from scurvy, which is attributed to the potato becoming the mainstay of the diet of the working classes, but nobody's really sure. It is also possible that people that had been dying from, say, malnutrition or blood loss from long-term intestinal problems were instead dying quicker of other things, aided by the malnutrition.

Then cholera and dysentery came to town and suddenly violent arse-death was back, and bigger than ever.

(Interestingly nobody seems to know what "scouring" consisted of. Flux was an old term for diarrhea and bloody flux is unfortunately self-explanatory, but scouring was presumably arse badness that *wasn't* making GBS threads through the eye of a needle because in many bills the three of them are combined as one cause of death, but there's absolutely no evidence to explain what it might have been, although there's lots of guessing which I won't ruin anyone's Sunday brunch with)

Violent arse-death would be a good username.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

These cretins are all disgusted and shocked by Boris Johnson's ease with just openly being a racist lying pig but then immediately put out stuff like this. Their problem with Johnson is that he's so open about it all being bullshit that it makes it hard for them to keep centrist kayfabe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

Violent arse-death would be a good username.

Violent arse-death is what I wish on whichever fascist pillock in the government is trying to shore up declining popularity of the tories by getting the Mail and the Sun to print a big load of bollox on their front pages claiming the 'woke blobs' have banned the use of the word Christmas in the upcoming get jabbed campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lefty loonies denying the sacrament of are lord jesus christ which is getting vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Again, the similarity between the current culture war against 'woke' and the* pre-war campaign kulturkampf against intellectuals is... there's not really a word, but the meaning I'm looking for lies somewhere between 'alarming' and 'entirely unsurprising.'

* On briefly researching, turns out I used the wrong word. Also turns out there have been a lot of wars predated by a period of anti-intellectualism.

E2: oh no I was right, it can be used that way.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 28, 2021