Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

djfooboo posted:

Zelda 64!? :airquote:

yes the 64th zelda game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I for one am excited at the prospect of ports. Really sucks that you can only play Zelda 64 on a nintendo 64

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rutibex posted:

yes the 64th zelda game

Gonna keep waiting for them to improve for another five games until the series gets really nice

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got a switch OLED despite thinking it was a terrible waste of money cuz my wife wanted to get me a birthday present and couldn’t think of anything

Honestly it’s very nice. I play 90% handheld and it looks so much better it’s ridiculous. Can I really not transfer animal crossing save across

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The eShop added some SaGa sales a few hours ago. Notably SaGa Frontier for $20, Romancing Saga games for ~$8, and SaGa Final Fantasy Legends collection for $15.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got a switch OLED despite thinking it was a terrible waste of money cuz my wife wanted to get me a birthday present and couldn’t think of anything

Honestly it’s very nice. I play 90% handheld and it looks so much better it’s ridiculous. Can I really not transfer animal crossing save across

You can, you need to download an animal crossing save transfer tool onto both consoles, and use that after you transfer all your player profiles over. Google a guide from polygon or nintendolife or something for good measure.

Due to how dumb the Switch account system is, you may need to make a dummy profile on the old Switch to re-"purchase" the free animal crossing transfer tool. Because the console thinks it's a "game" you "bought" on your old profile.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Due to mix up with the family visiting, I have pretty much lost my Pro Controller, is there decent off-brand one or is getting another official Pro Controller the way to go? I've never been too happy with the Pro controller but can't imagine a 3rd party one being any better.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh wow.

To be honest I don’t want to replay AC that bad but my wife wants to try it out on my old switch and ends up with my save

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

The eShop added some SaGa sales a few hours ago. Notably SaGa Frontier for $20, Romancing Saga games for ~$8, and SaGa Final Fantasy Legends collection for $15.

Yeah I'm totally jumping on Romancing SaGa 2+3. The gameboy collection is tempting but I know I'll never get around to replaying those

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

Due to mix up with the family visiting, I have pretty much lost my Pro Controller, is there decent off-brand one or is getting another official Pro Controller the way to go? I've never been too happy with the Pro controller but can't imagine a 3rd party one being any better.
The 8bitdo stuff is really good in many ways, but I occasionally have syncing issues with it, and you can't turn the Switch on with third-party controllers. These sound like little things but they can add up to being surprisingly annoying.

I think the main/only downside of the Pro Controller is that its D-Pad is pretty bad... and that's the only reason I would ever recommend something over it (well, and price, but it's pretty much worth it). If you were ok with it before then yeah imo Pro Controller is the way to go.

e: on that note, Pro Controllers are on sale at Walmart.com, but it's a third-party seller that honestly sounds very shady and crappy. I got all excited but... I dunno that may be a bad idea.

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 27, 2021

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How is the Disco Elysium switch port? Been meaning to play that for a while and while it's on sale on Steam, I just don't have a good setup for playing my PC in the apartment. Switch couch playing is so much nicer

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for reminding me about Hades.

Had someone play my copy of it over the holiday, and now there's a good chance they have a copy of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ragequit posted:

All great games. Folks, there has never been a better time to get SaGa-pilled.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ghostinmyshell posted:

The Pro controller is going to be on sale for $49 at Target for Cyber Monday. You can take an extra 5% off the discounted price if you have a RedCard.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Srice posted:

All great games. Folks, there has never been a better time to get SaGa-pilled.

are the games related? like, does knowing what happens in the romancing sagas matter for the saga frontiers? do the ff ones? would i be lost starting with frontier?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

are the games related? like, does knowing what happens in the romancing sagas matter for the saga frontiers? do the ff ones? would i be lost starting with frontier?

I've only ever played the gamboy ones, but from what I know it works like Final Fantasy. There are themes and monster types and stuff common to the games, but the stories and universe are all separate.

I really love the third gameboy SaGa. Its basically gameboy Chrono Trigger and has a really good soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXOa27ZxTrI

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Tender Bender posted:

How is the Disco Elysium switch port? Been meaning to play that for a while and while it's on sale on Steam, I just don't have a good setup for playing my PC in the apartment. Switch couch playing is so much nicer

Definitely some bugs to work out like the wrong audio line rarely plays, it stutters a bit, and the loading times feel pretty long between rooms. That said it's playable and game owns.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
SaGa games are all totally standalone, you can start anywhere.

In addition to the ones already mentioned, SaGa Scarlet Grace is currently 70% off. It has the most comprehensive ingame documentation of any of the SaGa games, as well as one of the best jrpg battle systems on the Switch, so it’s a great choice if you want a gameplay-focused rpg.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lying in bed playing Phantasy Star IV for the first time.

Goons, I'm cozy as gently caress right now.

Any pointers on this game? Stuff I should know? These tech/skill/spell names are somewhat obtuse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tender Bender posted:

I've only played the Switch version, and it's a real good port. I usually get a bit frustrated with ported RPG controls, but this one's worked for me. Worst I can say is that the load times are noticable and I've experienced stuttering in a couple places.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any pointers on this game? Stuff I should know? These tech/skill/spell names are somewhat obtuse.

The move names in PS4 are dumb, I don't know what it is but in spite of having played the game through like 20 times over the years I still have to look them up.

That aside, I'm excited for you, it's a great game that stands with the SNES Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger as far as I'm concerned

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lunar detritus posted:

for some reason this thread really likes golf story but the secret is that it's not very good when there are so many other games to play

the reason is that it's charming and im not a vg golf pro who needs more challenge in my golf. though i never finished it and probably never will. cheers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
now if you do want hardcore pro golf let me tell you about Neo Turf Masters/Big Tournament Golf

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

abelwingnut posted:

what's the appeal of golf story? been playing it a few hours and it's not really clicking. the golf's fairly easy and the story's not much. what am i missing?

Nothing, that's the entire overrated game

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

b_d posted:

the reason is that it's charming and im not a vg golf pro who needs more challenge in my golf. though i never finished it and probably never will. cheers.

yea, i put in a few more hours into it. it's certainly charming. but it's just kind of...i don't know--shallow? i wasn't expecting like ff tactics mechanics or kojiman storytelling here or anything. but i just don't see what stands out. think i'm gonna move on at this point. just isn't connecting, i guess.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm still liking Dicey Dungeons but some fun become doomed halfway through, it seems.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RichterIX posted:

The move names in PS4 are dumb, I don't know what it is but in spite of having played the game through like 20 times over the years I still have to look them up.

That aside, I'm excited for you, it's a great game that stands with the SNES Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger as far as I'm concerned

Do I eventually get a ship?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That was my biggest problem with PSIV when I tried to play it way back in the day on the PS2 Sega collection or whatever, the spell names make no sense and it wasn't even always obvious what they did even when you cast them. Shin Megami Tensei also has nonsense spell names but at least it says in the menus what they do when you select them, PSIV doesn't even have that.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Golf Story is fun but most recommendations for it came a few years ago. It’s been superseded by a lot of better indie games in that time, but it’s still a fun golf game if you like golf games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea important context for Golf Story is it got a lot of attention in the early days of the Switch when people were hungry to find something besides Breath of the Wild

Geckoagua posted:

Definitely some bugs to work out like the wrong audio line rarely plays, it stutters a bit, and the loading times feel pretty long between rooms. That said it's playable and game owns.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've only played the Switch version, and it's a real good port. I usually get a bit frustrated with ported RPG controls, but this one's worked for me. Worst I can say is that the load times are noticable and I've experienced stuttering in a couple places.

Thanks! Think I'll pick it up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trying to decide between Atelier Ryza and Xenoblade Chronicles while they're on sale. Hmm

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
xenoblade's significantly longer than ryza, if that helps at all

i played both last year (a year in which i somehow played and finished 4 JRPGs, which is infinity% more JRPGs than i had ever previously beaten) and they do have similar mindless vibes, though xenoblade obviously has a much more grandiose story. i think if youre looking for an extremely straightforward slice of life story (re: maybe bring an audiobook or something) ryza's the better option, but otherwise, xenoblade is likely the way to go

will also say xenoblade's combat is way more engaging and reactive than ryza's, which can be good or bad depending on the amount of effort you're looking to put in

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

xenoblade's significantly longer than ryza, if that helps at all

i played both last year (a year in which i somehow played and finished 4 JRPGs, which is infinity% more JRPGs than i had ever previously beaten) and they do have similar mindless vibes, though xenoblade obviously has a much more grandiose story. i think if youre looking for an extremely straightforward slice of life story (re: maybe bring an audiobook or something) ryza's the better option, but otherwise, xenoblade is likely the way to go

will also say xenoblade's combat is way more engaging and reactive than ryza's, which can be good or bad depending on the amount of effort you're looking to put in

Thanks, this helps. I like jrpgs best when they can actually grab me, but I also can't invest a million hours in them. Maybe I should just buy both lol.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
What's a good Pokemon for someone who has literally never played one?

I want to explore an rpg puzzle island and collect them all, but the combat never looks very appealing

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nintendo Black Fridays were always a joke, but they really outdid themselves this year with digital copies of games at higher prices than the cost of physical copies at various stores. I'm sure the salarymen in Kyoto are really earning their wages with their stellar salesing this year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dud root posted:

I want to explore an rpg puzzle island and collect them all, but the combat never looks very appealing

Let’s go Pikachu or Evee is baby’s first Pokémon. They’re honestly not that bad though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

dud root posted:

They're all the same so if you have no nostalgia for the show or characters and don't find the combat interesting, odds are you won't like it. It's a nostalgia driven turn based game that isn't very hard.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Nintendo Black Fridays were always a joke, but they really outdid themselves this year with digital copies of games at higher prices than the cost of physical copies at various stores. I'm sure the salarymen in Kyoto are really earning their wages with their stellar salesing this year.
Perhaps you should play some Nintendo games to calm down

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

dud root posted:

Let's Go is great for kids. Sword & Shield would be good for beginners. The newest Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl are going to have the most content and probably be the best value overall. The good news is the combat isn't difficult at all unless you want to do online battling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dud root posted:

Siralim 3 :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6B44SZkrQ