Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Philthy posted:

I really wish there was somewhere that showed the faces and names of the TV cast instead of poorly drawn fan art that looks completely terrible.

That's Amazon's X-Ray. Or IMDB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Philthy posted:

I really wish there was somewhere that showed the faces and names of the TV cast instead of poorly drawn fan art that looks completely terrible.

Ep 5.
When Moiraine arrived at the camp she mentioned to the woman who healed her why she was so weak after a simple healing spell, because she has defeated entire armies by herself. When that was mentioned I pretty much thought they were walking nukes on the battlefield at that point.

Well do you think the power as we've seen it used would be more or less effective against tightly packed formations of soldiers?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Philthy posted:

Go to the Amazon website for WoT and scroll down to the "Explore" section:

It's all spoiler free and tells you everything about the world/show

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just re-watched Ep 3 with my wife (who saw it for the first time) and I noticed durring Perrin's nightmare that the man with eyes like embers was in the window behind Perrin. Not just the quick flash when he's walking down the hallway.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

CainFortea posted:

I just re-watched Ep 3 with my wife (who saw it for the first time) and I noticed durring Perrin's nightmare that the man with eyes like embers was in the window behind Perrin. Not just the quick flash when he's walking down the hallway.

hmm I missed that. better watch it again!

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

CainFortea posted:

I do like this creepy creepin going on with him but the jump scares feel sorta cheap. Scary man screaming thru my TV for a quarter second right before the protag wakes up! Oh no! I might pee!!

Maybe I'm in the minority about it tho. Love the show anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Philthy posted:

Ep 5.
When Moiraine arrived at the camp she mentioned to the woman who healed her why she was so weak after a simple healing spell, because she has defeated entire armies by herself. When that was mentioned I pretty much thought they were walking nukes on the battlefield at that point.

Oh right; forgot about that one. Well, regardless, Kerene is the leader of the Green Ajah, who are specifically the Ajah that specialize in combat. So it could be, and presumably is an exception in her case. Alanna is the other named Green Aes Sedai, and as noted, she was not only the one who did the majority of fighting, but seems to have ended it too. Kerene was also in the cave during the attack, shielding Logain and was killed defending from an attack he made on Liandrin while they attempted to shield him. Which they were doing while exhausted from having had to shield him for several days, while he was sitting there relaxed and waiting for them to grow tired so he could strike. As you said, Moiraine even notices how tired Kerene is from what should have been a simple healing spell, when Kerene heals her.

Cryte Lynn posted:

I do like this creepy creepin going on with him but the jump scares feel sorta cheap. Scary man screaming thru my TV for a quarter second right before the protag wakes up! Oh no! I might pee!!

I don't think it's meant to scare you, the viewer, only scare the character witnessing it and inform you the viewer that they're experiencing some bad juju. If it's meant to make you feel anything, it's probably anxiety about what the character is experiencing.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 28, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Cryte Lynn posted:

I mean it's meant to jar you at the same time as the characters so them waking up suddenly and being spooked feels natural. It would be weird for them to be freaked out without the jump scare.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean it's meant to jar you at the same time as the characters so them waking up suddenly and being spooked feels natural. It would be weird for them to be freaked out without the jump scare.

OK yeah I can understand that. Still not a big fan of jump scares but I see how it works in this context.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't hate jump scares personally, I hate it when a show or movie relies entirely on jump scares. These nightmare sequences don't do that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So why exactly do some AS have two Warders? Alanna made it sound like a Green Ajah thing, but Kerene only had one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BrianWilly posted:

So why exactly do some AS have two Warders? Alanna made it sound like a Green Ajah thing, but Kerene only had one.

Green Ajah are the only Ajah that sometimes have more than one Warder, but it's optional, not mandatory.

Not everybody finds people they want to work that closely with, and even fewer people find more than one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BrianWilly posted:

As mentioned in this episode, a warder and his AS have a bond closer than parent/child or lover/lover. Sharing that with more than one person is not something for everyone. Also, as seen in this episode, the other participant(s) in the bond don't respond well when the other dies, as the warder goes into a blind rage.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

They're the Horny Ajah, OP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Green Ajah like easy access to dick, and being the battle ajah they know the importance of keeping a reserve force to hand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

The Green Ajah like easy access to dick, and being the battle ajah they know the importance of keeping a reserve force to hand.

They're all tacticians, they know how effective the pincer attack is.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

The Green Ajah usually have multiple Warders because they're the Battle Ajah, and Warders are pretty important in Aes Sedai fighting. It's not unusual for them to have even more than 2 if I'm remembering correctly. Being the Battle Ajah has ended up with it being the "Chad" Ajah due to who chooses to join.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Green Ajah are the only Ajah that sometimes have more than one Warder, but it's optional, not mandatory.

Not everybody finds people they want to work that closely with, and even fewer people find more than one.

Well the green ones are supposed to be the fighters, and it would make sense to have more than one warder if you know it's likely you'll end up in a fight.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

There's so many x-ray notes it's crazy. They should make that stuff easier to find/share

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the flipside, as has been noted, the aes sedai of the red ajah don't have any warders because in the books they're specifically tasked with hunting down guys who develop channeling, but for show purposes are given a slightly broader definition that still includes that but also keeps their general distaste for men for, well, probably obvious reasons at this point.

the show will undoubtedly go into the others and what their deal is, there's a general system behind it all. warders tend to be a 1 per aes sedai kind of thing for the most part barring the green/red ajahs or just aes sedai who don't have one for whatever reason, since it's by no means required.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Barreft posted:

There's so many x-ray notes it's crazy. They should make that stuff easier to find/share

And it is pretty stupidly gated.

Video files? They're all listed on the latest episode aired. Earlier episodes have videos related to them and earlier ones only.

Pictures/concept art? Each episode have their own selection of pics. You have to xray them all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s no spoiler to say that an absolute fuckton of the books is explanation and exposition about how all this mechanics stuff works, and that obviously wouldn’t translate well to a show. The x-ray solution seems pretty sensible (or would be if it were more easily accessible)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

for ex:

For anyone I'd just load up the show, hit x-ray and go to trivia after you watch the show. or even before since it sends you right to the scene. It's really drat cool but like who really even knows this unless they're actively looking for it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

the two rivers wool council's advertising strategy is working

Someone post a comfy clothes tier …

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barreft posted:

The really baffling thing to me is that the X-Ray feature is available when viewing shows through the website, but not the dedicated app. But yeah, there's quite a bit on X-Ray between bonus animations, trivia (i.e. any world building they can't fit comfortably into an episode's exposition), character bios (i.e. any character details they can't fit in) and actor information. Honestly, it's kind of silly it isn't available external to a given episode in the general show page.

I do like how the show notes always put females before males, like that example of "it could be her or him", where normally most things term it "him or her". Women are often the more powerful individuals in society within the setting, so it makes sense.

Barreft posted:

For anyone I'd just load up the show, hit x-ray and go to trivia after you watch the show. or even before since it sends you right to the scene. It's really drat cool but like who really even knows this unless they're actively looking for it

Yeah, I've been checking the trivia and bonus animations after a given episode. The fact they're not generally available in the app or without loading a show is weird and annoying though, so I've been copying them out into a separate set of text documents for my own use. I did all the character bios today after noticing them, but I have all the trivia from the first few episodes copied out of the app too. I used "print screen" to capture pictures of all the bios too, for the sake of it. They might come in handy at some point.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 28, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Like I saw this while re-watching ep 4, I think I only mentioned it in the spoiler thread, but:

It's right there, it's canon, it explains Nynaeve. Yet I can't share it to my friends I have to make a screenshot and upload it to imgur to show people what they're missing. lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tsob posted:

The really baffling thing to me is that the X-Ray feature is available when viewing shows through the website, but not the dedicated app. But yeah, there's quite a bit on X-Ray between bonus animations, trivia (i.e. any world building they can't fit comfortably into an episode's exposition), character bios (i.e. any character details they can't fit in) and actor information. Honestly, it's kind of silly it isn't available external to a given episode in the general show page.

I do like how the show notes always put females before males, like that example of "it could be her or him", where normally most things term it "him or her". Women are often the more powerful individuals in society within the setting, so it makes sense.

Yeah, I've been checking the trivia and bonus animations after a given episode. The fact they're not generally available in the app or without loading a show is weird and annoying though, so I've been copying them out into a separate set of text documents for my own use. I did all the character bios today after noticing them, but I have all the trivia from the first few episodes copied out of the app too. I used "print screen" to capture pictures of all the bios too, for the sake of it. They might come in handy at some point.

If you could document them I'd honestly be very happy. I have nothing to give but there's soooo many xray notes

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think I've said it before but there really should be a toggleable pop-up video mode for all of the x-ray content. You wouldn't even need to put all of the text on screen, just have little annotations with place and character names pop up on the side of the screen to let people know that the information is there

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barreft posted:

If you could document them I'd honestly be very happy. I have nothing to give but there's soooo many xray notes

I put the first 3 episodes of notes into a pastebin a few days ago, and just posted the fourth episodes ones in spoilers a couple of hours after it aired. You can't edit a pastebin you made if you don't have an account though, so I probably won't be updating it with new ones or anything. I'll probably just post them after each episode, unless you can suggest someplace better to throw them that I can edit each week and link to?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tsob posted:

I put the first 3 episodes of notes into a pastebin a few days ago, and just posted the fourth episodes ones in spoilers a couple of hours after it aired. You can't edit a pastebin you made if you don't have an account though, so I probably won't be updating it with new ones or anything. I'll probably just post them after each episode, unless you can suggest someplace better to throw them that I can edit each week and link to?

like drat:

I know they can't say all this in the show, but at least let us easily share it.
*looks at New World*

e: sorry i posted before looking :justpost: . That's exactly what I was thinking but I'm sure mods or someone more smart than my stoned rear end can help.

It isn't even spoilers, it should be showed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barreft posted:

like drat:

I know they can't say all this in the show, but at least let us easily share it.
*looks at New World*

yea

What's the New World reference about? I'm aware it's an Amazon game, but I've no idea why it'd be applicable in this instance. Also, the White Tower being around for over 2,000 years as that note says is a bit of an odd way to term it, because Kerene notes in the latest episode it's stood for over 3,000 years. That's longer, so they don't contradict, but at the same time; why only say 2,000 at all in that case? I guess they must just have changed their minds or noticed differing info from the books at some point in production after the notes had been set.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tsob posted:

What's the New World reference about? I'm aware it's an Amazon game, but I've no idea why it'd be applicable in this instance. Also, the White Tower being around for over 2,000 years as that note says is a bit of an odd way to term it, because Kerene notes in the latest episode it's stood for over 3,000 years. That's longer, so they don't contradict, but at the same time; why only say 2,000 at all in that case? I guess they must just have changed their minds or noticed differing info from the books at some point in production after the notes had been set.

Just that throwing money at something doesn't make it work well. that's all

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I think someone’s wires got crossed. Pretty sure either the TV show or the trivia directly said that the Oaths were invented 2000 years ago as a condition to end Artur Hawkwing’s siege on the White Tower. So the Tower has to be a bit older than that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Grundulum posted:

I think someone’s wires got crossed. Pretty sure either the TV show or the trivia directly said that the Oaths were invented 2000 years ago as a condition to end Artur Hawkwing’s siege on the White Tower. So the Tower has to be a bit older than that.

I'll rewatch the Oaths scene, but Hawking's siege of the Tower was FY 974-994. That's about 1,150 years prior to the start of the series, 998 NE.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So did my boy Mat pick up a cursed sentient dagger and fail his will save or what? Has he actually channeled anything and I'm forgetting?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

AngryBooch posted:

So did my boy Mat pick up a cursed sentient dagger and fail his will save or what? Has he actually channeled anything and I'm forgetting?

I don't think the viewers are meant to know what is going on with Mat, but something strange certainly is happening. He could be channelling, but I suspect we will know something next episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

AngryBooch posted:

Watch And Find Out :mrgw:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rarity posted:

Watch And Find Out :mrgw:

noooooooooooooo

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Thanks for all your answers, i appreciate it!

In indsight i might have needed some visual clues to "Aes Sedai are exhausted" and that their strong connection to their warders also transfers that condition. Maybe the Ladies should have gotten Palpatine-face and the guys walk like a hunchback for my viewing comfort. :dawkins101:
I trust the show that the rest of my questions will be answered further downn the road. That's part of the fun :tipshat:

Also, the greens with their warder-polycule (will there also be female Warders? Let's find out!) serve the old Warrior-/Barbarian-trope to want to gently caress after a hard-fought battle, obviously. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

bou posted:

Also, the greens with their warder-polycule (will there also be female Warders? Let's find out!) serve the old Warrior-/Barbarian-trope to want to gently caress after a hard-fought battle, obviously. :wink:

Jordan did write Conan novels prior to Wheel.