Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The LZs and planets themselves are definitely not finished, at least as far as what CIG has planned. Area 18 is supposed to have shady back alleys with less-legal business going on, and ArcCorp is supposed to have oceans, mountains, and exposed undeveloped land. It has none of that so far. It stands to reason that they'll expand it in a later pass. Something something alpha same old same old.

My dream is that eventually CIG implements the full Terra Prime metro map datamined forever ago (so old it can't be considered accurate or even intended content anymore) as at MINIMUM pockets of hand-built space around each metro station that provides a few different shops appropriate for the economic/social status of the district as well as the most important element, a player hab apartment tower/building. With each individual room assigned to a unique player on a rental basis and having windows bearing the exact perspective of their position in the building - lucky is the player who gets a view over the bay with sunset views. Ideally I'd like for there to be roads so I can use my own Drake Dragonfly to drive home sometimes but for the sake of the game releasing sometime before my children retire I'll settle with riding trains Chris.

My dream is to recreate the feeling of coming home from a long trip, on foot if we're sticking to trains instead of driving home on roads through the city. You go through customs at the airport and get your stuff, then you get on the train/bus, watch the city go by, and then finally drag your tired rear end off at your stop and trudge through familiar surroundings. Into the same old lobby, over to the elevators, your floor, and finally you're there, weary but comforted by the fact that after a long day you're finally at your own door. You're at home. It's uniquely satisfying, and just imagine having your own particular place somewhere in Prime, with its own 'balcony' view over the city.

I think Chris wants this as well, if you were to corner him in a Pub Citizen. But I don't want CIG even thinking of expanding Terra Prime to this level of comprehensive environment coverage before leaving beta because there are 60 non-essential stations on that metro map and talk about low priority when we're at one star system with one more on the way once the server tech understands what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Trudging through old familiar places is key to the epic space game experience

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

The LZs and planets themselves are definitely not finished, at least as far as what CIG has planned. Area 18 is supposed to have shady back alleys with less-legal business going on, and ArcCorp is supposed to have oceans, mountains, and exposed undeveloped land. It has none of that so far. It stands to reason that they'll expand it in a later pass. Something something alpha same old same old.

My dream is that eventually CIG implements the full Terra Prime metro map datamined forever ago (so old it can't be considered accurate or even intended content anymore) as at MINIMUM pockets of hand-built space around each metro station that provides a few different shops appropriate for the economic/social status of the district as well as the most important element, a player hab apartment tower/building. With each individual room assigned to a unique player on a rental basis and having windows bearing the exact perspective of their position in the building - lucky is the player who gets a view over the bay with sunset views. Ideally I'd like for there to be roads so I can use my own Drake Dragonfly to drive home sometimes but for the sake of the game releasing sometime before my children retire I'll settle with riding trains Chris.

My dream is to recreate the feeling of coming home from a long trip, on foot if we're sticking to trains instead of driving home on roads through the city. You go through customs at the airport and get your stuff, then you get on the train/bus, watch the city go by, and then finally drag your tired rear end off at your stop and trudge through familiar surroundings. Into the same old lobby, over to the elevators, your floor, and finally you're there, weary but comforted by the fact that after a long day you're finally at your own door. You're at home. It's uniquely satisfying, and just imagine having your own particular place somewhere in Prime, with its own 'balcony' view over the city.

I think Chris wants this as well, if you were to corner him in a Pub Citizen. But I don't want CIG even thinking of expanding Terra Prime to this level of comprehensive environment coverage before leaving beta because there are 60 non-essential stations on that metro map and talk about low priority when we're at one star system with one more on the way once the server tech understands what to do with it.

Ah yes, the Halcyon moments of coming back from a long trip and spending hours of my life trudging through customs, fighting traffic, collapsing in my bed with a stress headache. I want to relive that over and over again in real time! Thank you CIG!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Sorry my dude but painful trudgery HAS been done before in an MMO

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
PSA: The ARGO RAFT will kill you [concern]

quote:

The ARGO RAFT has a serious issue right now where if you are landed on a planet / non-landing pad there's a 4/5 chance you'll get pushed under the terrain and into the planet's void when boarding the elevator. I would seriously advise anyone flying the RAFT to just not bother for the time being til it's fixed.

It appears there's a hidden blocking volume that stops the player getting in/out of the elevator when it's in movement - which will default to block after a few minutes of being down, as it's invisible there's no clear way to know if it's safe to board or not, and the only way to test is to try - at which point it's a dice roll if you fall under the terrain or not.

So just land on a landing pad you moron, no?

quote:

On the flip side to this, if you park it on a pad and experience the "Death by Stairs" or "Death by Wind", the outpost will store your ship, but will not let you retrieve it, so you then you have to claim it and lose everything. This bug affects all ships. SO, it is better to get a ramped ship and park it off the pads.

Ok, so get a ship with a ramp and then park it off the pads

quote:

Of course, then you experience the ship blowing away like a particularly annoying Wizard of Oz remake leaving you to freeze/boil to death.

So the proper solution is?

quote:

Really nice ship, but a little buggy yet. Now parked it in my hangar and will wait for some bug fixes. I hope CIG will give it some love soon. And please fix the hydrogen fuel consumption.

Boy I sure hope they give the brand new ship some love soon. Love ship.

finally:

quote:

They need docking tampons instead of pads. The steel beams that come up and hold your ship would make it so your ship can't move around by wind. I know, the name is weird but you know the community will eventually call them that.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
All we are is spaceships on the wind

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and there is a new ship on sale, the Odissey which is, let me check... A cargo hauler explorer pocket-carrier medical miner refinery with capital shields. It does it all*

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18438-Introducing-The-MISC-Odyssey

Secure yours now!

Now is the time because, as a concept ship, it'll get a 15-20% increase in price once it become flyable.

*most of all is not implemeted yet

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
all good questions here.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Did you guys actually progress to new ships? Is it possible to attain one of the higher tier ships into the $500 level?

We've progressed to new ships easily. We rate it on a system of Real Life Dollars Per Hour to assess how grindy the beta system is.

As a specific example: the Vanguard line of ships is easily one of if not the best investment in the game, because it does most of the things there even is to do in the PU. It has enough fuel that you can use the beefiest and most wasteful quantum drives on it to minimize your travel time, it's got space in the back for carrying packages and players, it can dogfight most any other type of ship effectively for bounties, and it doesn't take much time to land planetside in one because it's still a relatively small individual craft. It does most of the things that there's any practical need to do for a general purpose craft.

Most models are very practically accessible at around 2m AUEC (the in-game currency). Checking right now on the game sales pages, they are selling them for $260 if you want to just click the magic "i have this now" button.

You can start the game in a junky starter ship, grind missions, and get one in not altogether that much time. I logged in post-wipe with nothing but 20k AUEC and the Mustang Alpha, and immediately started powering out a particular mission that pays 50k AUEC per run (plus ~1-2k for additional bounty from the Call to Arms bonuses). You can probably get the mission done in 10 minutes, relog, and do it again. poo poo goes wrong constantly so you have to assume that one every five runs or so something will go Very Wrong and mean you wasted all your time, so the time per clear increases to 15.

So that's around 250k AUEC an hour ... without needing anything except for your starter ship and a pistol. You can loot everything else you need.

So eight hours of missions total puts you in the most individually valuable ship in the game. Which you can then use to continue progression towards other ships that have niche functionality in earning cash and — depending on the status of the alpha at that time — might be able to earn much more effective cash per hour. Mining ships and cargo ships.

So. This means that by just playing the game, with nothing more than what the base game package puts you in, you're already earning the equivalent of ~$31 per hour towards the USD cost of ships you can buy.

And (here's the more important part) the act of doing so is a great way to train you on a wide range of the game's fundamentals. You learn piloting, basic dogfighting, EVA, planetary landing, first person shooter combat, mission management, loving with the mobiglas map, whatever. There's realistically no requirement to skip the initial money earning whatsoever ... unless you're admitting to yourself that the game is a joyless slog built around P2W systems that frustrates you to the point of paying more money just to skip the grind. And if that's what the game realistically is, they need ot ask what the gently caress makes it worth hundreds of dollars? That's just mobile freemium vortex.

quote:

Was the actual content like fighting enemy ships any fun when it worked?

Yes. This is what I think is the most frustrating part of the entire game — that occasionally the PU hits just right and gives you an impressively satisfying all-round game experience. Like, you'll take off from microtech during a particularly beautiful sunrise during a snowstorm, bust out into orbit through the clouds, respond to a distress call, QD to a disabled craft, strafe down and chew up a couple of pirate ships, EVA out of your ship and float over using your spacesuit thrusters to board the distressed craft, hunt down and kill all the pirates on the vessel, collect your pay and move on. It's legitimately fun and somewhat engrossing. And anytime the game ever actually accomplishes these things, it just makes me mad. There's genuine potential here, but it's all mostly solidly wasted by a company that cannot, cannot, cannot establish its own scope and work out all the gameplay loops in a reasonable timeframe, or polish ANYTHING, and will probably continue to managerially spiral out of control until it collapses under the weight of all its maladaptive development processes and scope creep.

It just makes me wish other companies would take a crack at this poo poo. Elite Dangerous is tired and played out and it never made a real effort to bridge the immersion gap and integrate "you as a person, walking around" with "you as a ship pilot" so there's not a lot else to do there. It also never really integrated multicrew or created a meaningful multiperson ship experience. Star Citizen should not be pioneering these things. Other people should have looked at what Roberts was even doing YEARS ago, looked at the desperately large sums of nerd cash that weirdo whales are hurling at this game, and said "hey! we should do this, but as .. like, an actual game"

But they don't, so here we are.

quote:

In a 2-hour play session, how many game-killing bugs did you typically hit?

Prior to 3.15, you were likely to encounter at least one. There would always be something weird. You'd lower your loading ramp after landing on a planet and your ship would drop through the loving planet and kill you. Or your cargo ship would decide that, as a Libra with mercury in retrograde, it was NOT having it with your whole 'having a fun time gaming' thing and would instead warp into the sun. Or you'd be running up the stairs and literally just die because the game's physics engine interfaced poorly with the latency and determined that you rubberbanded into a polygon with a jillion newtons of force or whatever and you'd just spontaneously die. But, most often, you'd finally get everyone assembled to do something as a group and the server would poo poo the bed and kick you all back to lobby — the infamous "30k" error that would happen sometimes on an hourly basis because the devs had never figured out how to make even very small servers (fifty players max!) work stable without frequent server continuity ending errors just being the normal state of affairs.

Post 3.15, things are somewhat, SOMEWHAT stable. But that's with several caveats. If you're a new player and you jumped in, you'd still die or get hosed over by total headscratching bullshit so often that you'd be in awe of the condition of the game.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The only way you truly avoid enough bugs to be able to have a pseudo-normal game experience is by becoming a superstitious obsessive. I'm paraphrasing here, but the way it was put by us is that navigating Star Citizen as a game experience turns you into a superstitious villager in a cursed Steven King forest.

You progressively turn into a grizzled and wary paranoiac that has learned the Manyfold Paths to not angering the fickle spirits of the forest. You just start ... unconsciously remembering things you're not supposed to do because it invites the wrath of the game engine. You're constantly triple-checking elevator doors as you pass into them, you walk up stairs a certain way, you never touch or interface with specific things. You just subconsciously start developing a sixth-sense instinct about what not to do, carefully treading along the paths that preserve your life. The elders of your village just know things, like never to use the cargo hatch on the 300 series, lest you desire to be entombed eternally. Tales are told of the fickle youth who failed to heed their step at New Babbage Spaceport and stepped off the tram only to plummet into the sucking void of the planet.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thanks for the detailed write-up! I've been really curious as to what the actual state of the game was, but not near enough to install it myself.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
It's been wild. It's half game test experience, half human safari. The various personalities that get wrapped up in SC make it so that no single day spent noodling around in this poo poo is ever really dull. We've sat in front of the computer and listened on discord as multiple whales in a general chat just fervently talked themselves up almost to the point of sexual excitement about what ships they were going to save IRL money for next, hyping each other up, dripping Weird Cult Energy. We've listened to sardonic weirdos like us talk about how it makes PVP or griefing more interesting in this game than it has practically ever been for them in any other game because you can just like ... serially disrespect these people and subject them to hours of the in-game equivalent of giving them a swirlie and stuffing them in a locker, and they will never not try to 'roll with it' and write it all off as just hiccups on the path to glory of the Best Game in the Universe (patentmark pending) because the alternative is them acknowledging even just to themselves that thousands of dollars is a steep buy-in for a test environment of 3 and a half planets that is persistently plagued by bad design decisions and warcrime levels of engine jank.

When the PTU accidentally introduced what we called the "Medical Malpractice Meta" we were drugging them and dragging them away in our ships to loot them and then try to toss them in space and see if we could bowl for whales and the whole time they're just trying to go 'the joke's on you, this is evidence of the extent of groundbreaking real-time immersion introduced by chris roberts'

We don't know how to feel about how this has given us more entertainment than many actually released games that, you know, work. It's like playing a social experiment in process. Half of it is our starvation for the next truly good space sim experience. Half of it is the utter fascination of a decade-long alpha powered on freemium frenzy sales models and the various personalities it attracts.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

We've sat in front of the computer and listened on discord as multiple whales in a general chat just fervently talked themselves up almost to the point of sexual excitement about what ships they were going to save IRL money for next, hyping each other up, dripping Weird Cult Energy.

Yeah, ALMOST to the point... people like your Clifford's and your (what was that other weird guys name that constantly tries to suck CIG's dick? *EDIT* Jorun) are for sure 100% getting off on this poo poo, that's why they post about how much money they spend on everything (not just jpeg ships) because it gives them pleasure to lord it over others

They are the living meme caricature of some goony nerd whale sitting back swirling his wine glass while discussing his next big investment in jpeg futures

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Kavros posted:

It's been wild. It's half game test experience, half human safari.

this is a quality post, I actually want to install it to gently caress with whales now.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The best part about that, to me, is that the vast majority of the ships they are purchasing have no viable purpose. You just have them and they don't do anything but let you fly them around. None of the (excessively detailed and specific!) gameplay loops that would need to be implemented in order for them to serve ANY purpose is even in. Some of them, like the repair ships, are three levels of nonexistent gameplay loops deep. You need nonexistent gameplay to be implemented so there's need for a different form of gameplay so that there's a third form of gameplay necessary to the in-game economic environment otherwise your ship is just "i have it to have it"

But they will play out excessively long, hours-length youtube videos hypothetically postulating how fun it will be to have X ship to do vital Y thing for when this game is an actual game. And many of them think that they're going to have dozens of real life human beings scrabbling to crew their ships and do menial details like manning engineering stations, when games have died on the virtue of that it is extremely difficult to even get 4 people to act auxiliary function for core gameplay (see: Guns of Icarus and how many people truly wanted to play as dedicated engineers, in a game that would drop you all in as crew in rapid matchmaking environments).

They are whaling their way past a game experience already experiencing an extreme paucity of Things To Do to begin with, so their impulse is to pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to ... have even less to do? To completely skip the genuine bulk of the game? What makes these games fun, generally, is that you start with a handful of pocket change, a dumpy shuttle that will barely get your foot in the door as an independent pilot, and you can work your way up from there. That's it. That's the game. Everyone bragging about these ships is just directly saying to me "I paid lots of money to not even have that experience."

... Congratulations? And it would drive them up the loving wall to have me explain that I pity them for virtue of their collection. Like it actually psychologically makes them mad.

Anyway, this almost gets us to the part where the game has a huge multicrew gameplay expectation error that, in all likelihood, will only be solved with NPC's and slaving-to-pilot systems — and 9 out of 10 whales playing this game utterly refuse to see it. They honestly believe they're gonna have WoW style 40 person raid size groups (which we all know are so notoriously easy to collect and organize) permanently manning their whale yacht ball turrets to add an additional 2% DPS to the ship's output or something.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

The current thread on idle games is called „pay not to play“. Always thought SC would make a good idle game actually.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dr. Honked posted:

All we are is spaceships on the wind

Not if you have not paid enough money, then you are just a janitor putting rubbish in the bin.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Blackstone posted:

The current thread on idle games is called „pay not to play“. Always thought SC would make a good idle game actually.

it would need to be a game first

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
I would pay money not to play Star Citizen. All thanks to the great Chris Roberts, and his magnanimous policy of not charging non-customers anything at all to not play his game, I don't have to pay a dime.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Kavros posted:

The only way you truly avoid enough bugs to be able to have a pseudo-normal game experience is by becoming a superstitious obsessive. I'm paraphrasing here, but the way it was put by us is that navigating Star Citizen as a game experience turns you into a superstitious villager in a cursed Steven King forest.

You progressively turn into a grizzled and wary paranoiac that has learned the Manyfold Paths to not angering the fickle spirits of the forest. You just start ... unconsciously remembering things you're not supposed to do because it invites the wrath of the game engine. You're constantly triple-checking elevator doors as you pass into them, you walk up stairs a certain way, you never touch or interface with specific things. You just subconsciously start developing a sixth-sense instinct about what not to do, carefully treading along the paths that preserve your life. The elders of your village just know things, like never to use the cargo hatch on the 300 series, lest you desire to be entombed eternally. Tales are told of the fickle youth who failed to heed their step at New Babbage Spaceport and stepped off the tram only to plummet into the sucking void of the planet.

I was actually wondering about this specific facet. The concept of the game engine being this temperamental being that demands you do specific poo poo to not piss it if is incredibly funny to me. Thank you for your sacrifice in exposing yourselves to this kind of radioactive material for a straight month.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Kavros posted:

The best part about that, to me, is that the vast majority of the ships they are purchasing have no viable purpose. You just have them and they don't do anything but let you fly them around. None of the (excessively detailed and specific!) gameplay loops that would need to be implemented in order for them to serve ANY purpose is even in. Some of them, like the repair ships, are three levels of nonexistent gameplay loops deep. You need nonexistent gameplay to be implemented so there's need for a different form of gameplay so that there's a third form of gameplay necessary to the in-game economic environment otherwise your ship is just "i have it to have it"

But they will play out excessively long, hours-length youtube videos hypothetically postulating how fun it will be to have X ship to do vital Y thing for when this game is an actual game. And many of them think that they're going to have dozens of real life human beings scrabbling to crew their ships and do menial details like manning engineering stations, when games have died on the virtue of that it is extremely difficult to even get 4 people to act auxiliary function for core gameplay (see: Guns of Icarus and how many people truly wanted to play as dedicated engineers, in a game that would drop you all in as crew in rapid matchmaking environments).

They are whaling their way past a game experience already experiencing an extreme paucity of Things To Do to begin with, so their impulse is to pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to ... have even less to do? To completely skip the genuine bulk of the game? What makes these games fun, generally, is that you start with a handful of pocket change, a dumpy shuttle that will barely get your foot in the door as an independent pilot, and you can work your way up from there. That's it. That's the game. Everyone bragging about these ships is just directly saying to me "I paid lots of money to not even have that experience."

... Congratulations? And it would drive them up the loving wall to have me explain that I pity them for virtue of their collection. Like it actually psychologically makes them mad.

Anyway, this almost gets us to the part where the game has a huge multicrew gameplay expectation error that, in all likelihood, will only be solved with NPC's and slaving-to-pilot systems — and 9 out of 10 whales playing this game utterly refuse to see it. They honestly believe they're gonna have WoW style 40 person raid size groups (which we all know are so notoriously easy to collect and organize) permanently manning their whale yacht ball turrets to add an additional 2% DPS to the ship's output or something.

Question, what do the whales do in game? All I ever see are pictures of them with 10 other 890's. Are they actually playing the game and do they get pissy when a player like you enforces your will upon them in dreaded Pee Vee Pee?

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Their really should be more Futurama references in this thread.

Backers voted to expand the scope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F4OduqrtQ

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
There's three general things obvious whales get up to in any situation where an event's not happening (i.e., Not Now, because it's the IAE/free fly event).

1. Just dick around in their ships trying to come up with player-run theme activities. they'll always be like "let's set up an expedition in our carrack" or whatever and that just basically means crowding onto a giant ship to do nothing ... together™ ... but you faff about over it over discord. This is a secondary function to number 3.

2. Grind to get not-poo poo components in their ships. Almost nothing you buy in the in game shop gets you the in game cash you need to fill out your ships with better-than-trash internals (think Elite Dangerous, and how the base model of every ship you buy starts out with E-grade components; much work has to go into swapping out those junk-grade components with better ones). Many of them are surprisingly bad at cranking out the actual AUEC necessary to do this, and that was the part I wasn't expecting. The ships which are actually useful for AUEC farming are on the low end of the cost scale and nearly all the expensive ships that the whales are loving shotgunning their own tits off over are big fat concept ships, either utterly useless or not actually in the game. But you need to get better QDs in your ships, or slap on not bad weapons* and all this takes auec, which nobody had after the 3.15 wipe. This is also a secondary function to number 3.

3. Talk about their ships loving forever. this is actually the meta-level endgame of star citizen for the whales. you talk about your ships. you sit in discords and you talk about how great your investments are. this is not really an exaggeration, this is the literal truth of it.

While the psychologically bizarre whales have an outsized presence in the greater community at large just on the virtue of how their bizarre and fixative overenthusiasm puts them there 24/7 with wild energy, they're quite fortunately a very small actual presence ingame. Easy to completely ignore or not encounter when you're just out doing your own thing. The true trick in dealing with whales is figuring out what chat communities have people in them which can actually help you have fun and/or work around the game's bugs and jank without drowning you in wild-rear end whale energy.

Whales are a tiny bit more dangerous right now than they usually are on account of that they are the only ones who can indefinitely access a ship called the Ares Ion, which is designed around one very large energy cannon that, with sufficient trigger discipline, absolutely brutalizes, and can often one-shot smaller ships. It is so poorly tuned at present that it trivializes most pve space combat matters. But still, most whales are not actually good at pvp, and so as long as you have a high skill range ship with lots of lateral and vertical thrust speed, like the Gladius or the Talon, you can still fly (literal) circles around their comparatively sluggish death cannon platforms. Eventually the Ion will be available for in-game AUEC purchase and the field will equalize, and/or the developers will recognize their mistakes and carve away the snap damage of the ship's sole weapon to keep it from destroying the existing game balance, in so doing rendering it a relatively mediocre ship overall. This cycle is where most of the universe's in-game deposits of abundant salt are mined from, because we must again remember that they're paying multiple hundreds of dollars to own these ships, and the pattern that's been emerging is that they're sold overtuned and then (after the sale's over) they are nerfed back into line. See also the Talon, which spent a small heydey as an absolutely disgustingly powerful light fighter.

When there's no Ares Ion style situation where the backers have sole access to a facewrecker ship, most whales settle down into not being that much of a presence in PvP either. And I find that funny; most of them are just here to own stuff, not be all that good at flying them on the high end.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's about what I suspected. From what I've read, so much of their energy seems to be dreaming about being space super yacht owners in fidelitous space Second Life and very little of it seems to be about playing an actual good game. My guess is these are a bunch of well-off brogrammers with thousands of dollars to burn who really want the fantasy of having MILLIONS to burn.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

trucutru posted:

Oh, and there is a new ship on sale, the Odissey which is, let me check... A cargo hauler explorer pocket-carrier medical miner refinery with capital shields. It does it all*

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18438-Introducing-The-MISC-Odyssey

Secure yours now!

Now is the time because, as a concept ship, it'll get a 15-20% increase in price once it become flyable.

*most of all is not implemeted yet

Oh wow good news the JPEG concept art is in stock! What luck!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Dr. Honked posted:

Trudging through old familiar places is key to the epic space game experience

Not necessarily a bad thing as an occasional mood piece, in a story-driven game, or any game that isn't SC.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Kavros posted:

Elite Dangerous is tired and played out and it never made a real effort to bridge the immersion gap and integrate "you as a person, walking around" with "you as a ship pilot" so there's not a lot else to do there.

I don't play Elite or any space games but I find this one of the weird citizen mantras, like a game can only be truly immersive if you can control a human who then walks into a ship, as if there was any meaningful difference between pressing the up arrow and your human walking forward and pressing the up arrow and the ship moving around.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
That's a pretty apt way of capturing so much of the most obtrusive Backer Energy you see. They genuinely get caught up in the obsessive hypotheticals about what the ships they are buying are supposedly going to let them do in the future, but at present we are years away from any semblance of a game that functionally integrates any of that. The Carrack is essentially the patron god of fantasy spacecraft storytelling of the sort that whales obsess over. Hypothetically in the future you use the ship to collect a crew of people to go on fancy exploration missions and investigate far-off lands and have complex star trek style away missions and god knows what else is supposedly off on the horizon.

But none of that exists.

Moreover, nothing suggests that the developers have even made the initial headway into fundamental, preliminary implementation of any of that into the game experience. If the project collapses on itself, it will be well before they even touch what an "exploration" mission is, or where you explore, or what you do when you reach somewhere to explore. There's literally nothing there. It's a big fat space target which can carry some small to medium sized ground craft, a shuttle, and also do some cargo trading. But besides that, it's a $600 ship that accomplishes ... mostly nothing.

Does that matter to the structured profit incentive of Cloud Imperium as a company? Unfortunately not! As we speak they are releasing another version of the carrack by a different in-game manufacturer, called the Odyssey. It will contrast versus the Carrack in that it will instead cost $625 to do mostly nothing. And it will sell.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Rabelais D posted:

I don't play Elite or any space games but I find this one of the weird citizen mantras, like a game can only be truly immersive if you can control a human who then walks into a ship, as if there was any meaningful difference between pressing the up arrow and your human walking forward and pressing the up arrow and the ship moving around.

Yeah, that's one of the things that really got me about the experience, is that it really turns out that the whole layer of immersion involving being a person in your ship (as opposed to being a fixed perspective in the pilot seat of a ship) is actually a REALLY COOL THING. It really plays EXTREMELY well. I cannot oversell it. It is like 90% of the appeal of the combinatory game experience the PU offers. Literally anyone else even thinking about making a game in the same sort of sim vein should be paying very close attention to what you can learn from that. Elite should have, in fact, gotten on board with that for their last expansion. And I still don't think that SC should be the ones making that revelation.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

the simple answer is if the game ever comes out, the entire forums will be up in arms and demand they sell AI robot crew members

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Blue On Blue posted:

the simple answer is if the game ever comes out, the entire forums will be up in arms and demand they sell AI robot crew members

Yeah.

And here's where I'm at on that: I just don't get that they don't get it. It's fascinating. It should be very obvious to figure out that the hardline on the Roberts vision on multicrew is extremely flimsy and will not pan out. You will have NPC crew.

Here's an interesting observation related to that, based on our experience: In every ship they made and released prior to the recent Redeemer, there was no enduring point to multicrew. None. You do it a few times with a friend for the novelty and then quickly find out that the experience is better the second someone says "but wouldn't this just be more effective and fun if we just all brought our own ship?"

This has had strong implications on the game vision and how it collides with real, testable experience. Many ships, in fact, are failures in effective practice as a result.

Let's take for example the Hammerhead!

A ship which is designed to be played as a turret weapons platform, but requires you to have six additional players with you to man the ball turrets in order to truly utilize the offensive capacity of the platform. But it's big and slow, painfully klutzy to fly and exhaustingly dull to get out of a planetside orbit, and has no effective utility in PvE as a result. Also, sitting around ingame to wait to act as one of six turret gunners is a lot of dead time. It's pretty boring. People will not want to do it very often, even if the game explicitly puts in loops that thrust you into perfect conditions for enjoying turret play.

Additionally, if you took the seven players necessary to crew a Hammerhead and just put them all in individual combat craft, they would easily destroy the Hammerhead. Even if the individual combat craft are not originally intended for fighting capital class ships. Seven is just too much to fight.

So the Hammerhead is a giant lump that gathers dust in your ship inventory, something like 99% of the time. It will only be viable whatsoever with npc crew. Most of the level-headed or cynical game players know it, but the bulk of the fat backers just don't seem to want to acknowledge this. To the best of our understanding it seems to be because a lot of what they invest in this game for is for the 'right' to purchase their way into being the social hub that other humans will gravitate to as crew. They kind of don't want to accept that people aren't gonna line up to be an auxiliary for your corvettes and cruisers. They're gonna go out and have their own adventures.

Something about the loss of that premise seems to rub them roughly.

As usual, it's one of those things which is fascinating to behold in practice and keeps the psych drama safari going strong.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

what is the cult of personality like over the big whales?

do they come into a server / discord and act like they're kings, expect to be welcomed with a red carpet?

I always wondered how these marks handle themselves once they're 'known' by youtube, etc with a gamertag, experience some level of in-game celebrity

of course the twitter posts i've seem from them seem to suggest they have overly inflated ego's

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The game should have a sanity mechanic where if you see something bugging out you immediately start taking psyche damage until your nipple starts shooting pressurized jets of air to move around with and you head shoves itself up your rear end.

Adding the Eternal Darkness sanity mechanic would probably work very well with this, yeah :D

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Blue On Blue posted:

what is the cult of personality like over the big whales?

do they come into a server / discord and act like they're kings, expect to be welcomed with a red carpet?

I always wondered how these marks handle themselves once they're 'known' by youtube, etc with a gamertag, experience some level of in-game celebrity

of course the twitter posts i've seem from them seem to suggest they have overly inflated ego's

I'm paraphrasing again but the best title we have for their energy is that they are The Ghosts Of Idea Men.

Idea Men who actualize in any way get to direct projects, put ideas into practice. But these people are the bodyless spirits of that energy, unable to interface with the creative process. The second they start flexing their big backer energy you get the feeling of, like, they're these people with big ideas and big plans, but nothing real, only built up as a narrative in their own head. They've got all these big ideas for star citizen. They've got strategies for development. But all they got is that they blew concierge level money on the promise of a future digital space ship for a promise of a game that was supposed to be out in 2014. It's a weird energy. You can almost smell it over discord when they really get going. It's like axe body wash and shame.

So their Idea Man energy gets wrapped up in all these big adventures they really think they're gonna have when this game releases a product. Here's what I'm going to be doing with my idris. Here's what we'll do in our javelin. We have a company with a 42 page mission statement that we built and a founding ethos involving protocol for addressing senior officers of the guild, and IC conflict resolution protocol for breaches of Org operating procedure in-universe. Etc.

And they're not ultimately prepared for the event which collapses the waveform and leaves star citizen as a product that must be judged as an actual game release. They're not going to be ready for when SQ42 releases as a janky maybe-okayish singleplayer title with already dated graphics that gets judged for its overobsession with 2005-called-and-wants-their-mocap-acting-back cinematics, DOESN'T spark massive interest in the PU release, and doesn't set minds on fire.

Mainly, they just talk. They just want to talk about their ships. All the time. You really gotta hear their ideas about what they'll be doing on release. So many ideas.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
drat Kavros, them some good posts

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Kavros posted:

So the Hammerhead is a giant lump that gathers dust in your ship inventory, something like 99% of the time. It will only be viable whatsoever with npc crew. Most of the level-headed or cynical game players know it, but the bulk of the fat backers just don't seem to want to acknowledge this. To the best of our understanding it seems to be because a lot of what they invest in this game for is for the 'right' to purchase their way into being the social hub that other humans will gravitate to as crew. They kind of don't want to accept that people aren't gonna line up to be an auxiliary for your corvettes and cruisers. They're gonna go out and have their own adventures.

This really feels like the real motivation behind a lot of SC nerds.

They're really just looking for a way to buy into friendship in their space game.

Kavros posted:

So their Idea Man energy gets wrapped up in all these big adventures they really think they're gonna have when this game releases a product. Here's what I'm going to be doing with my idris. Here's what we'll do in our javelin. We have a company with a 42 page mission statement that we built and a founding ethos involving protocol for addressing senior officers of the guild, and IC conflict resolution protocol for breaches of Org operating procedure in-universe. Etc.

The part of this that is the most hilarious is that... the space game with political & personal intrigue and such already exists. It's called EVE Online and it's really loving great at being able to roleplay the space role you want to be.

I guess you can't walk around in your ship tho...

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 28, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thank you! It's legitimately fascinating. Let me know if you want a new av or gang tag!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

sebmojo posted:

Thank you! It's legitimately fascinating. Let me know if you want a new av or gang tag!

Ooh I think I have an idea, I'll go look. How about you, any questions? Are you headed in?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kavros posted:

Ooh I think I have an idea, I'll go look. How about you, any questions? Are you headed in?

Oh but I like your avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

tuo posted:

AC owns, yeah. Also give R3E a try, it’s an overlooked treasure imo and IIRC F2P (for couple of tracks and cars, the rest has to be bought) and they usually have pretty good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals like “get all the content for 75% off, which is still some money…like…I guess a tonk in Star Citizen or so. Also has a pretty good VR implementation. In regard to VR, if PCars2 is on a good deal, give it a try. It’s no hardcore sim and the AI is stupid as gently caress, but the weather effects etc. are really something everyone should have experienced. Running through the night at Nords in an LMP1-coffin while a thunderstorm roars is cool.

I got AC via steam sale - like 90% off; bought Corsa and Competizione. I bought the T300rs GT racing wheel set and will be doing the Load cell upgrade on the brake. It came with iRacing sub free for one year.