Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cubone posted:

The Messenger

how'd you like it? i liked it the whole way through. it was really weird to have a huge lore dump at the very end though. didn't really fit the tone of the rest of the game. i don't even remember what it was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

how'd you like it? i liked it the whole way through. it was really weird to have a huge lore dump at the very end though. didn't really fit the tone of the rest of the game. i don't even remember what it was about.

Yeah. I liked the game a lot overall tho

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Eggerland Mystery

No Don Medusas, Leepers or Rocky and Skulls are half normal speed but otherwise feels like Lolo always feels. Pretty easy overall but long as hell.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i beat Metroid Dread hard mode with an IGT of 4:39:20. going to go for sub-4 Normal next and then sub-4 Hard after, I got lost a few times in this playthrough and it was pretty leisurely in general so plenty of easy time to knock off

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

b_d posted:

I skipped that cutscene lol
no idea what was going on by the end

I wasn't going to post my thoughts because, I don't have much to say about all the ways that it's good, and it would take a while to explain the things I didn't like, and I didn't want to sit here mostly bitching about a good game that I enjoyed

I guess I could just say I liked it? I somehow bought it without knowing about its big gimmick, so that was a cool turn. I liked the moment-to-moment gameplay, it's really good at getting you into the zone

I mostly just hated some of the layout choices
time gates blocking the only entrance to an area so you have to backtrack to get in there in the other time period, and maybe there's a secret there or maybe it's just an unclimbable wall, and in either case you'll probably have to backtrack again
screens that punish you for rushing in with instant kill smashers, which, fine, whatever, I don't have a problem with that on principle, but the rest of the game makes rushing in feel loving awesome, and they're always like 5 screens deep from the last checkpoint, so I keep getting into a flow on the way there and then blundering into the same deathtrap like an rear end in a top hat
also the shopkeeper's music kept getting stuck in my head
I guess that's it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLZ8o5rzhyk

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
37. Medal of Honor: European Assault (Normal)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

shin megami tensei: nocturne - true demon ending (normal difficulty)

after playing 1 and 2, 3 is an incredible jrpg. press turn rules extremely hard. I don't like how there aren't many choices to be made, does siding with someone get you anything special? avoiding a fight and a different ending maybe? in 1/2 your alignment would get you unique demons and send you on different paths.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

mbt posted:

shin megami tensei: nocturne - true demon ending (normal difficulty)

after playing 1 and 2, 3 is an incredible jrpg. press turn rules extremely hard. I don't like how there aren't many choices to be made, does siding with someone get you anything special? avoiding a fight and a different ending maybe? in 1/2 your alignment would get you unique demons and send you on different paths.

Yeah siding with a Reason gets you an ending with that Reason. I did Musubi path and I didn't have to fight Noah for instance. I think if you side with Chiaki you still have to fight Baal Avatar because her Reason is all about ruling through strength.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
inscryption. pretty fun even if youre not into card games and has some good twists if you go in blind.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i beat megaman 9 again, cleared the Invincible challenge this time which means i did the robot master stages individually and all of wily each without dying

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Celeste - All B-Sides

Beat the base game a while ago before they added chapters 8 and 9. 8 was fun but I didn't like the gimmicks in the last chapter.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suikoden

Not as good as the sequel of course, but still very good, and its only 20 hours in length.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Resident Evil 3 Remake
2. Super Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury
3. Deus Ex
4. Persona 5 Strikers
5. Nier Replicant
6. Resident Evil: Village
7. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition - Paragon, romanced Liara, Sentinel
8. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - Paragon, didn't cheat on Liara, Infiltrator, all DLC done
9. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - Paragon, synthesis, stayed with Liara, all DLC done
10. Episode of Yuffie
11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
12. Halo 3 Co-Op (replay)
13. Halo 4 Co-Op
14. Yakuza 4
15.The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
16. Quake
17. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
18. The Punisher (1993) (Genesis)
19. Wild Guns - Annie
20. Actraiser
21. Gitaroo Man Lives
22. Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve
23. Metroid Dread
24. Luigi's Mansion
25. Metroid: Zero Mission
26. Ultrakill
27. Halo 5: Guardians

Decided to do this real quick before Infinite comes out. Probably the weakest campaign of all of them so far. At least Infinite is a big improvement on MP, hope the campaign is as cool as it looks.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Forma.8

Solid Metroidvania that leans heavily towards exploration and puzzle style of bosses instead of combat. Hard to recommend with the terrible map though

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Sethian

learning the grammar of a made-up alien language to get information from one of their computers is a cool idea, but it has all the problems of normal text parsers except in a made up alien language, and the game is more about... uh, like, the philosophical question of whether self-determination is more valuable than lasting contentment? and it's so excited to get there that it basically leads you by the nose for the entire ~2 hours of game

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Baxate posted:

Suikoden

Not as good as the sequel of course, but still very good, and its only 20 hours in length.

yeah i like how short it is

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

18) Fight Knight

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

13. Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster, All Achievements

this was a better port than IV, but i still have some issues. it's kind of a shame because a lot of love was put into remastering the soundtrack and re-doing the art. it looks and sounds really good. in particular, i think more effort was put into the music than the previous 4 games. this is the best version of the soundtrack, no question, and it makes me excited for the ff6 one. the quicksave feature is cool and the autobattle/fast-forward feature really improves old JRPGs. the map feels as good as it does in other final fantasy games. i actually think the bestiary is easier in this game than in final fantasy 4. i'm sure some of the bugs i ran into will be fixed because i already saw that happen with ff4, but the UI has a few problems:

i've played this emulated on SNES and GBA and on the Playstation port (i never tried the now nonexistant steam/ios version) and i genuinely can't remember if these are in every version of ff5. these seem like minor complaints, but they were big hassles for me: when selecting jobs, i would like to see how much AP is required for the next level of each one. that seems like an easy corner indicator that could fit on the screen, and i feel like it was in at least the PS and GBA versions, but maybe i'm misremembering. also, there should be a way to check which spells you have without actually equipping the ability for that spell. also pretty sure that i used to be able to do that. any other complaints i have about this game are related to the original ff5 (you should learn blue magic when a monster uses the ability instead of having to get hit by it, particularly for the Level [whatever] spells, steal should automatically succeed, etc.). this is version i would recommend for people picking up final fantasy 5 for the first time, but i don't know if i can recommend it to experienced players.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I've played the SNES version recently, you can do those things. I did like in the pixel remaster you can switch abilities without constantly having to re-adjust your equipment, but those are some very odd omissions.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a short hike. cute game, worth the five bucks i paid for it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

19) Tetris Effect: Connected Journey mode

That was so cool

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

19) Tetris Effect: Connected Journey mode

That was so cool

congrats. TE is amazing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

congrats. TE is amazing.

It's awesome. Gives me the same kind of feeling as messing with winamp visualizers for the first time when I was like 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUwcdAbfjw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can use left stick to zoom in on the playing field so you're not looking at Tetris For Ants, but I guess if you play a lot of PPT you're already used to that scale.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I should play it more, it’s one of the most soothing games I’ve ever played

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Evil Eagle posted:

It's awesome. Gives me the same kind of feeling as messing with winamp visualizers for the first time when I was like 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUwcdAbfjw

this is cool i've never seen any tetris effect footage outside of maybe some trailers that would cut every 3 seconds.

i notice you start cheating at around 43 seconds in, though. kind of embarrassing to post that.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

T spin effect.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
please play the other mizuguchi games. Thanks

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

3. Deus Ex
4. Persona 5 Strikers
5. Nier Replicant
8. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - Paragon, didn't cheat on Liara, Infiltrator, all DLC done
9. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - Paragon, synthesis, stayed with Liara, all DLC done
10. Episode of Yuffie
13. Halo 4 Co-Op
14. Yakuza 4
16. Quake
19. Wild Guns - Annie
20. Actraiser
21. Gitaroo Man Lives
23. Metroid Dread
24. Luigi's Mansion
26. Ultrakill
28. John Woo's Stranglehold

Some really frustrating parts and bosses are definitely not a highlight, but overall a really fun game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

please play the other mizuguchi games. Thanks

I've played Lumines and space channel 5. But not Rez

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I've played Lumines and space channel 5. But not Rez

play it now. Or die. samesuch to me.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shin Megami Tensei V - Law ending. Loved it. I have a few minor nitpicks about game balance and stuff but nothing that seriously drags it down. The combat system is as great as ever and I loved the new open-world format even though I was skeptical when it was first announced. The presentation in terms of graphics, art design, audio, animations, etc are all incredible. Definitely my favorite out of the SMT games I've played (3, 4, 4A, and now 5), probably one of my favorite games ever. Definitely my GOTY although I liked Nier: Replicant so much that I might call them both that.

Still got the superbosses to take out, the one from the base game as well as Cleopatra and Demi-Fiend from the DLC, the base game one killed me a couple times and I haven't tried the others yet, but after spending all that time grinding to get myself and a lot of my demons to lvl 99 I was ready to just go ahead and see the ending, I'll load the pre-final boss save after a while to take them out before the inevitable full NG+ run in the future.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Roth posted:

3. Deus Ex
4. Persona 5 Strikers
5. Nier Replicant
10. Episode of Yuffie
13. Halo 4 Co-Op
14. Yakuza 4
16. Quake
19. Wild Guns - Annie
20. Actraiser
21. Gitaroo Man Lives
23. Metroid Dread
24. Luigi's Mansion
26. Ultrakill
28. John Woo's Stranglehold

Some really frustrating parts and bosses are definitely not a highlight, but overall a really fun game

stupid rear end game but it's pretty sick

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Shin Megami Tensei V - Neutral Ending

godlike game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Finished 2 aoe2 campaigns today

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i 1cc'd mega man 1 tonight but ive done it before so im not counting it for this year, would like to get no death some time but hte fire man refight is a bitch and takes like half my healthbar at least. got a couple of lucky 1up drops from enemies which was epic

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Sniper Elite 4
2) Door Kickers 2
3) Mass Effect
4) Mass Effect 2
5) Mass Effect 3
6) Control
7) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
8) Suzerain
9) Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts
10) Far Cry 5
11) Just Cause 3

Well, I've at least reached double-digits (finally) for games completed this year, for whatever that's worth! :D I haven't 100%ed JC3, however I beat all the missions, liberated all provinces, collected the many collectibles and topped all the friend list leaderboards I came across, so I'm happy to consider it done. All that's left are a bunch of the random challenges around the place, but eh - I've had my fill of Medici for now.

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed that I beat SE4 back at the end of Jan, so I've added that to the list. One more and I've beaten one game a month - not much, but I'm pretty sure that's better than I did last year!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
38. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (100% Completion)