Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Floppychop posted:

Finally painting my goblin Blood Bowl team and decided to try a cel-shaded/comic style. I think it worked? I'm not in love with the metal but am fairly happy with the rest.

I haven't done much with that style, but I think it benefits from a solid blob of highlight color as well as the hard black outlines.

New page, so here's a tiny tank I'm working on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Still need to finish the base, but I think this guy is done otherwise

citadel paints unless specified: caliban green, kantor blue, catachan flesh, bloodreaver flesh, Vallejo flat green, agrax earthshade, nuln oil, karak stone, dawnstone, averland sunset, leadbelcher, temple guard blue, knight-questor flesh, stormhost silver, abaddon black, Vallejo Foul green

I gotta think of a way to get the same effect but maybe do like, 10 paints instead of 15....I could probably cut dawnstone out I guess, and maybe even leadbelcher

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 28, 2021

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Painted my first HQ model for my Death Guard. Had some difficulty with those insanely tiny maggots -- I don't have a clue how anyone could paint models at the 6mm scale when these were so tedious/difficult.

I'm satisfied to go ahead and mark this as done and get to work on the next item.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So I tried making some mini carrying cases using magnetized bases and magnetic sheets a la the Duncan Rhodes Video on making a case, and the magnetic sheets I got are hot garage. They can stick to a fridge but thats it. I can't even feel them with my magnetic implants.

Anyone tried out making a travel case like this before, or know of decent strong magnetic strips?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Wrr posted:

So I tried making some mini carrying cases using magnetized bases and magnetic sheets a la the Duncan Rhodes Video on making a case, and the magnetic sheets I got are hot garage. They can stick to a fridge but thats it. I can't even feel them with my magnetic implants.

Anyone tried out making a travel case like this before, or know of decent strong magnetic strips?

I haven't made one, but this video has me tempted to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4u7Vkd0eks

I might give it a shot, but I'm also probably just going to buy one designed for the purpose even if it's a little pricey. Something like this one.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Aranan posted:

I haven't made one, but this video has me tempted to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4u7Vkd0eks

I might give it a shot, but I'm also probably just going to buy one designed for the purpose even if it's a little pricey. Something like this one.

Of course Vince is the answer. Vince was always the answer.

Okay, ya, I should just go to the hardware store and touch stuff till I can feel the pull. that should help.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wrr posted:

I just superglued some galvanized steel to the bottom of a clear plastic shoebox, and glued the magnets to the bottom of the base (easier when the bases are raised like with wargames. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for my D&D minis that have a flat base....

Now that I think of it, I could just buy some basic larger bases from aliexpress, which do have a hollow bottom, and use those for the D&D minis instead. I tend to like larger minis anyways, so that might work.

Oh, 1 neo magnet is fine for these sized minis, but for larger ones (like Space Wolves' Thunderwolves, you'll need two neo magnets, because of their weight.)

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Working through the Hexfire box, really like how these turned out.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Those colors are gorgeous.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Where do you get these giant coins?

Also, amazing.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Wrr posted:

I followed his approach and it worked very well except that in Australia you can only get magnetised sheets by import and they are expensive.

The particular boxes he recommends are also expensive but I found some much cheaper ones at Bunnings, for Ausgoon reference.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Painted a 3D printed Master Chief:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

:eyepop:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wrr posted:

Don't get those magnetic strips. Get some cheap magnets that are 2x5mm and then go to walmart or target and find a baking tray that these magnets stick to. I found some trays for $5 each. Then take that tray over to where the plastic boxes are and find a box the tray fits in.

All in all I built a pretty decent carrying case for $20

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Don't show us the render, show us the model you painted! [/joke]

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cross-posting from the Oath thread. I painted some Marienburgers!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Been a bit of a busy week, so not got much painting done. Did finally build some figures that have been sitting around waiting for a while though.

Some Sanctioned Spellcasters

And Thalarian Quellers (all Malifaux 2E/3E)

I liked the Sanctioned Spellcasters until I came to actually paint them, when they started to annoy me. Not a huge amount of detail, but what there was tended to be fiddly/hard to reach (goggle straps between the back of the head and a massive collar, that sort of thing). Plus they are all levitating with their billowing cloaks supporting the figure, but all I could think about is "What about when they are walking somewhere? They'll be tripping over that thing the whole drat time". Plus even when floating its trailing on the ground, is it not going to be constantly wicking up water and mud?

The Quellers... I like the male one a whole bunch. The undershirt and braces gives a real "you've interrupted the grumpy steampunk wizard just as he was getting in from work and now he's pissed" vibe. The female one is fine but they very much do not look like they belong in the same faction let alone are the same troop type. Its not a bad figure by any stretch, but it feels like the sculptor spent all his time on the male one, realised he was supposed to make two sculpts and slapped some goggles and a bolt pistol on a "barbarian sorceress" 3d render he had lying around and called it a day.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Where on the web has the best in stock Vallejo paint stock? My LGS doesn't have what I need, miniaturemarket is OOS, I think I heard the head of that michigantoysoldier place is a sex perv, other places???

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

tangy yet delightful posted:

Where on the web has the best in stock Vallejo paint stock? My LGS doesn't have what I need, miniaturemarket is OOS, I think I heard the head of that michigantoysoldier place is a sex perv, other places???

Hmm, you're definitely ruling out sex-pervs? I mean, have you thought about maybe trying a different hobby.

There's probably a low number of sex-perv owned businesses in the jigsaw-puzzle or.... uhhh... philately hobby spaces.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You're suggesting the hobby that by design involves putting tongues to backsides is likely to have less perverts?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://shop.lastcavalry.com/

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

And yes, the owner of Mich Toy is a garbage person. I wrote "purportedly" below but it's since been confirmed to be the case. If you've got some patreon budget, please consider supporting https://www.patreon.com/minmaxminis

Cat Face Joe posted:

I know people here like Michigan Toy Soldier. It's looking like the owner of Mich Toy harrased a woman worker and painting streamer to the point she quit working at the store. Some painters are dropping them as sponsors.

This is purportedly a run down of her experiences there. Content warning for sexual harassment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFTkITo9fss1VESh7u7uzqlGH6iDnSeXtBeTs-dt5Ew/edit?usp=drivesdk

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the link, unfortunately they have none of the 4 colors I'm looking for. Google tells me the local Hobbytown USA might have 2 of the 4, I think I'll check them out tomorrow. But I might have to buy some Citadel paints just due to stocking issues (alas my desire to swap to all dropper bottles takes a hit).

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Thanks for the link, unfortunately they have none of the 4 colors I'm looking for. Google tells me the local Hobbytown USA might have 2 of the 4, I think I'll check them out tomorrow. But I might have to buy some Citadel paints just due to stocking issues (alas my desire to swap to all dropper bottles takes a hit).

https://www.fantization.com/ has pretty good prices and selection of Vallejo stuff and I have ordered from them before.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

had some time to build and prime a scene!

first time ive made my own tree. used wire and spackle.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
That's awesome. It's cool to see where that spectre ended up. It's gonna fit really well with that setup.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
If you are worried about magnet quality, just buy N42 or N52 magnets from https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

They're the only online retailer that has magnets of expected strength, and actually are the dimensions they advertise.

Every other pack I've ordered has come in at the wrong dimensions or are half the strength they should be. K&J is worth the markup.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Greetings thread. My daughter and I started playing D&D a couple months ago, which meant getting some minis, so I started lurking in this thread, and recently did some painting for the first time since 1983-5 when teen-age me badly painted D&D minis. I also discovered Warhammer / Kill Team, so I have a whole new range to paint badly. Here's some of what I have done the last month, which thanks to the advice here came out not too bad I think. These are in chronological order, so hopefully there is some improvement over time. Still need to work on contrast, smoother blends (although my camera and crappy picture taking seems to make them look worse than they are) and learning to take better pictures.

Some of the Orc Kill Team.:

Members of the Kreig Kill Team (the silver came out crazy shiny in the photo):

An Umber Hulk, who will be my Devout demon in Reign in Hell:

Lastly, a Slaad I'm going to use for my Reign in Hell leader demon:

Thanks to everyone in the thread for sharing info and posting pictures for inspiration!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hell yeah those are cool. The green skin on the orks came out nicely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The rusty/bronze knifes look great, definitely stealing that idea for my Kommandos (which I'm 100% definitely getting to this week...)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you were going to try and do zen garden bases (which a google search for reference images tells me is more properly a "Japanese Dry Garden"), what would you use? I started a test base with a Vellejo texture paste but I could immediately tell it wasnt going to go well, the texture was a little thin for doing the lines (at least with the sculpting tool I was using), I tried a "structure paste" which I think I got from flying tiger but it was far too grainy (makes good mud texture but has a mixed texture with some comparatively big lumps that get pulled about when you try and put lines in). Have smeared some wall filler on a base which holds the lines much better, but I suspect when I try to paint it its going to look more like lines carved in concrete than raked gravel. I'm also going to try carving the rake lines in when its dry, see how that goes, probably try the same with the texture paste.

My backup plan is green stuff with... I dunno, maybe baking soda or model railway ballast glued on top for actual texture, but that seems like frankly a pain in the arse, I've got like 15 warrior monks in search of a basing theme so easier is better. Its not the end of the world if I cant get it to look right, the monks can just do their kung fu in a grassy field or something instead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Huh, Rosemary and Co. can't ship kolinsky sable brushes to the US. Does anyone have any experience with materials they will ship?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Moon Monster posted:

Huh, Rosemary and Co. can't ship kolinsky sable brushes to the US. Does anyone have any experience with materials they will ship?

They probably just haven't bothered to get CITES certification, which is required for shipping pure Kolinsky into the US. You could seek out another retailer, or just go for any other brush type. I know there are few out their that have the proper certification to skip Kolinsky into the US, but damned if I can remember who they are.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 1, 2021

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Windriver Arts is their US distributor: https://www.windriverarts.com/Brushes.htm

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They probably just haven't bothered to get CITES certification, which is required for shipping pure Kolinsky into the US. You could seek out another retailer, or just go for any other brush type. I know there are few out their that have the proper certification to skip Kolinsky into the US, but damned if I can remember who they are.

ape!!! posted:

Windriver Arts is their US distributor: https://www.windriverarts.com/Brushes.htm

Thanks for the info. Like 50% of why they're my preferred brush brand is because they actually package them well for shipping but I might give Windriver a shot.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

edit: oops

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Still in progress, but I'm trying to decide on the pustules/buboes color. Magos purple? Nazdreg yellow?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Magos Purple will stick out in a way that might work or might look weird, if you want to risk it maybe try one pustule in a hard-to-see location and make sure you like the look before you do all of them. I think Nazdreg Yellow would be too orange to blend well.

Maybe a 50/50 mix of Plaguebearer and Camo Green?

Skeleton Horde would also probably work pretty well.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Testing on the underside makes a ton of sense. There are a bunch of boils there that I could try it out on.

I was thinking I kind of wanted the spots to stand out and break up the giant mass of green, but I'll be sure to make sure they're not too distracting first. Good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
some more rats